With 4 games and 5 months until the draft, who do you want?

55 members have voted

1. 1. 2011 Draft

• DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
    • WR A.J. Green, Georgia
    • CB/S Patrick Peterson, LSU
    • DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina
    • CB Prince Amukamura, Nebraska
    • DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
    • QB Cam Newton, Auburn
    • DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama
    • WR Julio Jones, Alabama
    • QB Jake Locker, Washington
    • Other

Assuming Luck is the #1 pick to Carolina and we are picking between 2 and 5.

I'm literally at a 3 way tie between Bowers, Green and Fairley. I don't even know who to pick yet.

Bowers would give us a great young duo at end. I really don't see any negatives with this pick. Although it is a little concerning he's only had 1 real good season in college. Could be because he was injured for the first 2 seasons though. Injuries are a concern.

Green gives us a potential absolute STUD receiver to replace the old divas we have now. Biggest negatives are you don't build teams with receivers and it usually takes a season or two for them to really contribute. If Sheppard is still the WR coach this pick is pointless.

Fairley gives us a monster tackle who can stop the run and rush the passer. Biggest problems I see are Atkins plays the same position and has been one of the better defensive players on the team. I could see going with Atkins as the 3rd tackle I guess. Also tackles seem to have a high bust factor for some reason.

I guess I'll pick Bowers.... today. I do reserve the right to completely change my mind.

I'm rooting for Jimmy Claussen to spark some fire into Carolina over the last end of the season, because I feel that strongly about Luck.

But if not I feel like AJ Green could be a game-changer for us. LaMicheal James seems to be a really good guy and if we slip outside the top 5 and Cedric leaves..I wouldn't mind him. A lot of good guys. Wish we were the Pats and had all these picks..

oh, so tough at this point in time. what does carolina do? word is, they've been mildly satisfied with the progression of claussen the last 4 games, and we all know, it DOES take time. the trade down would obviously be very tempting with all the holes we have, that is should some team make a good offer, but that's not really what this question asks.

andrew luck
nick fairley
da'quan bowers
robert quinn

right now, anyway.

If Luck falls in our lap there's no way Mike Brown will resist him, but this would be the one time the old fart was right. Luck looks like a can't miss perennial All Pro to me and my personal belief for what little it's worth given I'm no scout is that we'll be kicking ourselves for a long time if we pass on him.

[quote name='mtrbur' timestamp='1291972705' post='949414']
I agree, guy is a monster...
[/quote]

I also voted for Fairley, but if Luck is there I could understand them taking him....even though Carson is not the problem, just the way the NFL is these days....

I really think we will get a great player this year no matter what the position is...

I want a guy whom with a top 5 pick can be effective in a position of need asap (looking and you andre).

Nobody is going to supplant Peko, Atkins, Sims, and Tank.

WR takes too long to develop.

Odom has never done what he came here to do and is always injured, Gathers is overrated (looks at Go), I like what Ive seen from Dunlap so far, but you can never get enough pass rushers.

Give me Bowers.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1291993492' post='949438']
I want a guy whom with a top 5 pick can be effective in a position of need asap (looking and you andre).

Odom has never done what he came here to do and is always injured, Gathers is overrated (looks at Go), I like what Ive seen from Dunlap so far, but you can never get enough pass rushers.

Give me Bowers.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure Tank is back next year, even if there isn't a coaching change. None of the other 3 are anything close to dominant.

[quote name='kdubdub' timestamp='1291956767' post='949410']
Green would be the worst pick ever. We are 2-10 w/ two #1 wideouts. There are more pressing needs...

But,
Fairley
Bowers
CB from Nebraska
[/quote]

Fairley I could live with. He's #2 on my list.

As for Bowers (and Quinn for that matter), if Dunlap keeps playing the way he has, I don't see DE as a first round need anymore.

If we don't re-sign JoJo I would not object to a CB. Either Amukamara or Peterson is fine with me.

But I do think Green would be a great pick. This year we have Chad and TO, but will we next year? The year after? Other than Shipley, who is not remotely a #1 receiver, who on this team would "scare" any DC at all? No one.

The way Dunlap and Atkins have played, I see D-line as less and less of a need (but one I would still address in later rounds). Fixing the O-line is also a big need, but at guard, not tackle, and guard is a second round pick at the earliest.

Nepotism?

1/2 :ninja:

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1291993492' post='949438']

Give me [b]Bowers[/b].
[/quote]

With the assumption that Luck is gone....

Shipley looks great but not a #1, and Simpson, Caldwell and Cosby aren't exactly awe-inspiring at this point in time, so I say Green, even if both Chad and TO are here next year. That might sound crazy but it would not only give a great trio of outside receivers but also allow Green the chance to learn the system before being thrown to the wolves. In this scenario, Chad and TO are here for next year and gone to FA / retirement in 2012. Then It's Green as the #1 with Shipley the #2 and build upon them.

I think a line of Dunlap, Peko, Atkins, and MJ looks decent with Simms, Tank, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick (either of the guys from Pitt - Romeus & Sheard) as backups is an improvement. Plus Odom could be brought back next year to play LE opposite of Dunlap. I think the future is brighter for the D-Line than it is for a both WR and OL.

I think it's time to go after some real vet FAs for the O-Line. You just can't go young everywhere and the draft picks on OL haven't been working out for the last couple of years. A couple of solid FA vets here could get things on the line caught up to where they should be.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1291995815' post='949451']
Fairley I could live with. He's #2 on my list.

As for Bowers (and Quinn for that matter), if Dunlap keeps playing the way he has, I don't see DE as a first round need anymore.

If we don't re-sign JoJo I would not object to a CB. Either Amukamara or Peterson is fine with me.

But I do think Green would be a great pick. This year we have Chad and TO, but will we next year? The year after? Other than Shipley, who is not remotely a #1 receiver, who on this team would "scare" any DC at all? No one.

The way Dunlap and Atkins have played, I see D-line as less and less of a need (but one I would still address in later rounds). Fixing the O-line is also a big need, but at guard, not tackle, and guard is a second round pick at the earliest.
[/quote]

Who the hell do the patriots have that scares a DC? besides brady.

o and don't make me bring up dez bryant.

[quote name='turningpoint' timestamp='1292003841' post='949475']
Who the hell do the patriots have that scares a DC? besides brady.

o and don't make me bring up dez bryant.
[/quote]

Unfortunately Carson is no Brady. And while they don't have any 1 player having a dominant year, they have a lot of players having good years.

[quote name='BBR' timestamp='1291999482' post='949463']
With the assumption that Luck is gone....

Shipley looks great but not a #1, and Simpson, Caldwell and Cosby aren't exactly awe-inspiring at this point in time, so I say Green, even if both Chad and TO are here next year. That might sound crazy but it would not only give a great trio of outside receivers but also allow Green the chance to learn the system before being thrown to the wolves. In this scenario, Chad and TO are here for next year and gone to FA / retirement in 2012. Then It's Green as the #1 with Shipley the #2 and build upon them.

I think a line of Dunlap, Peko, Atkins, and MJ looks decent with Simms, Tank, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick (either of the guys from Pitt - Romeus & Sheard) as backups is an improvement. Plus Odom could be brought back next year to play LE opposite of Dunlap. I think the future is brighter for the D-Line than it is for a both WR and OL.

I think it's time to go after some real vet FAs for the O-Line. You just can't go young everywhere and the draft picks on OL haven't been working out for the last couple of years. A couple of solid FA vets here could get things on the line caught up to where they should be.
[/quote]

one comment would be that I can't see them keeping Tank as a backup at $2.25 million and I don't think he should be a starter anymore. I honestly think he's gone.

If Odom can regain his form, I agree that Dunlap and Odom is a nice pairing.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1292001370' post='949471']
best overall value for picking at the top of the draft?

QB
OLT
DE
CB
DT
WR

in that order.
[/quote]

I wonder how true that is. Not looking for an argument, but I don't know that it is.

I checked the other day, and less than half of the starting QB's in the league were first round picks. And probably only half of those first round picks were playing like first round picks.

Archived