A Hawkins comments

Friday 1530 show. Something to the affect ----

Change the players, change the coaches. Neither will matter until the foundation of how the team is ran is changed. It has been that way for 20 yrs.

Spoke of Gregg and Wyche leaving despite reaching SB's due to ownership. Spoke of Marvin being a good coahc and likely leaving due to ownership.

What do you think?

I must have missed the play where MB fumbled the ball on our 20 and where he ran the wrong route and Carson got picked. GM's and owners collect talent and coaches utilize that talent. The talent level is fine. Attention to detail, smart thinking, and smart play are not. You can blame a lot of things and a lot of years on MB, but this uear isn't one of them.

Shake up our stale offense and add to the D and we'll be right back in it next year. Strangley right about that same time, all the town criers will be piling on the bandwagon again.

[quote name='PizzaMAN!!!' timestamp='1290319823' post='942957']
at least the cube will do his best trying to buy a championship. he cares about his club. wants to win, not just make money.
[/quote]

so do you Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. How have their teams done in the CAP era (yes I know the cap is currently gone).

I don't see the major point in replacing a hands-on owner who grew up around football (and has struggled) with another hands-on owner who has no experience in football.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290345386' post='942970']
so do you Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. How have their teams done in the CAP era (yes I know the cap is currently gone).

I don't see the major point in replacing a hands-on owner who grew up around football (and has struggled) with another hands-on owner who has no experience in football.
[/quote]

The salary cap started in 1994 at 36 million. The Cowboys won the Super Bowl in 1995 defeating the Steelers.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1290347010' post='942973']
The salary cap started in 1994 at 36 million. The Cowboys won the Super Bowl in 1995 defeating the Steelers.
[/quote]

yes, but they basically acquired most of that team in the non-cap era. Contracts weren't as out of control then as they are now.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1290352819' post='942991']
I thought it was interesting when he talked about LeBeau's tenure here. He said all the players new that he was not able to make the decisions and changes he wanted due to ownership and he was not the problem.
[/quote]

that was pretty much the general consensus at the time... well, aside from mike's ever steady group of loyal suck asses.

Mike Brown can be the owner all he wants. He just needs to stop being the GM and he needs to hire someone to be the GM that isn't related to him and knows what they are doing and let [i]them[/i] run the team while he collects profits and a more consistent football team.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1290354056' post='942997']
Mike Brown can be the owner all he wants. He just needs to stop being the GM and he needs to hire someone to be the GM that isn't related to him and knows what they are doing and let [i]them[/i] run the team while he collects profits and a more consistent football team.
[/quote]

it's a nice thought, anyway.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1290352819' post='942991']
I thought it was interesting when he talked about LeBeau's tenure here. He said all the players new that he was not able to make the decisions and changes he wanted due to ownership and he was not the problem.
[/quote]

LeBeau was brought in to change from a decent 4:3 defense to a 3:4. The problem was the Bengals haf a great D-line the year before and had few quality LBs. So rather than stay 4:3 until they could acquire the LBs, they cut many of the D-Line and went with LBs not suited to the 4:3 and resulted in a D far worse than the year before. All it would have taken is some patience, a couple drafts and LeBeau might still have been head coach here.

I don't know who did it, but it seems to be a philosophy to change scheme and fit square pegs into round holes that has transcended who the head coach is. I am not convinced that the transition from a run-heavy team last year to a pass-happy team this year was Marvin's decision, given the team's historic pre-occupation with pass offense. I believe the Front Office prefers a high scoring passing game to a slow, steady running game to keep the fans excited and buying tickets. It just didn't work this year... again.

My big problem with this season is the decision to go without a quality fullback. You can't use a LB or TE in place of an everydown FB. The TEs generally have too tall a frame and can't get low enough. It takes a special mentality to play FB and I am not sure an ordinary LB can do the job. The lack of an everydown FB is one of the reasons the run game hasn't been as effective this year as last.

[quote name='The Traveler' timestamp='1290364495' post='943071']
LeBeau was brought in to change from a decent 4:3 defense to a 3:4. The problem was the Bengals haf a great D-line the year before and had few quality LBs. So rather than stay 4:3 until they could acquire the LBs, they cut many of the D-Line and went with LBs not suited to the 4:3 and resulted in a D far worse than the year before. All it would have taken is some patience, a couple drafts and LeBeau might still have been head coach here.

I don't know who did it, but it seems to be a philosophy to change scheme and fit square pegs into round holes that has transcended who the head coach is. I am not convinced that the transition from a run-heavy team last year to a pass-happy team this year was Marvin's decision, given the team's historic pre-occupation with pass offense. I believe the Front Office prefers a high scoring passing game to a slow, steady running game to keep the fans excited and buying tickets. It just didn't work this year... again.

My big problem with this season is the decision to go without a quality fullback. You can't use a LB or TE in place of an everydown FB. The TEs generally have too tall a frame and can't get low enough. It takes a special mentality to play FB and I am not sure an ordinary LB can do the job. The lack of an everydown FB is one of the reasons the run game hasn't been as effective this year as last.
[/quote]

LeBeau had the #10 D coming into the season. He had TKO & Simmons. It was the misdealings at QB that killed his head coaching. Gus F was a late pickup and replaced the locker room leader John Kitna. #11 A Smith received over half the preseason snaps at QB. Gus had something along the lines of 4 snaps with the first offensive unit by the time opening day arrived. When it was all said and done the Bengals started off something like 0-6 before Kitna was restored as the starter.

Those decisions all came from the GM and the coach paid the price.

Archived