Why isn't Wall St. in jail?

Jamie_B

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1299528329' post='975566']
The problem is things got so big that if you let the whole thing fail it effects so many other business its not funny.

This is why Glass-Stegal was so important, dont let investment and community banks be the same bank. If the investors fail it may hurt somewhat, but when they are using our money to cover the balance sheets of the bad investments going down....

We should NEVER allow to big to fail in the first place.

And that is still a risk... which is why this wall st reform that happened hasnt fixed the main heart of the issue.

But when you say this stuff needs more regulation, you get labeled a communist.
[/quote]

Yeah that was important, who ever erased that was a d-bag.

And about the whole too big to fail... that was only a theory. I would liked to see what would have happened. That would have been cool.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1299533119' post='975582']
Yeah that was important, who ever erased that was a d-bag.

And about the whole too big to fail... that was only a theory. I would liked to see what would have happened. That would have been cool.
[/quote]

It probably would have been best for the country. It would have forced real change rather than dropping the bailout to preserve the status quo.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1299595159' post='975705']
It probably would have been best for the country. It would have forced real change rather than dropping the bailout to preserve the status quo.
[/quote]

Which is exactly the reason they weren't allowed to fail. Those in power (both Dems and Repubs) are getting rich as hell off the system as it is. No way either let real change happen to change the status quo.

The more I see and hear, the more I believe its going to take an uprising by the group formerly referred to as "the middle class" to get any real change.

[quote name='Jim Finklestein' timestamp='1299596673' post='975712']
Which is exactly the reason they weren't allowed to fail. Those in power (both Dems and Repubs) are getting rich as hell off the system as it is. No way either let real change happen to change the status quo.

The more I see and hear, the more I believe its going to take an uprising by the group formerly referred to as "the middle class" to get any real change.
[/quote]

And again, that will never happen, they (we) had a chance to make a change during the last round of congressional elections and failed to do so. What makes you think we can muster any sort of real uprising?

No one actually wants an uprising. An uprising would mean personal sacrifice.

It is easy to talk up sitting at starbucks drinking a venti latte browsing go-bengals on your ipad though.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1299599305' post='975719']
And again, that will never happen, they (we) had a chance to make a change during the last round of congressional elections and failed to do so. What makes you think we can muster any sort of real uprising?
[/quote]

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1299599585' post='975722']
No one actually wants an uprising. An uprising would mean personal sacrifice.

It is easy to talk up sitting at starbucks drinking a venti latte browsing go-bengals on your ipad though.
[/quote]

How do you know? Jim Finkelstein actually said the word uprising, so more likely than not, he probably meant that.

Plus I did my part. I voted for not Harry Asshole Reid.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1299600044' post='975725']
How do you know? Jim Finkelstein actually said the word uprising, so more likely than not, he probably meant that.

Plus I did my part. I voted for not Harry Asshole Reid.
[/quote]

I think uprising is a valid word to use. The increasingly angry rhetoric between the haves and have nots is only going to get worse. If a person is able to sit at Starbucks and sip on a $5 venti half-caff, they probably aren't there yet. It's the ones that can't afford to sit at Starbucks that will be the catalyst. More and more pressure is being put on the so-called "middle class". In Florida, teachers are being asked to take a $2500 pay cut while corporations and property owners are given tax cuts. In my experience, the avg American is willing to take cuts here and there, IF everyone is taking cuts. But you take an American's shit away and give it to the rich, heads will start to roll.

By no means am I calling for an armed insurrection. Personally, I hope they figure a way to turn things around. I am just saying that the way things seem to be going, heads will roll, sooner rather than later. Whether that be through arms or political action, I have no idea. More and more Americans are becoming disenfranchised with the status quo in politics and the economic climate. Gas prices are going way up, corporations are making record profits, meanwhile Real Unemployment rates are up to as much as 15%.

Bottom line, somehow real jobs better be created real soon.

[quote name='Jim Finklestein' timestamp='1299604759' post='975746']
I think uprising is a valid word to use. The increasingly angry rhetoric between the haves and have nots is only going to get worse. If a person is able to sit at Starbucks and sip on a $5 venti half-caff, they probably aren't there yet. It's the ones that can't afford to sit at Starbucks that will be the catalyst. More and more pressure is being put on the so-called "middle class". In Florida, teachers are being asked to take a $2500 pay cut while corporations and property owners are given tax cuts. In my experience, the avg American is willing to take cuts here and there, IF everyone is taking cuts. But you take an American's shit away and give it to the rich, heads will start to roll.

By no means am I calling for an armed insurrection. Personally, I hope they figure a way to turn things around. I am just saying that the way things seem to be going, heads will roll, sooner rather than later. Whether that be through arms or political action, I have no idea. More and more Americans are becoming disenfranchised with the status quo in politics and the economic climate. Gas prices are going way up, corporations are making record profits, meanwhile Real Unemployment rates are up to as much as 15%.

Bottom line, somehow real jobs better be created real soon.
[/quote]

Dont forget less and less benifits too.

I like you dont want armed insurrection, im not sure if its avoidable.

It all adds up to a civil war at worst, or someone who is gotten desperate enough to do something bad to one of the "haves"

They haves better wake up to this or its going to get real ugly.

• 4 years later...

Archived