How to fix this team.

This is simple! Mike Brown just doesn't get it. Every great team starts with a great offensive line. The last time the Bengals had a dominant team was in 1988. They had the best line in football. Cleveland has made strides this year because of their next great line in football. Mike Brown knows that the tackles are important, he just has not figured out that the center and the guards are equally important. If Mike would have spent the money he threw away on Bryant and Owens, and signed a couple of interior lineman, do you think the team would be better off?

The solution, sign the best free agent guard available, regardless of the cost. Trade out of the top 5, if that option is available, and draft a center and a tackle in the first round. Cut the fat slob, he will never play in the NFL. Foot problems are worse than knee problems for the morbidly obese. If you build a great OL, an average QB like Palmer can excel.

If and when Mike dies, and Katie takes over the team, and a real GM is hired, you can bet your arse that this is the direction that he/she will take. Mikey has always believed that the cart comes before the horses, and this in a nutshell explains his record of incompetence of the last 20 plus years.

I thought this was common knowledge...

and that anyone who's watched this team the past few years, especially this year could see the O-line was the main problem. That year we masked it well with using 6 and great defense.

This year the D's pretty lousy which offsets the somewhat improvement in offensive yards and points. Also Cedric didn't have fumblitis last year, not just any fumblitis, but the type that causes said player to fumble at worst time possible in 4th quarter.

Awesome post! I agree. Sign the best FA online guys available. I mean, no other team wants these guys so it should be easy. Who the hell doesn't want to come to the Bengals as a free agent? Dude, we got white tigers at our ZOO. Things are White!!!

Thank god someone else on this board realizes that Mike Brown has no clue about the O line. I mean there were like 10 interior linemen and Centers WAY better than our guys that sat around and were never taken or signed. Most ended up working as bouncers at the local Hooters or ended up in Canada.

Luckily, we are the only team that needs good o lineman and without a doubt Cincy is the place all high caliber FA o lineman want to finish up their careers.

Dude: We are not signing SHIT. The best FA lineman is not coming to play for us.....EVER. In an uncapped season we had the 5th lowest payroll. Dallas and Washington will continue to spend like drunk sailors to get the BEST available players and we are fucked.

[quote name='Mu Shu' timestamp='1291159732' post='946551']
Sign Logan Mankins (make him the highest paid guard if need be)
Sign Ryan Kalil
Draft Marcus Cannon or Mike Pouncey in Round 2
Have Whitworth-Mankins-Kalil-Draft Pick-Smith as your o-line and rush for 10,000 yards.

Football is soooo easy.
[/quote]

Too easy. In fact, its so easy its complicated because certain people/coaches/players overthink everything.

[quote name='Mu Shu' timestamp='1291159732' post='946551']
Sign Logan Mankins (make him the highest paid guard if need be)
Sign Ryan Kalil

Football is soooo easy.
[/quote]

keeping it realistic (knowing mike) signing ryan kalil is very doable if he should come free and would upgrade the team's inside concerns.

I agree that we need to address the offensive line -- but another approach would be to trade down and increase the number of picks. A good center can usually be acquired in the low 1st to early 2nd round. Good guards are frequently drafted in the 2nd round and sometimes as low as the 3rd. Remember that Cedric Benson and Johnathan Joseph are due for a big payday. I'd also hate to lose Dhani Jones or Brandon Johnson and it seems Johnathan Fanene is well regarded around the league as well. Several of our most offensive offensive linemen are free agents too, but I definitely would be quite content to let them walk.

Excerpt from Profootball Weekly below...

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Potential FAs: RB Cedric Benson (6), OT Kirk Chambers (6), C Kyle Cook (3), DE Jonathan Fanene (6), OLB Brandon Johnson (5), ILB Dhani Jones (11), CB Johnathan Joseph (5), TE Reggie Kelly (12), FB Brian Leonard (4), OG Nate Livings (3), OG Evan Mathis (6), S Chinedum Ndukwe (4), WR Terrell Owens (15), QB Jordan Palmer (3), OT Dennis Roland (3), S Roy L. Williams (9), S Gibril Wilson (7).

Analysis: With head coach Marvin Lewis' contract set to expire and the ­Bengals disappointing in a major way this season, the team is left with some big decisions in the offseason. The most productive receiver, Owens, will be 38 in ­December 2011, making the call on whether to bring him back somewhat complicated. The decision could be made for them if he receives a multiyear deal elsewhere, but that is no sure thing. The Bengals also have to decide whether to exercise a contract option on Chad Ochocinco for 2011. They have struck out in each of the last two years on veteran free-agent wideouts ­ (Laveranues Coles and Antonio Bryant) but might have to consider plunging back into the market for WR help if Owens and/or Ochocinco is no longer in the picture. Another issue to watch is whether the Bengals can bring back Joseph, a good player at an in-demand position. An extension for CB Leon Hall might be the priority. Whether the team will pay handsomely to bring back Benson remains to be seen; if he leaves, Cincinnati will definitely be in the market for a running back. Fanene and Johnson are reserves who could get starting jobs elsewhere. Fanene impressed as a starter two seasons ago; Johnson is one of the NFL's better backup linebackers.

Three words to make this Defense unstoppable.....
[size="7"]

[b]LA VAR ARRINGTON[/b][/size]

For real

To fix this team we need a GM. People say MB does stuff to try to win, which to a point I agree. But the fact of the matter is he sucks at running a football team.
There is a reason he is the fastest owner to 200 losses.
There is a reason we are 0-2 in playoffs in the past 20 years.
There is a reason he is the slowest owner to 100 wins.
There is a reason he has orchestrated 2 winning seasons in past 20 years and those two came in the past 5 years.
There is a reason that under his leadership the Bengals have 6 of the 25 (24%) 0-6 starts since 1991 and 4 of the 13 (31%) 0-8 starts.

Until he gives up control it is Groundhog's Day.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1291211097' post='946640']
[size="7"]

For real

To fix this team we need a GM. People say MB does stuff to try to win, which to a point I agree. But the fact of the matter is he sucks at running a football team.
There is a reason he has orchestrated 2 winning seasons in past 20 years and those two came in the past 5 years.
There is a reason that under his leadership the Bengals have 6 of the 25 (24%) 0-6 starts since 1991 and 4 of the 13 (31%) 0-8 starts.

[/quote]

Nope. He is too old. We must switch to the 3-4. That is the cure to when we can;t find 3 linebackers worth a damn, we'll just go with 4. :)

[size="7"]

For real

[/quote]

that all is true......
It's not that he doesn't want to win.. he just doesn't know how to get is accomplished(but he thinks he does)

until they bring in someone that does know what they are doing... I am afraid it will continue to go like it has for the last 20 years.... The occasional good season, surrounded by shit..

[size="7"]

For real

[/quote]

fastest owner to reach 200 losses. what a lofty record! in this league it's almost unfathomable anyone could do that in just 20 years time. that's AVERAGING 10 losses per year. how in the hell do you average 10 losses per year for 20 years with the parity built into the NFL? he should be disgusted with himself. yet he refuses to make major changes in the way he operates the business.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1291225760' post='946696']
I got picked apart when I said this last year and off-season this year. The guy is a beast a guard and a mediocre at best LT.
[/quote]

What about moving Andre to G, Whit to RT and then getting a LT, G through the draft/FA and maybe a C. But i think Cook/stephens could be good with an overall better line around them.

Just my .02

I think Whit has been exposed at tackle some this year. The coaches stood up for him last year but his short arms have definitely hurt him a few times this year on speedy edge rushers. He has more holding calls and I see his man hitting Carson way more than before. If he's going to switch positions again it needs to be back to LG.

Jason Shirley will be back next year, maybe he takes a spot at guard. He would have to be about as good as Bobbie has been this year. Bobbie just looks like he got really old in a hurry, not getting to the second level very much and too slow to catch up to rushers on stunts. There have been some epic breakdowns on the right side of the line this year and even though he might be the best of the worst over there I think it's time to get a younger body in there as your primary player.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1291230989' post='946724']
I think Whit has been exposed at tackle some this year. The coaches stood up for him last year but his short arms have definitely hurt him a few times this year on speedy edge rushers. He has more holding calls and I see his man hitting Carson way more than before. If he's going to switch positions again it needs to be back to LG.

Jason Shirley will be back next year, maybe he takes a spot at guard. He would have to be about as good as Bobbie has been this year. Bobbie just looks like he got really old in a hurry, not getting to the second level very much and too slow to catch up to rushers on stunts. There have been some epic breakdowns on the right side of the line this year and even though he might be the best of the worst over there I think it's time to get a younger body in there as your primary player.
[/quote]

really wish they had put Shirley on the practice squad instead of just IR'ing him. Yea he would have wasted a PS spot for awhile, but he would have been back to practice by a few weeks ago and could use those snaps at guard over the last 6-7 weeks of the season.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1291236999' post='946762']
really wish they had put Shirley on the practice squad instead of just IR'ing him. Yea he would have wasted a PS spot for awhile, but he would have been back to practice by a few weeks ago and could use those snaps at guard over the last 6-7 weeks of the season.
[/quote]

I don't have much hope for Shirley. I just don't expect him to be back next year unless he's just a camp body that gets cut early on in the whole process.

Not sure why they haven't tried Stephens and Hudson as RGs. Then again, I don't get why Collins has never really seen any appreciable time at LG either. If Collins can't beat out Roland at RT and he can't beat out Nate Livings at LG, then honestly wtf is he still on the team? At least Stephens and Hudson are rookies and all but I'd even try Stephens at LG.

[quote name='NYbengals' timestamp='1291230495' post='946722']
What about moving Andre to G, Whit to RT and then getting a LT, G through the draft/FA and maybe a C. But i think Cook/stephens could be good with an overall better line around them.

Just my .02
[/quote]

i doubt there's a LT in this draft as good as whitworth. even if there is, it will take him two years to get to that level.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1291241639' post='946778']
i doubt there's a LT in this draft as good as whitworth. even if there is, it will take him two years to get to that level.
[/quote]

Well, then draft he LT of the future, leave Whit at LT, Rookie @ RT, Dre @ RG, new dudes at LG (Mankins, yaeh right) and C (Ryan Kalil).

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1291225760' post='946696']
I got picked apart when I said this last year and off-season this year. The guy is a beast a guard and a mediocre at best LT.
[/quote]
Unfortunatly, he (Whit) is the best tackle we have. You are right, he is great guard.

BTW, Did Mathis die or something? He is still on the team isn't he?

Archived