Marvin accepts that Carson Palmer won’t be back, Carson is atop Miami's list

[size="5"][b]Marvin Lewis accepts that Carson Palmer won't be back[/b]
[/size]Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2011, 10:11 AM EDT

Carson Palmer insists that he won't return to Cincinnati, while the Bengals insist that they won't trade him. But while that might sound like a recipe for a lengthy battle between player and team, it might not be.

In fact, Peter King writes in this week's Monday Morning Quarterback that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is telling people he knows in the football world that Palmer won't be back, and the Bengals are taking a close look at all the quarterback prospects in this year's draft.

"Marvin knows how stubborn Carson is, and he thinks no matter what happens, [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/20/mmqb/2.html"][color="#d81718"]the guy won't change his mind[/color][/url]," one club executive told King.

But while Palmer would like to be traded — preferably closer to home, like San Francisco or Arizona — Bengals owner Mike Brown has continued to say that he doesn't want to trade his quarterback. So the only remaining option for Palmer could be retiring.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/marvin-lewis-accepts-that-carson-palmer-wont-be-back/related/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/marvin-lewis-accepts-that-carson-palmer-wont-be-back/related/[/url]

[b]Carson Palmer is serious about not going back to Cincinnati.[/b] I've heard Marvin Lewis is acknowledging to people he knows in football that Palmer won't be back in Cincinnati, and the Bengals are looking into all of the top quarterback prospects. "Marvin knows how stubborn Carson is, and he thinks no matter what happens, the guy won't change his mind,'' said one club executive. I believe that. But that doesn't mean the Bengals will deal him either.

Palmer's not Carl Pickens or Corey Dillon, a disaffected star who was divisive in the locker room. He's been a classy franchise quarterback since stepping on campus in 2003. He's the team's billboard, though he's had a couple of shaky years in a row. The Bengals don't have a history of responding well to threats. What makes this interesting, though, is that Cincinnati would be able to get something decent for Palmer in trade. He's 31. He's healthy. He'd love to play in California (you listening, Jim Harbaugh?) and I'm sure would settle for Arizona.

If both San Francisco and Arizona pass on a rookie high in the draft April 28, or pass on trading for Kevin Kolb of the Eagles, they'd be my leaders in the clubhouse -- joined by Minnesota -- in the race for Palmer. All of that could all be moot, of course, because of Bengals owner Mike Brown. He doesn't care much for, nor is affected by, a player holding him hostage, never mind a player Brown has grown to like a lot as a man.

Read more: [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/20/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1HFDFO1mo"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/20/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1HFDFO1mo[/url]

I think Carson's willing to retire if he doesn't get to move back home.

I think Mike Brown is willing to let him retire if he doesn't want to play in
Cincinnati (or if no team is willing to overpay for him).

I think Marvin and I agree on those two points, and is moving forward.

I said it in the pft comments: what do you offer for a quarterback that doesn't
make football his top priority? I could understand a team investing in him if he
"wanted to be anywhere but the Bengals." Hell, I might even throw a good pick
at him if he "just wants to play for a winner." At least he's all football. This is
different. Carson is willing to play football as long as he can move back to the
West Coast. I don't think that's the guy I want leading my team, and I don't
think anyone's going to offer more than Mike Brown thinks he's worth to get him.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1300720885' post='978659']

make football his top priority? I could understand a team investing in him if he
at him if he "just wants to play for a winner." At least he's all football. This is
different. Carson is willing to play football as long as he can move back to the
think anyone's going to offer more than Mike Brown thinks he's worth to get him.
[/quote]

I think ultimately he'll be traded.

Marvin and Katie have won a few battles against Mike in the recent past, that were in the best interests of the organization.

I think they'll eventually win this one too, that is, assuming Katie isn't siding with Mike.

[quote][size="5"][b]Report: Palmer atop Miami’s quarterback wish list[/b][/size]

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 21, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

Getty Images
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has accepted that Carson Palmer won’t be back with the team. There’s another AFC team that would reportedly love to have him.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Palmer stands atop Miami’s wish list of quarterbacks who are potentially available this offseason. The Dolphins prefer Palmer over possibilities like Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, Kyle Orton, and Alex Smith.

“Palmer is the player folks in the Dolphins organization would love on a Dolphins jersey,” Salguero writes. “None of this is my opinion. It’s the opinion of folks within the Miami organization who have done the work. This comes from folks who have watched the films or crunched the numbers or done the evaluations or talked to the men who did.”

Palmer’s situation is a little different than it is for the Eagles and Kevin Kolb. Philadelphia clearly seems willing to deal Kolb, although it could be less advantageous for Philly to do as if they aren’t allowed to make a trade before the NFL Draft.

Bengals owner Mike Brown and Palmer could be in a standoff that lasts well beyond the draft, regardless of league rules.

If Brown bends from his no-trade stance, it sounds like Cincinnati has a very interested party in Miami.[/quote]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/report-dolphins-put-palmer-atop-wish-list-of-available-quarterbacks/

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1300726798' post='978687']
Good luck with that, Miami. Brown doesn't want to trade him, and Palmer wants to
go West. In a situation where it takes three to tango, Miami doesn't even have a second.
[/quote]

at least one of those things can change. And if nothing else, Miami can be used to drive up the price.

If Mike Brown doesn't trade Carson and Palmer ends up retiring, that's really going to piss a lot of fans off. The Bengals absolutely need to get [i]something[/i] for him, and the teams out west like San Fran and Arizona [i]definitely[/i] need a quarterback.

I really hope Mike isn't as stubborn as I think he is.

Miami has the 15th pick in the draft...I would trade Palmer for that in a heartbeat.

According to ProfootballTalk.com...

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has accepted that Carson Palmer won’t be back with the team. There’s another AFC team that would reportedly love to have him.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Palmer stands atop Miami’s wish list of quarterbacks who are potentially available this offseason. The Dolphins prefer Palmer over possibilities like Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, Kyle Orton, and Alex Smith.

“Palmer is the player folks in the Dolphins organization would love on a Dolphins jersey,” Salguero writes. “None of this is my opinion. It’s the opinion of folks within the Miami organization who have done the work. This comes from folks who have watched the films or crunched the numbers or done the evaluations or talked to the men who did.”

Palmer’s situation is a little different than it is for the Eagles and Kevin Kolb. Philadelphia clearly seems willing to deal Kolb, although it could be less advantageous for Philly to do if they aren’t allowed to make a trade before the NFL Draft.

Bengals owner Mike Brown and Palmer are in a different situation. They could be in a standoff that lasts well beyond the draft, regardless of league rules.

If Brown bends from his no-trade stance, it sounds like Cincinnati has a very interested party in Miami.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1300729553' post='978717']
i think it would shoot a big ass hole in that theory if she "did"
[/quote]
I think Carson has bitched out to his wife. She calls the shots. I can't believe a 6'5" 230 pound dude has no balls. Unbelievable. Regardless of whether or not he's a Bengal next year, if the wife deal is true, I lose all respect for Carson.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1300729553' post='978717']
i think it would shoot a big ass hole in that theory if she "did"
[/quote]

Not really. Miami is more like Southern Cal than Cincy and Miami fans are way more laid back than our locals. Warm weather team in a pass oriented division sounds like a perfect match for Carson.

I think she wants out of Cincy because she DOESN'T LIKE CINCY, not that she can't live away from So Cal another day.

I am just guessing but Carson coming home and bitching about what a cluster fuck the team is was more influential to Mrs. Carson than anything else. She isn't going to come out and say that but that is my take.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1300727077' post='978690']
If Mike Brown doesn't trade Carson and Palmer ends up retiring, that's really going to piss a lot of fans off. The Bengals absolutely need to get [i]something[/i] for him, and the teams out west like San Fran and Arizona [i]definitely[/i] need a quarterback.

I really hope Mike isn't as stubborn as I think he is.
[/quote]
I'm so-so on it. If we can't get a 1st rounder or a top 5 pick in the 2nd, then let him retire. There's no reason to help out another team, I don't care what conference they play in.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1300720885' post='978659']

[/quote]

You don't think it would irk MB just a little if Palmer retires for a year and then plays with a different jersey? Knowing he got nothing for him?? MB has to maintain the "we won't trade him" talk. ML is working the other side. Good cop, bad cop. Bottom line, he'll get traded and we'll be surprised what we get in return for him. As far as we have seen, the west coast is a preference, right? Or was it an ultimatum?

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1300735442' post='978757']
You don't think it would irk MB just a little if Palmer retires for a year and then plays with a different jersey? Knowing he got nothing for him?? MB has to maintain the "we won't trade him" talk. ML is working the other side. Good cop, bad cop. Bottom line, he'll get traded and we'll be surprised what we get in return for him. As far as we have seen, the west coast is a preference, right? Or was it an ultimatum?
[/quote]

I don't think Palmer can "un-retire" after a year. The Bengals would own his rights basically forever, until they agree to release him from his contract. At least, that's my understanding.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1300736332' post='978765']
I don't think Palmer can "un-retire" after a year. The Bengals would own his rights basically forever, until they agree to release him from his contract. At least, that's my understanding.
[/quote]
Favre got out of it. I believe he unretired and as soon as that happened TE Jets carried his salary of like $10 million... so they just cut him. Carson could do the same to us, no?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1300736514' post='978766']
Favre got out of it. I believe he unretired and as soon as that happened TE Jets carried his salary of like $10 million... so they just cut him. Carson could do the same to us, no?
[/quote]

Yeah, but the Packers had to permit that happening, right?

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1300735442' post='978757']
[/quote]

Palmer has 4 years remaining on his contract. It doesn't go by the calendar.
It could be 20 years from now and he would still owe them 4 years.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1300734775' post='978751']
I'm so-so on it. If we can't get a 1st rounder or a top 5 pick in the 2nd, then let him retire. There's no reason to help out another team, I don't care what conference they play in.
[/quote]

This is where I am at too. Its self-destructive as all hell, but I don't care. Spite is fun.

Archived