This is just silly given OSUs schedule

MichaelWeston

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1290639102' post='944575']
I called THE ARGUEMENT asinine. I am part of that
ASININE ARGUEMENT.

[i]I wish they would just create a true Playoff so teams
would settle shit on the field[/i][b][i]. And you wouldn't have asinine arguements
like this one.
[/i][/b]
[/quote]

I mean you directly quoted me, surely you understand how I got the notion you were talking about my post.

[quote]
Also, I do not care what the numbers say.
[/quote]

Of course you don't. (I'm sure you would if it said tOSU was the best. You seem to believe in the SOS #) :boring:

[quote]
The numbers said the Bengals should have had a
Playoff team this year.
[/quote]

That's impossible. There were no measurable metrics available for this particular team before the season. Colley Matrix is based on stuff that happened this season, not any season past. Any "number" you were relying on was opinion based.

Don't be ass injured.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290639391' post='944576']
So tOSU's isn't that much harder. 14 spots, whoopie! You act like Boise schedules junior high's and your president accused them of scheduling some Sisters of the Poor or some nonsense.
[/quote]

I wish the Bengals had a 14th easier schedule than they do now.

And no, I am acting like Boise State's Conference is not anywhere
near as strong as the Big 10. I don't think that is even up for debate.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1290639810' post='944579']
I wish the Bengals had a 14th easier schedule than they do now.

And no, I am acting like Boise State's Conference is not anywhere
near as strong as the Big 10. I don't think that is even up for debate.
[/quote]

14 place different in a 32 team league is a lot more drastic than 14th in a 120+ team league.

And "not anywhere close" doesn't matter, the conference as a whole isn't on trial. The SOS is what you are complaining about and they are pretty close. Boise's is actually going to go up this weekend and tOSU's is going to go down.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290639785' post='944578']
I mean you directly quoted me, surely you understand how I got the notion you were talking about my post.[/quote]

Surely you misread. And I showed you as much.

[quote]Of course you don't. (I'm sure you would if it said tOSU was the best) :boring:
[/quote]

Have you seen me say that? No. So why go there?

[quote]That's impossible. There were no measurable metrics available for this particular team before the season. Colley Matrix is based on stuff that happened this season, not any season past. Any "number" you were relying on was opinion based.
[/quote]

It was a metaphor. The numbers start off with what teams have done in the past,
who they have coming back ect. My point was just because the numbers say
something, does not automatically mean one team is better than the other.
Like I said, if that were the case, there would never be any upsets.

[quote]Don't be ass injured.
[/quote]

Why do you continue to go there and say something like that?
Just because it is asinine that we have to argue about what
teams are better, because they won't play each other on the
field, does not mean we have to act asinine about it.

I do agree with the crux of this article,
I hate the BCS system and want nothing more than
a true Playoff.

[b][size="5"]Gee’s bluster blows holes in the BCS[/size] [/b]
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 0 minutes ago

Somewhere deep inside the confused ramblings of Ohio State president Gordon Gee is a reasonable debate about the Bowl Championship Series. It’s fair to argue whether an unbeaten team such as Boise State or TCU is more deserving of a bid to the BCS title game than a one-loss team from a stronger conference.

I’m personally a believer that you have to look at a team’s full resume, not just the shiny win-loss record. It’s no fairer to automatically put Boise State in the title game than it is anyone else. A one-loss team may, indeed, be the better choice. We’ll see at the end of the season.

“I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it’s like murderer’s row every week for these schools,” Gee, formerly of Vanderbilt, said. “We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

More From Dan WetzelWhy it's nervous time for Auburn Nov 11, 2010 Newton allegations turn SEC into circus Nov 10, 2010 AdChoices

“So I think until a university runs through that gantlet that there’s some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame.”

Here’s the problem: Gee clearly has no idea what he is arguing about, or for, let alone how the BCS formula works, why it exists or how a playoff could actually operate.

His comments don’t contain the logic of reality (Boise State would accept a Big Ten membership in 0.001 seconds and TCU is now begging for a game with the Buckeyes) and are ignorant of Ohio State’s actual strength of schedule (closer to the Little Sisters of the Poor than Gee realizes).

His militant opposition to settling the sports championship on the field of play isn’t based on any obvious knowledge of anything. It just exists. Since Gordon Gee loves being in the media and couldn’t resist causing a fire storm nationally, he spoke out anyway.

The funny thing is that his blind swings at defending the maligned system actually tear it down.

Gee may think he’s arguing for the BCS, but he’s actually arguing against it.

Then there is this, Gee couldn’t have given a better Thanksgiving gift to the lawyers at Arent Fox, the Washington law firm that is trying to spur a Justice Department investigation into the BCS on anti-trust grounds.

If you’re trying to prove the six major conferences systematically exclude the others then getting the Ohio State president to essentially admit they should be systematically excluded is no small development.

“The BCS has finally found someone to stand up and defend the indefensible and Gordon Gee proved it – he not just proved that it’s indefensible but he did so with facts that are simply wrong,” Boise State president Bob Kustra shot back through the Idaho Statesman.

“If anything, ridiculous and inaccurate presentations like this from a major university president will go further to make our case.”

So if there is a case brought and the BCS public relations people start complaining about how it’s a waste of taxpayer money, just remember it’s their own bow-tied hero who helped advance it.

More telling though were the scope of Gee’s comments and his supporting arguments for why he loves the BCS.

They actually argue against the BCS.

If Gee thinks it’s ridiculous for a 12-0 WAC team to get into the title game then he ought to be opposed to the BCS and its convoluted formula, not in favor of it. It’s Gee’s own beloved BCS (“a mixed-up mystery,” he calls it) that is one upset of Oregon (and perhaps Auburn) from doing exactly what Gee finds so horrible.

So why would he support such a formula?

What he’s arguing is that an arbitrary system based on mass opinion and computer formulas that are not mathematically sound (per actual mathematicians) isn’t a good way to select the two teams that should play for the title. There needs to be better perspective and, if he carries the thought out, access so that teams that are forced to play more difficult schedules aren’t adversely punished for losing a single game (like a night game at Camp Randall for instance).

What he’s arguing is that the BCS is bunk.

This isn’t really surprising. His comments were poorly thought out, ill-timed and unnecessary, but Gee isn’t stupid. He’s a learned, intelligent man. His base sense of logic tells him what almost everyone long ago realized – the BCS is an absurd system. He just wasn’t clever or prepared enough to avoid tacitly admitting it.

In truth, the BCS isn’t about crowning a champion in college football, it was just a tool created so private bowl games could continue to operate (and profit handsomely from) college football’s postseason.

By further entrenching themselves as the postseason operators, bowls continue to take hundreds of millions annually from the pockets of actual colleges. This is why no other sport would allow such a set up. What business outsources its most important and profitable product?

The BCS is about protecting the profits of bowl games and nothing else. It’s about money, money and only money. It’s why the BCS employs PR people, Washington lobbyists and multiple law firms to maintain the status quo and create water muddying arguments.

If you think otherwise, then stop reading. You’re too naive to save.

In truth, the Big Ten should be firmly in favor of a playoff, this year more than any other. It may finish the season with three 11-1 teams, all ranked in the top 10, yet on the outside of the national title chase.

It’s not because an 11-1 Big Ten record isn’t good enough. Most years it is. It is because there are unbeaten teams that played a schedule that most people in the Big Ten believe is inferior to ones Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan State played.

The BCS isn’t doing the Big Ten any favors. This may be a reason why Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel this month predicted on the “Dan Patrick Show” that there’d be a playoff within five years. Ohio State’s BCS road gets only tougher next year with the creation of the Big Ten title game.

Consider this year’s Buckeyes. Their only loss was in a night game at Wisconsin – taking on an environment and level of opponent that Oregon, Boise and TCU didn’t.

If there was a playoff, Ohio State would still be battling for a berth, making its game against Michigan actually mean even more than normal. That’s why, television people insist, the broadcast ratings and overall interest in the regular season would soar with a playoff.

Depending on the playoff structure, the Buckeyes could be on the verge of securing a first-round home game – does Alabama in the Horseshoe interest anyone? That would deliver more money not just for Ohio State (far more than a BCS bowl game) but the overall Columbus economy. It would expand the opportunities for not just Buckeye players, but all of the Big Ten. It would level the playing field by holding games in the North.

Instead Gordon Gee argues against the base interests of his university and community. Not with any actual facts, mind you, but with general feelings, shallow reasoning and a strange preference for mixed up mysteries.

When your argument is based on such things, it’s little surprise it unravels. So he wound up shredding the logic the BCS formula claims to be built on and all but inviting a federal inquiry.

He’s a smart man speaking foolishly. Bizarre? Yes. Defending the indefensible tends to cause such behavior.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-bcsosu112410

I am extraordinarily biased against all OSU fans because of my experience living and working in Columbus and coming from a non bcs school. I certainly paint with a wider brush then I should but it mainly comes from frustration do to dismissive OSU fans that I deal with. Ones who say Boise State couldnt beat OSU, TCU couldnt beat OSU, Northern Illinois could NEVER beat OSU, Wisconsin would beat OSU 9 out of 10 times etc etc. It drives me crazy that a team with an athletic budget far superior has to sway the system in their favor through unbalanced schedules. Drives me nuts. And he was calling me an idiot no matter how veiled you think it might have been. He was saying if I believed something...that I stated I believed in the post prior, then I was an idiot. Well clearly I believe that.

Furthermore Gee, and the Big ten presidents are the reason we dont have a playoff. I have personally emailed him in the past and to his credit he responded with a logical argument. Then I asked him some more detailed questions and he did not respond. Eventually the lawyers will come in and make them share the money. there is too much money going to too few people. For teams the BCS is the difference between millions of dollars or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1290648543' post='944607']
I am extraordinarily biased against all OSU fans because of my experience living and working in Columbus and coming from a non bcs school. I certainly paint with a wider brush then I should but it mainly comes from frustration do to dismissive OSU fans that I deal with. Ones who say Boise State couldnt beat OSU, TCU couldnt beat OSU, Northern Illinois could NEVER beat OSU, Wisconsin would beat OSU 9 out of 10 times etc etc. It drives me crazy that a team with an athletic budget far superior has to sway the system in their favor through unbalanced schedules. Drives me nuts. And he was calling me an idiot no matter how veiled you think it might have been. He was saying if I believed something...that I stated I believed in the post prior, then I was an idiot. Well clearly I believe that.
[/quote]

and don't you think its possible that the "dismissiveness" you get from Buckeye fans you deal with has anything to do with the pre-medidated and inherent bias you have against them before even talking to them? What a concept.

If you come to the table with a narrow-minded mindset, you're probably going to struggle to get good conversation.

Okay, I've gotta comment. First, I'm a HUGE fan of The Ohio State University. I've got friends that played there, as well as kids that I've known that played there. but I have to disagree with Dr. Gee, especially when it comes to Boise State.

If I'm correct, Boise has the best record in FCS football over the decade, Have lost 4 games in the last 4 years, and currently on a 24 game winning streak that includes victories over both Oregon and TCU, two of the teams ranked in the top four in the country today. They've lost one game at home in the last 56(?) and have also beaten a big 12 team(Oklahoma) as well as #17 Va Tech this year, which has consistently been the only reason why the ACC has any Rep at all over the last Decade. Could they Beat an SEC team or A big Ten team week in or week out right now? Probably not. But if they were in any either conference, The ability to recruit the better players, along with their system, would have them competing at the top fairly quickly. I do believe that in a one game "playoff" , they could beat anyone in the country, especially this year. If they play my buckeyes, I'm hoping we kill them by 50, but against anyone else, I'm a "Blue Field Fanatic"!

Yeah, OSU really sucks at maintaining a strong out of conference schedule. I man damn. Scheduling pathetic ass Texas Tech in 2002 was lame. :on_the_quiet:

Seriously, the Buckeyes have played/scheduled home-and-home out of conference games against:

University of Washington (2003,2007)
Texas (2005, 2006)
USC (2008, 2009)
Miami (2010, 2011)
Cal (2012, 2013)
VaTech (2014, 2015)
Oklahoma (2016, 2017)
Tennessee (2018, 2019)

Yeah, they also play a game or two against a smaller in-state school every year, and offer that school a HUGE payday that they would never be able to dream of otherwise. How dare they? :rolleyes:

I have nothing against teams from smaller conferences. I love rooting for the underdog. But let's not pretend that Boise St or TCU play a schedule that is as tough as a BigTen Schedule week in and week out. And let's not pretend that there are a dozen universities in the country that have scheduled tougher out of conference games against BIG TIME football programs.

Anyone hating on Ohio State's schedule is a fucking moron or a hater, and nothing less. :crazy:

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1290663954' post='944673']
Yeah, OSU really sucks at maintaining a strong out of conference schedule. I man damn. Scheduling pathetic ass Texas Tech in 2002 was lame.
[/quote]

how dare you.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1290648543' post='944607']
[/quote]

I'm going to make this very clear and it's what I said in my first posts.

if you think playing idaho, la tech, and hawaii is the same as playing penn state iowa and michigan you are an idiot.

that's all I said. And if you do believe that the only possible excuse is you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

not saying you do believe that, but if you do...

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1290712475' post='944820']
I'm going to make this very clear and it's what I said in my first posts.

if you think playing idaho, la tech, and hawaii is the same as playing penn state iowa and michigan you are an idiot.

that's all I said. And if you do believe that the only possible excuse is you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

not saying you do believe that, but if you do...
[/quote]

I expect more from tOSU. $32 million annual budget versus $5 million for Boise. Who do you think has the upper hand in recruiting? The #1 spending school should probably play higher than #59 SOS.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1290781727' post='945472']
I expect more from tOSU. $32 million annual budget versus $5 million for Boise. Who do you think has the upper hand in recruiting? The #1 spending school should probably play higher than #59 SOS.
[/quote]

you don't rank schools based on who makes more money or who has better recruiting...well I guess you do.

osu schedules a good bcs team pretty much every year. Go look at other top schools they have very similar nonconference schedules.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1290796065' post='945539']
you don't rank schools based on who makes more money or who has better recruiting...well I guess you do.

osu schedules a good bcs team pretty much every year. Go look at other top schools they have very similar nonconference schedules.
[/quote]

tOSU are the Yankees of college football.
#59 SOS is a pretty weak schedule for the Yankeyes.

holy crap. I went to bed at halftime and figured Boise would end up winning. It was 24-7.

I'm pissed at ESPN before the game, and I'm still pissed. With a big game like this with big implications, why the hell do you put it on at 10:15 on the east coast?

There were like 4 games yesterday. There's absolutely no reason that game didn't have a 7pm EST start time so that Boise State and Nevada could showcase themselves. There was absolutely no reason to bury the game that late.

saw this posted on another site, interesting comment.

[quote]The color commentator made an interesting comment. He said the Boise defense hadn't faced a meaningful fourth quarter challenge in such a long time, they looked gassed. That is a product of their conference schedule. They would not have had the luxury of blowout after blowout had they played in the Big Ten...which certainly is not the best of the BCS leagues in 2010. Some tough games would've been mixed in throughout the season.[/quote]

Archived