---- Jonathan Joseph ----

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bengals resign Joseph ?

• Yes, regardless of cost
    • Only if the price is right
    • No, Adam can step in for him
  2. 2. Rank Joseph league wide ?

• best corner
    • 2-5th best corner
    • 6-10th best corner
    • 11-15th best corner
    • 16-20th best corner
    • 21st + best corner
  3. 3. If the Bengals could only afford 1 of them, who would you rather have long term ?

• Jonathan Joseph
    • Leon Hall
  4. 4. Do you think the Bengals need to keep both Joseph and Hall ?

• It is a must!
    • Yes
    • probably
    • No, 1 will do
    • Don't need either
  5. 5. What do you think Joseph is worth per year (avg) ?

• < 5 mill
    • 5 mill
    • 6 mill
    • 7 mill
    • 8 mill
    • 9 mill
    • 10 mill
    • 11 mill
    • 12 mill
    • > 13 mill

When healthy Joseph is arguably the best player on our team and is one of the top 10 CBs in the league. However he has had major foot/ankle issues in four of the last seven years going all the way back to when he missed the entire '04 season at South Carolina.

So while I love Joseph as a player I don't think it is in the Bengals best interest to sign him long term. Especially since CBs are the highest paid players on the defensive side of the ball. It would probably take over $9 million a year to re-sign him.

And even though Pickman was looking great before his injury this is his second major neck injury. So I don't feel very confident in him lasting very much longer in the NFL.

I know we have used 2 of our last 5 first round picks on CBs, but if Peterson is there at #4 I say we need to take him. It is just too expensive to try to find a great CB in the free agent market.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1303319537' post='984834']
[b]I think that if the Bengals want to even have a slim chance at a deep playoff run in the years to come - that they MUST keep [u]BOTH[/u] of them.

The Jets the last few years have proven the value of having 2 good corners. [/b]
[/quote]

I would rather they break the bank over a much better Asomugha then come close to breaking the back over Joseph...

[b]Financially, the way I look at it is that each team has 100 million in payroll ... and that it is worth it to spend 16-18 mill of that a year on 2 good corners. Basically half your payroll is usually eaten up by your starting QB (10), LT/RT (8)x2 and CB or DE (8)x2. Since the Bengals don't have pro bowl DE's, they should keep their pro-bowl worthy CB's. [/b]

[b]Financially, the way I look at it is that each team has 100 million in payroll ... and that it is worth it to spend 16-18 mill of that a year on 2 good corners. Basically half your payroll is usually eaten up by your starting QB (10), LT/RT (8)x2 and CB or DE (8)x2. Since the Bengals don't have pro bowl DE's, they should keep their pro-bowl worthy CB's. [/b]

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1303319680' post='984835']
I would rather they break the bank over a much better Asomugha then come close to breaking the back over Joseph...
[/quote]

[b]Joseph will probably cost 7-9 per year ... while Asomugha will want at least 12-14 a year.[/b]

Corners are the most underrated part of football. They're on the field every down on defense. If you look at all of the awesome corners, they are virtually all high draft picks. You have to keep good ones if you find them. Joseph and Hall need to be Bengals forever. Even Pacman can stay. That is a formidable crew.

Keep them both. I love this tandem.

I want them both here long term. Honestly while Joseph has missed time here and there due to injury, I still feel he is the more valuable corner. Joseph is a force out there... He rarely takes a bad angle, he tackles well, and very seldom gets beat. Hall on the other hand has been exposed and is targeted more often in my opinion thus making him easier to replace.

Someone is leaving whether it be Joseph or Pacman. Pacman will eventually want to start when he gets full go and back into the game. We drafted Ghee or Trent to eventually become the nickel. They probably know what they're going to get out of Trent and Ghee will be figured out this year. I would have no issue with:

Hall
Pacman
Trent
Ghee

or

Hall
Joseph
Trent
Ghee

What was that last corner who only had a couple days of practice and started for us (or at least played a lot)? He had a good game I remember watching.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1303322350' post='984850']
Someone is leaving whether it be Joseph or Pacman. Pacman will eventually want to start when he gets full go and back into the game. We drafted Ghee or Trent to eventually become the nickel. They probably know what they're going to get out of Trent and Ghee will be figured out this year. I would have no issue with:

Hall
Pacman
Trent
Ghee

or

Hall
Joseph
Trent
Ghee

[b]What was that last corner who only had a couple days of practice and started for us (or at least played a lot)? He had a good game I remember watching.[/b]
[/quote]

Jonathan Wade.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1303319405' post='984831']
The only reason I chose Hall over Joseph is Hall doesnt get hurt, I believe Joseph is the better corner, but its close, but Joseph misses a few games because of the foot almost every year.
[/quote]

exactly how I feel....
I really hope they can sign them both long term....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1303319680' post='984835']
[/quote]

I'd rather have Joseph and Hall for the same money as Asomugha. JoJo and Leon will get about 8 mil per season each. Namdi has been making more than 16 mil in Oakland and will probably get a similar offer from Dallas if there's no cap again this year.

Re-signing JJ is yet another reason that Mike Brown needs to not be a dumbass and trade Carson once a CBA is in place. Not only will stubbornly holding on to him potentially cost us a 1st round 2012 pick, but it might also cost us Johnathan Joseph due to Carson's 11 million cap hold.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1303428746' post='985128']
[b]If the Bengals take Peterson at #4 ... then it better be to play SS.

I think Amukamara is actually a better CB than Peterson is, but feel that Peterson could be the next Ed Reed at SS.[/b]
[/quote]

Ed Reed is a FS, which is where Peterson would be if he moved to safety.

I've said all along that I'd love to move Peterson to a joker role, even if you re-sign JJ.

[quote]Or in a different take, I'm still in favor of jumping ahead of the NFL curve and moving to a 3 CB, 1 safety base secondary, with all 4 guys being physical and able to help in run support.

(Resign JJ)

Hall and JJ are your starting corners. Reggie Nelson is at safety.

Peterson is your wildcard player who may act as a corner or a safety depending on the alignment of the offense.

He's your joker, He's your Ed Reed.
[/quote]

Archived