Jim Tressel resigns

Go Skins

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999

Embattled coach Jim Tressel has resigned from Ohio State.

School president E. Gordon Gee announced Tressel's departure in a letter to sent to Ohio State trustees Monday morning.

"I write to let you know that later this morning we will be announcing the resignation of Jim Tressel as head coach of the University's football program," the letter said, according to The Columbus Dispatch. "As you all know, I appointed a special committee to analyze and provide advice to me regarding issues attendant to our football program. In consultation with the senior leadership of the University and the senior leadership of the Board, I have been actively reviewing the matter and have accepted Coach Tressel's resignation.

Assistant coach Luke Fickel, who had been named to fill in for Tressel during the first five games of the 2011 season in which he was to be suspended, will take over as the interim head coach, The Dispatch reported.

"My public statement will include our common understanding that throughout all we do, we are One University with one set of standards and one overarching mission," Gee wrote in the letter, according to the Columbus newspaper. "The University's enduring public purposes and its tradition of excellence continue to guide our actions."

The news comes two weeks after Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith affirmed his support for the coach, who has led the Ohio State program for 10 seasons.

At the Big Ten spring meetings earlier this month, Smith -- while declining to discuss any details of an ongoing NCAA investigation of Tressel -- said his outlook toward the coach's position hadn't wavered.

Archived