Upcoming Movie Trailers

Bengals1181

I saw "Ted" tonight. I did not see the trailer in advance. There are two lines in the beginning that are really funny, and then the laughs are hit and miss. Some jokes work really well, others don't. Some of the audience clapped at the end. This is not the funniest movie of the last 5 years (Hangover and Harold and Kumar 1 and 3 in my opinion are). I just wish comedy wasn't so predictable, and this one was no exception. Nonetheless, it isn't worth full price.

does anyone else want to see this just to see what it would have been like?

[quote][img]http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/3/3/5/118335.jpg?v=2[/img]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]How do you do a sequel for a movie where the main character died at the end? The answer is: You don't. Or, if you're Russell Crowe, the other answer is: You hire a rock star to write [i]the most deranged gladiator movie ever conceived[/i]. It's important to note that we didn't make up any part of the story we're about to tell you: This is a [url="http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/648584-nick-caves-gladiator-2-script-leaked"]real script[/url] that exists, and it was personally commissioned by Ridley Scott and Crowe. It's also the only entry in this list we actually want to see, because of how awesomely insane it is.[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]After doing [i]Gladiator[/i], Scott and Crowe were eager to do a sequel but had one little problem: As mentioned, the main character (Maximus) is unmistakably dead and buried by the end of the movie. Crowe thought there had to be a way around that pesky little detail and [url="http://www.nme.com/news/nick-cave/44476"]hired the legendary Nick Cave[/url] from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds to come up with a "creative solution." The fact that the [i]Gladiator 2[/i] script was written by a famous rock star is the most normal thing about it.[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][center][img]http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/3/3/2/118332.jpg?v=1[/img][size="1"][color=#909090][right]Getty[/right][/color][/size]
[size="1"]Above: Either Nick Cave or the antichrist's drug dealer.[/size][/size][/font][/color][/center]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]The story written by Cave opens with Maximus gladiatoring the shit out of some Roman gods in the afterlife until they agree to let him go back to the land of the living. The newly reincarnated Maximus then spends some time in Rome defending early Christians from persecution -- and somehow becoming immortal. During the next two hours, we watch Maximus kick ass throughout history, being present at every important war ever fought from the Crusades to Vietnam, like a more muscular Forrest Gump.[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]The end of the script reveals that Maximus [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/may/06/nick-cave-rejected-gladiator-script"]ended up working at the Pentagon[/url], which makes sense because it does sort of look like a gladiator arena. We like to imagine that even at the Pentagon he was still wearing that same miniskirt from the first movie, if only to justify the word "gladiator" in [i]Gladiator 2[/i].[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][center][img]http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/3/2/3/118323_v1.jpg[/img]
[size="1"]Alright, so maybe he puts on a tie when going to a meeting.[/size][/size][/font][/color][/center]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]Russell Crowe read this script ... and loved it. Seriously. Ridley Scott says they "tried to go with it," but the studio thought it was too over the top, for some reason. Eventually the two moved on to make [i]Robin Hood[/i], which might be more enjoyable if you pretend that Robin is actually an immortal Maximus in the 1100s.[/left][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Georgia, serif][size=3][left]Read more: [/left][/size][/font][/color][url="http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6-insane-sequels-that-almost-ruined-classic-movies_p2.html#ixzz1z7QI3SpG"]6 Insane Sequels That Almost Ruined Classic Movies | Cracked.com[/url][color=#000000][font=Georgia, serif][size=3][/size][/font][/color][url="http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6-insane-sequels-that-almost-ruined-classic-movies_p2.html#ixzz1z7QI3SpG"]http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6-insane-sequels-that-almost-ruined-classic-movies_p2.html#ixzz1z7QI3SpG[/url][/quote]

[url="http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6-insane-sequels-that-almost-ruined-classic-movies_p2.html"]http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6-insane-sequels-that-almost-ruined-classic-movies_p2.html[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1340913273' post='1137102']
does anyone else want to see this just to see what it would have been like?

[url="http://www.cracked.com/article_19751_6-insane-sequels-that-almost-ruined-classic-movies_p2.html"]http://www.cracked.c...-movies_p2.html[/url]
[/quote]

Reminds me of the story Kevin Smith told in An Evening with Kevin Smith about why the big ass spider ended up in Wild Wild West.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1340765438' post='1136851']
I saw "Ted" tonight. I did not see the trailer in advance. There are two lines in the beginning that are really funny, and then the laughs are hit and miss. Some jokes work really well, others don't. Some of the audience clapped at the end. This is not the funniest movie of the last 5 years (Hangover and Harold and Kumar 1 and 3 in my opinion are). I just wish comedy wasn't so predictable, and this one was no exception. Nonetheless, it isn't worth full price.
[/quote]

Your insane, that movie was freaking ha-larry-ous.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341059212' post='1137335']
Your insane, that movie was freaking ha-larry-ous.
[/quote]

And the "tradition" continues.....I did laugh, just not as much as the audience I saw it with did. There wasn't much of a reaction on Tuesday night at Georgetown, if that tells you anything.

It was funnier than "21 Jump Street" was which is one of the most over rated movies this year.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1341172750' post='1137451']
And the "tradition" continues.....I did laugh, just not as much as the audience I saw it with did. There wasn't much of a reaction on Tuesday night at Georgetown, if that tells you anything.

It was funnier than "21 Jump Street" was which is one of the most over rated movies this year.
[/quote]

How can you take a truly objective view to comedy? What tickles one's funny bone is one of the more personal aspects of art.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1341172750' post='1137451']

[/quote]

People were laughing in my theater

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1341182523' post='1137461']
How can you take a truly objective view to comedy? What tickles one's funny bone is one of the more personal aspects of art.
[/quote]

Inside joke w/Jamie.....

Comedy effects people in different ways. What I attempt to do is avoid the TV spots and trailers on a movie so I go into it "blind" and can keep an open mind. There were two things within the first five minutes of "Ted" that make me laugh, and then it was off and on throughout. It's like if you see a comedian at a club, some jokes work and others don't.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1341237691' post='1137529']
Inside joke w/Jamie.....

Comedy effects people in different ways. What I attempt to do is avoid the TV spots and trailers on a movie so I go into it "blind" and can keep an open mind. There were two things within the first five minutes of "Ted" that make me laugh, and then it was off and on throughout. It's like if you see a comedian at a club, some jokes work and others don't.
[/quote]

Most jokes worked, you have shitty taste is all. LOL

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1341237691' post='1137529']
Inside joke w/Jamie.....

[/quote]

"Ted" boils down to whether or not you like Seth MacFarlane. All the comedy from that movie is straight out of Family Guy, and whatever other cartoons he's putting out right now. The only difference at all is that he was allowed to swear and make more obscene sex jokes in "Ted".

Overall, I really like MacFarlane's humor...although I do feel like he tries way too hard to force popular culture jokes into it. And "Ted" wasn't any different in that regard.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1341238155' post='1137532']
"Ted" boils down to whether or not you like Seth MacFarlane. All the comedy from that movie is straight out of Family Guy, and whatever other cartoons he's putting out right now. The only difference at all is that he was allowed to swear and make more obscene sex jokes in "Ted".

Overall, I really like MacFarlane's humor...[b]although I do feel like he tries way too hard to force popular culture jokes into it.[/b] And "Ted" wasn't any different in that regard.
[/quote]

This has always been my problem with Seth,, The humor does seem forced sometimes.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1341268500' post='1137600']
This has always been my problem with Seth,, The humor does seem forced sometimes.
[/quote]

speaking of Seth's, is anyone else completely sick of Seth Rogen? I watched 50/50 last night and he was literally the only bad thing about the movie. None of his roles are at all good anymore and always the same. Reminds me of how Will Ferrell got old pretty quickly as well.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341237924' post='1137530']
Most jokes worked, you have shitty taste is all. LOL
[/quote]

Well played....

I haven't watched Family Guy in forever, but I have seen enough to get Seth MacFarlene's style of humor. The drug jokes got old in my opinion.

On another subject, saw "Savages" last night, reminded me a lot of Pulp Fiction in terms of how it was shot and the ending in my opinion was pretty funny. Very violent. The female friend I went with last night covered her face at a few of the gunshots, if that tells you anything. There is some humor sprinkled in as well. Worth a matinee viewing (comes out Friday).

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1341238155' post='1137532']

Overall, I really like MacFarlane's humor...although I do feel like he tries way too hard to force popular culture jokes into it. And "Ted" wasn't any different in that regard.
[/quote]

That's a good assessment.

As for me, I enjoyed the film. It is cynical and yet sentimental. It was hard to watch the characters making their decisions, though. Some of them are very unlikeable, including in my opinion Mark Walhberg's character Bennett. But then I rememebered it's a movie and just to enjoy the characters as the vehicle through which comedy flows.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1341322005' post='1137655']
Well played....

I haven't watched Family Guy in forever, but I have seen enough to get Seth MacFarlene's style of humor. The drug jokes got old in my opinion.

On another subject, saw "Savages" last night, reminded me a lot of Pulp Fiction in terms of how it was shot and the ending in my opinion was pretty funny. Very violent. The female friend I went with last night covered her face at a few of the gunshots, if that tells you anything. There is some humor sprinkled in as well. Worth a matinee viewing (comes out Friday).
[/quote]

Everytime I see the trailer for Savages I can't help but laugh. It looks like it takes itself way too seriously. But maybe I am mistaken in that regard.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1341268796' post='1137602']
speaking of Seth's, is anyone else completely sick of Seth Rogen? I watched 50/50 last night and he was literally the only bad thing about the movie. None of his roles are at all good anymore and always the same. Reminds me of how Will Ferrell got old pretty quickly as well.
[/quote]

How was Magic Mike? Everyone knows you already saw it! Did you dress as one of your favorite character's?

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1341331316' post='1137672']
How was Magic Mike? Everyone knows you already saw it! Did you dress as one of your favorite character's?
[/quote]

He sure did....

[img]http://i.imgur.com/N2w4C.jpg[/img]

Archived