The perils of drafting WRs early

As the Lions and other teams know, position carries great risk in first round

* Email
* Print
* Comments17

By John McTigue
ESPN Stats & Information
Archive

No position exemplifies the risk-reward scenario of the NFL draft more than quarterback.

Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers. Jake Long instead of Matt Ryan. JaMarcus Russell in 2007, Sam Bradford in 2010. Although the risk is always there when selecting a quarterback in the first round, the high reward of potentially finding a franchise signal-caller seems to be well worth it.

Each position on the field comes with its own risk-reward scenario. Tight ends, for example, have proved to be reliable and durable first-round picks. All 14 selected in the first round since 2001 were still active in 2010. Linebackers have been durable selections also, as have been defensive backs.

Other positions, when drafted in the first round, bring greater risk, which can be defined by taking several factors into account.

Picks of positions that consistently underperform, miss time and see shortened careers should then be considered risky. One position in particular has proved to be the riskiest of all first-round choices.

If your team is considering drafting A.J. Green or Julio Jones, you might want to start worrying. And if that's not enough, remember that the Detroit Lions spent four top-10 picks between 2003 and 2007 on wide receivers and only one of those picks is still with the team.

The NFL has become a more pass-happy league. In 2008, 57.2 percent of NFL plays were called passes and 45.7 percent utilized three or more wide receivers. In 2010, 59.0 percent of plays were called passes and 48.2 percent of plays utilized at least three wideouts.

The increase in passing and wide receiver usage has naturally led to an increase in wide receivers selected in the first round. From 2001 to 2010, wide receivers were the second-most drafted players in the first round, trailing only defensive backs (both corners and safeties).

First-Round WRs Since 1971
Overall In Top 10
2001-2010 40 14
1991-2000 35 14
1981-1990 29 6
1971-1980 24 8

The 40 first-round picks since 2001 have combined to play 199 seasons in the NFL. Only 41 of those 199 seasons (20.6 percent) saw the receiver eclipse 1,000 receiving yards. Only 17 of the 40 receivers have registered a 1,000-yard season and just nine have done it more than once.

Even if you were to ignore their rookie seasons to account for an NFL learning curve, you'd have 159 seasons and 40 1,000-yard seasons (25.2 percent). Michael Clayton was the only receiver of the group with a 1,000-yard season his rookie year and he never had more than 484 in a season after that.

Compiling the stats from the cumulative 199 seasons for all 40 first-round receivers, the average season hasn't been up to the standards of the top receivers in the league.

WR Production

Average season for wide receivers drafted in the first round since 2001 .
Overall In Top 10
Games 13.6 13.2
Receptions 47.4 48.0
Rec. yards 635.5 666.0
Rec. TDs 4.2 4.3

Last season alone, 47 wideouts had 48 receptions, 45 had 653 receiving yards and 52 caught four or more touchdown passes.

Go back 20 years and first-round receivers have averaged 13.6 games, 47.5 receptions, 665.8 yards and 4.2 touchdowns per season. That list even includes Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt, three of the top 10 in career receiving yards.

Other pieces of the puzzle when determining risk are durability and longevity.

No other position drafted since 2001 has seen a higher percentage of players inactive in 2010. Eleven of the 40 first-round receivers did not play in a game last season, meaning 72.5 percent of all first-round receivers played. Defensive backs (79.3 percent) were the only other position to dip below 80 percent.

[+] EnlargeCharles Rogers
Ron Schwane/US PresswireCharles Rogers, the Lions' first-round pick in 2003, was out of the NFL by 2006.

Those 11 wide receivers averaged 5.1 seasons in their careers. Five of those receivers played their last games in or prior to 2006. Only two other offensive players drafted in 2001 or later (running back William Green and tackle Kenyatta Walker) were out by 2006.

Calvin Johnson is the only survivor of the Lions' infamous string of first-round receivers. What happened in Detroit may have been comical, but it exemplified the perils of drafting a wideout in the first round.

Before picking Johnson in 2007, the Lions used those top-10 picks on Charles Rogers (2003), Roy Williams (2004) and Mike Williams (2005). Rogers and Johnson represent the extreme: Rogers is one of the 11 wide receivers picked in the first round since 2001 already out of the NFL and Johnson is one of the nine receivers to post multiple 1,000-yard seasons. Johnson is also one of the eight to make an AP All-Pro team and a Pro Bowl.

Since 2001, there has been a one-in-four chance a receiver would be out of the NFL within five years (Rogers). There is also a one-in-four chance to draft an elite talent (Johnson). Both Mike and Roy Williams represent the other guys -- wild cards, if you will.

Mike Williams joined Rogers as a bust before reviving his career and becoming a serviceable receiver with the Seahawks (751 yards in 2010, three 100-yard games). Roy Williams started his career off strong, picking up 1,310 receiving yards in his third season. Since then, he has been traded to the Cowboys and hasn't topped 900 yards in a season.

With teams passing more and using more three-wide receiver sets, the perception has become that drafting a first-round talent at wide receiver is a necessity. However, despite the increase in pass plays and three-wide receiver formations, wide receivers haven't been targeted more.

Percentage of All Targets to WRs
(Last 3 Seasons)
Overall In Red Zone
2010 59.2 57.7
2009 58.4 56.5
2008 59.1 57.1

Pass-catching tight ends and running backs are still just as important in offenses. As teams use more platoons at running back and as tight ends become more athletic, that is not likely to change.

The sheer volume of wide receivers in the draft gives teams plenty of opportunities to get a high-caliber player. On a per game basis, first-round receivers since 2001 have averaged 3.4 receptions, 48.0 yards and 0.3 touchdowns. Receivers drafted in the second round or later have averaged 2.1 receptions, 27.5 yards and 0.2 touchdowns per game. (Those numbers were compiled from the 235 wide receivers who played at least one game.)

When thinking of the difference between a first-round receiver and a second-round-or-later receiver, one 20-yard catch per game probably isn't what comes to mind, but players like Greg Jennings, Chad Ochocinco, Vincent Jackson, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Marshall and Mike Wallace (among others) have helped close that gap.

A.J. Green and Julio Jones are the only two wide receivers projected to go in the first round this month, according to both Todd McShay's and Mel Kiper's most recent mock drafts. Both could translate to 1,000-yard talents, but statistically speaking, each has only a one-in-four shot to be a real difference maker.

There's definitely merit in criticizing taking a WR that early in the draft.

The one thing I'd point out to consider in this article is that you can't even remotely put Roy Williams and Mike Williams in the AJ Green class. From a prospect perspective Green is far closer to Calvin Johnson than Williams squared.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1303901139' post='986144']
I just don't see the value of AJ Green at #4.
[/quote]

I don't see how you couldn't. The article does not question the value of a WR on the field of play. It challenges the method and level of acquisition.

From what has been said and reported AJ has that talent and is about as proven as an unproven draft can get.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1303901139' post='986144']
I just don't see the value of AJ Green at #4.
[/quote]
Me either. If Carson were still playing I could..if we draft Dalton or Ponder I don't. AJ Green is a guy that makes plays down the field. He doesn't have the body type that dictates over the middle. If you want that, trade down and take Julio Jones.

I don't see why we don't work on our interior lines, running backs, and quarterback before we start worrying about receivers. We already have an up and coming #1 and a great slot receiver, can't we wait until next year to get another one?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1303913073' post='986202']
Me either. If Carson were still playing I could..if we draft Dalton or Ponder I don't. AJ Green is a guy that makes plays down the field. He doesn't have the body type that dictates over the middle. If you want that, trade down and take Julio Jones.
[/quote]

I agree that Jones is the more physical player, but AJ will catch over the middle. And he catches the ball. Julio doesn't always do so well there, at least in comparison to AJ.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1303913167' post='986203']
I agree that Jones is the more physical player, but AJ will catch over the middle. And he catches the ball. Julio doesn't always do so well there, at least in comparison to AJ.
[/quote]
I just don't think his frame is going to hold up over the seasons if he has too. Guy is going to have to take shots from some of the baddest dudes in the league. Julio's compact and stocky frame should be able too. Not saying Julio is better, just think that if were going to be a horizontal team rather than vertical, Julio might be better suited to be able to suit up all 16 games if the foot is healed up.

I don't think the posters that support the possible selection of AJ Green really fall in line with die hard taking ANY WR early in the draft.

The reality is, this team has horrible time in the red zone and scoring in general. The No. 1 and No. 2 WRs from last year look like locks to be gone. The need is there.

AJ Green by all accounts has been a top talent not only in this year's class but also last year's class. His play and workouts have validated it over and over again. The prospect is there to fit the need.

Explosive passing plays do largely determine games right behind points and turnovers, IMO. So the overall skill need is there.

For the life of me, I can not see how any bengal fan could not be happy to land this guy at 4.

Doesn't mean he can't bust or just be a solid player instead of a superstar. There is a level of risk for every player and every position group. You read an article like the one above and it can be spun to actually advocate taking Green because he looks as close to a lock as possible and it's a position group that has a high failure rate.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1303913621' post='986209']
The reality is, this team has horrible time in the red zone and scoring in general. The No. 1 and No. 2 WRs from last year look like locks to be gone. The need is there.
[/quote]
That's probably not going to change with Jordan Palmer at the helm regardless of AJ Green.

I won't hate the Green selection. I'd just rather have a team that gives up a little amount of points due to a gritty defense and I think at #4 there are some guys that fit that bill to achieve that.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1303913621' post='986209']
I don't think the posters that support the possible selection of AJ Green really fall in line with die hard taking ANY WR early in the draft.

AJ Green by all accounts has been a top talent not only in this year's class but also last year's class. His play and workouts have validated it over and over again. The prospect is there to fit the need.

Explosive passing plays do largely determine games right behind points and turnovers, IMO. So the overall skill need is there.

For the life of me, I can not see how any bengal fan could not be happy to land this guy at 4.

Doesn't mean he can't bust or just be a solid player instead of a superstar. There is a level of risk for every player and every position group. You read an article like the one above and it can be spun to actually advocate taking Green because he looks as close to a lock as possible and it's a position group that has a high failure rate.
[/quote]

Thank you!!

The ones not wanting Green are kind of making it seem like the other defensive players in the draft are going to be sure fire studs. On top of that, you want a player that will immediately step into the starting lineup. On defense, I'm not so sure that (other than Darius and Miller which will probably be gone) would be an immediate starter here. Green fills a HUGE void this team has right now and in the immediate future. Let's not forget all the starters on defense (from the 5th ranked defense I add) that were IR'd. The only position (IMO) on defefense where the Bengals really NEEDED a high round draft pick is, SS, and we all know there is no one in the draft worth the #4 pick.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1303916825' post='986222']
That's probably not going to change with Jordan Palmer at the helm regardless of AJ Green.

I won't hate the Green selection. I'd just rather have a team that gives up a little amount of points due to a gritty defense and I think at #4 there are some guys that fit that bill to achieve that.
[/quote]

I don't argue the defensive pick. AJ Green is going to play more than a year for the Bengals. Who the QB is this year has no bearing on his selection and value.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1303917109' post='986224']
Thank you!!

The ones not wanting Green are kind of making it seem like the other defensive players in the draft are going to be sure fire studs. On top of that, you want a player that will immediately step into the starting lineup. On defense, I'm not so sure that (other than Darius and Miller which will probably be gone) would be an immediate starter here. Green fills a HUGE void this team has right now and in the immediate future. Let's not forget all the starters on defense (from the 5th ranked defense I add) that were IR'd. The only position (IMO) on defefense where the Bengals really NEEDED a high round draft pick is, SS, and we all know there is no one in the draft worth the #4 pick.
[/quote]

Green is a day 1 starter for sure. I say Peterson would find a bunch of playing time somewhere. I think Fairley or a DT fit in a rotation.

I don't see Miller fitting this team without a scheme change. LBs don't rush that often and the hybrids they tried there isn't a big sample size to see how they'd be used. I thinking Pollack and MJ.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1303918235' post='986236']
Green is a day 1 starter for sure.
[/quote]

Playing where? Who are you going to bench? Simpson, when he looks ready to break out finally? Or Shipley? Because "pounding the ball" out of a WCO sounds like a lot of "I" formations to me and I don't see drafting AJ Green @ #4 to play the slot.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1303905902' post='986161']
There's definitely merit in criticizing taking a WR that early in the draft.

The one thing I'd point out to consider in this article is that you can't even remotely put Roy Williams and Mike Williams in the AJ Green class. From a prospect perspective Green is far closer to Calvin Johnson than Williams squared.
[/quote]

this is not necessarily directed at your post, but do you remember a guy named charles rogers? all world, absolutely can't miss prospect. he played in a big conference at michigan state. his numbers and feats dwarfed anything AJ green has accomplished while in college and he was much faster and more of a deep TD threat, too. he had back to back (sophmore and jr. years) of over 1,200 yds/yr. 12 tds his sophmore year and 13 TDs his jr. year. he was just one of many.

here you go. read his profile...

Grading System
CHARLES ROGERS
Charles Rogers - WR Position: WR
Class: Underclassman
School: Michigan St.
Conference: Big Ten
Ht., Wt.: 6'2½, 202
40 Time: 4.43
Grade: 4.8

Selected by Detroit Lions
Round 1, pick 2 (2 overall)
BIO: Junior entry who set multiple league and school records the past two seasons. Caught 68 passes for 1,351 yards and 13 TDs last season and named both an All- Conference and All-American selection. Recipient of the 2002 Biletnikoff Award, presented annually to college football's top receiver. Sophomore totals were 57-1,200-12 as a receiver, also averaging 8.8 yards on 18 punt returns, bringing one back for a score and earning second team All Big 10 honors. Set the NCAA record for consecutive regular season games with a touchdown reception and leaves Michigan State as the all-time leader in touchdown receptions (27), and 100-yard receiving games (12). Signed on with Michigan State in 2000 but academically ineligible as a true freshman.

POSITIVES: Big, strong receiver who impacts the game as both a game controlling or game breaking wide out. Constantly doubled by opponents yet goes up in a crowd, adjusts to the errant throw and snags the ball out of the air away from defenders. Easily out muscles or out positions opponents, looks the ball in and makes the difficult catch with defenders draped all over him. Fast, beats defenders down the field and has the ""get up and go"" speed which enables him to run to the deep throw. Effective running after the catch picking up a lot of yardage either breaking tackles or running away from opponents. Intimidating and has defenders playing back on their heels.

NEGATIVES: Not a good route runner; choppy in and out of his breaks, does not stay low on exit and 10ds to round off routes. Lacks the quick release off the line as well as focus and concentration. Makes the seemingly impossible catch on one play yet falls asleep on the next snap and lets easy passes slip through his hands which will break your heart.

ANALYSIS: At the top of his game an unstoppable force effective over the middle, down the field and in the red zone. Makes a lot of big and important plays and was productive last season even as the program around him was crumbling. Has a star's mentality and plays to it. Needs to focus a bit more and concentrate on the finer details of his position but should be very productive right out of the gate.

PROJECTION: Early First Round

Photo: Danny Moloshok/Getty Images

2002 Receiving Statistics
Receptions Receiving Yards Yards Per Reception Touchdowns
68 1351 19.87 13

2002 Rushing Statistics
Rushing Yards Attempts Average per Rush Touchdowns
74 6 12.33 0

TFY Draft Preview

I can't wait until the draft is finally over.

Reading posts here, you'd think WR is the only position that has ever had busts.
And you'd think that experts, talent evaluators and the like all are just stooopit as
hell for ever having a WR prospect listed in the top 10 picks, ever. And that the WR
position should really just be done away with altogether.

My head hurts. Seriously.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1303919671' post='986255']
do you remember a guy named charles rogers? all world, absolutely can't miss prospect. he played in a big conference at michigan state. his numbers and feats dwarfed anything AJ green has accomplished while in college and he was much faster and more of a deep TD threat, too. he had back to back (sophmore and jr. years) of over 1,200 yds/yr. 12 tds his sophmore year and 13 TDs his jr. year. he was just one of many.

here you go. read his profile...

Grading System
CHARLES ROGERS
Charles Rogers - WR Position: WR
Class: Underclassman
School: Michigan St.
Conference: Big Ten
Ht., Wt.: 6'2½, 202
40 Time: 4.43
Grade: 4.8

Selected by Detroit Lions
Round 1, pick 2 (2 overall)
BIO: Junior entry who set multiple league and school records the past two seasons. Caught 68 passes for 1,351 yards and 13 TDs last season and named both an All- Conference and All-American selection. Recipient of the 2002 Biletnikoff Award, presented annually to college football's top receiver. Sophomore totals were 57-1,200-12 as a receiver, also averaging 8.8 yards on 18 punt returns, bringing one back for a score and earning second team All Big 10 honors. Set the NCAA record for consecutive regular season games with a touchdown reception and leaves Michigan State as the all-time leader in touchdown receptions (27), and 100-yard receiving games (12). Signed on with Michigan State in 2000 but academically ineligible as a true freshman.

POSITIVES: Big, strong receiver who impacts the game as both a game controlling or game breaking wide out. Constantly doubled by opponents yet goes up in a crowd, adjusts to the errant throw and snags the ball out of the air away from defenders. Easily out muscles or out positions opponents, looks the ball in and makes the difficult catch with defenders draped all over him. Fast, beats defenders down the field and has the ""get up and go"" speed which enables him to run to the deep throw. Effective running after the catch picking up a lot of yardage either breaking tackles or running away from opponents. Intimidating and has defenders playing back on their heels.

NEGATIVES: Not a good route runner; choppy in and out of his breaks, does not stay low on exit and 10ds to round off routes. Lacks the quick release off the line as well as focus and concentration. Makes the seemingly impossible catch on one play yet falls asleep on the next snap and lets easy passes slip through his hands which will break your heart.

ANALYSIS: At the top of his game an unstoppable force effective over the middle, down the field and in the red zone. Makes a lot of big and important plays and was productive last season even as the program around him was crumbling. Has a star's mentality and plays to it. Needs to focus a bit more and concentrate on the finer details of his position but should be very productive right out of the gate.

PROJECTION: Early First Round

Photo: Danny Moloshok/Getty Images

2002 Receiving Statistics
Receptions Receiving Yards Yards Per Reception Touchdowns
68 1351 19.87 13

2002 Rushing Statistics
Rushing Yards Attempts Average per Rush Touchdowns
74 6 12.33 0

TFY Draft Preview
[/quote]

Rogers busted because of off the field issues with drugs not due to lack of talent or because he was a WR. Off the field issues and drub problems can happen at any position you draft whether it be QB (Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf), OL (Tony Mandarich), WR (Rogers), LB (Odell Thurman), D Line (Jonathan Sullivan), CB (Pacman)....

AJ Green hasn't shown any history of drug use, so I don't see how the comparison has any validity or relevance at all....

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1303920351' post='986265']
I can't wait until the draft is finally over.

Reading posts here, you'd think WR is the only position that has ever had busts.
And you'd think that experts, talent evaluators and the like all are just stooopit as
hell for ever having a WR prospect listed in the top 10 picks, ever. And that the WR
position should really just be done away with altogether.

My head hurts. Seriously.
[/quote]

that's pretty extreme. i think nearly everyone opposed to the pick has stated he's a fine prospect. it's just that many of us question whether he's the best pick. do you expect everyone to stand in one line, with one thought, all in agreement? if discussing the different merits of each draft pick hurts your head so much, you do have options, you know. it doesn't really make much sense to let it get to that stage.

you shouldn't get so disheartened. the way mike brown loves the passing game, there's a very good chance we'll spend the pick on green. mike has never really understood the value of spending high draft picks on the DL, so it wouldn't surprise me if he takes a glorified WR at the top of this draft, ignoring the fact that it's a defensive heavy draft (especially early on).

I understand the trepidation of some of you on the drafting of AJ Green should the Bengals decide to go that route. However, by most account by the "Draft Experts", he is one of the four "Elite" players that will be drafted this year. I think if we get one of those consensus top four players, I will be happy. I still remember a 2009 offense that seemed to go off the rails after our last 6'4" WR went down, and that offense continued to regress last year. And although I have always been a Simpson fan, I think AJ would be a good addition to the team, especially if it results in the subtraction of the ocho. With the uncertainty we have a QB, I would actually prefer getting that unknown person a WR that can be a bail out player when things go wrong, a guy that will go and get the ball, a guy that is going to be in the right spots, and a guy that will be a tremendous weapon in the Endzone. The more I see of AJ, the more I think he is a help to an unstable offense, not a hinderance.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1303921555' post='986274']
that's pretty extreme. i think nearly everyone opposed to the pick has stated he's a fine prospect. it's just that many of us question whether he's the best pick. do you expect everyone to stand in one line, with one thought, all in agreement? if discussing the different merits of each draft pick hurts your head so much, you do have options, you know. it doesn't really make much sense to let it get to that stage.

you shouldn't get so disheartened. the way mike brown loves the passing game, there's a very good chance we'll spend the pick on green.[b] mike has never really understood the value of spending high draft picks on the DL,[/b] so it wouldn't surprise me if he takes a glorified WR at the top of this draft, ignoring the fact that it's a defensive heavy draft (especially early on).
[/quote]

He picked Wilkinson number 1. How'd that work for him?

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1303920659' post='986268']
Rogers busted because of off the field issues with drugs not due to lack of talent or because he was a WR. Off the field issues and drub problems can happen at any position you draft whether it be QB (Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf), OL (Tony Mandarich), WR (Rogers), LB (Odell Thurman), D Line (Jonathan Sullivan), CB (Pacman)....

AJ Green hasn't shown any history of drug use, so I don't see how the comparison has any validity or relevance at all....
[/quote]

rogers was just another example of those top of the draft/ supposed "can't miss" WRs i've read so much about in the last 40-50 years of watching this game. that's all. nothing you wrote is untrue.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1303921763' post='986277']
He picked Wilkinson number 1. How'd that work for him?
[/quote]

jesus H christ, kenny. that was 18 drafts ago! i sure hope you don't endorse that backward way of thinking? and danny wasn't that bad of a pick. he put up pretty sweet numbers for the start of his career, then became disheartened after the bengals switched his role in a 3-4 defense (as many tackles do). danny held up his end of the bargain. it certainly wasn't his fault those teams floundered.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1303921555' post='986274']

you shouldn't get so disheartened. the way mike brown loves the passing game, there's a very good chance we'll spend the pick on green. [b]mike has never really understood the value of spending high draft picks on the DL, [/b]so it wouldn't surprise me if he takes a glorified WR at the top of this draft, ignoring the fact that it's a defensive heavy draft (especially early on).
[/quote]

Big Daddy, Justin Smith, and John Copeland disagree with you.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1303917109' post='986224']
Thank you!!

[/quote]
Who is going to throw the ball to Green? Now, tell me who is going to block for the guy throwing him the ball. Next, tell me the players that have to sit while Green plays. Also, how many times a game will Green get a chance to make an impact? I'd rather take the USC OT that I can't even name over AJ Green.

It makes aboslutely zero sense. And how is WR a HUGE need right now? With or without Chad you have very capable players at the position that produced adequately when given the chance (AND you're not paying them like Green would need). Your rookie WR, just last year, racked up 600 yards playing the SLOT. AJ will make me shit from my mouth in a manner so profuse I may die within milliseconds of his name being called. I'm not a MB hater, but if he even entertains the idea of drafting Green... in the nicest way, he's not very smart.

Give me the defender who has a chance to make a huge play every snap he's on the field. This argument is so ridiculous it's hard to read some of these posts.

Thank you for your opinion on the subject. I just believe AJ Green is not the right pick for us so strongly that posts praising the possible selection has started to irk me entirely. Maybe I should break until after the draft.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1303923529' post='986289']
Who is going to throw the ball to Green? Now, tell me who is going to block for the guy throwing him the ball. Next, tell me the players that have to sit while Green plays. Also, how many times a game will Green get a chance to make an impact? I'd rather take the USC OT that I can't even name over AJ Green.

It makes aboslutely zero sense. And how is WR a HUGE need right now? With or without Chad you have very capable players at the position that produced adequately when given the chance (AND you're not paying them like Green would need). Your rookie WR, just last year, racked up 600 yards playing the SLOT. AJ will make me shit from my mouth in a manner so profuse I may die within milliseconds of his name being called. I'm not a MB hater, but if he even entertains the idea of drafting Green... in the nicest way, he's not very smart.

Give me the defender who has a chance to make a huge play every snap he's on the field. This argument is so ridiculous it's hard to read some of these posts.

Thank you for your opinion on the subject. I just believe AJ Green is not the right pick for us so strongly that posts praising the possible selection has started to irk me entirely. Maybe I should break until after the draft.
[/quote]

I feel you dog!
[img]http://www.framesdirectblog.com/wp-content/uploads/randy-jackson.jpg[/img]

Archived