OK...If it takes 3 years to determine draft grade

Rivers--D top 10 pick who is not only NOT a difference maker, but is AT BEST solid--more like mediocre in my book--a 3rd or 4th value from this pick

Simpson--D may pan out but next to nothing from him in 3 years. Watch him break out in his contract year this year and command a #1 or #2 salary after earning a 2nd rd pay for UFA production.

Sims--B+ Has been solid addition to DL a good value

Caldwell--B+ decent production for the last pick of the 3rd rd.

Collins--B+ has not started much but has stepped in and saved the day when called upon at LT and RT.

Shirley--D+ worth a shot for his measurables at this slot. Still not out of the picture after being on IR last year.

Lynch--c+ decent until getting hurt. Still in the league I believe. OK value for the 6th rd.

Sherry, Craig, Urrutia--F none of them actually had a shot at the big league.

Overall, C- generously

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1304282718' post='989877']
Rivers--D top 10 pick who is not only NOT a difference maker, but is AT BEST solid--more like mediocre in my book--a 3rd or 4th value from this pick

Simpson--D may pan out but next to nothing from him in 3 years. Watch him break out in his contract year this year and command a #1 or #2 salary after earning a 2nd rd pay for UFA production.

Sims--B+ Has been solid addition to DL a good value

Caldwell--B+ decent production for the last pick of the 3rd rd.

Collins--B+ has not started much but has stepped in and saved the day when called upon at LT and RT.

Shirley--D+ worth a shot for his measurables at this slot. Still not out of the picture after being on IR last year.

Lynch--c+ decent until getting hurt. Still in the league I believe. OK value for the 6th rd.

Sherry, Craig, Urrutia--F none of them actually had a shot at the big league.

Overall, C- generously
[/quote]

Basically agree with your grades except that I'd bump Simpson up just a little to C- or C since he still has a chance to be a good player. I might also knock Sims and Caldwell down to B or B-. I know they were only 3rd rounders, but they've made pretty minimal impacts.

Overall, I'd go D+. Rivers really kills the grade since LB is a low value position and he has made almost zero impacts plays in 3 seasons.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1304288872' post='989918']
Rivers - B
Simpson D- not meant to indicate future returns but he has been a flop so far.
Sims- c+
Caldwell - C+ last second game winners count for something
Collins - C hasn't done much

Overall a C+
[/quote]

I can agree with these grades... I love Simpson but we can't give him any higher of a grade for 3 good games in 3 years...

I do believe that Simpson, Collins and Caldwell can still be really good parts of this team..

Rivers hasn't been great and maybe doesn't deserve the B grade for a top ten pick... He is solid though...

I think last years draft is going to be the one that we rave about for years and the first two picks of this years will probably be the cornerstones of the offense for a long time...

I'd give it a D. A top 10 linebacker should be in the probowl. A 2nd round receiver should be starting by year two. Should have taken DeSean Jackson at the spot.

A draft where the only starter is a top 10 pick and he's undistinguished is undeniably a poor draft.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1304291574' post='989927']
I can agree with these grades... I love Simpson but we can't give him any higher of a grade for 3 good games in 3 years...

I do believe that Simpson, Collins and Caldwell can still be really good parts of this team..

Rivers hasn't been great and maybe doesn't deserve the B grade for a top ten pick... He is solid though...

I think last years draft is going to be the one that we rave about for years and the first two picks of this years will probably be the cornerstones of the offense for a long time...
[/quote]

Rivers is just getting Justin smith treatment. You can already go through that top 10 and find busts. Rivers will start and play well as long as his body lasts him.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1304297684' post='989961']
Rivers is just getting Justin smith treatment. You can already go through that top 10 and find busts. Rivers will start and play well as long as his body lasts him.
[/quote]

I agree... I am not complaining about him... he just hasn't been super awesome or anything...
he is a good solid player.... he isn't ever going to hurt the defense....

[quote name='TrustNMarvin' timestamp='1304308343' post='990022']
Regardless of the situation, you have to hope a top-10 LB has more of an impact than Rivers has thus far.
[/quote]

I do not think the 08 draft was one of the better Marvin era drafts. Rivers is a decent LB, but not what most would expect for a top 10 pick. However, if you look back at that draft, it was not good for linebackers. Jerod Mayo was drafted after Rivers and they were the only two 1st round LB's. Tennessee did get Chris Johnson after us in the first round of 08. However, overall, the first round after the Bengals has not produced much IMO.

[quote name='TrustNMarvin' timestamp='1304311044' post='990037']
Without looking it up, recent memory suggests high first round LBs are not "good value".
[/quote]

Definitely seems true. A couple years ago a lot of people here had their fingers crossed for Curry to drop to us. He didn't but has done next to nothing in Seattle (not that Andre Smith has been any better).

It is interesting to go back and look at the draft day threads from years past. Here is one from 2008 with Black Jesus celebrating the awesomeness of the draft (some things never change, haha):

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=42083

depends if you are grading on jaded fan expectations or based on reality of the player chosen....

rivers is fine, a solid starter, he is in on everything, he isnt ray lewis, but only ray lewis is ray lewis...

being a top 10 pick and a LB people expect a mega star... a solid sure tackling smart starting lb for probably 10 years is a really good value in any round at any pick..

rivers has had SHIT playing next to him, had an injury set back, 77 tackles from an OLB is solid, he also gets into a few pass deflections here and there...

he is always around the ball, he is rarely sent in to blitz, not sure what you are looking for from an OLB playing next to the air guitar king...

Is it Rivers or the fact 4-3 backers get the snub over 3-4 backers? And crazy draft expectations. I think at least two guys from that top 10 are Floundering.

Not s ure what the view of Howe Long Jr and Dorsey have been.

Then u got a couple franchise dudes in Long and Ryan.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1304318556' post='990063']
depends if you are grading on jaded fan expectations or based on reality of the player chosen....

rivers is fine, a solid starter, he is in on everything, he isnt ray lewis, but only ray lewis is ray lewis...

being a top 10 pick and a LB people expect a mega star... a solid sure tackling smart starting lb for probably 10 years is a really good value in any round at any pick..

rivers has had SHIT playing next to him, had an injury set back, 77 tackles from an OLB is solid, he also gets into a few pass deflections here and there...

he is always around the ball, he is rarely sent in to blitz, not sure what you are looking for from an OLB playing next to the air guitar king...
[/quote]

Not true...I don't think anyone expected the next HOF LB. But at least a guy that offenses have to account and gameplan for. Rivers is neither. Solid LBs come in rds 2 and beyond. Standouts should come from Rd 1. Probowlers should come from top 10. These are realistic expectations for anyones draft, not just Bengals. He just wasn't good value for pick. If we had drafted him in rd 3, I'd say we got a great pick. The only standout or game altering plays that come from his position only happen when Brandon JOhnson is on the field.

I love the idea of this thread. I wonder what I originally posted about these dudes.

You should start a look back thread as well as a time capsule thread for each draft. Let's get everyone's on the record opinion of the picks. Then go back and make fun.

Considering we could have had Mayo instead, it's hard to give Rivers a good grade.

He doesn't suck, but he's not a playmaker. He's not even a 3-down LB. I would AT LEAST expect a guy taken in the top 10 to be a 3-down LB.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1304318556' post='990063']

[/quote]
Well, using your logic, Big Daddy was a good pick and Justin Smith a great one. Solid starters, in on everything etc..

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1304354658' post='990214']
Well, using your logic, Big Daddy was a good pick and Justin Smith a great one. Solid starters, in on everything etc..
[/quote]

On the other hand, by your logic Carson was a total bust. I didn't see Big Daddy much but I'd give Justin a B+. He let us forget
about that position and work on others for what, 8 years?

If all top 10 players were hall of famers, it would be crammed pretty full by now.

Right now the '08 draft looks like crap, but I think some of these guys have not reached their full potential yet. Maybe it was the coaches or maybe it was the players, but I have a feeling that Simpson and Collins are going to contribute quite a bit this year.

Rivers is solid, but like Jason said he should at least be an every down LB.

Sims was my favorite pick that year, and he has been a disappointment to me. I'd love to see him flash the potential that I saw out of him in college.

It is possible that we have 5 guys from that draft that are either starters or play in a regular rotation (Simpson, Caldwell, Rivers, Collins, Sims), and if that happens it will turn a crappy draft into a pretty solid one.

Ive been a huge supporter of Simpson since he was drafted.
He played on an offense similar to what Newton played on at Auburn...playground drawups..

He's supposedly a hard worker but going from playground to the NFL takes time.
I think we got a glimps of what this kid can do in the future...

Id love for him to start opposite AJ with Shipley in the slot.....alot of talent there..
Im glad the Bengals drafted him and look forward to a big year from him.

[b][u]GRADE: D[/u][/b]

[b]Cincinnati Bengals:[/b] OLB Keith Rivers, the No. 9 pick, has yet to make an impact, but at least he's started 33 games. The production from WRs Jerome Simpson (Round 2) and Andre Caldwell (Round 3) has been spotty at best. Third-round DT Pat Sims is best known for being lured offsides last season by Saints QB Drew Brees on fourth down with 34 seconds left in a December game, a penalty which led to the game-winning touchdown on the next play.

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-05-08-2008-draft-grades_N.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-05-08-2008-draft-grades_N.htm[/url]

Archived