QB Offseason

Just got done reading up on the prospects for this years draft. Decided now might be a good time to throw this out there to see what everyone thought. The FA's are first. Everyone with a star is potentially restricted in the 4-5 year mix. I think that there is some logic that with a short offseason keeping those guys under a rule that states they are restricted would facilitate better football in 2011. That does not guarantee anything.

My thought process is pretty fluid on this position so I am sure it will be persuaded by your takes. I have given up on Palmer coming back but don't think our team will be too bad in 2011 so I think we need a vet QB. I am not in love with any QB in this draft, but definitely feel the pressure to take one, despite a poor track record of QBs taken outside of round 1. I think that we have to take an OL in round 1 or 2 and think that any OL would be a reach in round 1 unless we trade down. I also think that the only QBs worth a second round pick are Locker and Gabbert with Gabbert surely gone. I only take Locker if there is not a clear cut OL prospect there. He has warts too. I have the QBs listed down below according to where I would draft one. I think many will get overdrafted. Gabbert, Locker and Stanzi are my favorite guys in this draft. I think Stanzi will most likely end up being drafted closest to where I value him.

CFA's are a crapshoot. I liked what I read about each of them so I marked them down but clearly they have holes. What I liked most about Estridge was that he seems to still be on the rise and have a very good touch in the short game which seems to fit the West Coast.

In regards to FA's I think that if we have to trade Palmer we probably try to make a splash at the position. Trading for Kolb would be ideal IMO because he is a known commodity and the draft pick we trade for him would not need to come until 2012. I think that's unlikely though because we rarely ever do what makes the most sense and have rarely been that aggressive. So thinking what might fit the Bengals more, I think that with an easy schedule and a decent roster we might as well go with a veteran like D McNaab. It probably does not make much sense to go after a guy like Alex Smith who may be great but more likely will stay in the mediocre range. I love him as a backup but not as a starter option.

Here is how I have it mapped out, but think its really changing the more I think about it. What do you think?
QB McNaab-Redskins LeFevour 2013 Stanzi-Rd 3 Eskridge UDFA

[xml]QB Size Stats
Alex Smith-49ers 6-4 217 26 49s-53g 2094 60.4% 12-10 79.7 2010
Tyler Thigpen-Dolphins* 6-1 224 26 12s-21g 2998 54.5% 20-17 72.9 C
Tavaris Jackson-Vikes* 6-2 225 27 20s-36g 3984 58.6% 24-22 76.6 C
Donovon McNaab-Redskins 6-2 240 34 13g-13s 3377 58.3% 14-15 77.1 2010
Marc Bulger-Ravens 6-3 208 34 8s-9g 1469 56.7% 5-6 70.7 2010
Rex Grossman-Redskins 6-1 236 30 33s-40g 548 53.9% 5-3 77.4 2010
Kellen Clemens-Jets* 6-2 220 27 9s-24g 1680 51.8% 5-11 59.7 C
Brodie Croyle-Chiefs* 6-2 206 27 10s-18g 1669 56.7% 8-9 67.8 C
Bruce Gradkowski-Raider* 6-1 220 27 20s-32g 1059 53.2% 5-7 66.3 2010
Matt Moore-Panthers* 6-3 202 26 13s-22g 857 55.2% 5-10 55.6 2010
Matt Leinart-Texans* 6-5 232 27 17s-29g 3893 57.1% 14-20 70.8 C

Blaine Gibbert 6-5 235 Missou 2nd
Jake Locker 6-2 228 Washington 2nd
Ricky Stanzi 6-4 221 Iowa 3rd
Colin Kaepernick 6-4 225 Nevada 5th
Ryan Mallett 6-6 240 Arkansas 3rd
Christian Ponder 6-2 229 Florida St 3rd
Andy Dalton 6-2 213 TCU 4th
Scott Tolzien 6-2 209 Wisconsin CFA
Greg McElroy 6-1 222 Alabama CFA
Ben Chappell 6-1 240 Indiana CFA
Pat Devlin 6-3 225 Delaware CFA
Zack Estridge 6-3 227 Midwestern St CFA
Taylor Harris 6-2 229 W Texas A&M CFA
Josh Portis 6-2 211 California (Pa) CFA
Tyrod Taylor 6-0 217 Va Tech CFA
[/xml]

Might as well throw Vince Young into the mix as the Titans aren't keeping him on his current deal and he'd rather test free agency than stay in Nashville.

Mallett would probably be the best value in the 2nd but he wouldn't do much this season if the lockout lasts until September. RM has the best arm in this draft. The questions about him are mainly maturity and character and those are under his control. It's entirely possible he grows up and turns into a good NFL QB.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1302469261' post='982863']
Might as well throw Vince Young into the mix as the Titans aren't keeping him on his current deal and he'd rather test free agency than stay in Nashville.

Mallett would probably be the best value in the 2nd but he wouldn't do much this season if the lockout lasts until September. RM has the best arm in this draft. The questions about him are mainly maturity and character and those are under his control. It's entirely possible he grows up and turns into a good NFL QB.
[/quote]

Young I thought about and then dismissed because I did not think that he made a ton of sense for us. Another guy who I probably should have put is Kyle Orton. Not sure if they run the West Coast ( I think they do) but he seems to be succeeding in spite of rare athletic ability.

I just dont think you can build a team around Mallett. I dont see him as a leader and his drug stuff is too frightening.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302482072' post='982876']
Young I thought about and then dismissed because I did not think that he made a ton of sense for us. Another guy who I probably should have put is Kyle Orton. Not sure if they run the West Coast ( I think they do) but he seems to be succeeding in spite of rare athletic ability.

I just dont think you can build a team around Mallett.[b] I dont see him as a leader and his drug stuff is too frightening.[/b]
[/quote]

yet no one can find any proof of it and he's never failed a single test.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302556577' post='983028']
Anyone think jordan Palmer comes back?
[/quote]

Depends on the draft. If we don't draft a QB, I wouldn't be surprised if he's back. I think JP said somewhere that he'd been offered a new deal before the lockout.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302569955' post='983078']
He was working out with the WRs which is good.
[/quote]

he said he was going to plan something. I haven't heard that they've actually done it yet.

One thing I"ll say is that he's probably a better fit for a WCO than Brat's offense.

I am still desperately hoping they can convince Carson to return. He is better than any other option in FA or the draft.

I really don't see any QB in this draft I want to put my hopes on for the next 5 to 10 years. I would honestly prefer to wait and draft a QB next season if Carson is set on leaving.

If forced to pick a QB this year, I certainly don't want to take him at 4 because of what I said above. Take the best available in 2, so that his contract would not be too burdensome and unless he turns out to be the second coming of Joe Cool, draft the best QB we can get next year, and trade up to do it if necessary.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1302636097' post='983215']
I am still desperately hoping they can convince Carson to return. He is better than any other option in FA or the draft.

I really don't see any QB in this draft I want to put my hopes on for the next 5 to 10 years. [b]I would honestly prefer to wait and draft a QB next season if Carson is set on leaving.[/b]

If forced to pick a QB this year, I certainly don't want to take him at 4 because of what I said above. Take the best available in 2, so that his contract would not be too burdensome and unless he turns out to be the second coming of Joe Cool, draft the best QB we can get next year, and trade up to do it if necessary.
[/quote]

If I were running things I'd still probably end up drafting a guy this year (not first round), but I'll admit, after looking at the list of (to-be) free agent QB's I posted in the main forum, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in two vets to compete with Lefevour for the starting job.

Archived