Upcoming Movie Trailers

Bengals1181

Saw The Amazing Spiderman yesterday, and my overall impression was "Meh".

While the CGI was exceptional and The Lizard was a much better villain Defoe's over-the-top way too cartoonish Green Goblin, I found myself not giving a shit about any of the characters. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the casting and felt that most of the characters were flat and one dimensional. I found the original much more endearing. Just not a fan...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1341504496' post='1137909']

While the CGI was exceptional and The Lizard was a much better villain Defoe's over-the-top way too cartoonish Green Goblin, I found myself not giving a shit about any of the characters. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the casting and felt that most of the characters were flat and one dimensional. I found the original much more endearing. Just not a fan...
[/quote]

I had quite a different perspective. Agree on the Lizard, but I thought there was absolutely great casting. Garfield, Sheen (especially), Fields, Irfans, and Leary all give particularly strong performances. Stone was good as well, but clearly too old for the part.

I thought it was heads and shoulders better than the other 3, and I'm a fan of those.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1341504496' post='1137909']

[/quote]

I saw it as well, I dont know why but I liked Toby McGuire as Spiderman better, (and I hated the 3rd Spiderman), this guy just kind of annoyed me.

I loved the first two spiderman movies when they first came out, but I don't think they've held up over the years. Green goblin was a joke in the first.

My complaint with the new one is it felt a little too much like been there/done that. There wasn't really much new about it except for the angle with his parents. The Lizard was a good villian, but the storyline was too similar to Doc Ock. Scientist friend who goes bad but isn't really bad. It would have been more effective if it wasn't so recently done.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341507663' post='1137916']
I saw it as well, I dont know why but I liked Toby McGuire as Spiderman better, (and I hated the 3rd Spiderman), this guy just kind of annoyed me.
[/quote]

The third one definitely sucked, which is a damn shame. Venom could have been an absolute goldmine had they put any effort into him at all. He's one of my favorite villains of all time, and they went out of their way to reduce him to a bitch-sized, mindless, monster with zero depth. A movie dedicated to only Spiderman vs Venom, with a darker, action/thriller, even borderline horror, theme could have been fantastic.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1341541435' post='1137962']
The third one definitely sucked, which is a damn shame. Venom could have been an absolute goldmine had they put any effort into him at all. He's one of my favorite villains of all time, and they went out of their way to reduce him to a bitch-sized, mindless, monster with zero depth. A movie dedicated to only Spiderman vs Venom, with a darker, action/thriller, even borderline horror, theme could have been fantastic.
[/quote]

It also pissed me off that sandman was fighting him and then all of a sudden decided to stop and go home, they did nothing to develop that internal struggle.

I saw "Amazing Spider-Man" as well and wasn't that impressed. I am glad I paid $6 (AMC before noon) and not the 3-D or IMAX prices (it was shot in 3-D). There was no chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Gar-field, but Gar-field had a better Peter Parker "look" than Tobey did. I give the script writers credit for working a different type of story than the original trilogy was and some the actions scenes were OK, but this movie just didn't wow me. I also felt the jokes that Peter is supposed to have didn't work in this edition.

"Savages" on the other hand is interesting and reminded me in terms of style of "Pulp Fiction". It will be interesting to see what the box office total is for that one this weekend.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341581956' post='1137988']
It also pissed me off that sandman was fighting him and then all of a sudden decided to stop and go home, they did nothing to develop that internal struggle.
[/quote]

Yeah, that character was underdeveloped, and the final fight was pretty awful as well. They go through this big fight where Sandman endures all kinds of attacks, and he ultimately goes down over a double shot from the Goblin's little skateboard missiles? How does that make sense? If he would have thrown a whole crapload of those things at him and turned all that sand to glass, I would have been fine with it. And why didn't he, you know, lead with the missiles instead of pissing around for 10 minutes?

It's like the writers got tired of planning the fight scene and said, "eh, screw it, just throw some missiles at him and be done with it.".

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1341591027' post='1138003']
Yeah, that character was underdeveloped, and the final fight was pretty awful as well. They go through this big fight where Sandman endures all kinds of attacks, and he ultimately goes down over a double shot from the Goblin's little skateboard missiles? How does that make sense? If he would have thrown a whole crapload of those things at him and turned all that sand to glass, I would have been fine with it. And why didn't he, you know, lead with the missiles instead of pissing around for 10 minutes?

It's like the writers got tired of planning the fight scene and said, "eh, screw it, just throw some missiles at him and be done with it.".
[/quote]

The other thing, I don't really read the comics so I dont know if it was true to them, but Eddie Brock the character was just a huge doucher.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341591268' post='1138004']
The other thing, I don't really read the comics so I dont know if it was true to them, but Eddie Brock the character was just a huge doucher.
[/quote]

you mean they made the bad guy a douchebag? The horror! :lol:

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341591268' post='1138004']
[/quote]

They completely failed at both Eddie Brock and Venom. Eddie Brock was supposed to be a body builder. And that was kind of the point of Marvel creating Venom. He was a bigger and faster version of Spiderman. That didn't really come across very well in the movie. Casting Topher Grace was the first step in the wrong direction.

But the real catastrophe was just how undeveloped the Venom character was. Since Peter Parker wore the suit before Eddie Brock did, Venom actually inherited all of Peter's memories. Venom knew Peter was Spiderman, knew all his secrets, his friends, loved ones....everything. On top of that, Venom was immune to Spiderman's spider sense. He truly was Spiderman's worst nightmare, which is why I think they could make a great thriller/horror movie out of that matchup.

And my favorite part about Venom was that he wasn't actually an evil villain in the traditional sense.

He usually refused to hurt innocents and often went out on his own to fight crime. He's even teamed up with Spiderman on quite a few occasions for the better good. The only reason he's considered a bad guy is because he has a vendetta against Peter Parker and wants to throw him into a tree chipper.

And, much like the Incredible Hulk and Bruce Banner, Venom was fighting a constant battle between his humanity and the monster within. Eddie wanted to use the powers for good, but the alien suit thrived on his anger and hate. In most of the comics, Venom used to refer to himself as "We", meaning Eddie and the suit, because they really were two seperate entities, and Eddie didn't want them to become fully intertwined.

Of course, very few of these things actually made it into the movie. And instead of actually developing some of the above-described depth, they basically made him into a mindless monster who shoots webs.

* Disclaimer: I have read that some elements of Venom were based off the "Ultimate" version of him, which I've never read, but hear horrible things about.

Going in a completely different direction, the 18 year old wanted to see Brave so we saw it on Wednesday. It was very good right up to the scene where it became very predictable. Saw a preview for Monsters Inc 2 and the one scene they showed was hilarious. They had a preview for the Hobbit and it looks killer. That comes out December 14, I think.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341598410' post='1138018']
then dont add to a reasonable conversation if you had nothing constructive to add
[/quote]

my point was quite clear. The bad guy is supposed to be unlikable.

btw, it looks like you should check your definition of "doucher" as it doesn't mean what you claim (err excuse) you meant.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1341596166' post='1138011']
Going in a completely different direction, the 18 year old wanted to see Brave so we saw it on Wednesday. It was very good right up to the scene where it became very predictable. Saw a preview for Monsters Inc 2 and the one scene they showed was hilarious. They had a preview for the Hobbit and it looks killer. That comes out December 14, I think.
[/quote]

It was entertaining in a generic way but I didn't really care for it.

I was horrified by the actions of the princess and stunned that no one seemed to care. All is forgiven...not even grounded!

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1341599079' post='1138020']
It was entertaining in a generic way but I didn't really care for it.

I was horrified by the actions of the princess and stunned that no one seemed to care. All is forgiven...not even grounded!
[/quote]

how kid friendly is it? Seems not as young kid-geared as your typical animated movie.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1341598731' post='1138019']
my point was quite clear. The bad guy is supposed to be unlikable.

btw, it looks like you should check your definition of "doucher" as it doesn't mean what you claim (err excuse) you meant.
[/quote]

go away. witty and i were having a perfectably reasonable conversation and you come in Eddie Brocking the whole thing up. You have nothing to add here, (or in life in general, but that's a whole other issue) go back to your hole.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341599345' post='1138023']
go away. witty and i were having a perfectably reasonable conversation and you come in Eddie Brocking the whole thing up. You have nothing to add here, (or in life in general, but that's a whole other issue) go back to your hole.
[/quote]

lol seriously, its completely laughable that you think you have ANY room to talk regarding worthiness and value to this site.

Lighten up. It was a quite harmless joke (which had a point, which I've explained), which you're blowing WAY out of proportion.

So stop acting righteous. We both know your history here.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1341599688' post='1138024']
lol seriously, its completely laughable that you think you have ANY room to talk regarding worthiness and value to this site.

Lighten up. It was a quite harmless joke (which had a point, which I've explained), which you're blowing WAY out of proportion.

So stop acting righteous. We both know your history here.
[/quote]

blah blah blah blah blah

moving on

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1341599321' post='1138022']
how kid friendly is it? Seems not as young kid-geared as your typical animated movie.
[/quote]
My kids are 15 and 18 but we would have taken them if they were 5 and 8. The accents alone made it worth the price of admission, at least for me.

Archived