!!!! BENGALS 2011 6TH ROUND PICK IS WR RYAN WHALEN !!!

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1304193994' post='989506']
Or a Shipley clone.
[/quote]

I think he's similar to Shipley - he's got good size, more quick than fast, has good hands, reliable. 18 bench reps at 225# at the Combine, for a WR - that's pretty stout. He won't stretch the field, but he'll catch over the middle, and he'll block, too. Saw him play one time - Luck looked for him a lot. I could see him as a PS guy, or the last WR on the roster.

He'll compete.

[quote name='cantstop85' timestamp='1304192566' post='989479']
Frustrating...figured it couldnt hurt to bring in Ziemba or McElroy just to have bodies in areas of need. but reciever...Im literally the same height and weight as this guy and run the same 40 time
[/quote]
Pfftt, lol im only 6ft3 at 15 and i need to re run a 40 lol. They shoulda picked me up off the streets lol

[b]1 minute ago[/b] - Sixth-round pick WR Ryan Whalen (6-2, 205) has nice size and is one of the better route runners in the draft. Recievers coach James Urban projects him to work out both in the slot and on the outside, but says he doesn't have near the quick-twitch of current slot starter WR Jordan Shipley. [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CIN"][color="#3b5998"]Bengals RapidReports[/color][/url]

[quote][size="5"][b]Sixth round: Ryan Whalen, WR, Stanford[/b][/size]
4:06 pm, Apr 30, 2011 | Written by jreedy | 0 Comments

The Bengals picked up another receiver in the sixth round, taking Stanford receiver Ryan Whalen with the 167th overall pick.

[b]Whalen walked on at Stanford and led the Cardinal in receiving as a sophomore and junior.[/b] Last season he missed two games due to an elbow injury but was second on the team in receptions with 41 for 439 yards and two touchdowns. Receivers coach James Urban said Whalen was extremely sound in running routes and that he could play either outside or in the slot.

[b]Mel Kiper in his draft guide also called Whalen one of the best route runners in this draft.[/b] Kiper and Rob Rang of NFL Draft Scout had Whalen [b]projected as a fifth- or sixth-round pick.[/b]

“He’s a tough, physical player. He’s been their go-to guy,” Urban said. “It sure seemed like in 3rd-and-6 they were going to him.”

Said Whalen: “Right now I couldn’t be feeling better. I think paying attention to the details, being consistent, making catches and getting open is very important.”

This is the second straight year the Bengals have gone for a receiver in the sixth round. They drafted Dez Briscoe last year but he was one of the final cuts of the preseason. He signed with Tampa Bay and caught a touchdown in the season finale against New Orleans.[/quote]

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/04/30/sixth-round-ryan-whalen-wr-stanford/

[quote name='lslmustang' timestamp='1304194949' post='989527']
This one certainly made me scratch my head...

We do have some of our young receivers only signed for one more year...
[/quote]

We have picked these kind of guys in late rounds pretty much every year I
can remember.

[quote]
Height: 6-1 1/8
Weight: 202
Speed: 4.59
Arm: 30
Hand: 9
Wingspan: 71 3/8
Birthdate: 07/26/1989
Hometown: Alamo, CA
Grade: 5.19

Event Ht Wt Hand Arm Wing Wonderlic 40 yard BP BJ VJ 20s 60s 3 Cn
03/02/2011 Combine 6-1 1/8 202 9 30 71 5/8 32 4.59 18 10'3" 38 1/2 4.10 11.32 6.68

Notes: Also excelled in basketball as a California prep. Walked on and saw limited time in all 12 games as a true freshman in 2007 (wore jersey No. 38). Started 7-of-12 games in ’08, recording 41 receptions for 508 yards (12.4-yard average) and a touchdown. Was the Cardinal’s leading receiver for a second consecutive season in ’09 when he started 10-of-13 games (gave way to a tight end in non-starts) and posted 57-926-4 (16.2). In ’10, started 10-of-11 games in which he played and caught 41-439-2 (10.7). Dislocated his left elbow against Wake Forest and missed two games. Team captain.

Positives: Can escape the jam at the line. Disciplined route runner with boundary awareness. Identifies coverages and settles into soft spots in zone. Reliable with clutch hands. Tough, effective inside receiver. Surprising leaping ability (38½-inch vertical). Takes pride in blocking — is aggressive and works to sustain and finish. Played in a pro-style offense. Strong personal and football character — mature, coachable leader who cares about football.

Negatives: Very short arms. Average athlete — not as explosive as workout numbers suggest and is not a playmaker (just seven career TDs). Average speed and acceleration. Limited run-after-catch ability — not creative or elusive with the ball in his hands.

Summary: Smart, tough, dependable overachiever who will have to earn his way on special teams and fend for a job in the slot.

NFL projection: Late draftable prospect.

[/quote]

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/ryan-whalen-8/

[quote][size="5"][b]Whalen catches Bengals' eye at 6; CB in 7[/b][/size]

Updated: 5:40 p.m.

People doubted Ryan Whalen for a number of years. He arrived at Stanford without a scholarship. He supposedly didn’t own speed or separation to become an elite receiver.

Yet, he led the Cardinal in receiving for consecutive years and overcame an elbow injury his senior year to help push the team to an Orange Bowl victory. He’s loaded in little things, known as a strong blocker, precise route-runner and even academic all-American.

Bengals receivers coach James Urban couldn’t deny that when a player succeeds over and over again in circumstances where few believe he should, he deserves an opportunity to prove doubters wrong in the NFL.

That’s why the 6-1, 205-pound wide receiver was selected by Cincinnati with the second pick of the sixth round and No. 167 overall.

With their first of two picks in the seventh round, the Bengals went for a cornerback in 5-10, 180-pound Korey Lindsey of Southern Illinois.

“He’s one of those guys that there are so many superlatives on his résumé of quality of character and things that he has accomplished that it sort of hurts your head,” Urban said of Whalen. “He’s the kind of kid you can build a winning organization around and a great guy to have in your meeting room and, obviously, on your team.”

Whalen caught passes from highly-touted quarterback Andrew Luck each of the past three seasons and led the team with 41 receptions for 508 yards his sophomore year and 57 receptions for 982 yards as a junior. He likely would have produced a threepeat as leading receiver if not for an elbow injury keeping him out of three games early in his senior season. Despite missing time, he still finished second with 41 receptions for 439 yards.

Yards and catches are nice stat stuffers, but what sold the Bengals on Whalen was the matter with which they were compiled. Whalen showcased elite consistency and intelligence in a complex pro-style system under head coach Jim Harbaugh.

“He is one of those guys that does it the way you want it done,” Urban said. “When you watch enough of the film you see, man that was a 14-yard comeback, next time he runs it, it’s 14 yards. Next time? Fourteen yards. You see obviously he’s very coachable and does it the right way.”

Whalen will be given an opportunity to play in both the slot and the outside, as well as on special teams, according to Urban. His size and history of productivity stand among the characteristics in his corner.

“(Consistency) is what separates guys,” said Whalen, who ran a 4.53 40-yard dash at the combine with a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump. “A lot of guys have talent at this level. Everyone is good. I think the attention to detail and little things and making catches and getting open when your team is counting in you is important.”

Urban noticed the timing of when Whalen got open and trust Luck saw in him as a reason the Stanford wideout was targeted late in the draft.

“They spread the ball around pretty good,” Urban said. “But it sure seemed like on third-and-6 who they were looking at. It sure seemed like when they needed a big completion, he would show up.”

Whalen is a candidate to make the sixth and what could be an important final receiver spot as Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell move into the last years of their deals.

If The Ocho also in the last year of his deal doesn't return, the spot could line up for 2011 with Simpson, Caldwell, A.J. Green, Jordan Shipley, Quan Cosby and possibly Whalen.

[/quote]

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Whalen-catches-Bengals-eye-at-6-CB-in-7/277f3606-3544-45c7-971e-14ba72448886

[quote][size="5"][b]Round 6 Transcripts[/b][/size]
Posted 1 hour ago

WIDE RECEIVERS COACH JAMES URBAN

Initial comments:
JU: “I’m very excited announce our pick of Ryan Whalen. He’s a tough, physical player with good size. He runs good routes and blocks well. He plays the game the way you want it played. This kid is a winner. He’s the kind of kid you can build a winning organization around. He’s the kind of guy you want in your meeting room and on your team.”

How much did you look at last year’s tape because of injuries this year?
JU: “We looked at all of it. He had an elbow injury. He’s been their go-to guy the last two years and has been productive. They spread the ball around pretty good and that quarterback is a heck of a player. They do a great job with that offense. On third and six, they were looking at him. It sure seemed like when they needed a big completion, he would show up. He started showing up more and more that way.”

Is he more of a slot receiver?
JU: “I think he can play both. They moved him around and we’ll certainly look at him for both positions. I think he has the ability to do both. He’s six foot one and 205 pounds. I think he has a chance to do both. Given his makeup and the way he plays the game, we’ll see if he can play on special teams for Coach Darrin Simmons.”

Does he compare to a Jordan Shipley-type receiver?
JU: “He’s bigger. Jordan is quick in and out of breaks. He’s not nearly the quick twitch guy that Jordan is. He’s one of those guys that does it the way you want it done. When you watch enough film, you see he’s very consistent. He’s very coachable and does it the right way. He’s an academic all-American. I believe he was a walk-on and earned a scholarship. He’s one of those guys with so many superlatives on his resume that it kind of hurts your head.”

Is his elbow OK now?
JU: “Yes. Everything is good to go and he’s excited to be a Bengal.”

You have some pretty good wide receivers now with A.J. (Green) and Ryan (Whalen):
JU: “Real good additions. We’re very excited. Obviously you guys met Andy (Dalton) earlier, so we’re excited about that.”

Are you surprised at all that you get another receiver?
JU: “There were all kinds of models we talked about. I’m not surprised, but I was hoping that we’d be able to get another. He was one of the guys that we had in mind and we were hoping to get him in this area of the draft. We’re excited to have him and for him to become a Cincinnati Bengal.”

You were in Ft. Worth for Andy Dalton’s workout last week. What was it like going through everything with him?
JU: “Actually, quite a few of his teammates showed up to work out with him, including four wide receivers, a tight end and a center. I was primarily with the wide receivers and conveying what kind of routes we wanted them to run and those kinds of things. So, it was great working with him from my end. They were running our routes, things we wanted to see them run — not things that they’ve run. We’d say, ‘This is going to be a 12-yard in-route with five-hitch timing.’ And then Andy would throw it in five-hitch timing — it was great that way.”

His anticipation and delivery were all there?
JU: “Absolutely. Those are great strengths of his.”

Does he remind you of (Philadelphia Eagles backup quarterback) Kevin Kolb in any way?
JU: “There are some similarities there. Both are great leaders. There are definitely some comparisons there.”

RYAN WHALEN

You had some ups and downs during your senior year with both injuries and success …
RW: “I got injured the third game of the season, so I missed that game and the next two games. But I was able to come back and finish the season strong and have a great run at the Orange Bowl. And right now I couldn’t be feeling better. So to have this chance, a childhood dream come true, to get drafted into the NFL to play for the Bengals, I’m just sky-high right now. Looking back, it’s been a wonderful journey.”

You were a walk-on, correct?
RW: “Yes.”

What were your expectations going to Stanford as a walk-on? You couldn’t have expected just a few years ago to be in your current position, right?
RW: “I expected to play and be a starter. Those were my goals. I wanted to compete. I just worked hard — as hard as I can — and was given the opportunity. That’s what I’m excited to do — to have a chance to compete and have a chance to play. I’ll do everything I can to try and get there.”

How much do you think playing for your college coach, Jim Harbaugh, prepared you for what you will encounter in the NFL?
RW: “I think it definitely prepared me in terms of what we did offensively. We had a pretty complex offensive scheme. We did a lot of things, in terms of experience with an extensive playbook, and in terms of just multiple things on offense. And he brought the mindset that he brought, and how it was from someone who had played in the NFL. Hopefully all of those things will prepare me, but I know I have a lot to learn.”

Wide receivers coach James Urban mentioned how you are very consistent and pay great attention to detail. How important are those things to you?
RW: “Yeah, I think it’s very important. I think that’s what separates guys. A lot of guys have talent at this level, everyone’s good. I’ve been paying attention to the details and little things and being consistent, making catches and getting open. When your team is counting on you, it’s important.”

Have you seen much of Andy Dalton?
RW: “No, just on TV. But I’ve heard nothing but good things, and I’m excited to have the chance to get to play with him.”

[/quote]

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Round-6-Transcripts/c79fd852-46a6-4a01-b45d-a0ddde49409c

[size="5"][color="#990000"][b]Ryan Whalen Selected by Cincinnati in the Sixth Round[/b][/color]
[/size]
[b]Whalen Gives Stanford its Most Draft Selections Since 2006[/b][img]http://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/spacer.gif[/img][img]http://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/spacer.gif[/img][img]http://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/spacer.gif[/img][img]http://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/spacer.gif[/img]
[b]April 30, 2011[/b]

[b]STANFORD, Calif. - [/b]The Cincinnati Bengals selected wide receiver [url="http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/whalen_ryan00.html"][color="#990000"]Ryan Whalen[/color][/url] with the second pick in the sixth round (167th overall) during today's NFL Draft Draft being held at New York City's Radio City Music Hall.

Whalen becomes the first Stanford wide receiver selected in the NFL Draft since [url="http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_teyo00.html"][color="#990000"]Teyo Johnson[/color][/url] was taken in the second of the 2003 Draft by the Oakland Raiders.

Whalen joins Sione Fua (Carolina Panthers; 3rd Round), [url="http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/marecic_owen00.html"][color="#990000"]Owen Marecic[/color][/url] (Cleveland Browns; 4th) and [url="http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sherman_richard00.html"][color="#990000"]Richard Sherman[/color][/url] (Seattle Seahawks; 5th) to give Stanford its highest number of draft selections since 2006.

Whalen, who served as one of the team's tri-captains this past season along with Marecic and Fua, earned honorable mention All-Pac-10 honors after finishing the season as Stanford's second leading receiver with 39 receptions for 415 yarsd and two touchdowns, despite missing two games with injury.

He caught 28 passes for 284 yards over Stanford's final six games of the season, including a season-best six reception effort against Washington State.

Whalen, who orginally made the team as a walk-on in 2007 before working his way into scholarship status, led Stanford in receiving in 2008 and '09. He earned honorable mention all-conference honors as a junior after catching 57 passes for 926 yards and four touchdowns. He averaged 16.2 yards per reception and 71.2 receiving yards per game, fifth best in the Pac-10.

After catching just one pass as a freshman in 2007, Whalen caught a team high 41 passes for 508 yards and one touchdown in 2008.He finished his Stanford career with 138 receptions for 1,860 yards and seven touchdowns.

[url="http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/043011aad.html"]http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/043011aad.html[/url]

I think Whalen will surprise us all. If Chad is truly gone then we have Green, Simpson, Shipley, Caldwell,Cosby, and Whalen. On certain weeks he will push caldwell in making the game day roster. The kid runs great routes, playes special team, and CAN BLOCK.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1304195413' post='989538']
Probably another good comparison is John Standeford, who was a pass catching machine at Purdue and in Gruden's UFL system.
[/quote]

always thought that guy would find a place somewhere in the pros... slow, but incredibly sure handed.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1304258535' post='989785']
He's built very well. Yes going to be a guy that can withstand linebacker hits every week. Reminds me of Jordy Nelson.
[/quote]

Jordy Nelson? Nelson is much bigger and can scoot after a catch....seperates well too/
I dont see any comparison at all.
He's a very late round pick..
specail teamer possibly...

[quote name='claptonrocks' timestamp='1304306912' post='990011']
Jordy Nelson? Nelson is much bigger and can scoot after a catch....seperates well too/
I dont see any comparison at all.
He's a very late round pick..
specail teamer possibly...
[/quote]

This pick was initially a bit of a head scratcher for me, but on further review I like a few things about it:

1. He's big enough and fast enough (and smart/tough) to be a good special teamer.

2. I like that he's a high character guy. I'd rather these late round picks that probably won't play a lot be great guys as opposed to in the past taking guys like Reggie McNeal in these spots (who ended up being a guy always out partying with Odell and Chris Henry). Whalen should be a real asset in the WR meeting room and will be a good influence on the other young guys.

3. He reminds me a bit of Kevin Walter who we picked up in the 7th round in 2003. Maybe he's a little shorter but he catches everything and just has a knack for making plays.

They picked him so Shipley and Coffman would have somebody to listen to Tim Mcgraw with...honestly dude makes plays AND walked on to Stanfords team, which means he got accepted to Standford on academics and not because of his athletic prowess. So he is a hard worker and very smart dude, he should excel in Gruden's system.

Archived