Hue Jackson and Zimmer possible coaching options

[quote]If Lewis isn't in Cincinnati next season, it most likely will be of his choosing. If Lewis doesn't return, the names that have been mentioned in the whisper vine (agents, some NFL personnel employees, media) as possible replacements are Zimmer, who is loved by Bengals fans, and Oakland offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, who used to coach the wide receivers for Cincinnati. If Oakland keeps playing the way it has been, Jackson's star will rise and put him in demand. He's been a fringe riser in the past few years and he's getting hotter with each Raiders victory.[/quote]
[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c2a755/article/bengals-among-leagues-biggest-disappointments?module=HP_spotlight"]Source[/url]

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1289973845' post='942224']
[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c2a755/article/bengals-among-leagues-biggest-disappointments?module=HP_spotlight"]Source[/url]
[/quote]

Neither have head coaching experience and we have had far too many first rate assistant coaches come in
here and die.

I want someone who knows what its all about, someone who has had another team to work out the kinks and
learn from their mistakes. For the Bengals, Forrest Greg is the carved in stone prime example.
Failure in Cleveland, Super Bowl in Cincinnati.

Look at our laundry list of excellent assistants who failed here. Dick LeBeau, Coslet, and Marvin Lewis because I
do not consider mediocrity a mark of a winner unless you go with "only the mediocre are at their very best" and
play the whole season to defeat Pittsburgh rather than make it to the Super Bowl- and win it.

Hue of OC and kiss Zim's patoot to stay as DC.

But someone who has been there before, preferably successfully or its like the directions on a bottle of shampoo.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat. When does it stop?

Bring someone who has been there before.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1289988646' post='942230']
Neither have head coaching experience and we have had far too many first rate assistant coaches come in
here and die.

I want someone who knows what its all about, someone who has had another team to work out the kinks and
learn from their mistakes. For the Bengals, Forrest Greg is the carved in stone prime example.

Look at our laundry list of excellent assistants who failed here. Dick LeBeau, Coslet, and Marvin Lewis because I
do not consider mediocrity a mark of a winner unless you go with "only the mediocre are at their very best" and
play the whole season to defeat Pittsburgh rather than make it to the Super Bowl- and win it.

But someone who has been there before, preferably successfully or its like the directions on a bottle of shampoo.

[/quote]

How many proven, experienced coaches do you think would want this job?

We almost have to hire a coordinator looking for a chance.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1290002907' post='942261']
How many proven, experienced coaches do you think would want this job?

We almost have to hire a coordinator looking for a chance.
[/quote]

Exactly. Cincinnati is not considered to be a prime destination, most coaches do not want the aggravation. I have heard from various people with NFL connections(former players, coaches, broadcasters) that the NFL fraternity considers Marvin to be a miracle worker to have done what he's done with Mike as the owner. If we get a coach with former head coaching experience, it would probably be someone like Juaron, Crennel, or Mornhinweg. Hell, with Mike we may get Brat as the HC.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1289988646' post='942230']
here and die.

[/quote]

Sure, there have been quite a few assistants brought in that have been failures. One of the assistants we failed to secure went on to do pretty good. Bill Walsh.

I don't believe the current roster of coaches stand a chance of making the turn around needed. A coach that has been there before will run an arm and a leg in terms of contract requirements (money and power). Our next coach, if the coach comes from a list of coaches that have [b]been there before[/b], will break the bank. Not sure that is the path the ownership wants to take. There are not too many outside sources I would consider to have much faith in to take the reigns of the Bengals.

In other words, [b]"Lather, Rinse, Repeat."[/b]

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1290004349' post='942269']
Exactly. Cincinnati is not considered to be a prime destination, most coaches do not want the aggravation. I have heard from various people with NFL connections(former players, coaches, broadcasters) that the NFL fraternity considers Marvin to be a miracle worker to have done what he's done with Mike as the owner. [size="2"][b]If we get a coach with former head coaching experience, it would probably be someone like Juaron, Crennel, or Mornhinweg. Hell, with Mike we may get Brat as the HC.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

I just puked in my mouth.....
I think I am going to need to leave work early today...

I would like for the Bengals to take a serious look at Russ Grimm, the former offensive line coach with the Steelers and now with the Cardinals. Remember he and Whisenhunt were in the hunt for the head coaching job when Cowher left but the Rooneys had to go with their rule and hire a minority. Hue Jackson would also be a good choice. All of this assuming Mike goes with the assistant again. Also, don't rule out Bratkowski being promoted to HC given the way Mike thinks and his loyalty to Bratkowski. I'm not saying it would be a good choice I am just saying keep in mind this is Mike we are talking about and when does he use good sense when making a decision like this. I hope the family talks to other NFL front offices about a possible HC choice and has more input into the decision like last time when Marvin was the choice. Marvin wasn't a bad choice just a choice that would not demand much and that is what Mike wants.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1290010489' post='942307']
Rob Ryan anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone????
[/quote]

I was seriously thinking that yesterday. Rob Ryan, Mike Leach, and Zimmer. That would be so entertaining. We'd get so many awesome quotes every week. Winning or losing wouldn't matter, the coaches alone would be worth the price of Sunday Ticket.

I've always loved the Buddy Ryan family, ever since Buddy punched out that Gilbride guy on the sidelines. The things Rob and Rex do are also really funny.

I've wanted Rob since he was a Raider DC. I also like his badass hair. Very pirate-like.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1290007593' post='942292']
I understand, bro. It makes me sick just thinking about it, as well.
[/quote]

I have prepared myself for this ish next year already. I put the odds at 50/50 Brat is still here in 2011 (either hc or oc). In fact I would put money the only major change next year will be Marvin leaving but the three main coaching spots will be filled by people already employed as Bengals coaches.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290010715' post='942308']
I was seriously thinking that yesterday. Rob Ryan, Mike Leach, and Zimmer. That would be so entertaining. We'd get so many awesome quotes every week. Winning or losing wouldn't matter, the coaches alone would be worth the price of Sunday Ticket.

I've always loved the Buddy Ryan family, ever since Buddy punched out that Gilbride guy on the sidelines. The things Rob and Rex do are also really funny.

I've wanted Rob since he was a Raider DC. I also like his badass hair. Very pirate-like.
[/quote]

Fuck Rob Ryan. He's a goddam idiot.

If we're going to get a Defensive Coordinator for our next head coach, it may as well be Zimmer.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1290012621' post='942314']
Fuck Rob Ryan. He's a goddam idiot.

If we're going to get a Defensive Coordinator for our next head coach, it may as well be Zimmer.
[/quote]

Why is he an idiot? How is he worse than his brother? He DOES have cool hair, that has to count for something.

Asking for opinions.

What are Marvin's options if he does not sign?

Head coach for one of vacant NFL positions - unlikely, too much competition
Head coach in college ranks - still unlikely. he doesn't strike me as much of recruiter
DC to a new team - most likely
Broadcast booth - likely if other options fail
GM for Cincy (I add that only b/c it's been brought up in other threads) - seriously unlikely

I expect he'd get a DC gig but would have less salary, and uproot the family. It wouldn't suprise me to see him be Cowhead's DC in Carolina. Do that for a few years and work his name back to the top of the Head coach short list. I expect he'll get the chance again, but it'll take a few to several years. So, if that's the most likely, it'd be hard not to take the contract extension and I would think he'll get some concessions.

Do you think MB's offer is still on the table?

I think that what we should hope for is that Mike gives Marvin what he's asking for. I think he's earned it. If these coaches hands are tied with how much input they really have in player selection or in the number of scouts etc; firing them and bringing in someone else will change nothing.

Maybe Lewis hasnt accepted a new deal with us because him and Mikey have a master plan!

Marvin Lewis for GM!!

How sweet would it be if we got Marvin as GM, then a solid coach maybe a Rob Ryan, or a
John Gruden, or something, then replace the OC. Hell id even take Sois's boy for OC
if we get a good HC and Marvin as GM.

Obviously it wont happen, but someone can dream right?

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1290015936' post='942328']
I think that what we should hope for is that Mike gives Marvin what he's asking for. I think he's earned it. If these coaches hands are tied with [b]how much input they really have in player selection or in the number of scouts etc; [/b]firing them and bringing in someone else will change nothing.
[/quote]

I don't think Marvin wants the job, no matter what the $$$. It's all based on that bold stuff in your post.

Archived