Tressel knew players were selling memorabilia

BigDawgBengal

[quote]Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was informed that several Buckeyes players were selling memorabilia more than eight months before the school claims it was made aware of the scheme, a two-month Yahoo! Sports investigation has found.

Tressel received information that players were selling items to Edward Rife – the owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus – as early as April 2010, according to a source. However, neither Ohio State nor the NCAA investigated the transactions or the players' relationship with Rife until December 2010, when the school claims it was informed of the situation by the local United States Attorney's office.

Ohio State director of compliance Doug Archie declined immediate comment when reached Monday by Yahoo! Sports. Tressel and athletic director Gene Smith were unavailable for comment. The NCAA declined comment.

A federal probe into Rife revealed he was in possession of multiple pieces of Buckeyes football memorabilia that previously belonged to five players: quarterback Terrelle Pryor, running back Dan Herron, wideout DeVier Posey, defensive end Solomon Thomas and offensive lineman Mike Adams. Federal officers contacted the school Dec. 7 to determine if the goods were stolen or instead sold by the players for cash, as Rife claimed.

According to a source, a concerned party reached out to Tressel last April, alerting the coach that memorabilia transactions had taken place between Rife and a handful of Buckeyes players, including Pryor. The selling of items violates NCAA eligibility rules. The source said Tressel was troubled by the information, and the coach indicated that he would investigate the matter and take appropriate action.

Whether the coach initiated an investigation of the accusation is unclear, but all five players remained on the field in the coming months, playing out the 2010 regular season.

After Ohio State alerted the NCAA of the memorabilia sales in early December, the NCAA's student-athlete reinstatement staff ruled the players were banned from the first five regular-season games of 2011. The players also had to repay the improper benefits gained – $2,500 for Pryor, $1,505 for Thomas, $1,250 for Posey, $1,150 for Herron and $1,000 for Adams. Linebacker Jordan Whiting also had to pay $150 to a charity for receiving a discounted tattoo.

But in a controversial part of the decision – which included lobbying by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, according to Smith – the NCAA's reinstatement staff ruled in late December that the five players were eligible for the 2011 Sugar Bowl game against Arkansas.

At a Dec. 23 press conference, Smith claimed the school first became aware of the memorabilia sales on Dec. 7. Smith said the athletic department was told the following day and immediately launched an investigation.

If Tressel failed to inform Smith or the Ohio State compliance department about the players' dealings with Rife, he could be charged with multiple NCAA violations including unethical conduct, failure to monitor and a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. In general, a coach is required to act on, or pass along reasonable information about possible rule violations for further investigation.

Section 4.1(d) of Tressel's contract with Ohio State stipulates that he "supervise and take appropriate steps to ensure … members of the Team know, recognize and comply with any such laws, University Rules and Governing Athletic Rules and immediately report to the (Athletic) Director and to the (Athletic) Department's Office of Compliance Services in writing if any person or entity, including without limitation, representatives of Ohio State's athletic interests, has violated or is likely to violate any such laws, University Rules and Governing Athletic Rules."

Section 5.1 (m) of his contract also states that failure to promptly report "any violations" could lead to "termination by Ohio State for cause."

Ohio State itself could be cited with playing ineligible players and forced to vacate its 2010 season, when it won a share of the Big Ten championship and finished 12-1. It could also face further sanctions for major infractions.

Smith was adamant at the Dec. 23 news conference that no one at Ohio State knew of the situation until the U.S. Attorney contacted them in early December.

"The athletic department was informed on Dec. 8," Smith said.

At the Dec. 23 news conference, Smith made a point of running through the timeline of the case and thanking federal authorities for bringing the information to the university so it could act. He detailed each step of the 10-day investigation and subsequent dealings with the NCAA and Big Ten office, right up to being told of suspensions by the NCAA on the afternoon of Dec. 22.

Tressel neither corrected Smith nor publicly expressed any prior knowledge of the case. He intimated he had found out about the memorabilia sales recently saying he needed time to recover from the disappointment. "I'm trying to let the holidays temper me down so I'll be more jolly on the 26th," Tressel said.

Tressel expressed disappointment with the players after the suspensions were announced, stating that while Ohio State should've done a better job explaining the rules on memorabilia sales, the players' probably knew they were doing something wrong.

"I think we all have a little sensor within us, 'Well, I'm not sure if I should be doing this,'" Tressel said. "And then sometimes it gets overridden by what you think your necessity is. …"

"There's a gut-wrenching feeling when you lose a game and you know you could've done better," he continued later. "And then there's one that goes beyond when you don't feel as if you did what you should do as people. So whatever the next step of gut-wrenching is, that's the way you feel. And we feel a responsibility for our kids on and off the field. Obviously, it's painful."

Tressel also suggested that the responsibility of rules compliance ultimately falls on the coaching staff.

"I think ultimately we as coaches feel as if the buck stops here – that we're the ones that need to make things even more crystal clear than when a compliance officer might spend time with our team or an outside speaker or whatever it happens to be," he said. "The bottom line is that we feel as if that's our responsibility, so obviously we don't feel good about the fact that we fell short."

According to the Ohio State investigation, the five players sold multiple items to Rife, who displayed some of the memorabilia on his Facebook page. Among the pieces sold were Pryor's 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award, Herron's jersey, multiple Big Ten championship rings and multiple golden pants pendants awarded to the players for victories over the University of Michigan. Pryor, Posey, Herron, Thomas and Whiting were also cited for receiving discounted tattoos from Rife.

The Columbus Dispatch reported on Jan. 2 that Pryor had been "stopped for traffic violations on three separate occasions while driving cars that were owned by a car salesman or a Columbus used-car lot where the salesman worked." He'd also been allowed to test drive a car for the weekend to his home in Pennsylvania.

Archie said the school knew of two of the incidents and had deemed nothing improper. He said the school would investigate the third traffic stop in a borrowed car. There has been no update on that internal investigation.

Tressel, 58, has been a head coach for 25 years, the last 10 at Ohio State. His Buckeye teams have won at least a share of the last six Big Ten titles and captured the 2002 BCS national championship.

[/quote]
[url="http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-osuprobe030711"]Source[/url]

Why would it take 3 months for this to come to light?

Anyway, I don't see the big deal. If a player's Dad can try and sell him to
the highest bidder, I don't think players selling their own shit should be
as bad as some are trying to make it out to be.

That's just me though. And I am admittedly biased.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1299629914' post='975912']
He got off easy.
[/quote]

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1299630432' post='975919']
That was just a ban from OSU. The NCAA has not done anything yet.
[/quote]

Considering he was upholding a confidentiality agreement as part of a FEDERAL investigation, it's a shame that he is getting suspended at all.

Quotes excerpted from JT's press conference:

[quote]Last spring, I received some e-mails regarding ongoing drug trafficking case ... they outlined some of the parties involved.[/quote]

[quote]we get a lot of e-mails ... but this one was different. Jogged a lot (of memories) of the losses I've had.[/quote]

[quote]It was obviously tremendously conscerning. I was scared. Two of our current players were mentioned in the e-mails.[/quote]

[quote]Very emphatic with nature of [b]federal investigation that there be confidentiality.[/b] The tenor as I read it was serious and confidentiality was critical.[/quote]

[quote][b]I needed to keep sight of the fact that confidentiality was requested by the attorney, so I followed that.[/b] When Dec. came and we were given information from AG's office that 6 of our current SAs were involved, that was discouraging ... there were no criminal acts of any kind, which was a huge relief.[/quote]

[quote]An NCAA violation occurred on my part ... I learned that I probably needed to go to the top legal counsel person at the univ to get help on how to handle criminal investigations and confidentiality and the protection you need within the process. Obviously, I'm disappointed this happened at all. I take my responsibility for what we do at Ohio State very seriously. I am saddened by the fact I let some people down and didn't do things as well as I could have.[/quote]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1299635959' post='975948']
If he was upholding a confidentiality agreement from the govt he would not be being suspended. More to come
[/quote]

That would be stupid to lie about because it could very easily be verified.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1299637440' post='975953']
he will just claim he was confused....Can I sell my jersey? Can I report this? Lots of confusion @ OSU
[/quote]
[img]http://pawsru.org/fc/src/fc91516_haters-gonna-hate-2.jpg[/img]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1299639995' post='975965']
If they did something wrong,and you point it out you are a hater. ITs a religion for you people. HE cheats. HE cheated at YOungstown state!
[/quote]

I think they all cheat, one way or another because of the restrictive and hypocritical nature of NCAA regulations.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1299640777' post='975968']
I think they all cheat, one way or another because of the restrictive and hypocritical nature of NCAA regulations.
[/quote]

I agree that they all cheat. I dont care that Tressell cheats. I care that he presents himself as a man above that and the fans CS game? (sp?) him. He is a man, he cheats. No one cares. He got caught, he lied to make this year work for him, then he got caught, then he painted the picture so he would look good....What was his bonus for the BCS win?

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1299639995' post='975965']
If they did something wrong,and you point it out you are a hater. ITs a religion for you people. HE cheats. HE cheated at YOungstown state!
[/quote]

"You people", huh?

Ummmmm, you ARE a hater. You've admitted as much.

Anyway, it is a bunch of bullshit. These kids sold their own shit and the media and "you people"
are acting like they bought these kids cars and their families houses.

Again, a bunch of bullshit.

Was it legal per the ncaa to sell there stuff?

Those are the rules. I dont think its a gross injustice that they have done, but I also know its necessary to avoid teams from paying players. as far as what tressell did i dont think its a big deal. but if you are in a glass house you dont throw stones.

What I think is laughable is not the cheating but the post cheating spin. We were selling our merchandise so our families could eat. I had to lie to the ncaa to keep my players safe.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1299675644' post='976000']
Was it legal per the ncaa to sell there stuff?

Those are the rules. I dont think its a gross injustice that they have done, but I also know its necessary to avoid teams from paying players. as far as what tressell did i dont think its a big deal. but if you are in a glass house you dont throw stones.

What I think is laughable is not the cheating but the post cheating spin. We were selling our merchandise so our families could eat. I had to lie to the ncaa to keep my players safe.
[/quote]

Obviously it is "illegal" as far as the NCAA goes. But if they sold the same shit
after they got out of school, this would be a complete non issue. And it is a pretty
damn dumb issue as it stands.

And call it cheating all you want. Even when the NCAA found out about it, they allowed
all the players to play in the Bowl game. THEY ALLOWED PLAYERS THAT "CHEATED"
AND/OR BROKE THE RULES TO PLAY IN A FUCKING BOWL GAME. Why? Because if
they had suspended them for that game it would have hurt their TV ratings and ticket sales.
Gotta make our money off their backs, you know.

It is hypocrisy.

Anyway, you're still a hater.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1299676063' post='976001']
Obviously it is "illegal" as far as the NCAA goes. But if they sold the same shit
after they got out of school, this would be a complete non issue. And it is a pretty
damn dumb issue as it stands.

And call it cheating all you want. Even when the NCAA found out about it, they allowed
all the players to play in the Bowl game. THEY ALLOWED PLAYERS THAT "CHEATED"
AND/OR BROKE THE RULES TO PLAY IN A FUCKING BOWL GAME. Why? Because if
they had suspended them for that game it would have hurt their TV ratings and ticket sales.
Gotta make our money off their backs, you know.

It is hypocrisy.

Anyway, you're still a hater.
[/quote]

This.

Is murder the same as theft?

Saying cheating is cheating in any form and always at the same level is disingenuous at best....

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1299641082' post='975972']
I agree that they all cheat. I dont care that Tressell cheats. I care that he presents himself as a man above that and the fans CS game? (sp?) him. He is a man, he cheats. No one cares. He got caught, he lied to make this year work for him, then he got caught, then he painted the picture so he would look good....What was his bonus for the BCS win?
[/quote]

I'm not saying he didn't screw up. That's not why I pointed out that you are a hater. I did that because you implied he was lying about the reasons why.

The rule they broke is pretty stupid to begin with. If any of them were just students who sold personal property it would be a complete non-issue.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1299677525' post='976012']
I'm not saying he didn't screw up. That's not why I pointed out that you are a hater. I did that because you implied he was lying about the reasons why.

The rule they broke is pretty stupid to begin with. If any of them were just students who sold personal property it would be a complete non-issue.
[/quote]

They cans ell their personal property. they just cant sell their personal property provided them by the school. The reasons are obvious. The school could simply pay them in merchandise and awards that they can then just sell.

Archived