Marvin to Pitt or San Francisco?

[b]University of Pittsburgh interested in Bengals coach Lewis[/b]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d61251/article/university-of-pittsburgh-interested-in-bengals-coach-lewis?module=HP_headlines

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is on the short list of candidates to take over the University of Pittsburgh's football program, a league source said Sunday.

Lewis' contract with the Bengals expires after this season and might not be renewed. Cincinnati managed just four wins through 16 weeks and earlier this season tied a franchise record with 10 consecutive losses.

In eight seasons under Lewis, the Bengals have posted just two winning seasons and lost in both of their playoff appearances. Lewis had a 60-66-1 record entering Sunday's season finale against the Baltimore Ravens.

Pittsburgh's vacancy appeared when the school fired head coach Mike Haywood on Saturday, saying he couldn't continue in the job he held for just 2½ weeks because of his arrest on a domestic-violence charge.

Haywood was released Saturday from St. Joseph County Jail in Indiana on $1,000 cash bond, said an officer at the jail who declined to give her name, after the charge was upgraded from a misdemeanor to felony domestic battery in the presence of a minor.

Within hours of Haywood's afternoon release, Pittsburgh put out a statement from Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg, saying the coach had been dismissed, "effective immediately," and the school was reopening its search.

Haywood was arrested about 3 p.m. Friday after a custody issue developed with a woman with whom the coach has a child, police said. The unidentified woman told police that Haywood grabbed her by the arm and neck and pushed her as she tried to leave the home that the coach owns in South Bend, Ind., where he once was a Notre Dame assistant.

Assistant St. Joseph County Police Chief Bill Redman said the woman had marks on her neck, arms and back.

Haywood's hiring by athletic director Steve Pederson was greeted unenthusiastically by fans, boosters, alumni and students who questioned why a school with annual Top 25 aspirations hired him away from mid-major Miami of Ohio. Dave Wannstedt, forced to resign last month following a disappointing 7-5 season, coached the Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins before his 2004 hiring at Pittsburgh.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1294002377' post='956358']
No that Marvin would go to Pitt.
[/quote]

Ah... I still don't see it, but I could certainly be wrong. I just don't think Marvin is a college kind of guy. I think he did his stint for experience and career advancement, but not for love of the college game.

in a fucked year with the season all but over with, there wasn't a single player that wasn't motivated by marvin lewis throughout that whole game. surely, that should account for something. i think you guys that think you're going to end up with something better than marvin, are going to have your feelings hurt.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294003584' post='956412']
in a fucked year with the season all but over with, there wasn't a single player that wasn't motivated by marvin lewis throughout that whole game. surely, that should account for something. i think you guys that think you're going to end up with something better than marvin, are going to have your feelings hurt.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='joshua' timestamp='1294003369' post='956403']
Marvin is a players coach...he'd do well coaching college kids and he's a good enough talent evaluator to build a good Pitt team. He could have them contending in the Big East every year.
[/quote]

And he wouldnt have to deal with divas either.

This would not shock me at all.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294003584' post='956412']
[/quote]

I'm think this defense is going to get them back on the playoff hunt map next year regardless who the head coach is.

The question is: If they bounce back. Do you have a coach that is going to get his team playing best football late in the year and win a playoff game? Do you have a coach that the following season is going to manage expectations of his team?

I don't think Marvin Lewis is the only coach in the football world that has a chance to do it.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294003859' post='956424']
I'm think this defense is going to get them back on the playoff hunt map next year regardless who the head coach is.

The question is: If they bounce back. Do you have a coach that is going to get his team playing best football late in the year and win a playoff game? Do you have a coach that the following season is going to manage expectations of his team?

I don't think Marvin Lewis is the only coach in the football world that has a chance to do it.
[/quote]

The two times we've been in the playoffs, I don't think we haven't won b/c Marvin didn't have his team ready. Marvin has a good relationship with the team it seems and his players always play for him. Other that Zim, I don't see anyone stepping in right away and having a bond like that with the locker room.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294003859' post='956424']

[/quote]

in mike you trust.

in mike...the shit rolls down my leg!

Part of me does want Marvin back for his ability to consistently motivate his guys and challenge guys to push themselves. The other part wants Marvin back b/c that would be a clear indicator Mike has ceded some control of the team to Marvin.

Put those two reasons together and I think we desperately would like to see Marvin back next year and beyond.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294004481' post='956437']
in mike you trust.

in mike...the shit rolls down my leg!
[/quote]

Excuse me, but I don't recall anyone thinking we'd finish last behind the Browns this season.

It was a shitty coaching job. I think we even once again got pinged for a pre snap penalty for failure to cover the end man on LOS.

Why does wanting to hold Marvin accountable for the shitty job he did this season revert back to Mike Brown for you?

Marvin was able to build something and at the least make them competitive in almost every game he coached, compared to the past thats a good thing but now its time to move beyond that and I dont think he's that guy. He changed the culture but I think its clear thats hes not the guy to make them a consistent playoff caliber team. Sometimes the guy who built it isnt the same type of guy needed to take them over the top and I think its time to try someone else

Archived