WR/TE situation

How comfortable are you with WR/TE situation?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How comfortable are you with WR/TE situation? (10 being highest)

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1294005299' post='956458']
Do you really want to use the #3 overall pick on a rotational player?
[/quote]

What about Patrick Peterson from LSU. He translated into CB or S in the NFL. He has the potential to be a top 5 pick.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1294004094' post='956431']
Wooo Hoooo!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants A.J. Green!
[/quote]

AJ green is overkill at this point and would just take promising snaps away from other guys who are proving they are capable of making plays....big plays.
add an AJ green and you won't get the production out of all these other elements....caldwell, simpson, shipley, gresham, scott, and yes, now even coffman. sure, anyone can fantasize how he could augment our passing attack, but at what cost to the other guys who would lose snaps. and that doesn't even mention the top notch player we'd turn down just so we could take green.

count me out! any questions that remained unanswered should have been answered today. get a mid level experienced guy, then draft another in rounds 3-5 and we should be ok to go.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294005823' post='956471']
AJ green is overkill at this point and would just take promising snaps away from other guys who are proving they are capable of making plays....big plays.
add an AJ green and you won't get the production out of all these other elements....caldwell, simpson, shipley, gresham, scott, and yes, now even coffman. sure, anyone can fantasize how he could augment our passing attack, but at what cost to the other guys who would lose snaps. and that doesn't even mention the top notch player we'd turn down just so we could take green.

count me out! any questions that remained unanswered should have been answered today. get a mid level experienced guy, then draft another in rounds 3-5 and we should be ok to go.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='WhoDey85' timestamp='1294005580' post='956463']
What about Patrick Peterson from LSU. He translated into CB or S in the NFL. He has the potential to be a top 5 pick.
[/quote]

#3 on a safety? WHo has never played safety? And is an elite CB?

Especially when there are several good safeties in this draft. Plus I like what I saw from Nelson the past couple of weeks.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294005823' post='956471']

[/quote]

Overkill because of a guy who is a free agent after next year and has 2 good career games and had 2 fumbles today.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1294006003' post='956479']
#3 on a safety? WHo has never played safety? And is an elite CB?

Especially when there are several good safeties in this draft. Plus I like what I saw from Nelson the past couple of weeks.
[/quote]

Just a thought. Ideally, it would be nice to trade down and pick up a couple extra picks. Nelson has looked good recently.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1294006135' post='956481']
Overkill because of a guy who is a free agent after next year and has 2 good career games and had 2 fumbles today.
[/quote]

yep. you can buy stickum a helluva lot cheaper than you can buy green. no, all joking aside, that really doesn't bother me that much with those big hands. he'll get over that with coaching and experience. do you think either of these guys wouldn't gladly accept a contract extension if one was offered at this point? let's not fall into that trap of reasoning.

you win in this league with defense. this offense is plenty explosive enough, if you get a defense playing at a high level. the defense played well today. but they were up against an offense that isn't hitting on all cylinders and has some question marks.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1294006135' post='956481']
[/quote]
Fumbles are correctable. Can't teach that 4.3 speed and 40 plus inch vertical leap. He looks like a keeper to me. Running precise rts plus catches the ball well. Looks to me like Jerome is a No. 1 receiver.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1294006386' post='956487']
You think we have more talent at WR then DT?
[/quote]

yes, i do. if you want to dominate in this league, you start with your defense...you start with the middle of your defense. everything flows out from there, IMO. build the core... fill in the pieces....makes every man on your defense better.

I agree with your premise, But I dont think you can count on Caldwell or Simpson quite yet and they both are Free Agents after 2011. We certainly have more then we thought we would have 3 weeks ago and their play allows us to go some different directions in the offseason, and we can let OCinco walk.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1294006812' post='956492']
Our offense scored 7 points today.
[/quote]

why? because they didn't have AC green? come on now! you know the reason was the poor play calling, and the two silly drops by the kid (which is correctable), and the 3 TOs by the QB. they moved the ball up and down the field all day long on the #4 defense.

It says a lot that some of Simpson's harshest critics are in here defending him and saying they are comfortable with him in the starting lineup now. What a crazy season its been.

The way I see it, right now the Bengals comfortably have 2 #2 WR's and a #3 WR. Plus a TE who has Pro-Bowl talent.

Put all that together, and it makes a first round WR far more a luxury than a need. Not that I'd complain for one second if they took AJ Green, or traded down and got Jones or Blackmon and an extra 2nd rounder.

IMO the top 3 on your draft board should be Fairley, Bowers, and Petersen.

Then in the 2nd or (preferably) 3rd or 4th round you grab a WR who has the measurables/talent to turn into a #1 WR.

Pettis, Hankerson, and Toliver all fit that mold. DeAndre Brown also may fit that mold. All have the skills, but aren't plug and play like Green/Jones/Blackmon.

That way, you now have two WR's on the team who have the skills to turn into #1 WR's. I'd also consider a 2nd WR in the draft or free agency that can challenge Cosby. I like Cosby and all, but he only offers you so much as a WR and isn't enough of a stud on special teams that his spot should be safe. There are a number of late round guys who can return punts and have talent to develop into #2 or #3 WR's.

As for the poll, I'd say a 7.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294007705' post='956508']
why? because they didn't have AC green? come on now! you know the reason was the poor play calling, and the two silly drops by the kid (which is correctable), and the 3 TOs by the QB. they moved the ball up and down the field all day long on the #4 defense.
[/quote]

Who do you think makes a bigger difference in the game today? Fairley or Green? I would say Green.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1294009199' post='956537']
Who do you think makes a bigger difference in the game today? Fairley or Green? I would say Green.
[/quote]

well, that's clearly where we differ. nothing wrong with that. but i don't think WRs getting open for passes were the biggest problem today.

We have much much more potential and long term investment at DE and DT then we do at WR.
We also have much more production at DE and DT then we do at WR.

WR Johnson 2011 Cosby 2010
WR Shipley 2013 Simpson 2011
WR Caldwell 2011 Hodge 2010

LE Dunlap 2013 Johnson 2012 Rucker 2010 Ruffin UDFA
LT Atkins 2013 Sims 2011 McDonald 2011
RT Peko 2014 Johnson 2013
RE Geathers 2012 Fanene 2010 Odom 2012 Ayendeju

Later round WRs are not usually plug and play...look at Caldwell and Simpson. If we go into next year with Caldwell and Simpson we very well could need someone to replace them next year as they head into FA. With that said, because it is a deep draft, I am still very intrigued by the going for Fairley argument and then a WR later on. However, At this point I think WR is a far bigger need.

I don't think we have a WR on our roster that scares other teams if we dont take Green.

I am so happy we lost this game today because I have narrowed my list to Fairley and Green and hope that Luck comes out so that we get a chance at one of them. I am not interested in Bowers. He has only had one good year and the history of early first round DE's is bad. Johnson and Dunlap have also looked great and will have tons of talent at the spot to spell them Geathers-Fanene-Rucker-and even maybe Odom. Patrick Peterson would help this team but I think that we franchise Joseph or otherwise dont let him go.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1294010071' post='956542']
well, that's clearly where we differ. nothing wrong with that. but i don't think WRs getting open for passes were the biggest problem today.
[/quote]

And therein is why we come here, if we all thought the same this would be boring as hell. It would be like Jon Grudens opinion on players....ever notice he loves every single player...."Let me tell you about the backup TE for the Rams, This is my kind of guy!"

Archived