Marvin to Pitt or San Francisco?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1294005842' post='956472']
not on the same level no
[/quote]

definetly not dozens of players getting caught trading gifts for money, tattoos, drugs, DUI's, breaking rules, getting special treatment, etc...

its a slightly different beast.. but as far as avoiding headaches, ncaa probably has far more headaches and restrictions and stricter rules than the nfl..

not to mention boosters, and the politics side... ick.. doesnt seem like something marvin would be into.. but who knows.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294006277' post='956486']
Big East would be a good spot. You can get away with pulling very little 5 or 4 star players and still get a shot at a BCS birth.

That cuts the drama down a ton. You can make a very competitive roster with 3 star players in the Big East.
[/quote]
Whoa with the Big East hate! We got TCU coming in, business is about to pick up significantly.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1294007264' post='956499']
LOL, I don't think many divas have Pitt on their A list.
[/quote]
Actually, Pitt had some of the highest rated recruiting classes with Wanstedt there. And they traditionally produce a bunch of solid NFL guys...Dan Marino comes instantly to mind. Revis Island too. Lack of talent is not their issue.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294005099' post='956454']
Excuse me, but I don't recall anyone thinking we'd finish last behind the Browns this season.

It was a shitty coaching job. I think we even once again got pinged for a pre snap penalty for failure to cover the end man on LOS.

Why does wanting to hold Marvin accountable for the shitty job he did this season revert back to Mike Brown for you?
[/quote]

because mike brown would be the guy in charge of hiring the next coach...and he had to have a lot of help from his daughter the last time around with the whole process. on top of which, his record has never been too good in this area. is that enough?

[b][url="http://twitter.com/JohnThornton"][color="#0a0501"]JohnThornton[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] I hope they hire him this time. Perfect fit RT @[url="http://twitter.com/JamieLemley"][color="#0a0501"]JamieLemley[/color][/url]: Is Marvin Lewis going to Pitt?
[url="http://twitter.com/JohnThornton/status/21696149513576449"]1 minute ago[/url] via [url="http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php"]ÃœberTwitter[/url]

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294008004' post='956511']
because mike brown would be the guy in charge of hiring the next coach...and he had to have a lot of help from his daughter the last time around with the whole process. on top of which, his record has never been too good in this area. is that enough?
[/quote]

Mike and his daughter oversaw the process that brought the following:

1. The current coach you are afraid of losing today.
2. Tom Coughlin - won a superbowl
3. Mike Mularkey - last coach to win in Buffalo and currently oversees the offense for the No. 1 overall seed in the NFC this year.

So I really don't understand why all of sudden people think Mike and/or his daughter A) Got lucky with Marvin and B are going to half ass the coaching search this time around.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294008802' post='956528']

3. Mike Mularkey - last coach to win in Buffalo and currently oversees the offense for the No. 1 overall seed in the NFC this year.

So I really don't understand why all of sudden people think Mike and/or his daughter A) Got lucky with Marvin and B are going to half ass the coaching search this time around.
[/quote]

we understand that.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1294008192' post='956513']
[b][url="http://twitter.com/JohnThornton"][color="#0a0501"]JohnThornton[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] I hope they hire him this time. Perfect fit RT @[url="http://twitter.com/JamieLemley"][color="#0a0501"]JamieLemley[/color][/url]: Is Marvin Lewis going to Pitt?
[url="http://twitter.com/JohnThornton/status/21696149513576449"]1 minute ago[/url] via [url="http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php"]ÃœberTwitter[/url]
[/quote]

He wants Marvin at Pitt and Cam Newton in a Bengals uniform. He also says Chad doesn't freelance... I like the guy, but I sure don't agree with his opinions sometimes.

If all these reports of what Marvin is demanding from Mike are true (practice facility, front office personnel changes) then we are a million times better with Marvin and an organizational structure change than Zimmer or anyone else.

But Mikey will likely NEVER give up his power.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294013449' post='956574']
we understand that.
[/quote]

You do? Then why settle for a coach that loses the challenge flag, won't let his franchise QB call timeouts and now struggles with what down it is when the game is on the line?

All on top of taking a defending division champ returning alot of starters with FA improvements and draft class impacts then finishes last.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294021023' post='956676']
You do? Then why settle for a coach that loses the challenge flag, won't let his franchise QB call timeouts and now struggles with what down it is when the game is on the line?

All on top of taking a defending division champ returning alot of starters with FA improvements and draft class impacts then finishes last.
[/quote]

because of my fear of the unknown with that guy you respect so much. your points would make a lot more sense in a normal football operations, but this is anything but that...and that has point has been made clear time after time.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294022667' post='956686']
because of my fear of the unknown with that guy you respect so much. your points would make a lot more sense in a normal football operations, but this is anything but that...and that has point has been made clear time after time.
[/quote]

Fear of unknown????? Oh the drama!

The worse case based on speculation is Zimmer. Now are you really going to sit there and claim Mike Zimmer with what we know is coming back on defense has 0 chance to match Marvin?

Why accept a coach that in fact took a loaded roster and under achieved badly? Fear of the unknown?

Mike Brown would have been well within his right to fire Marvin if he made the playoffs but didn't win a game with this roster.

I don't want to sit and bash Marvin because he did some good things here. He never delivered on expectations. When you really break it down his best years with the bengals were with a core of players he had nothing to do with acquiring and had nothing to do with the system they used to succeed.

The guy hasn't performed well enough with talent to be treated as a coaching God.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1294003803' post='956422']
And he wouldnt have to deal with divas either.

This would not shock me at all.
[/quote]

I've got to think you've got far more divas in College than in the Pros. It's sorta like comparing yellow belt divas to 3rd degree black belt divas like Chad, but those college coaches have to coddle away from their high schools and other colleges players who were the absolute best not just on their team, but in their league, and who at their local high school levels a player hadn't been seen like that good in the last 5 years.

Just saying, if you're a D-1 prospect at Joe Schmoe High School you're an ultra-allstar the likes of which hasn't been seen in a long time.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294008802' post='956528']

[/quote]

Dave Shula-Bruce Coslet-Dick Lebeau. That is why people are afraid.

I forgot Mularkey was in the mix last time. Your argument makes a lot of sense and is not something I have considered. He did do a great job last time.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1294028800' post='956716']
Dave Shula-Bruce Coslet-Dick Lebeau. That is why people are afraid.

I forgot Mularkey was in the mix last time. Your argument makes a lot of sense and is not something I have considered. He did do a great job last time.
[/quote]

Just don't think the Brown family is going to mail it in on the coaching search. Doesn't mean they'll get it right but I don't think they'll half ass it either.

You got to evaluate Marvin on the performance. He dug this franchise out of a ditch but he failed to move them forward. He had talent. It was a horrible coaching job this year. You can't move beyond Marvin until you move on beyond Marvin.

What's the solution? Hold on to Marvin until he dies? Make him Joe Pa of the Bengals? Time for his era to end. All because of fear of Shula, Coslet, and Lebeau? Dumb.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294030296' post='956722']
Just don't think the Brown family is going to mail it in on the coaching search. Doesn't mean they'll get it right but I don't think they'll half ass it either.

You got to evaluate Marvin on the performance. He dug this franchise out of a ditch but he failed to move them forward. He had talent. It was a horrible coaching job this year. You can't move beyond Marvin until you move on beyond Marvin.

What's the solution? Hold on to Marvin until he dies? Make him Joe Pa of the Bengals? Time for his era to end. All because of fear of Shula, Coslet, and Lebeau? Dumb.
[/quote]
The fear is b/c the root of the problem is the one that hired Shula, Coslet, Leabeau. Marvin wants the things changed that will change the culture of this franchise. He believes those changes will make us winners and so do I. Im not saying MB is a bad guy but I think he's too oldschool to understand what it takes in this era of the NFL. You should hope that Marvin can get through to the owner of our favorite team.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1294030703' post='956726']
The fear is b/c the root of the problem is the one that hired Shula, Coslet, Leabeau. Marvin wants the things changed that will change the culture of this franchise. He believes those changes will make us winners and so do I. Im not saying MB is a bad guy but I think he's too oldschool to understand what it takes in this era of the NFL. You should hope that Marvin can get through to the owner of our favorite team.
[/quote]

Fools gold. Bengal fans play this game of trying to figure out change. When things are going well, Marvin is in control. When things aren't going well, Mike is back in charge.

It's silly.

All I know since tearing down the team in 2007 the Front office has added talent and there is no way in hell we should have only 4 wins and be in last place this season.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294008212' post='956514']
jonathan baldwin sure looks like he has all the makings of one. (i'd love to have him, too!)
[/quote]
The makings of a pro or a Diva? I thought we were talking Divas. Most Divas want to go to the U of Fs, or Alabamas or one of the super high visibility schools so they can strut their stuff on National not just local TV. Pros come from just about everywhere.

[quote name='GoCommando' timestamp='1294007608' post='956506']
Actually, Pitt had some of the highest rated recruiting classes with Wanstedt there. And they traditionally produce a bunch of solid NFL guys...Dan Marino comes instantly to mind. Revis Island too. Lack of talent is not their issue.
[/quote]

Are we talking about good recruits or Divas? Not one and the same. Most Divas want to hit the U of F or USC type schools, not a Pitt. When I think Diva I am thinking Michael Irvin at Miami type players.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294031860' post='956728']
Fools gold. Bengal fans play this game of trying to figure out change. When things are going well, Marvin is in control. When things aren't going well, Mike is back in charge.

It's silly.

All I know since tearing down the team in 2007 the Front office has added talent and there is no way in hell we should have only 4 wins and be in last place this season.
[/quote]

The one in charge is ultimately MB but for the long term success of this franchise, I think Marvins demands are not too unreasonable. Yea, this team underachieved, we agree on that, and there's no point placing blame here nor there; it solves nothing. I happen to think that if MB announced an expansion of the player/personell dept., or that they were going to upgrade facilities, and keep Marvin, that the fan base would be overjoyed. Dont you?

[size="5"][b]Sources: Lewis could pursue Pitt opening[/b]
[/size]By [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/expertsarchive?author=Jason+Cole"][color="#046bca"]Jason Cole[/color][/url], Yahoo! Sports 7 hours, 20 minutes ago

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cin/"][color="#046bca"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url] coach Marvin Lewis may not wait to hear if owner Mike Brown wants to bring him back. Instead, a source close to Lewis said the 2009 NFL Coach of the Year may pursue the open job at the University of Pittsburgh after spending the past eight years with the Bengals. NFL Network reported earlier in the day that the university, which fired head coach Michael Haywood on Saturday, was [url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d61251/article/university-of-pittsburgh-interested-in-bengals-coach-lewis?module=HP_headlines"][color="#7b98aa"]interested in Lewis[/color][/url].

"Marvin is from that area and I think he's very interested," the source said of the Pennsylvania native. A team source indicated that members of the coaching staff believe Lewis will not return, even if asked to come back.

The Pitt job became available again a little more than two weeks following the resignation of Dave Wannstedt. Haywood was fired one day after being arrested on a felony domestic abuse charge in Indiana.

As for Lewis, he has become increasingly disenchanted with the way the Bengals have been run by Brown. Among his frustrations are that the Bengals have a smaller scouting staff and require the coaching staff to do much of the scouting of college players in the offseason.

Lewis won coach of the year honors after leading the Bengals to a 10-6 mark last season, the second winning season during his tenure. However, the Bengals, who had only two winning seasons in the 16 years before Lewis took over and have made the playoffs in back-to-back years only once in the team's 43-year history, regressed to 4-12 this year.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnSlCTFlb4TadZp9HTli72Q5nYcB?slug=jc-lewispitt010211"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnSlCTFlb4TadZp9HTli72Q5nYcB?slug=jc-lewispitt010211[/url]

Archived