Ocho to hit the market?

[b][size="5"]Ocho to hit the market?
[/size][/b]

Chad Ochocinco | [color="#225db7"]Bengals[/color] | Interested: [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots"][color="#225db7"]Patriots[/color][/url]?
9:48AM ET

Recently, [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals"][color="#225db7"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url] wide receiver [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2584"][color="#225db7"]Chad Ochocinco[/color][/url] and head coach Marvin Lewis had [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?date=20101224#7405"][color="#225db7"]a bit of a spat[/color][/url] over Ochocinco's injured foot. In the team's game since that strife, third-year wideout [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11280"][color="#225db7"]Jerome Simpson[/color][/url] had a breakout performance, likely [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?date=20101228#7459"][color="#225db7"]increasing his stature in the team's future plans[/color][/url].But going back to Ochocinco, the foot injury that sidelined him in Week 16 is likely to do the same in Week 17, according to Kevin Goheen of [url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101230/SPT02/12310334/1062/SPT/Ochocinco-won-t-play-in-last-game-this-year"][color="#225db7"]the Cincinnati Enquirer[/color][/url]. As Goheen writes, Ochocinco may have played his last game in a Bengals uniform, as the team's 2011 option for him is $6 million. Should they elect not to pick up that option, they'll owe $3.5 million.

If they go that second route, one team that could be a 2011 destination for the receiver is the [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots"][color="#225db7"]New England Patriots[/color][/url]. Though it may sound strange given the Pats' perceived team-first inclinations and Ochocinco's perceived me-first inclinations, the WR and Pats coach Bill Belichick have a respect for one another.

"I like Chad," Belichick said in September. "I like him as a player. I like him as a person. I like his enthusiasm and the fun he has with football, and I like how he competes on the football field. I have a lot of respect for that. An odd couple, but in the end [url="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/article_c9fb6c23-abbf-5f61-ae87-e720695d7f3c.html"][color="#225db7"]I think we have a lot of things in common[/color][/url]." Enough to add him to the Pats' roster? We could find out this offseason.

As much as I hate/love Chad, I think he's still a top receiver. I just can't stand the drama. My only hope is that he goes to the NFC , say St. Louis. IMO, he still command top dollar and by adding that to the 3.5 million buyout option, he'll continue to make big bucks for the next two-three years.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1293812460' post='955393']
Would be our luck that we would pay Chad $3.5 million to go
play for the Patriots and win a ring.
[/quote]

That's not the old I know. After exorcising that demon, all roads to the Super Bowl go through Cincinnati. :D

I still don't get why there isn't more talk about picking up the option and trading him.

Isn't the cost to a team whatever pick/player they give up plus 2.5 Million against their bottom line?

I mean, I really don't think you pull Chad down for anything less than 2.5 Million as another team. He's healthy, productive, and a "star."

Yeah, it's a no-win.. He'll go somewhere and look like a model citizen with "energy and love for the game". I wish him well, and I'll miss the relevance he gave this team. But now, I would just love a team that goes out and executes, not needing to talk to get up for it. If they do let him go, I would like them to get WR with a little size in either the 1st or 2nd round.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1293819055' post='955425']
who said teh pats were winning a ring?

and i doubt the patriots grab a WR who cant run routes at all, gives up on plays... see how that worked for moss after he stopped giving his all...
[/quote]
Yeah! Just like I doubt they would ever grab a RB that lets his feelings show against an organization and win a SB with him.

Dillon! :ninja:

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1293819055' post='955425']
who said teh pats were winning a ring?

and i doubt the patriots grab a WR who cant run routes at all, gives up on plays... see how that worked for moss after he stopped giving his all...
[/quote]
Randy Moss was a complete douche bag while Chad seems to be a genuinely nice guy. Still, your right, he better change his on the field technique of play in a hurry if he wants to play there. NE WRs don't free lance and they all block.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1293897224' post='955522']
They took Corey Dillon didn't they?
[/quote]
And won a Superbowl as well. Dillon had a monster year if I recall. My guess is Chad will quickly fall into line if he went there. He would be in the national spot light every week and my guess is the team would be damn good like it is every year. I doubt he would want to rock a boat that good.

[quote name='Sigfox09' timestamp='1293898320' post='955523']
I'll root for him if he goes to the Pats. I'd like to see him have a shot to get a ring. It doesnt look like Cincy is giong to be winning one anytime soon so Chad getting one would be nice.
[/quote]

I always wonder why people give a rat's ass whether some player "gets a ring".

And even more so why they would want their player to get one somewhere else. These guys are property/commodities. It's like I would send my assets at Apple for nothing to Microsoft in order to make sure they have a good home. Doesn't do me any good.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' timestamp='1293840534' post='955479']
I still don't get why there isn't more talk about picking up the option and trading him.

Isn't the cost to a team whatever pick/player they give up plus 2.5 Million against their bottom line?

I mean, I really don't think you pull Chad down for anything less than 2.5 Million as another team. He's healthy, productive, and a "star."
[/quote]

My quick reactions to that are that this team isn't very trade savvy, that there seems to be a belief the CBA situation has teams wary of getting creative, and that it's sometimes tough to trade guys working on a one year deal. Teams prefer to know they'll have a guy for awhile before giving away draft picks.

They will already pay him 3.5mil if he's not on the roster next year, I have a hard time believing MB would tack on an extra 2.5mil salary to someone not on his team just to garner an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

If they pick up the option I think there is no question he plays for the Bengals next year.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1293903592' post='955534']
I always wonder why people give a rat's ass whether some player "gets a ring".

And even more so why they would want their player to get one somewhere else. These guys are property/commodities. It's like I would send my assets at Apple for nothing to Microsoft in order to make sure they have a good home. Doesn't do me any good.
[/quote]
I agree with you, Le Tigre. Why should I be excited about an ex-Bengal making millions of dollars getting a Super Bowl ring on a different NFL team? I just care about the Bengals.

Chad may end up playing in Miami. That's his hometown.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1293905404' post='955537']
They will already pay him 3.5mil if he's not on the roster next year, I have a hard time believing MB would tack on an extra 2.5mil salary to someone not on his team just to garner an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

If they pick up the option I think there is no question he plays for the Bengals next year.
[/quote]

Well I guess we need Reedy to do his job (or maybe my background knowledge is weak, in which case Reedy still needs to do his job). Is this a guaranteed option? Meaning if the Bengals pick it up, do they cut the check that day, or does the payment happen later?

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1293899428' post='955526']
And won a Superbowl as well. Dillon had a monster year if I recall. [size="3"][b]My guess is Chad will quickly fall into line if he went there. [/b][/size] He would be in the national spot light every week and my guess is the team would be damn good like it is every year. I doubt he would want to rock a boat that good.
[/quote]

I agree totally.. that franchise is run so well now... they don't stand for shit.... If he goes there he will not cause problems..IMO

Archived