ESPN "speculates" Carson to Seattle

[quote name='Bengalee' timestamp='1304273871' post='989856']
[b]Out here on the radio, you'd think Carson Palmer was chopped liver.[/b] They'd be upset with a 3rd round pick, they'd be angry with a 2nd, and they'd be unforgiving about a 1st round pick.
[/quote]

Same here except people want top draft picks and nothing less.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1304260803' post='989799']
I'd let him retire before I'd trade him for next to nothing.
[/quote]

[quote name='tybo' timestamp='1304262059' post='989811']
Anything less than a second rounder I would rather let him retire.
[/quote]

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1304278366' post='989866']
either get a really good deal or let him rot
[/quote]

[b]I agree. The Bengals now hold the cards. If I was Mike Brown I would announce that he can [size="4"]ONLY[/size] be had for a 2012 1st round draft pick. If not, then let his washed up ass retire - cause this is Andy's show now![/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1304282948' post='989878']

[b]I agree. The Bengals now hold the cards. If I was Mike Brown I would announce that he can [size="4"]ONLY[/size] be had for a 2012 1st round draft pick. If not, then let his washed up ass retire - cause this is Andy's show now![/b]
[/quote]

But what if his washed up ass doesn't retire?

[quote name='CTA513' timestamp='1304283288' post='989879']
But what if his washed up ass doesn't retire?
[/quote]
[b]Then you cut his ass 1 day before the start of the season - after telling Moch to dislocate his knee in mini camp. :pimp: [/b]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1304262398' post='989816']
thanks. though the above two posters make good points that Kolb wouldn't likely sign for only the two years the Bengals would probably want him. He'll want a long-term deal.

He's in the last year of his contract so I'd think the Bengals would want someone for at least 2 years, or want more for Carson than just a 1yr starter and a 4th rounder.
[/quote]

offer him 3 years, then. that's doable. tell him there's no commitments to anyone. the best guy gets the starter's role. "are you that guy...do you have that confidence in yourself?" if he can't agree with those principals, we don't want him around anyway.

we all know dalton isn't going to be ready for at least a year, at best. why give a mediocre 2nd round pick the supposed keys to the city? there's no shame in being a 2nd round back up, if the established guy is clearly better than you. if carson came back, dalton would likely sit for a while in that #2 role, anyway. he needs to wrap his mind around that going forward. all this talk about him being the next drew brees amounts to bullshit. he's not drew brees... he's mr. unproven andy dalton.

[quote name='Bengalee' timestamp='1304273871' post='989856']
Out here on the radio, you'd think Carson Palmer was chopped liver. They'd be upset with a 3rd round pick, they'd be angry with a 2nd, and they'd be unforgiving about a 1st round pick.
[/quote]

then tell those unrealistic dickheads out there to be happy with matt hassleback...no problem. this won't be a fucking fire sale.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1304284004' post='989884']
we all know dalton isn't going to be ready for at least a year[/quote]
[b]No we don't!

Marvin seems to think he can start right away. This is a 5 year starter with a record of 42-7.

He played 4 more years of D1 college football than Cam Newton did and was also undefeated last year.

Let him learn on the job, he'll be fine with the new west coast run first offense and better defense.

+ Kolb is a scrub. [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1304284429' post='989890']
[b]No we don't!

Marvin seems to think he can start right away. This is a 5 year starter with a record of 42-7.

He played 4 more years of D1 college football than Cam Newton did and was also undefeated last year.

Let him learn on the job, he'll be fine with the new west coast run first offense and better defense.

+ Kolb is a scrub. [/b]
[/quote]

temper your enthusiasm and you won't end up so disappointed, early on. and haven't you learned by now that black jesus (no, not you...the other one) will say damned near anything to get himself to the next question by the interviewer? don't assume he believes all that BS he puts out. the majority of it is soundbites.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1304284004' post='989884']
offer him 3 years, then. that's doable. tell him there's no commitments to anyone. the best guy gets the starter's role. "are you that guy...do you have that confidence in yourself?" if he can't agree with those principals, we don't want him around anyway.

[b]we all know dalton isn't going to be ready for at least a year, at best. why give a mediocre 2nd round pick the supposed keys to the city?[/b] there's no shame in being a 2nd round back up, if the established guy is clearly better than you. if carson came back, dalton would likely sit for a while in that #2 role, anyway. he needs to wrap his mind around that going forward. all this talk about him being the next drew brees amounts to bullshit. he's not drew brees... he's mr. unproven andy dalton.
[/quote]

I disagree. If we resign Cedric and get a labor deal before training camp, I think Dalton has a 50-75% chance of being the starter day 1. They'll run something similar to the '09 offense, and try to manage Dalton to about 25 passes a game, with a lot of play action, a moving pocket, and a big heaping dose of Cedric. Dalton is really smart, and really savvy. This will be the Jets with Sanchez year 1.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1304261072' post='989801']
I also wouldn't be surprised that, if in fact this is true, that its actually a three team trade.

ie.:

Seattle gets Carson Palmer

Philly gets Seattle's first round pick in 2012 (likely a mid-first)

Cincinnati gets Kevin Kolb and Seattle's 4th rounder.

I don't love Kolb, but I like him and think he can be a very good starter in the league. I also think he'd benefit from a running game he never had in Philly where he had to throw it 40 times a game in the starts he made.
[/quote]

If Seattle was willing to give up a 1st and 4th pick for Carson, I'd rather take the picks and go with Andy Dalton as the starter than let Philly get the 1st round pick and take Kolb. I doubt this would be the case. My guess is that we have an agreed upon trade with Seattle for a conditional pick. Maybe a second round pick next year and if he takes them to the playoffs and/or throws for 4000 yards, it gets upgraded to a 1st round pick. This seems a more likely scenario.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1304284429' post='989890']
[b]No we don't!

+ Kolb is a scrub. [/b]
[/quote]

agree about Kolb...what the fuck makes him so valuable? What are his career stats that would make any team so enticed by this guy..cuz he throws a good ball?
Hell so did Jeff George!

This is a new era with the Dalton Gang moving the chains..
Get a vet backup if they must but let this be Andy's team now...

I made the comment after the draft that Seattle did not take a QB and I could see Pete Carrol going after Palmer. There are a few other teams that need a QB too. I think we hold the cards as we now have a new QB----that we hope will become a franchise QB. Let Seattle, Arizona, Miami, etc start a bidding war and see what Carson can bring us. I am hoping for a 1st roung pick plus contingent picks based on performance.

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1304283641' post='989882']
[b]Then you cut his ass 1 day before the start of the season - after telling Moch to dislocate his knee in mini camp. :pimp: [/b]
[/quote]

Then you guarantee his salary.

[quote name='TrustNMarvin' timestamp='1304308914' post='990024']
Oh the irony if Hasselbeck, student of the Holmgren/Gruden/Reid west coast offense, stop gaps in Cincy after Carson is traded to The Emerald City.
[/quote]

wouldn't surprise me. I don't think they still live in town (maybe his grandparents), but Matt's dad grew up in Cincinnati and played at LaSalle.

Archived