Several interesting things

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Freel having All-Star season
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

HOUSTON | Ryan Freel has never been an All-Star, at any level — not in any youth leagues, not in high school, not at Tallahassee Community College.

For example, in his first pro season at Class A St. Catherine's (1995) in the Toronto system, he led the team in sacrifice bunts and sacrifice flies. At Class A Dunedin the next season, he led the team in sacrifice bunts and steals.

Those kinds of statistics don't get you All-Star consideration, but they tell you what kind of player Freel is and has been his entire career — a player who does the little things that lead to wins.

His statistics with the Cincinnati Reds are the kind that do get All-Star consideration. He is 10th in the league in batting average, fifth in on-base percentage and fourth in stolen bases.

The problem is his unfair label, utility player, which he isn't. He plays nearly every day, but seldom at the same spot. He carries three gloves to play five positions.

A man without a position isn't All-Star fiber.

"Like Tuesday," Freel said. "I came to the park certain I would play second base. I was in right field. That's tough, a tough thing to do."

Of the All-Star thinking, Freel said, "That would be nice. I've never been an All-Star. And I didn't know I was in the Top 10 in three categories.

At least one player from each team must be on the All-Star team. Why not Freel?

A broken trade

When Ken Griffey Jr. lined a ball that broke the right wrist of Washington pitcher Zach Day a week ago, it scrapped a trade that would have brought Day to the Reds.

Two baseball executives and another knowledgeable source said the Reds, Nationals and Florida Marlins were close to a three-way deal that would have sent pitcher Danny Graves to the Marlins. The Marlins would have sent ex-Reds outfielder Juan Encarnacion to the Nationals, and Day, a Cincinnati native, would have come to the Reds.

Griffey lined a ball off Day's wrist in the sixth inning on May 23. Day threw out Griffey, the last batter he faced. Two days later, he tried to pitch and gave up five runs in relief. An MRI revealed the break.

Aurilia's plight

A radio report that Rich Aurilia or his agent, Barry Axelrod, have asked the Cincinnati Reds to trade Aurilia isn't true, but that doesn't mean it won't be true soon.

Aurilia wonders what value he has as a utility player for a fifth-place team, so Axelrod is exploring the possibility of the Reds trading the 33-year-old infielder to a contending team.

Aurilia began the season as the Reds shortstop, but lost his job to Felipe Lopez while he was injured. Manager Dave Miley has played him at third base and second base in recent games, but Aurilia realizes he won't get much playing time in that role.

"It's just tough not knowing what position you will play," he said. "But the frustrating part is not playing at all."

Dunn's future?

Want a glimpse of the possible future of Adam Dunn when he becomes a free agent in two years? If you are a Reds fan or Dunn fan, it isn't pretty.

"I think about playing for the Houston Astros," Dunn told the Houston Chronicle. "I grew up an Astros fan and keep my home here (Lake Conroe) in the offseason.

"It's hard not to think about it," he added. "I have no say in that right now, so I just have to go out and do my job. We had such high expectations for this team, but we've been taking one step forward and five steps backward."

Short hops

• Ken Griffey Jr.'s 26 RBIs in May was third most in the majors behind Chicago's Derek Lee and Philadelphia's Bobby Abreu.

• Pitcher Ben Weber's planned one-inning rehab appearance at Louisville on Wednesday was canceled at the advice of Dr. Tom Saul. The neurologist suggested Weber sit out longer as the bulging disc in his neck heals and further tests are conducted.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jun 2 2005, 02:10 AM']Freel having All-Star season
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

HOUSTON | Ryan Freel has never been an All-Star, at any level — not in any youth leagues, not in high school, not at Tallahassee Community College.

For example, in his first pro season at Class A St. Catherine's (1995) in the Toronto system, he led the team in sacrifice bunts and sacrifice flies. At Class A Dunedin the next season, he led the team in sacrifice bunts and steals.

Those kinds of statistics don't get you All-Star consideration, but they tell you what kind of player Freel is and has been his entire career — a player who does the little things that lead to wins.

His statistics with the Cincinnati Reds are the kind that do get All-Star consideration. He is 10th in the league in batting average, fifth in on-base percentage and fourth in stolen bases.

The problem is his unfair label, utility player, which he isn't. He plays nearly every day, but seldom at the same spot. He carries three gloves to play five positions.

A man without a position isn't All-Star fiber.

"Like Tuesday," Freel said. "I came to the park certain I would play second base. I was in right field. That's tough, a tough thing to do."

Of the All-Star thinking, Freel said, "That would be nice. I've never been an All-Star. And I didn't know I was in the Top 10 in three categories.

At least one player from each team must be on the All-Star team. Why not Freel?

A broken trade

[b]When Ken Griffey Jr. lined a ball that broke the right wrist of Washington pitcher Zach Day a week ago, it scrapped a trade that would have brought Day to the Reds.

Two baseball executives and another knowledgeable source said the Reds, Nationals and Florida Marlins were close to a three-way deal that would have sent pitcher Danny Graves to the Marlins. The Marlins would have sent ex-Reds outfielder Juan Encarnacion to the Nationals, and Day, a Cincinnati native, would have come to the Reds.[/b]  [size=7]DOH!!!!   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img]

Griffey lined a ball off Day's wrist in the sixth inning on May 23. Day threw out Griffey, the last batter he faced. Two days later, he tried to pitch and gave up five runs in relief. An MRI revealed the break.

Aurilia's plight

A radio report that Rich Aurilia or his agent, Barry Axelrod, have asked the Cincinnati Reds to trade Aurilia isn't true, but that doesn't mean it won't be true soon.

Aurilia wonders what value he has as a utility player for a fifth-place team, so Axelrod is exploring the possibility of the Reds trading the 33-year-old infielder to a contending team.

Aurilia began the season as the Reds shortstop, but lost his job to Felipe Lopez while he was injured. Manager Dave Miley has played him at third base and second base in recent games, but Aurilia realizes he won't get much playing time in that role.

"It's just tough not knowing what position you will play," he said. "But the frustrating part is not playing at all."

Dunn's future?

Want a glimpse of the possible future of Adam Dunn when he becomes a free agent in two years? If you are a Reds fan or Dunn fan, it isn't pretty.

[b]"I think about playing for the Houston Astros," Dunn told the Houston Chronicle. "I grew up an Astros fan and keep my home here (Lake Conroe) in the offseason.[/b] [SIZE=7]DOUBLE DOH!!!

"It's hard not to think about it," he added. "I have no say in that right now, so I just have to go out and do my job. We had such high expectations for this team, but we've been taking one step forward and five steps backward."

Short hops

• Ken Griffey Jr.'s 26 RBIs in May was third most in the majors behind Chicago's Derek Lee and Philadelphia's Bobby Abreu.

• Pitcher Ben Weber's planned one-inning rehab appearance at Louisville on Wednesday was canceled at the advice of Dr. Tom Saul. The neurologist suggested Weber sit out longer as the bulging disc in his neck heals and further tests are conducted.
[right][post="98544"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Guest bengalrick

[quote]When Ken Griffey Jr. lined a ball that broke the right wrist of Washington pitcher Zach Day a week ago, it scrapped a trade that would have brought Day to the Reds.

Two baseball executives and another knowledgeable source said the Reds, Nationals and Florida Marlins were close to a three-way deal that would have sent pitcher Danny Graves to the Marlins. The Marlins would have sent ex-Reds outfielder Juan Encarnacion to the Nationals, and Day, a Cincinnati native, would have come to the Reds.

Griffey lined a ball off Day's wrist in the sixth inning on May 23. Day threw out Griffey, the last batter he faced. Two days later, he tried to pitch and gave up five runs in relief. An MRI revealed the break.[/quote]

holy shit... i'm pissed now... <_<

Archived