Dropbox

mongo

Anyone not have a dropbox account yet (2GB accounts are free)? If not, click the
orange box logo in my sig and sign up. I need more space (I get 250MB of extra
space for each person who signs up through that link. Each person who signs
up through that link gets 250MB of extra space for the referral too).

If you've never used or heard of it, it's way cool. Sign up, install the dropbox app
all of your computers (Mac, Windows, Linux, Phone, iPad, etc...), and start putting
files in your dropbox folder. Those files get synced to online storage as well as
any of your computers you've installed dropbox to. Share a folder of stuff from your
dropbox with other dropbox members to collaborate. Files in your dropbox also
get a link that can be sent to people so they can download said file.

I'm pushing the edge of my space, but don't quite want to upgrade to a paid,
50GB account. Sign up and give me more space! You don't even have to use it
(but it's a godsend)! :D

Here's a demo video (it's an old video. they're no longer in private beta):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmCUDHpNzE[/media]

[url="http://db.tt/wNu79IV"][img]http://img.skitch.com/20110222-f4tperg96fprqjrqbgqe4tftrp.png[/img][/url]

(Sorry for the whoring. I just need more space before this collaborative file exceeds 2 gigs)

You dude's rule!

I have no idea on the software install part. I'll have to find out.

You may want to try the service out though. It's also how I send large groups of
photos and stuff to friends and family, and has pretty much replaced any need for
me to ever use a thumb drive again.

...Looks like you have to install the software, but can uninstall as soon as you do.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1298386083' post='972081']
You dude's rule!

I have no idea on the software install part. I'll have to find out.

You may want to try the service out though. It's also how I send large groups of
photos and stuff to friends and family, and has pretty much replaced any need for
me to ever use a thumb drive again.

...Looks like you have to install the software, but can uninstall as soon as you do.
[/quote]

I will install when I get home from work... It actually sounds like something I might want to use too....

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1298606775' post='972766']
what kind of security is there? storing files on the internet doesn't sound like the safest thing in the world.
[/quote]

I use dropbox for sharing files/photos, so security isn't such a big concern. There is a public folder and you can create non-public folders. It looks like the non-public stuff is encrypted, but as with anything like this, you'll have to trust the provider to not pull any shenanigans.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1298606775' post='972766']
what kind of security is there? storing files on the internet doesn't sound like the safest thing in the world.
[/quote]

From their site:

[quote]Dropbox uses modern encryption methods to both transfer and store your data.

Shared folders are viewable only by people you invite
All transmission of file data and metadata occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL).
All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256) and are inaccessible without your account password
Dropbox website and client software have been hardened against attacks from hackers
Online access to your files requires your username and password
Public files are only viewable by people who have a link to the file(s). Public folders are not browsable or searchable
Dropbox employees aren't able to access user files, and when troubleshooting an account they only have access to file metadata (filenames, file sizes, etc., not the file contents)
Dropbox uses Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3) for storage, which has a robust security policy of its own. You can find more information on Amazon's data security from the S3 site or, read more about how Dropbox and Amazon securely stores data.
[/quote]

The online storage is great, but one of the really great features is the automatic syncing of information between the computers you've set up with Dropbox. Depending on my current project, I'm not always doing all of my work from a single computer. As such, I keep my files in a Dropbox folder. I can then work on them from my laptop or desktop, and have any saved changes sync immediately between those computers (as long as they're turned on. Otherwise, they sync when you turn it on). When a coworker or client needs what I'm working on, I can send them a link to the file(s) without spending hours uploading (big files for me...). Shared folders allow specific folders to be shared between Dropbox accounts. That way, a coworker on a project can add their work to my file and I can do the same to theirs... It's also nice to throw movies into my Dropbox to sync them to other computers.

Recovering deleted file versions is something I hope I don't ever have to use, but is way cool.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1298386083' post='972081']

[/quote]

Alright, I'll install when I go back to work on Monday.

It sounds nice and all, but if I have pictures I want to share I just post them on facebook (yeah, even the old relatives are on there now), and I have no reason to load things to it from work, so I can download them at home, because I am getting a kickass work laptop here in a couple of weeks.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1298987707' post='973870']
+rep to flu and own! Thanks a million guys. I really appreciate it!
[/quote]

I have it already and def a +1 from me. My USB drive officially has become a relic of the past and can be put away to show the grandkids the way we "used" to do it. Or just collect dust!

Mongo, one quick tip, if you go back into your account settings and associate a .edu email address with it, you'll get more space per referral like double. If you don't have a .edu address, google how to get one, it's free and easy.

2nd thing, not sure if there scavenger hunt is going still, but they were offering like 2 gb more for free.

Last thing, Dropbox is amazing. For those not as familiar or getting started see lifehacker.com or google "site:lifehacker.com dropbox"
"

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' timestamp='1299045023' post='974260']
Mongo, one quick tip, if you go back into your account settings and associate a .edu email address with it, you'll get more space per referral like double. If you don't have a .edu address, google how to get one, it's free and easy.

2nd thing, not sure if there scavenger hunt is going still, but they were offering like 2 gb more for free.

Last thing, Dropbox is amazing. For those not as familiar or getting started see lifehacker.com or google "site:lifehacker.com dropbox"
"
[/quote]

Oh wow! I'll change the email to my old UC address ASAP. I'll also check into the scavenger hunt.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1299170628' post='974732']
FYI, I finally got around to installing it. I'll keep it installed, and see how I like it.
[/quote]

WOOT!

I must say, this is very nice...great for sharing photos between computers without having to be on the same network.

I assume it also works for music, so I could throw 1.5gb of music in the folder and have plenty to listen to while at work?

I know you thanked me Mongo, but now I feel that I must thank you.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1299273998' post='975170']
I must say, this is very nice...great for sharing photos between computers without having to be on the same network.

I assume it also works for music, so I could throw 1.5gb of music in the folder and have plenty to listen to while at work?

I know you thanked me Mongo, but now I feel that I must thank you.
[/quote]

It really is badass, isn't it?

Now you need to pimp that personalized signup link from your account to all of your coworkers and friends to beef up your space limits. Throw a Bengals game or two in that folder to make the work day go by quicker (I still like that 2004 Ravens comeback game)... Or you could still send out mine. :P

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1299273998' post='975170']

[size="3"][b]I know you thanked me Mongo, but now I feel that I must thank you.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

same here... big props Mongo....

I work with CAD mostly solid modeling and have always used flash drive for my projects in between work and home...this is much better..
I don't have to worry about losing it or forgetting it at work/home....

Archived