Suckers with North facing houses in Denver...

GoBengals

when i moved, a buncha people here kept asking if my house was south facing, and my sister kept mentioning it when facing open builds for me before i came out.... i just kinda went through the motions not really knowing WTF anyone was talking about or why anyone cared, i assumed it had something to do with be able to seethe rockies or something, which it doesnt...

below is a photo from my porch while i was waiting for my sons school bus to arrive at the corner, you can see in the forground my yard and driveway is completely cleared and dry... and most of you may have assumed, by how lazy i am, that shoveling isnt something im going to do... almost ever... a few times i shoveled tracks for my wife t pull into the garage before we got her new tires, and occasionally my walkway, but not this last snow, we got about 8-9 inches of snow over 5 days...

so my house, which is south facing, is completely cleared and dry, even hte grass area, driveway, everything, i was sitting outside in pants and a t shirt as well mind you, it was mid 50's and sunny, which is like 65 ohio feeling...

and you can see the stone cold suckers yard and driveway accross the street, they DO shovel their driveway, quite often, the snow blows back over it, etc.. and the shit NEVER melts..

no as a result, my BACKYARD looks like their front yard, but its clear which is the obvious advantage...

figured i would share, it seems crazy to me, such a difference simply crossing the street, just because the sun hits my front yard from like 6am until 5pm, and only hits theirs from about 4pm to 6pm.. and the sun makes like a 25 degree difference while you're standing there..

[attachment=834:Parker-20110215-00042.jpg]

That's interesting, and certainly not something I would have thought of as a new home buyer in a strange new place. Glad you either listened to your sister and others or lucked out. The Sun does make a huge difference...even when its still below freezing temperatures.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1297820011' post='970773']
That's interesting, and certainly not something I would have thought of as a new home buyer in a strange new place. Glad you either listened to your sister and others or lucked out. The Sun does make a huge difference...even when its still below freezing temperatures.
[/quote]

Yeah, we learned the hard way not to have the main living space of your house face the south\southeast. Constant sun from dawn to dusk and you [b]burn[/b]...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1297820273' post='970776']
Yeah, we learned the hard way not to have the main living space of your house face the south\southeast. Constant sun from dawn to dusk and you [b]burn[/b]...
[/quote]

My house is pretty unconventional. Its classified as a one bedroom ranch for the purposes of property taxes (which is good) but I have a mostly finished basement and the kid's two bedrooms are down there, so its really a three bedroom house. The basement is a walkout though, which has led to issues with the teenaged stepdaughter easily being ably to sneak out at night...

As far as temperatures go, the basement is always cold no matter what I do. Its a great retreat in the Summer months, but it sucks in the winter. The basement is almost totally underground and the foundation walls are way thicker than normal at 19" (the house was built by a guy that owned his own construction company, so he oversized everything, including insulation, the PVC pipes, the walls, etc) so its a fucking bunker down there. The storage room, which is big and also a work room, is a concrete pillbox, concrete floors, foundation walls and ceiling. That's our "tornado room".

When we had the wind storm in 2007 (the Titans game) I had neighbors all over the place having strips of their vinyl siding blown off. This place has cedar siding, which is much stronger and serves to further insulate the house. The only issue with that siding is that it needs to be treated every three years or so. It got treated in 2007 the year we bought it, and guess what I have to do this year? My electric bills throughout the year except in winter are pretty cheap. Its easier to cool this place than to heat it. Even so, with the frigid winter we've had, my highest bill with the heat pump running constantly was $260 at 69 degrees.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1297820273' post='970776']
[/quote]

we do not have A/C currently, made it from may to now without it.. we MAY get it this summer, we may not..

but we absolutely had to add that film to the stairway windows, those 3 window s would BAKE the whole half of the house which in turn baked the rest... after the film ,HUGE difference.. it would be 81 inside,(which is equivilant to 72 ohio temp for ohioans).. i think you actually recomended using it when i asked... but yea that stuff was GREAT..

A/C is about $2400 for EVERYTHING slab poured everything hooked up ,etc.etc.etc.. so tax returns will likely determine whether we go for it or not..

and my dad building his house.. if he is gonna have his shit outta my basement byjune/july, we may skip A/C again and go with finished basement.. which kinda eliminates the A/C need even more, for the same reasons bunghole presents with his basement.. itll be nice and cool down there..

the weather in the desert is like xmas morning every day...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1297822706' post='970788']
we do not have A/C currently, made it from may to now without it.. we MAY get it this summer, we may not..

but we absolutely had to add that film to the stairway windows, those 3 window s would BAKE the whole half of the house which in turn baked the rest... after the film ,HUGE difference.. it would be 81 inside,(which is equivilant to 72 ohio temp for ohioans).. [b]i think you actually recomended using it when i asked... but yea that stuff was GREAT..[/b]

A/C is about $2400 for EVERYTHING slab poured everything hooked up ,etc.etc.etc.. so tax returns will likely determine whether we go for it or not..

and my dad building his house.. if he is gonna have his shit outta my basement byjune/july, we may skip A/C again and go with finished basement.. which kinda eliminates the A/C need even more, for the same reasons bunghole presents with his basement.. itll be nice and cool down there..

the weather in the desert is like xmas morning every day...
[/quote]

Indeed, and I'm glad it worked for you. It made a difference of nearly 20 degrees in our house during certain days of the year and dropped our AC bill by about $100 per month after we put it in. Great stuff...

[quote name='whodey9to85tdtd' timestamp='1297901314' post='971027']
I was in co last summer (just outside of Denver) people were talking how crazy the winter is.. a ton of snow and melted by noon. I absolutely loved it there, hoping one day I will get to move there sometime
[/quote]
Man, are you ever going to have to change your username.

[quote name='whodey9to85tdtd' timestamp='1297901314' post='971027']
I was in co last summer (just outside of Denver) people were talking how crazy the winter is.. a ton of snow and melted by noon. I absolutely loved it there, hoping one day I will get to move there sometime
[/quote]

yea, thats pretty much it exactly.. 9 inches of snow, nothing closes except some schools, roads are clear soon after.. and they dont use salt much here, they spray the road before hand to help prevent ice and then its some sort of dirt/rock mix they put down, sun heats it up, melts everything..

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1297867513' post='970870']
Indeed, and I'm glad it worked for you. It made a difference of nearly 20 degrees in our house during certain days of the year and dropped our AC bill by about $100 per month after we put it in. Great stuff...
[/quote]

What film are you talking about?

My house faces west with no tree cover in the summer and the house bakes....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1297948978' post='971104']
What film are you talking about?

My house faces west with no tree cover in the summer and the house bakes....
[/quote]

It's called ceramic film (http://www.heatshieldwindowfilms.com/). If you're in the west or southwest there's tons of places that offer it. Best money we ever spent from a home improvement standpoint...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1297904949' post='971059']
I still miss 7 PM prime time though...
[/quote]

that would be cool, 6-6:30pm MNF and SNF is ok... its nice that the early games are over by 5pm, can still accomplish something for the day after its all over..

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1298076025' post='971582']
No different than Tennessee. Sucker that lives across the street from me with his north facing, upwards driveway normally has snow a week after we have dried out.. Each north facing house on my road has it's own special "frozen spot" in the street in front..
[/quote]

You Tennessean fuckers know nothing of snow, so stop pretending. You've cleared your millennial inch of snow with that white geetar I've been lusting after and demanding you send to me pronto before, haven't you?

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1298081320' post='971598']
You Tennessean fuckers know nothing of snow, so stop pretending. You've cleared your millennial inch of snow with that white geetar I've been lusting after and demanding you send to me pronto before, haven't you?
[/quote]

Ha, this winter in TN was very much the Ohio winters of my childhood except in TN the local civic responses to winter weather are woefully inept. I think there's one salt truck for the entire region. Two inches of snow = total lockdown and an endless array of drivers who are ill-prepared to deal with slippery roads. And for what it's worth I've never seen as much black ice as I do in the south - which I spose is related to recurring melting point during daytime stretches.
And I haven't sent the guitar yet..

Western PA has some interesting weather stuff too. The town we live in is literally on a mountain top so when the surrounding areas get snow we tend to get 3-4 inches more. There have been times that we would get 4 inches and a mile away there is no new snow at all. In the summer time we get the lions share of the rain too. We had a severe storm last summer and it seemed like the clouds were low enough to reach up and touch. It was a little spooky.

As far as shoveling, we don't do that. That is just one of the joys of owning a condo instead of a house.

[quote name='John~Galt' timestamp='1298565824' post='972596']
Western PA has some interesting weather stuff too. The town we live in is literally on a mountain top so when the surrounding areas get snow we tend to get 3-4 inches more. There have been times that we would get 4 inches and a mile away there is no new snow at all. In the summer time we get the lions share of the rain too. We had a severe storm last summer and it seemed like the clouds were low enough to reach up and touch. It was a little spooky.

As far as shoveling, we don't do that. [b]That is just one of the joys of owning a condo instead of a house.[/b]
[/quote]

Damn straight.

On top of no lawn work, painting, etc...

Archived