Stats on Carson, the O-line and Defense

[b]Did you know?[/b]
Carson Palmer attempted a franchise record 586 passes this season.
Carson Palmer was sacked 26 times this season.
But he was not sacked in his final 99 pass attempts of the season.
His final sack of the season came at the 10:40 mark of the 4th quarter vs Pittsburgh (Lamar Woodley) on Dec. 12.
The no sack streak:
Final 10 pass attempts vs Pitt
23 pass attempts vs Cleveland
21 pass attempts vs San Diego
45 pass attempts vs Baltimore
He had been sacked at least three times in five of the six games prior to the season ending streak.

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

[b]Bengals: 2009 .vs 2010[/b]
Record: 10-6/4-12

[b]Offense: 2009 vs 2010[/b]
Points per game: 19.1/20.1
Yards per game: 309.1/330.6
Rush att per game: 31.6/26.8
Rush yds per attempt: 4.1/3.6
Rush yds per game: 128.5/95.1
Rush TD: 9/8
Pass att per game: 29.8/36.9
Pass yds per game: 180.6/235.4
TD passes: 21/26
3rd down conversions: 40.6/38.8
Sacked: 29/28
1st downs: 295/317

[b]Defense: 2009 vs 2010[/b]
Points allowed: 18.2/24.7 (Take away Carson's pick six throws, special team TD returns allowed, fumble returns and a safety and defense actually allowed 20.1 in '10---per emailer Greg)
Yards allowed: 301.4/332.0
Rush yds allowed per attempt: 3.9/4.4
Rush yds allowed per game: 98.3/115.2
Rush TD allowed: 12/15
Pass yds allowed per game: 203.1/216.8
TD passes allowed: 18/21
3rd down conversions allowed: 38.6/37.9
Sacks recorded: 34/27
1st downs allowed: 276/290

[b]Other: 2009 vs 2010[/b]
Time of possession: 31.59/31:14
Penalties: 114/90

[b]Carson Palmer[/b]
2009: 282 of 466, 3094 yards, 60.5%, 6.6 ypa, 21 TD, 13 INT, 83.6 rating
2010: 362 of 586, 3970 yards, 61.8%, 6.8 ypa, 26 TD, 20 INT, 82.4 rating

[b]Ced Benson[/b]
2009: 13 games, 301 rushes, 1251 yards, 4.2 AVG, 6 TD
2010: 16 games, 321 rushes, 1111 yards, 3.5 AVG, 7 TD

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294152491' post='957522']
As a whole they threw over a 100 more times and gave up 1 less sack than the previous year.

Protection was not a problem for Carson.
[/quote]

I disagree...

sacks do not tell the whole story..

Early in the season Palmer rarely had a clean pocket to step into....

Hurries can be as bad if not worse than sacks....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1294152632' post='957523']
I disagree...

[/quote]

yep stats don't mean much. The oline doesn't pass the eyeball test, in either the pass or run game. 0 sacks doesn't account for rushed and hurried throws and hits your QB still takes because of shaky protection.

Upgrading the oline is still the #1 priority for this offseason.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1294152632' post='957523']
I disagree...

[/quote]

Go back and read Joe Reedy's weekly updates on percentage of time they played 3 WR or more formations.

They expanded the offense and the O-line did not blow up.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1294153084' post='957527']
yep stats don't mean much. The oline doesn't pass the eyeball test, in either the pass or run game. 0 sacks doesn't account for rushed and hurried throws and hits your QB still takes because of shaky protection.

[/quote]

Yeah they do. They compare favorably with the other lines around the league. Stats just support that.

They threw more out of more open formations and gave up less sacks. That demonstrates coaching confidence. Eyeball test? Who's eyes?

If they weren't passing the eyeball test with those that mattered. Would they throw it more? Would they put the extra 3rd WR out there more? Wouldn't eventually the eyeball test be demonstrated on the stat sheet?

Before this gets spinned out of control with your BS. Going into the year they added weapons in hopes of better offense. Alot of people were on board with that. The O-line proved to play well enought to let it happen.

I think the OL passed blocked well this year and certainly well enough to see more results than we did.

1. CP forcing passes to TO and Chad
2. TO and Chad not being in the spots they are expected to be
3. CP making bone-headed decisions in general
4. Play calling
5. Roland
6. Playing from behind in most games

IMO these items, in this order, are most responsible for the lack of success we saw in the passing game. Only one of them is an O-lineman and he was a backup seeing a lot of playing time.

If we dropped back and threw the ball 900 times a season I'd say we don't have a major need to upgrade the OL because they do a good enough job...but there in lies the problem, we have still have to run the ball 400 times a season and the interior line takes the bullet for our failure in that department.

Whit, Collins, Smith, I don't think there is an immediate need to seek replacements because we can succeed with some combination of those tackles.

But we will continue to fail at 3rd and short with Livings, Cook, Williams, and Mathis on the inside. That needs to be addressed and I hope it comes via Logan Mankins or round 2-3 in the draft.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1294152491' post='957522']
As a whole they threw over a 100 more times and gave up 1 less sack than the previous year.

Protection was not a problem for Carson.
[/quote]

SACKS ARE ALL THAT MATTER>>>>> GETTING HIT WHEN YOU THROW DOESNT MATTER!!!!!!

having broken plays when your vet QB gets rid of te ball doesnt matter?

making your QB change his footwork for teh shorter drops and routes doesnt matter or effect the offense?

sacks are the only gauge of protection?

get fucking real.

he was running for his life when he fumbled... that woulda been 3 points, and if shithead kicker hadnt missed a FG from 29 yrds... thats a tie game... PROTECTION IS FINE!!!!!!!

UN FUCKING REAL...

you either arent watching or dont understand football in any way shape or form...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1294166906' post='957742']

making your QB change his footwork for teh shorter drops and routes doesnt matter or effect the offense?

get fucking real.

he was running for his life when he fumbled... that woulda been 3 points, and if shithead kicker hadnt missed a FG from 29 yrds... thats a tie game... PROTECTION IS FINE!!!!!!!

UN FUCKING REAL...

you either arent watching or dont understand football in any way shape or form...
[/quote]

This debate has been going on since 2008.

Most here watch the games, no? How the hell can anyone argue that Carson gets good protection from the offensive line, if they watch the game? Seriously? Are they fucking blind? Do they have really tiny TVs? Do they have it on in the background, and spend all their time posting "OMG carson shit" "oh he almost had it!!!" "go cedric" "shovel pass argh" on this forum instead of watching the game?

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1294167211' post='957748']
This debate has been going on since 2008.

Most here watch the games, no? How the hell can anyone argue that Carson gets good protection from the offensive line, if they watch the game? Seriously? Are they fucking blind? Do they have really tiny TVs? Do they have it on in the background, and spend all their time posting "OMG carson shit" "oh he almost had it!!!" "go cedric" "shovel pass argh" on this forum instead of watching the game?
[/quote]

yes they do..

he has what a 152 QB rating against the #1-2 defense in the chargers when THEY needed a win for a playoff birth...

he sucks obviouslly the line is super duper awesome... thats why the run game is so good too

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1294166906' post='957742']

get fucking real.

UN FUCKING REAL...

[/quote]

Line proved it. Get over it already.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1294153084' post='957527']

[/quote]
I completely agree. The interior of this Oline is absolute garage. I got so sick of seeing Livings being thrown around like a rag doll. I think Collins played well at RT and I hope Andre Smith comes back strong. We need to upgrade LG for sure and possibly C. Bobbie is also on the downside of his career, so maybe slide Andre to RG and let collins play RT.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1294189886' post='958180']
No they didnt. They did play better near the end of the year, but first half of the year they sucked.
[/quote]
Even toward the end of the year, our run blocking was abysmal. I would be interested to see how many times Ced was met in the backfield on his carries. How many freaking 3rd&1's did we fail to convert against the Ravens b/c of the Oline's inability to get any push. The pass protection did seem to improve toward the end of the year once the Dennis "the Matador" Roland was replaced by Anthony Collins. How in the world Collins was riding the bench n favor of Roalnd I will never understand.

[quote name='WhoDey85' timestamp='1294190247' post='958183']
Even toward the end of the year, our run blocking was abysmal. I would be interested to see how many times Ced was met in the backfield on his carries. How many freaking 3rd&1's did we fail to convert against the Ravens b/c of the Oline's inability to get any push. The pass protection did seem to improve toward the end of the year once the Dennis "the Matador" Roland was replaced by Anthony Collins. How in the world Collins was riding the bench n favor of Roalnd I will never understand.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='WhoDey85' timestamp='1294190247' post='958183']
[/quote]

no im sure benson just sucks, according to the scharminator.

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pRgL0Xw_NtA/Sa1ckH9AYLI/AAAAAAAAANM/U-evIQlPlI0/s400/13695.jpg[/img]

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1294201068' post='958348']
proved that they sucked ass for the first 12 games?

awesome.

i love a line that blows ass 75% of the season..
[/quote]

No surprise you love a OC that blows ass forever.

!!!!11111!!!@!!@@@!21OMGBBQGVEMEMNY

Archived