terrelle pryor and 4 other OSU cheapers suspended for 5 games

GoBengals

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1293483209' post='954404']
OSU cheated? Something new, ya right. Its not excessive, AJ Green sold a jersey and had to miss 4 games. These guys are bums. Saying they did it to help their families. BS. They get money for rent, food, they get some clothes, they get shit from bowl games. They get free food every day. Theyre selling this stuff for drugs or other things they dont need to be buying. Posey also lives in a gated community because he says hes such a celebrity he has to.
[/quote]

Damn, you cannot tell me that ALL that stupidity is running amuck in your head. You couldn't have been born like that. Did you go to "dumbfucks r us" or something?

The OSU players have been smoking salvia or something like that... something that is supposed to be like weed but doesn't show up on tests (okay, this part I'm guessing in regards of WHY they would smoke it and not reefer).

KNOW FOR FACT!!!

Crazy fuckas!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, that was nothing to do with the thread, I know.

Stupid to suspend them next year instead of this year. First thing I thought of was NCAA and money. Second thing I thought of was all those guys going pro if they could. Sucks for OSU... stupid, stupid rule and ruling.

According to Jim Tressel's current press conference, all 5 suspended players had to promise to come back for their senior season to be eligible to play in the Sugar Bowl and the only determinant of playing time in the Sugar Bowl will be 'football issues'.

[url="http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=6953199"]http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=6953199[/url]

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1293557364' post='954664']
The OSU players have been smoking salvia or something like that... something that is supposed to be like weed but doesn't show up on tests (okay, this part I'm guessing in regards of WHY they would smoke it and not reefer).

KNOW FOR FACT!!!

Crazy fuckas!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, that was nothing to do with the thread, I know.

Stupid to suspend them next year instead of this year. First thing I thought of was NCAA and money. Second thing I thought of was all those guys going pro if they could. Sucks for OSU... stupid, stupid rule and ruling.
[/quote]
Salvia is some good shit, especially if you get the extract.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1293828879' post='955455']
Salvia is some good shit, especially if you get the extract.
[/quote]
I don't know much about it. My cousin is seeing/sleeping with one of the players. She probably got stoned with em I assume.

Does it smell similar to weed or it is totally different?

There's a reason why Wetzel is one of my favorite sports writers; he just doesn't pull any punches...

[quote][size="5"][b]Pryor’s acts expose charade of college athletics[/b][/size]

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
2 hours, 13 minutes ago

Terrelle “The Truth” Pryor is my favorite college football player and it isn’t just the way the Ohio State quarterback can shred defenses.

Pryor is a godsend to anyone who believes the business of college athletics is little more than a smoke-and-mirror show of situational ethics, selective enforcement and tightly controlled public relations designed to dodge taxes and make millionaires out of administrators.

Perhaps no player has ever exposed the system and its handlers more clearly than Pryor leading into Tuesday’s Sugar Bowl against Arkansas. He may not have consciously planned to do what he’s doing – although I suspect he has a clue – but he’s become a WikiLeaks in shoulder pads; a “30 For 30” special in real time.

Related Video

Sugar: OSU distractions Sugar: OSU distractions
More NCAAF Videos

When he isn’t violating some NCAA rule, he’s shining a light on the absurdity of how the sport’s power players managed to rewrite said rule so its cash flow could continue unabated. Each Pryor quote seems to prompt the system to respond in some bumbling, embarrassing way that only makes things worse.

Consider The Truth’s last two weeks and the suits constant scramble to clean everything up.

On Dec. 22, Fox 28 in Columbus reported Ohio State was dealing with a compliance issue involving a number of players receiving tattoos from an area parlor in exchange for signed memorabilia.

The move sent Buckeye Nation into a panic as rumors swirled of potential mass suspensions for the bowl game.

Pryor took to his Twitter account and boldly declared: “I paid for my tattoos,” a seemingly innocent man putting speculation to rest. OK, everything was cool.

At least until the next day when Pryor and four teammates would be suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for selling gifts and memorabilia. In Pryor’s case, he netted $1,250 for dealing his 2008 Big Ten ring, his 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants.

So that might be where he got the money for the tattoos. The tweet was deleted, naturally.

We’ll use this moment to remind readers of our longstanding opinion that most of these rules are ridiculous and players such as Pryor, who earn millions for their schools, deserve a better compensation model than just tuition, room and board. This isn’t an argument justifying the NCAA. If it’s going to have rules, though, shouldn’t it enforce them? And, yes, Ohio State’s creative defense would be employed by nearly every other school.

The initial reaction was that a five-game suspension for selling trinkets seemed rather harsh. Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples noted the irony of selling a “sportsmanship” award from the Fiesta Bowl, which is currently facing a grand jury probe for violating federal and state campaign finance laws.

The strange part, though, was that Pryor and the others would remain eligible for the Sugar Bowl, effectively pushing their suspensions back. That allowed most of them the choice of avoiding any penalty by simply turning pro.

Ohio State and the NCAA cited an obscure rules interpretation that claimed a suspension could be postponed to preserve a “unique opportunity.” They then decided a bowl game was such an opportunity. Ohio State further claimed Pryor and the others hadn’t been properly educated on the rules, an excuse that caused laughter across college athletics.

After all, we’ve seen entire NCAA basketball tournaments stripped from the record books for such acts. And what about the “unique opportunity” two seasons of Southern California players can’t have because Reggie Bush once took money from agents? Or as Rich Brooks, who spent 25 years as a head coach before retiring from Kentucky last year, tweeted: “You are kidding that players at Ohio State did not know it was illegal to sell their rings and awards!! Can play in bowl game?? Crazy!!”

And while a bumbling compliance staff is always an easy scapegoat, the Ohio State student newspaper, The Lantern, quoted former Buckeye Thaddeus Gibson (2007-09), who claimed players were repeatedly told not to sell items.

“Oh yeah, they [OSU athletic director Gene Smith and the coaches] talked about it a lot,” Gibson told the paper.

Oops.

AD Smith promptly declared that the issue with memorabilia sales and free tattoos was “isolated.” That led to former Buckeye Antonio Pittman to tweet to the contrary: “cats been getting hookups on tatts since back in 01.”

Then SportsByBrooks.com reported the tattoo parlor’s owner had pictures of all sorts of Ohio State player memorabilia, including some from Pryor, on his Facebook page. The website also reported Gibson, among nine Buckeyes, got tattoos to the same tattoo parlor.

Every OSU fan message board became filled with tales of signed stuff hanging on the walls of area restaurants, bars and car dealerships.

Conspiracy theories on why the players were eligible for the Sugar Bowl emerged immediately. They ranged from the Big Ten fearing another possible ugly loss to the SEC to the need for the Sugar Bowl to produce a reasonable television rating in the face of sagging numbers for bowls overall. Plus Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and OSU president E. Gordon Gee are the chief defenders of the BCS.

Then there’s the general cronyism that exists between bowl games and the college administrators who keep them financially alive. On Dec. 30, PlayoffPAC revealed that the Orange Bowl provided a free, five-day Caribbean cruise in 2010 to 40 athletic directors, conference officials and their wives, in violation, the group alleges, of IRS rules.

On Dec, 29, the NCAA responded to the backlash by issuing a rare statement declaring: “the notion that the NCAA is selective with its eligibility decisions and rules enforcement is another myth with no basis in fact … Money is not a motivator or factor.”

Within hours Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan had blown that out of the water when he confirmed everyone’s suspicions and said that not only did he lobby hard for Pryor and the others to get a reprieve but also that the powers that be listened to him.

“I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year’s game, we would greatly appreciate it,” Hoolahan told the Columbus Dispatch. “That appeal did not fall on deaf ears.”

Oops.

Hoolahan went on to deem Ohio State fan concerns about their school putting the integrity of a bowl game in front of the integrity of Woody Hayes’ program as “Midwestern values.”

By this point, the usual rally around the player and/or program had fallen apart. While some Buckeye fans still defended Pryor and Ohio State, there was a huge negative backlash on message boards, talk radio shows and in letters to the state newspapers. Not even fans were buying the circular excuses.

Then Pryor showed up at the Sugar Bowl and proceeded to cast doubt on the promise supposedly made by the suspended players that they’d return for next season (a supposed condition on their bowl eligibility). Later he appeared to hack at Ohio State’s claim the players didn’t know the rules in the first place.

“I already knew what I shouldn’t have done back two years ago,” he said.

He even responded to criticism by former Buckeye quarterback and current ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit by mocking, “Has he beat Michigan?” (OSU went 0-4-1 against UM during Herbstreit’s career). The positive for enraged Buckeye fans: Pryor may sell the gold pants given to him for beating Michigan, but he obviously does consider it a measuring stick.

Just as things were quieting down, the Dispatch reported on Jan. 2 that Pryor had been pulled over by police three times in the last three years driving “loaner” cars from a local used car dealer, Auto Direct. Pryor told the paper he only borrowed the cars when his own car (currently a Dodge Charger) was in the shop with repairs.

Ohio State said it was aware of two of the incidents and would look into the third. If we’re led to believe the borrowing of cars were again isolated incidents, then Pryor has some bad luck with local cops. He seemingly gets pulled over every time he receives a nice loaner. Either that or he drives them all the time, of course.

The car dealer did tell the newspaper that he also allowed Pryor, in 2008, to drive a Dodge SUV back to Pryor’s home in Pennsylvania. “I wanted advice from some of my family and friends I trusted to see if it would be a good vehicle for me to maybe buy,” Pryor said.

Unsupervised, out-of-state test drivers of used cars are common practice, correct?

Oops.

Pryor didn’t buy the car, of course. Ohio State, quite naturally, declared everything on the up and up. How? Well, they just did. This wasn’t a violation of NCAA rules.

It is apparently just a coincidence that the dealership, according to the Dispatch, has more than two dozen autographed Buckeye jerseys on display, including ones from Pryor and a couple of the other “suspended” players. Or that there are player autographs all over the walls of the showroom.

It’s also just a coincidence that the used car loaner system Pryor enjoyed is eerily similar to the one former Buckeye Maurice Clarett detailed to ESPN the Magazine back in 2004. “When you’re hot in Columbus, you just go,” Clarett told the Magazine. “Somebody’s going to recognize your face. You say, ‘I need to use a car.’ ‘OK, here you go.’”

Yep, here you go.

While Pryor has received most of the criticism, you can only blame him so much for either breaking or putting himself in danger of breaking NCAA rules that the very administrators he earns huge salaries appear to care little about. A rule is only as strong as the consequences and from his school, to his conference, to his bowl game, to the NCAA itself, there’s no lack of positioning to avoid real penalties.

If the adults don’t take the rules seriously, why should the players?

At this point, Pryor is set to play Tuesday but miss nearly half of next season. (Ohio State is appealing, of course). Meanwhile the entire absurdity of his situation churns on. The school wants its star player on the field. The bowl wants its money. ESPN wants its TV rating. The league wants a victory over the SEC.

Perhaps only Gordon Gee, Jim Delany a few assorted BCS reps believe Terrelle Pryor is an actual eligible student-athlete at this point. At least if you applied the NCAA rules as they previously had been enforced for decades.

Everyone else is expected to play pretend, ignore the man behind the curtain and eagerly await the next chapter of the Terrelle “The Truth” Pryor Show. First he gets to run and throw, then, hopefully, he gets to keep talking.

We’ll gladly loan him our car all next season if he’ll stick around and continue exposing this charade. Let the unwitting whistle-blower play on and on and on.[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
[size="5"][b]OSU won't lose underclassmen to NFL draft, Tressel says[/b]
[/size]Tuesday, January 18, 2011 04:27 PM
[b]By [email="kgordon@dispatch.com"]Ken Gordon[/email]
[/b]

[b]The Columbus Dispatch [/b]

Ohio State will not lose any underclassmen to the NFL draft this year, coach Jim Tressel confirmed today.

"Our kids want to finish their degree and their commitment at Ohio State," Tressel told the Dispatch. "That is very important to each and every one of them, and to our staff and entire athletics family."

The news is not a surprise. Starting on Dec. 28, when receiver DeVier Posey vowed to return for his senior season, every OSU junior suspected of considering an NFL jump has indicated they would return. The main focus has been on the five juniors who face five-game NCAA suspensions this fall. Prior to leaving for the Sugar Bowl, Tressel told the group that unless they pledged to return, they could not travel to New Orleans.

All five gave Tressel their word, and all kept it.

The NFL will officially announce Wednesday which juniors are declaring for the draft. This will be the first year since 2003 that OSU does not lose a junior to the NFL.

Posey was the first to say he would come back. Quarterback Terrelle Pryor was next, on Jan. 1 and again after the bowl game on Jan. 4. Running back Daniel Herron confirmed his return on the field immediately after the bowl.

A few days after the game, offensive tackle Mike Adams indicated via his Twitter account that he would return.

The only one of the players with five-game suspensions who did not publicly pledge to return was defensive end Solomon Thomas. But because he has been a backup, his return really was never in question.

Ironically, the player who may have most seriously considered leaving was center Michael Brewster, who is not under suspension. He told [i]The[/i] [i]Dispatch[/i] on Jan. 10 that he would be back, despite being rated as the No. 1 center prospect by nfldraftscout.com.

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/01/18/osu-wont-lose-underclassmen-to-nfl-draft.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/01/18/osu-wont-lose-underclassmen-to-nfl-draft.html?sid=101[/url]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1295400106' post='962924']
If the shoe keeps falling I would not be surprised to see Pryor in the supplemental draft. Ia m surprised that none came out though.
[/quote]

Pryor is smart enough to know he's not ready. And the suspension may actually have some benefit. In being the scout team QB he will practice every day against better defenses than he would play in any of the first 5 games.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1295406264' post='962944']
They are allowed to practice when they are suspended?

Pryor and Smart should not be in the same sentence. [b]Trust me on this one.[/b]
[/quote]

Do you know him personally?

His wisdom and maturity need some work, but he's not stupid.

• 4 months later...
[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1295400106' post='962924']
If the shoe keeps falling I would not be surprised to see Pryor in the supplemental draft. Ia m surprised that none came out though.
[/quote]

Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce...its the remix to ignition....

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1293126292' post='953160']
Looks like Pryor was giving up his bowl game ring and some awards.

NCAA does not want to suspended them for the bowl game cause they will lose ratings. NCAA is full of shit and this ruling is stupid.
[/quote]

Don't want to lose ratings? What a fucking joke!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived