Workout Routine

TheBeaverHunter

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1296007903' post='965683']
I did 5 sets on the leg press today 12X225 followed by 25 calf raises and I felt like my legs were going to fall off. I think it's going to be a slow process getting into all those leg exercises mentioned, but here in the next few weeks I should be doing them all.

On my bench press I think I've hit damn near a wall. I peaked a few weeks ago with 245 and was doing 225 twice and now I'm struggling with 225. I haven't hit the chest as hard because of a lot of school and work and I guess I have been focusing on repetitions lately as opposed to maxing out. I may have to try the new chest workout put on here. I'd like to be around 275 here in the next few months, but going backwards isn't helping.

Doing triceps, decline, and incline should goes a way towards improving the bench..correct?
[/quote]

Bench is a lift where if you don't use it, you'll lose it easily... kinda like the squat. If you don't do the bench workout mentioned, try benching twice a weak. Bench Monday with chest but only do 3-4 sets. Then on Thursday bench before you do shoulders or whatever you do on Thursday. We would goreal heavy on Mondays and rep out whatever we could 8 times or so on Thursday for about 3-4 sets. In 8 weeks, I went from really struggling with 300 to getting up 315 pretty easily (should have went for the 325 but didn't want to fail and be discouraged that day). I know it was only a 15 pound gain, but I was at a wall like you were with the 300 pounds.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1296012410' post='965695']
Decline not really. You can probably just eliminate decline and do some flies or dumbbell bench stuff. Incline will help. Strengthening your core helps. Shoulders, triceps, rotator cuffs, squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc. There is a lot you can do to get stronger on the bench.

Just make sure you work on your back just as often so you don't become unbalanced and get hurt.
[/quote]
I don't really like decline either. I did it when I first started because there was a decline bench, but now I just do cable crossovers (pull low) for the lower pecs. I don't like the way the decline is angled. I think it feels like you're putting a lot of unecessary weight on your shoulders at an ackward angle. I haven't declined benched in a long time.

While I agree with everyone about doing all these different muscle groups to help increase overall strength in every exercise, in my experience, you don't have to have a good core or even do squats/deadlifts to improve the bench. It's getting better and you can see my abs easily like always, but my core is WEAK. I haven't routinely done abs for over a year and I feel that I have an impressive bench for my size/build.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1296007903' post='965683']
I did 5 sets on the leg press today 12X225 followed by 25 calf raises and I felt like my legs were going to fall off. I think it's going to be a slow process getting into all those leg exercises mentioned, but here in the next few weeks I should be doing them all.

On my bench press I think I've hit damn near a wall. I peaked a few weeks ago with 245 and was doing 225 twice and now I'm struggling with 225. I haven't hit the chest as hard because of a lot of school and work and I guess I have been focusing on repetitions lately as opposed to maxing out. I may have to try the new chest workout put on here. I'd like to be around 275 here in the next few months, but going backwards isn't helping.

Doing triceps, decline, and incline should goes a way towards improving the bench..correct?
[/quote]

I worked out from January 2010 until July 2010 and focused on reps...I did 4x12-15 on pretty much everything. I saw minimal gains. I relied on hammer strength press, Pec Deck, cable cross-overs, and incline machine. That did nothing for me. If you want strength you have to bench and bench heavy so you push yourself..dumbbell and barbell. Pec Deck and crossovers are good for focus training. Declines I think are useless...inclines are much more useful. Tris are important to hit heavy as well. weighted dips are a must for these and go deep. This will also hit your chest. I also like dumbbell flies and presses..go deep with these and feel the stretch. Working the back is a must as well. You need a launching pad for that big bench. Go heavier with that as well. These are big muscle groups and they need to be tore down. I see dudes come in and do dumbbell rows with a 45lb dumbbell, those are the same guys I hear complaining about not gaining.

Try the workout and see what you think...it definitely won't hurt you. If you don't see any gains after 3-4 weeks then go back to your old routine.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1296050128' post='965743']
I worked out from January 2010 until July 2010 and focused on reps...I did 4x12-15 on pretty much everything. I saw minimal gains. I relied on hammer strength press, Pec Deck, cable cross-overs, and incline machine. That did nothing for me. If you want strength you have to bench and bench heavy so you push yourself..dumbbell and barbell. Pec Deck and crossovers are good for focus training. Declines I think are useless...inclines are much more useful. Tris are important to hit heavy as well. weighted dips are a must for these and go deep. This will also hit your chest. I also like dumbbell flies and presses..go deep with these and feel the stretch. Working the back is a must as well. You need a launching pad for that big bench. Go heavier with that as well. These are big muscle groups and they need to be tore down. [b]I see dudes come in and do dumbbell rows with a 45lb dumbbell, those are the same guys I hear complaining about not gaining.[/b]

Try the workout and see what you think...it definitely won't hurt you. If you don't see any gains after 3-4 weeks then go back to your old routine.
[/quote]
All too true.

Where do you guys work out at?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1296072992' post='965881']
All too true.

Where do you guys work out at?
[/quote]
I work for the Sheriff's Office so I usually go to the employee's weight room at the jail. Quiet (usually only me and friend there), cable TV, dumbbells up to 100 lbs, 2 treadmills, 4 olympic bars, 2 benches, 2 squat racks, sled, 1000+ lbs of plates, 2 pull up stations, a dip station. I love it.

Sometimes I go to the YMCA because it's closer to my house. Too crowded. Have to wait to use stuff, especially bench, because that's all 90% of the kids there do.

I don't do supplements. Protein shakes after a workout is as far as I go with it. I have no need to be able to bench 30 more lbs than I do right now. What reason is there for it? To tell someone I can bench 300lbs? I'm a school teacher, I don't need to be able to lift more than a textbook or a 4th grader. hehe!!
MULLY

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1296050128' post='965743']Declines I think are useless...inclines are much more useful.
[/quote]

If you're talking about your chest the declines will work the lower part of your tits so you don't end up with square on top and moobs on bottom.
MULLY

moobs= man boobs

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1296074556' post='965888']
I work for the Sheriff's Office so I usually go to the employee's weight room at the jail. Quiet (usually only me and friend there), cable TV, dumbbells up to 100 lbs, 2 treadmills, 4 olympic bars, 2 benches, 2 squat racks, sled, 1000+ lbs of plates, 2 pull up stations, a dip station. I love it.

Sometimes I go to the YMCA because it's closer to my house. Too crowded. Have to wait to use stuff, especially bench, because that's all 90% of the kids there do.
[/quote]

Yeah, dude... there should be a rule in there that if you can't bench your own weight, you're only granted permission to use the Smith machine. I rarely do this and I never try to bully the kids ever, but if you ask them if you can work in with them (being very nice, of course), they usually get nervous and go somewhere else cause they're there to screw off and hang out rather than work out. I only do it if there's a crap ton of them and I know the bench isn't going to be up for grabs soon.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1296092655' post='965974']
If you're talking about your chest the declines will work the lower part of your tits so you don't end up with square on top and moobs on bottom.
MULLY

moobs= man boobs
[/quote]

While that is supposed to be what it works, I find pulling cables low hit it just as good if not better and is far less stressful on your shoulders. That might just be me but I hear from a lot of people that decline isn't in the workout anymore like it use to be.

What does everyone think of military press? I was bringing the barbell behind my head for a few months and developed an ache in my elbow which still bothers me today. I drop it in front of me now and I work it on the Smith machine.

One more question... does anyone use elbow and/or knee pads/straps/supports? I see a lot of the older fellas in there with them wrapped around there for extra support I'm guessing. I thought that might help me but I don't want it to take away from working my forearms and bis/tris when I'm doing chest or back.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1296152182' post='966094']
While that is supposed to be what it works, I find pulling cables low hit it just as good if not better and is far less stressful on your shoulders. That might just be me but I hear from a lot of people that decline isn't in the workout anymore like it use to be.

What does everyone think of military press? I was bringing the barbell behind my head for a few months and developed an ache in my elbow which still bothers me today. I drop it in front of me now and I work it on the Smith machine.

One more question... does anyone use elbow and/or knee pads/straps/supports? I see a lot of the older fellas in there with them wrapped around there for extra support I'm guessing. I thought that might help me but I don't want it to take away from working my forearms and bis/tris when I'm doing chest or back.
[/quote]

Low Cables I love for my lower chest. I think you can focus and hit the muscle better with these. I rarely do decline press anymore and if I do it is dumbbell.

Growing up I always heard that behind the neck was hard as hell on your shoulders and elbows. I like the smith military press (to the front), dumbbell shoulder press. and Arnold press.

I know people with elbow issues that use the elbow wraps, they say it helps a lot. I personally only use grip straps when I lift heavy back (pull downs and rows) and traps (shrugs).

Military presses are a staple of my shoulder workout but I never do it behind the neck. Puts a ton of strain on the shoulders and my left one is already kind of jacked. I do hear that it is a more effective shoulder exercise but dangerous.

The last few weeks with the power lifting I've been doing a lot of clean and presses (fucking great workout), snatches and high pulls. Usually also throw in a couple sets of non power lifting stuff like front raises or arnold presses to really destroy them.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1296172866' post='966208']
Military presses are a staple of my shoulder workout but I never do it behind the neck. Puts a ton of strain on the shoulders and my left one is already kind of jacked. I do hear that it is a more effective shoulder exercise but dangerous.

The last few weeks with the power lifting I've been doing a lot of clean and presses (fucking great workout), snatches and high pulls. Usually also throw in a couple sets of non power lifting stuff like front raises or arnold presses to really destroy them.
[/quote]

When I was doing the Nebraska football workout, it called for tons of cleans, clean presses, deadlifts, and explosive type lifts. I can't say I got bulkier, I think I still hovered around 180+ to 185 but I became strong, quick. My biggest complaint with those lifts, it was killing my forearms. Upright rows were out of the question after a couple weeks of all those jerks and presses. Now, since I'm lowering my weight and doing more of a circuit (I hope using that word cause when I think of someone doing a circuit, I envision some skinny dude who runs all day sweating what little muscle he has out of himself) my forearms feel fine.

Also, I got a deep tissue massage the other day. Definitely something enjoyable after a few months of hard lifting.

I either workout up at WSU or the Y. Neither place have adequate space to do cleans which is a bummer. Good thing though is that I hate them.

Got a real good workout in last night. Did a lot of crossover cables and superset them in with 135X15 on the bench. Left me with a really good feeling chest today.

Really starting to work my legs and getting them conditioned to the heavy weight. Can already feel the improvements.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1296183995' post='966280']
Also, I got a deep tissue massage the other day. Definitely something enjoyable after a few months of hard lifting.
[/quote]

Haha! Dude, one time I went 6 weeks straight, 6 days a week and one day I stopped at this department store and noticed they had those massage chairs. I hopped in one to see what it was like and I ended up falling asleep in that fucker for like 45 minutes. They asked me to leave the store. Ha!! It felt fucking awesome.
MULLY

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of supplements/shakes do you guys take?

I'm currently taking Jack3d for pre-workout and I love it. My focus is unreal when I take it. The only problem is the crash about 3 hours after I take it. My buddy is trying to get me to take myofusion for protein as a after workout shake. Not sure how much I feel like I need protein as the results I have seen thus far in two months is unreal. That and I'm broke and don't really want to buy something I'm not sure will work.

My buddy is also taking super-pump 250 and he likes it a lot. I might try that eventually after I get off my next serving of Jack3d.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1296212063' post='966318']
Haha! Dude, one time I went 6 weeks straight, 6 days a week and one day I stopped at this department store and noticed they had those massage chairs. I hopped in one to see what it was like and I ended up falling asleep in that fucker for like 45 minutes. They asked me to leave the store. Ha!! It felt fucking awesome.
MULLY
[/quote]

Are there Brookstone stores in Japan? Hop into one of those things... it's wonderful

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1297179669' post='969079']
What kind of supplements/shakes do you guys take?

I'm currently taking Jack3d for pre-workout and I love it. My focus is unreal when I take it. The only problem is the crash about 3 hours after I take it. My buddy is trying to get me to take myofusion for protein as a after workout shake. Not sure how much I feel like I need protein as the results I have seen thus far in two months is unreal. That and I'm broke and don't really want to buy something I'm not sure will work.

My buddy is also taking super-pump 250 and he likes it a lot. I might try that eventually after I get off my next serving of Jack3d.
[/quote]
Listen to this crap...

I just got done taking a couple weeks worth of injectable Deca-Durabolin. It's some good shit. Anyway, after the third shot I developed a rash down my right shoulder and left shoulder and tricep. I decided to stop taking my stuff because it was obvious I was having an allergic reaction. Ends up being the stuff is peanut oil based... and guess who's allergics to nuts??? Yeah - what a learning experience. Coolest thing about the experience, my left arm was a little swollen from the reaction so it was already a little bigger, but I went in and did bis and tris anyway, and the thing had to have been 20 inches round. It was crazy looking. I looked like a body builder. That following Monday (last Monday) I did chest and lifted for the first time yesterday since then. The itching and swelling got so bad I had to go to the doctor. He fixed me up though. Whatever he gave me made me pass out last Tuesday (Prednisone + something else, I forget) but it cleared it up. Yesterday was a wonderful feeling to lift again and I only lost 3 pounds from a whole week off lifting and a whole week off a strict diet.

Outside of that I just started on creatine again but have stopped after a couple weeks because of the rash as well as the passing out. I'm still a little messed up so I am gonna' wait on the creatine a couple more weeks.

Jack3d is caffeine loaded I believe. I took it before a flag football game last fall. It is some good stuff. I was a monster the first half. I don't know how effective it is after you develop a tolerance though... how long have you been taking it? It sure worked for me for about a half hour/forty five minutes. I crashed, but I think it was from getting the hell knocked out of me instead of the Jack wearing off.

Optimum Nutrition protein. It's the best bang for your buck. They've been around for YEARS, it mixes equally well with milk or water, it tastes better than Weider (sp.) and 5-6 Star (whatever that crap is called), and it's fairly priced. It also has BCAAs in it I believe.

It doesn't taste as good as Muscle Milk (what does?), but it has less fat and costs less. It's #1 in my book.

Also, they offer 10 pounds bags, which looks cool when people come over.

My workout = kicking and punching people.

Putting up 400lbs on the bench is cool but successfully evading a knife attack, subduing then disarming the attacker is a high thats hard to put a value on. Admittedly though I am trying to get back it the gym these days on top of fighting. Always searching for that elusive beach body.

Random question, anyone else have cramping problems working abs? For about a decade now I can't do more than about 30 sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts or anything that involves contracting the abdominals without keeling over with one of my abs in complete spasm. After it happens I'm borderline immobile for roughly a day. Usually it will happen after I've completed the set and I'm just walking around and bend over to pick something up then suddenly they lock up. I've read about potassium deficiencies causing constant muscle cramps but increasing my K intake never seemed to solve the problem. I've tried weeks of steadily increasing the number of exercises per set and it never seems to matter.

Either way I've been doing a lot of isometric ab work and I feel like I've been able to get a much better workout plus they haven't cramped up yet...though it still feels like it might every time.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1297189221' post='969108']
My workout = kicking and punching people.

Putting up 400lbs on the bench is cool but successfully evading a knife attack, subduing then disarming the attacker is a high thats hard to put a value on. Admittedly though I am trying to get back it the gym these days on top of fighting. Always searching for that elusive beach body.

Random question, anyone else have cramping problems working abs? For about a decade now I can't do more than about 30 sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts or anything that involves contracting the abdominals without keeling over with one of my abs in complete spasm. After it happens I'm borderline immobile for roughly a day. Usually it will happen after I've completed the set and I'm just walking around and bend over to pick something up then suddenly they lock up. I've read about potassium deficiencies causing constant muscle cramps but increasing my K intake never seemed to solve the problem. I've tried weeks of steadily increasing the number of exercises per set and it never seems to matter.

Either way I've been doing a lot of isometric ab work and I feel like I've been able to get a much better workout plus they haven't cramped up yet...though it still feels like it might every time.
[/quote]

You fight for sport or do you just go around starting trouble? Sounded weird with the knife deal...

Been working on a new workout routine for March and I think I got it down.

[u][b]Day 1 (Heavy deadlift day and back)[/b][/u]
Deadlift - 5 sets ending with 1 rep max
Benchpress - 3 sets ending at 80% of 1 RM
Hack squat - 3 sets ending at 80% of 1 RM
Barbell rows - 3 sets ending with 1 RM

[u][b]Day 2 (Heavy chest day and triceps)[/b][/u]
Benchpress - 5 sets ending with 1 RM
Squat - 3 sets ending with 80% of 1 RM
Good mornings - 3 sets ending with 80% of 1 RM
Close grip bench - 3 sets ending with 1 RM

[u][b]Day 3 (Heavy squat day and shoulders)[/b][/u]
Squats - 5 sets ending with 1 RM
Deadlift - 3 sets ending with 80% of 1 RM
Dumbbell bench - 3 sets ending with 80% 1 RM
Clean and press - 3 sets ending with 1 RM

Obviously I'm doing some form of bench, squat and deadlift every workout, which I'm excited about. I'm going to mix up what lifts I do but I am going to stick with doing the standard squat, bench and deadlift twice a week. Also going to start and end every workout like I do now with a circuit of pushups, pullups, dips, supine rows and handstand pushups.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1297192893' post='969120']
I haven't read on it but it looks like creatine + NOXPLODE.
[/quote]
Pretty much exactly what it is

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1297186468' post='969095']
Jack3d is caffeine loaded I believe. I took it before a flag football game last fall. It is some good stuff. I was a monster the first half. I don't know how effective it is after you develop a tolerance though... how long have you been taking it? It sure worked for me for about a half hour/forty five minutes. I crashed, but I think it was from getting the hell knocked out of me instead of the Jack wearing off.
[/quote]
Yeah, my tolerence for it has gone up, but i've only been taking it for a month and a half. I just got my second batch of it yesterday so I'll see how this second batch goes. I still have extreme focus for about two and a half hours.

Akili, is M5 a pre-workout mix?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1297192831' post='969119']
You fight for sport or do you just go around starting trouble? Sounded weird with the knife deal...
[/quote]

Neither.

[url="http://www.israelikrav.com/"]Krav Maga[/url]

Its not sport. Most of the members are some form of law enforcement or military. Great workout and real deal close combat training. Part of their curriculum involves multiple types of weapon disarming.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1297186468' post='969095']
Are there Brookstone stores in Japan? Hop into one of those things... it's wonderful

Listen to this crap...

I just got done taking a couple weeks worth of injectable Deca-Durabolin. It's some good shit. Anyway, after the third shot I developed a rash down my right shoulder and left shoulder and tricep. I decided to stop taking my stuff because it was obvious I was having an allergic reaction. Ends up being the stuff is peanut oil based... and guess who's allergics to nuts??? Yeah - what a learning experience. Coolest thing about the experience, my left arm was a little swollen from the reaction so it was already a little bigger, but I went in and did bis and tris anyway, and the thing had to have been 20 inches round. It was crazy looking. I looked like a body builder. That following Monday (last Monday) I did chest and lifted for the first time yesterday since then. The itching and swelling got so bad I had to go to the doctor. He fixed me up though. Whatever he gave me made me pass out last Tuesday (Prednisone + something else, I forget) but it cleared it up. Yesterday was a wonderful feeling to lift again and I only lost 3 pounds from a whole week off lifting and a whole week off a strict diet.

Outside of that I just started on creatine again but have stopped after a couple weeks because of the rash as well as the passing out. I'm still a little messed up so I am gonna' wait on the creatine a couple more weeks.

[/quote]

Damn dude. I have never heard of deca being peanut oil based. The thing that scares me about Deca is that it is the most counterfeited out there...as long as you trust your guy, then it's all good. Deca is great for what it does.

I took Jack3d and it was all right. I am on 1.M.R now and it is ok as well, gives me a pretty good pump..I still haven't found something I am in love with. Also tried NO Shotgun V2 and wasn't that big of a fan. Still looking for a good preworkout.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1297260920' post='969246']
Damn dude. I have never heard of deca being peanut oil based. The thing that scares me about Deca is that it is the most counterfeited out there...as long as you trust your guy, then it's all good. Deca is great for what it does.

I took Jack3d and it was all right. I am on 1.M.R now and it is ok as well, gives me a pretty good pump..I still haven't found something I am in love with. Also tried NO Shotgun V2 and wasn't that big of a fan. Still looking for a good preworkout.
[/quote]
Peanut oil and something else... some sort of oil I never heard of - it's either made with one or the other. Now, there could be something in the deca that I'm allergic to but seeing that I have had an allergy to nuts my entire life, I'm guessing it was the peanut oil. I saved some before and after pictures of my friend on a straight deca cycle. No PCT, no stacking, nothing - risky, but it paid off. He went from a chubby mid 20's normal guy to a fitness model look-a-like. He's 6'3" and has a thin, lanky build so it REALLY showed nicely on him. He's on his second cycle now (started it with me, it was my first) and told me he put up 225 seven times... the dude NEVER benched 225 in his life before the deca. I've known him since we were 10 and he's never, ever had this kind of a muscular build before. I'm happy for the guy - finally got what he wanted.

I haven't taken a preworkout supplement in quite some time. I try to stay way from caffeine and everything is loaded with it these days.

Archived