OT: Tressel Resigns

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1307135825' post='995924']
Actually it wasn't in the scholarship papers back then. The NCAA is selling images of historical football and basketball teams and keeping all the revenues without paying royalties to the players. That's what Ed O'Bannon is suing over. It's also cheesy to make minors sign away their image rights and royalties in the first place. Since the NCAA didn't give them anything they weren't getting already when the clause was added, it's probably unenforceable.

I'd imagine Terrelle Pryor and other star players are perfectly willing to give up their athletic scholarships if it meant being free of NCAA restrictions. Pryor's father is a paraplegic and Posey's father is dead. They both probably qualify for enough need based aid to pay their way without the football scholarship. So don't act like the university is doing them some huge favor. It's more the other way.
[/quote]

He doesnt need to accept the scholarship. HE can walk on.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1307138289' post='995926']
He doesnt need to accept the scholarship. HE can walk on.
[/quote]

He can't, that's why the NCAA's rule prohibiting walk on football players from receiving need based aid is so obnoxious. Consider an ideal student athlete, who studies diligently, plays a sport, perhaps works a job when his sport isn't in season, etc. If that student receives need based aid, either in the form of a tuition discount (most students don't pay list price for tuition nowdays) or in the form of Federal grants or loans, he isn't eligible to play football or basketball. The NCAA has that rule to prevent schools from putting athletes on regular financial aid and avoiding the scholarship limits. The rule pretty much makes everything the NCAA says about athletes being regular students a lie.

A guy like Pryor could easily pay his own way by working part time as a car salesman, but the NCAA is all about keeping the athletes poor and compliant.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1307150320' post='995935']
He can't, that's why the NCAA's rule prohibiting walk on football players from receiving need based aid is so obnoxious. Consider an ideal student athlete, who studies diligently, plays a sport, perhaps works a job when his sport isn't in season, etc. If that student receives need based aid, either in the form of a tuition discount (most students don't pay list price for tuition nowdays) or in the form of Federal grants or loans, he isn't eligible to play football or basketball. The NCAA has that rule to prevent schools from putting athletes on regular financial aid and avoiding the scholarship limits. The rule pretty much makes everything the NCAA says about athletes being regular students a lie.

A guy like Pryor could easily pay his own way by working part time as a car salesman, but the NCAA is all about keeping the athletes poor and compliant.
[/quote]

You say 2 different things in your statement....

1. The NCAA does it so that they can keep scholarship limits
2. The NCAA does it to keep them poor and compliant

The solution would seemingly be to roster limits. No reason a team can't cap at the 85. Not really sure you need walkons or you could limit it to 5. The same game is played with 70 or so players on the NFL roster.

Thats a strange rule and seems to limit walkons to independently wealthy kids. You can't even get financial aid? That does not seem right.

[quote name='Judge' timestamp='1307161986' post='995953']
Tressel goes down as my favorite OSU football coach so far. :]
[/quote]

A championship and nearly undefeated against Michigan? How can he not?

Too bad he was too damn dumb to follow the rules.

Dammit... :glare:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/02/ohio.state.football.fan/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Nice piece by OSU Alum and CNN producer

More info on the SI article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/ncaaf_video/2011/05/30/053011.dohrmann_tressel_resign.SportsIllustrated/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a5

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1307153146' post='995937']
You say 2 different things in your statement....

1. The NCAA does it so that they can keep scholarship limits
2. The NCAA does it to keep them poor and compliant

The solution would seemingly be to roster limits. No reason a team can't cap at the 85. Not really sure you need walkons or you could limit it to 5. The same game is played with 70 or so players on the NFL roster.

Thats a strange rule and seems to limit walkons to independently wealthy kids. You can't even get financial aid? That does not seem right.
[/quote]

The first is the NCAA's nominal explanation, the second is the actual reason. They can't come out and say they want to reduce opportunities for poor kids with athletic talent.

Once upon a time there were no limits to how many scholarships a school could offer beyond it's willingness to fund them. Schools used to have 150 or more scholarship players and total rosters above 200 players. The powerhouse programs would offer scholarships to kids who didn't fit their playing style just to prevent the kid from signing with the school's rival. When you see old references to the Big Two, Little 8, or Oklahoma and the 7 dwarves, that's what they're referring to.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1307196868' post='995989']
The first is the NCAA's nominal explanation, the second is the actual reason. They can't come out and say they want to reduce opportunities for poor kids with athletic talent.

Once upon a time there were no limits to how many scholarships a school could offer beyond it's willingness to fund them. Schools used to have 150 or more scholarship players and total rosters above 200 players. The powerhouse programs would offer scholarships to kids who didn't fit their playing style just to prevent the kid from signing with the school's rival. When you see old references to the Big Two, Little 8, or Oklahoma and the 7 dwarves, that's what they're referring to.
[/quote]

Clearly this is a much better and more equal situation.

I am trying to find that rule where athletes who walk on can't receive financial aid. I don't see it. If a coaches son plays he can get aid that way.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1307162337' post='995956']
A championship and nearly undefeated against Michigan? How can he not?

Too bad he was too damn dumb to follow the rules.

Dammit... :glare:
[/quote]

A tainted championship and a tainted nearly undefeated record against Michigan. Every win he earned at OSU is tainted. Pretty easy to get recruits when they know they can get free stuff and sell it for cash. Oh and if I go to OSU I get a sweet car, why wouldnt a player go there. Get out of here with this tressel is a great coach bullshit. He cheated at youngstown and he cheated at osu. Hes a cheater.

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1307205043' post='996001']
A tainted championship and a tainted nearly undefeated record against Michigan. Every win he earned at OSU is tainted. Pretty easy to get recruits when they know they can get free stuff and sell it for cash. Oh and if I go to OSU I get a sweet car, why wouldnt a player go there. Get out of here with this tressel is a great coach bullshit. He cheated at youngstown and he cheated at osu. Hes a cheater.
[/quote]

"I got my haterade rollin', hatin's what I do when I'm trollin'" :rolleyes:

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1307205043' post='996001']
[/quote]

only in the minds of those with an agenda.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1307220455' post='996018']
it doesn't taint anything though.
[/quote]

How does it not? You'd say barry bonds' records are tainted because he cheated. Lance Armstrong's Tour de France wins are tainted because he cheated. How is it different for Tressel and Ohio State? The school you tie your allegiance too is a fraud.

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1307292362' post='996085']
How does it not? You'd say barry bonds' records are tainted because he cheated. Lance Armstrong's Tour de France wins are tainted because he cheated. How is it different for Tressel and Ohio State? The school you tie your allegiance too is a fraud.
[/quote]

you cry a lot don't you?

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1307292362' post='996085']
[/quote]

There's a considerable difference betwen cheating within the game as Bonds did and Armstrong probably did, and merely breaking some ancillary rule. Selling memorabilia used to be fine by the NCAA or at least not prohibited. My view is that it's too much of a powergrab on the NCAA's part. Even if you think the rule is legitimate and necessary however, the players don't gain any advantage on the field because their rings are in somebody else's display case.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet so I will. Iowa had a number of players involved in selling drugs this past season, including the school's all time leading receiver. They were arrested but not sanctioned by the NCAA. It gives you a sense of the NCAA's priorities that they conducted an investigation based on players accused of selling their own property but not one based on players accused of selling narcotics. The reason of course is that OSU is a higher profile program than Iowa and they probably figured the Iowa courts would deal with the players. They didn't and some of them were in the NFL draft this year.

[url="http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Jim-Tressel-8217-s-farewell-address-A-porch-si?urn=ncaaf-wp2213"]This is why Ohio State fans[/url] will always love Tressel, even if he was a complete dumbass for not turning in Pryor and the others.

Go nearly a decade without losing to Michigan = OK in my book...

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1307295889' post='996091']
There's a considerable difference betwen cheating within the game as Bonds did and Armstrong probably did, and merely breaking some ancillary rule. Selling memorabilia used to be fine by the NCAA or at least not prohibited. My view is that it's too much of a powergrab on the NCAA's part. Even if you think the rule is legitimate and necessary however, the players don't gain any advantage on the field because their rings are in somebody else's display case.
[/quote]

Ohio State gains an advantage on the field by paying players (in a sense). Is your argument that the Yankees who pay more then the Royals don't gain an advantage on the field, after all there is a considerable difference between on the field and off the field activities.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1307363665' post='996146']
[b]Ohio State gains an advantage on the field by paying players (in a sense).[/b] Is your argument that the Yankees who pay more then the Royals don't gain an advantage on the field, after all there is a considerable difference between on the field and off the field activities.
[/quote]

the bolded is bullshit conjecture, but you knew that before you posted it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1307364158' post='996147']
the bolded is bullshit conjecture, but you knew that before you posted it.
[/quote]

The NCAA does not allow you to sell things you gain from your amateur status because it would, in a sense, be paying players. Not conjecture at all. OSU let it go on, so they gained from it. The very reason the NCAA sanctions it is so that teams are not, in a sense, paying players through awards, merchandise and other gear.

Archived