Cam Newton is a beast

[size="5"][b]Cam Newton is a beast[/b]
[/size]November 15th, 2010 | [url="http://www.allproblogger.com/category/bengals/"]Bengals[/url], [url="http://www.allproblogger.com/category/college-football/"]College Football[/url], [url="http://www.allproblogger.com/category/nfl/"]NFL[/url], [url="http://www.allproblogger.com/category/personal/"]Personal[/url]
[b]
[/b]

Since this is becoming a hot topic in the comments section, I'm going to make it a post. I responded to a few readers here that depending on where the Bengals are selecting in next years draft, I would seriously consider taking Auburn QB Cam Newton. I know that a lot of things would have to happen for this to come true, but for arguments sake, why not? The Bengals offense can't even function with all of the so called weapons that they have now. Carson Palmer is what every team dreams of when they are looking for a QB, big arm, intelligent, good character, hard worker, perfect QB body. The Bengals have a TE that can make plays, they have a good RB, and they have accomplished WRs. They still have a bunch of problems. What about adding someone who can make things happen when all else fails? Cam Newton can do that. I know he has some issues going on down at Auburn, but that has more to do with his father. People will say that he has only started one year, and I will say that there are four year college starters that can't get it done in the NFL. It all depends on the kid and how hard he works. QBs Alex Smith, Tim Couch, and David Carr were good kids and hard workers, didn't work out. QB's Jamarcus Russell and Akili Smith weren't hard workers and they didn't make it either. But if people screamed for Tim Tebow to get drafted in round one last year, then Cam Newton is definitely worth a higher pick. He is a better runner and a better passer, bigger and faster than Tebow. For the record, I rank the QBs for next years draft in this order….Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Ryan Mallett. I'm thinking there will/should be major roster changes to the Bengals next year, bringing in play makers should be at the top of that list whether it is Cam Newton or not.

A comment from JT ...

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/"][color="#660000"]JT[/color][/url]

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/11/15/cam-newton-is-a-beast/#comment-8327"][color="#999999"]November 15th, 2010 at 11:49 am[/color][/url]

I wouldn’t focus on OL. This team needs play makers!!! [img]http://www.allproblogger.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img] plain and simple. I watch every college football game I can on saturdays. So many guys that I would choose from. QBs Luck, Newton, Mallet…RB Ingram(great player), WRs Green, J Blackmon, J Baldwin, J Jones

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/11/15/cam-newton-is-a-beast/"]http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/11/15/cam-newton-is-a-beast/[/url]

Another comment from JT ...

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/11/15/cam-newton-is-a-beast/#comment-8377"][color="#999999"]November 16th, 2010 at 1:33 pm[/color][/url]

I think Marvin is the best coach for how this organization is structured. He can handle the guys that they keep bringing in. But a different offensive approach is needed. These players aren’t getting it for some reason. So they need to figure out a new direction and then see which players fit that direction, Carson included.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1289995935' post='942240']
[b]I wouldn’t focus on OL[/b]. This team needs play makers!!! [img]http://www.allproblogger.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img] plain and simple. I watch every college football game I can on saturdays. So many guys that I would choose from. QBs Luck, Newton, Mallet…RB Ingram(great player), WRs Green, J Blackmon, J Baldwin, J Jones
[/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1289996074' post='942241']
I think Marvin is the best coach for how this organization is structured. He can handle the guys that they keep bringing in. [b]But a different offensive approach is needed[/b]. These players aren’t getting it for some reason. So they need to figure out a new direction and then see which players fit that direction, Carson included.
[/quote]

What the hell does John Thornton know???

:ninja:

right, Go?

Newton has more issues than just the recruiting fiasco.

Off the field, he was almost expelled 3 times for cheating when he was at Florida. He was arrested for Burglary and was caught with the stolen item in his possession. Plus being accused of taking money to play for Auburn. His intelligence is questionable.

On the field, he is a running QB in a spread option offense. He doesn't have to make reads. He is a 1 year starter and a very raw passer.

I am extremely weary of Newton as a NFL quarterback.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290003026' post='942263']
I'd sooner try and turn Cam Newton into a Brandon Jacobs type RB than I would an NFL QB.
[/quote]

I dunno. I'm certainly not advocating we draft the kid, but to say he would be a better RB than a QB is wild. He is raw, I'll give you that but he has an absolute cannon of an arm. I think he's a better looking prospect than Jamarcus Russell as well. I would fight that comparison.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1289996074' post='942241']

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/2010/11/15/cam-newton-is-a-beast/#comment-8377"][color="#999999"]November 16th, 2010 at 1:33 pm[/color][/url]

I think Marvin is the best coach for how this organization is structured. He can handle the guys that they keep bringing in. But a different offensive approach is needed. These players aren’t getting it for some reason. So they need to figure out a new direction and then see which players fit that direction, Carson included.
[/quote]
I have an idea. How about we change our structure to be more in line with what SUCCESSFUL organizations do. So Marvin is the perfect coach to run a mediocre organization. God, that has to look good on a resume.

Cam Newton will never be a successful QB in the NFL. He is a low IQ thug.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290005067' post='942278']
I have an idea. How about we change our structure to be more in line with what SUCCESSFUL organizations do. So Marvin is the perfect coach to run a mediocre organization. God, that has to look good on a resume.

Cam Newton will never be a successful QB in the NFL. He is a low IQ thug.
[/quote]

I diagree...

Cam Newton what everyone thought Pryor would be coming out of high school... Dude is a freak that can both run and pass very well...

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1290006458' post='942283']
I diagree...

Cam Newton what everyone thought Pryor would be coming out of high school... Dude is a freak that can both run and pass very well...
[/quote]
Nonsense. He couldn't read a defense if he bought the audio version. How many teams run a spread option in the NFL? Zero still right? aKillme played in a spread option and Klinger played in the run and shoot (almost the same). Find me the current successful spread offense QB in the NFL and maybe I will change my mind.

BTW, the spread offense is creating a vacuum of competent O lineman. The lineman coming out of these programs can not run block and suck from the 3 point stance.

Newton is in the same group as Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall. Rules don't apply to them.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290007163' post='942287']
Nonsense. He couldn't read a defense if he bought the audio version. How many teams run a spread option in the NFL? Zero still right? aKillme played in a spread option and Klinger played in the run and shoot (almost the same). Find me the current successful spread offense QB in the NFL and maybe I will change my mind.

BTW, the spread offense is creating a vacuum of competent O lineman. The lineman coming out of these programs can not run block and suck from the 3 point stance.

Newton is in the same group as Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall. Rules don't apply to them.
[/quote]

1. Sam Bradford
2. Texas, Texas Tech and OU all have quite a few OL in the NFL. All run spread offenses.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1290006458' post='942283']
I diagree...

[/quote]

Newton has a stronger arm, but Pryor is the better passer, and Pryor isn't a great passer.

The difference between the two is Pryor is pass first, run second, and Newton is run first, pass second.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1290006372' post='942282']
[size="6"][b]MARK INGRAM![/b][/size]
[/quote]

too many needs to take a first round running back right now. Besides, it won't matter if they don't fix the run blocking.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1290007163' post='942287']

[/quote]

Many of the top programs in college football are switching to more of a spread type of attack. So a lot of the better young QBs in the league are coming from spread systems. Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy are 2 rookies that are showing well after coming from wide open spread offenses in college. Troy Smith has looked good in a limited sample size so far this season also. Kyle Orton and Drew Brees were both spread QBs at Purdue if you are looking for a little more established guys.

I really believe that we are going to see more and more athletic QBs in the NFL after seeing the success of guys like Vick.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1290008920' post='942299']
Many of the top programs in college football are switching to more of a spread type of attack. So a lot of the better young QBs in the league are coming from spread systems. Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy are 2 rookies that are showing well after coming from wide open spread offenses in college. Troy Smith has looked good in a limited sample size so far this season also. Kyle Orton and Drew Brees were both spread QBs at Purdue if you are looking for a little more established guys.

I really believe that we are going to see more and more athletic QBs in the NFL after seeing the success of guys like Vick.
[/quote]

I definitely think the spread offense in college is changing the pro game. Just look at the Eagles game Monday. The Eagles are a spread offense anymore. The Patriots aren't far off either.

Further, you saw a record number of TE's taken last year. Most of whom are from spread offenses and are basically oversized WR's.

The pro game is changing.

The one thing that worries me about true running qb's is that in the pros none of them are elusive enough, or fast enough, to keep that style. Vick is an exception to the rule but Vince Young is a perfect example of why you can't take someone like that top 5. Too much money for someone that is going to take alot of punishment.

Can's game is about lowering the shoulder too...I don't think I could do it in 1 but yes in 2. But, and this is a big but, you need the right coaches for that style. If Bratt stays on, which you have to honestly believe there is a chance with MB, we would be better off waiting for Matt Barkley in 2012 or 2013.

The spread option is different from the traditional spread offense. The more traditional spread is a passing offense, where the spread option spreads out the field and runs the ball. Michigan is a spread option for example while Oklahoma is a traditional spread. Florida was a hybrid of the two with Tebow.

[quote]"Spread Option Offense. The spread option offense is a variant of the more generic “spread offense.” It has found unprecedented success and widespread employment in college and high school football. Essentially a hybrid of the traditionally pass-oriented spread offense, the spread option is based on the concept of defensive isolation. The offense "spreads" the defense by aligning in three-to-five receiver sets, using two or fewer running backs in the backfield and often setting the quarterback in shotgun. This “spread” forces the defense to defend more of the field and isolates its players in “space”. To exploit this, the offense employs double or triple option plays which further mitigates the athleticism of the defense and forces it to play their assignments. When used in combination with a consistent passing game, the spread option offense can yield strong results. The means by which option plays are run from the spread option offense vary greatly. The most popular running play employed in the spread is the read option. This play is also known as the zone-read, QB Choice, or QB Wrap. A type of double option, the read option is relatively simple play during which the quarterback makes a single read (usually of the backside defensive end or linebacker) and decides whether or not to hand the ball to a running back on a dive or slant track. Others have found even more innovative ways to run the option from spread formations. Creative use of motioning schemes have enabled wide receivers and even tight ends to become ballcarriers as evidenced by Wake Forest's version of the spread employed during the mid-2000s. Urban Meyer helped to innovate the option attack out of the shotgun formation. Other pioneers include University of Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez, Kansas State University Coach Bill Snyder, Oregon coach Chip Kelly and others."[/quote]

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290013244' post='942318']
The spread option is different from the traditional spread offense. The more traditional spread is a passing offense, where the spread option spreads out the field and runs the ball. Michigan is a spread option for example while Oklahoma is a traditional spread. Florida was a hybrid of the two with Tebow.
[/quote]

That still leaves a few pros (Cold McCoy and VY) that came from spread option offenses. They seem to be ok.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290013494' post='942320']
That still leaves a few pros (Cold McCoy and VY) that came from spread option offenses. They seem to be ok.
[/quote]
Texas is not a spread option and McCoy has done nothing in the NFL yet. VY is an average starter at very best.

The system he plays in isn't the only negative. Added together with the lack of experience, character and intelligence and it's a huge concern.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1290016880' post='942331']
[b]Texas is not a spread option [/b]and McCoy has done nothing in the NFL yet. VY is an average starter at very best.

The system he plays in isn't the only negative. Added together with the lack of experience, character and intelligence and it's a huge concern.
[/quote]

Bull butter. That's what the've been running for years. The zone read out of the spread option is ALL VY ever ran! They won the MNC with one goddamn play!

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290017876' post='942338']
Bull butter. That's what the've been running for years. The zone read out of the spread option is ALL VY ever ran! They won the MNC with one goddamn play!
[/quote]
Yeah I guess you're right. Didn't realize they ran McCoy so much. Still hasn't done shit in the NFL though.

It took Drew Brees 4 years to become a good NFL QB and he is VERY intelligent. San Diego drafted his replacement remember? He was pretty marginal his first three years.

Vince Young had a very rough first 3 years in the NFL and I still haven't bought into him being very good. Remember when the guy got benched for a season and cried?

Jamarcus Russell was a great spread offense QB in college. He couldn't read a defense period. I don't think he can actually read.

Colt McCoy has played 4 games and plays for Cleveland. Texas wasn't a spread offense was it? Couch started off pretty good too.

Did someone actually mention Troy Smith as an exception to the rule? They run the spread at OSU? Better yet is Troy Smith good? He has started how many games?

Kyle Orton sucked in Chicago, better in Denver but again 3 years of sucktitude before he became a passable QB.

Everything I have read about Can Newton would make me stay FAR FAR away from him. Even with Randy Moss' play over the years, has he done anything more than be a complete POS on everyteam he has been on? If Vince Young has has so many problems(QB wise), and Young seems like a class act, why would anyone expect Newton to be better given all the smoke surrounding him?

Archived