Doc: Do you care when NFL's here?

Evidently, the lockout is close to ending. [b]There will be football. It can’t be helped.[/b]

Are you smiling?

Does the prospect of the regularly scheduled NFL thrill you? Or [b]are you like me, shrugging?[/b]

I always assumed things would get done when losing money became a possibility. Had the lockout proceeded much longer, [b]the fake games would have been in jeopardy. [/b]You know, the ones where you pay full price to see the starters for a series or two. Can’t have that. Can’t be losing money. After all, we’re million billionaires.

I could think of a billion reasons I feel no joy for the end of this little tiff, but we dont have that much time and [b]nausea isnt my preferred state.[/b] So let’s go with just a few:

1.[b] The economy stinks, still. [/b]Unemployment hovers above 9 pct, and that doesnt count the folks who’ve stopped looking. I have a family member who has been laid off two jobs in the past 18 months, and just saw the hours for Job 3 cut from 40 to 24. I have seen good and decent co-workers get the axe. I’ve been furloughed seven weeks in the past 3 1/2 years. [b]How anyone could feel anything but contempt for NFL owners is way beyond me.[/b]

(Not that the players are much better. But they didnt pick this fight.)

2. [b]Rich people spitballing over money is generally not an inspirational experience[/b]. This isn’t exactly the working man, fighting for a decent wage to feed his family.

3.[b] The Bengals. [/b]This has been the worst offseason in the history of the team. Really,[b] how excited are you for what’s to come?[/b] And lately, there have been three arrests. Combine that with the growing contempt for The Family, and are you really looking forward to football season?

I wrote months ago that the[b] best thing that could happen to the Bengals would be no season[/b]. That’d give them a breather from what’s going to be a backbreaking season, and us a breather from them. If the courts had ruled the teams couldnt keep the TV money without playing actual games, it would have been a huge kick in the financial shorts for owners, whose arrogance knows no bounds. [b]Perhaps people born into a system that guarantees their wealth, no matter the quality of their product, who have never known what it’s like to struggle to make a living, might get an education that would benefit them. [/b]Alas, that won’t be happening. Pity.

The upside is, for me anyway, that [b]The Men have some good trips.[/b]..at Denver in September, Jax in October, at Seattle and Nashville. In the Lost Decade of the 90s, the games were the penance to be paid for the trips. I’d take a 2-14 year that included a weekend in San Francisco. I’m not sure there’s any reason not to feel that way in 2011.

[b]Some people dont care about any of this. [/b]All they know is, come Sunday, they’ll be watching football. The carpet’s all paid for, God bless the TV. Fire up the Weber. Where’s my Ickey jersey?

[b]My wife is among them. She just likes watching football[/b]. Leave the complicated stuff to the lawyers. Relax and enjoy yourself. It’s just a game.

So…

[b]Where do you come down on this?[/b]

Good, bad or, like me, indifferent?

The floor is open.

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2011/07/20/the-morning-line-720/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2011/07/20/the-morning-line-720/[/url]

[b][quote]The Bengals. This has been the worst offseason in the history
of the team.[/quote]

[/b]Why do people keep saying this? Other than Carson being pussy-whipped, what has made it so bad?

We got a new OC, new WR coach, a lot of new talent. So what has made it so bad, as far as football goes?

Paul sounds so mad the NFL appears ready to prove once again why its the top sports league. To have this all resolved with no major loss of real events is just example of how this league in its entirety is able to get things done for a superior product.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1311185421' post='1001965']
[b]

[/b]Why do people keep saying this? Other than Carson being pussy-whipped, what has made it so bad?

We got a new OC, new WR coach, a lot of new talent. So what has made it so bad, as far as football goes?
[/quote]

It has been the worse offseason ever. How can you not see that?

Incompetent head coach retained after the most disappointing season in franchise history, franchise QB gone, new offensive coaching staff who was unable to have contact with their players, a long lockout, etc. etc. etc.

Why do you think this forum has had about 10 posts a day for the last 6 months?

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1311185718' post='1001969']
It has been the worse offseason ever. How can you not see that?

Incompetent head coach retained after the most disappointing season in franchise history, franchise QB gone, new offensive coaching staff who was unable to have contact with their players, a long lockout, etc. etc. etc.

Why do you think this forum has had about 10 posts a day for the last 6 months?
[/quote]

That "incompetent" HC is who raised the expectations for this organization.
And he was voted Coach of the year one short year ago. I don't think re-signing
Marvin is a bad thing. "It's a good thing."

I think the new OC is a positive. He has worked with Dalton more than any other player on the roster.
The rest is a league wide thing. So it isn't something that is exclusive to the Bengals.

I have made more than 10 posts a day myself over the last 6 months.

I'm withholding judgement on whether this is the worst offseason ever until the chaos that will be free agency becomes more clear.

And regarding the article, Doc is ONCE AGAIN doing his best wannabe Jay Marriotti without the domestic issues impersonation and failing miserably.

Yes, this entire situation has been precipitated by greed on both sides when you get down to it. And yes, the economy sucks, but the fact is that the NFL is a form of escape for pretty much everyone who likes the damned game, and I'd imagine it is a nice respite for those fans who also happen to be struggling with whatever. In other words, fuck Doc.

[b]

[/quote]

New coaches, new players, zero reps.

[quote name='saphead' timestamp='1311192039' post='1001985']
That guy is one miserable son of a bitch. I wonder if he still wears those brown sport coats with the patches on the elbows.
[/quote]

:1violin: I just had sex with Jessica Alba, but I couldn't enjoy it because the economy stinks. :1violin:

For once, I am inclined to actually answer one of Doc's blatantly leading questions:

No, Doc, I do not care.

And even if the Bengals were such a team that you would shit yourself in glee over, I still wouldn't care.

It's July. Football is the farthest thing from my mind this time of year. I'll think about it, maybe, in October. Which will give you a 3-month jump on writing your usual endless parade of acidly, depressing, please-let's-kill-ourselves, articles.

[b]

[/quote]

The offseason has been bad. Is it the worse? Don't know don't care.

Does having a GREAT or HORRIBLE offseason even matter? I say no.

There's been plenty of offseason and preseason champs to flame out. The Bengals were actually a offseason champ a year ago. The Bengals have also been the surprise team following not so notetable offseasons like 2008/09.

I judge it to be bad because it was a miserable time following a miserable season that had a preseason full of promise.

I'm not on board with Marvin being retained. But support him for no other reason than I have to or become one of those MIKEBROWN sucks types that relates anything and everything to Mike. So if Marvin has his chips in order a single offseason won't matter much in the immediate season. It's building a program and hopefully that's is what has happened here. Although, It doesn't feel like it at the current time.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1311193745' post='1001996']
For once, I am inclined to actually answer one of Doc's blatantly leading questions:

No, Doc, I do not care.

And even if the Bengals were such a team that you would shit yourself in glee over, I still wouldn't care.

It's July. Football is the farthest thing from my mind this time of year. I'll think about it, maybe, in October. Which will give you a 3-month jump on writing your usual endless parade of acidly, depressing, please-let's-kill-ourselves, articles.
[/quote]

So, several games in, you'll finally start thinking about football?

That makes a lot of sense...

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1311195491' post='1002003']
So, several games in, you'll finally start thinking about football?

That makes a lot of sense...
[/quote]

"Thinking" was not a good choice of words. "Caring to the point of focusing" is better...which was the question in the article.

And October has always...even in the best of years...been about the time it kicks in for me.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1311196509' post='1002005']
"Thinking" was not a good choice of words. "Caring to the point of focusing" is better...which was the question in the article.

And October has always...even in the best of years...been about the time it kicks in for me.
[/quote]

Kind of strange then that you spend so much time on a football forum. I would think most people here are pretty passionate about the game, and would tell you the start of football season is one of the highlights of their year.

I disagree with Le Tigre. Not that he doesn't feel that way personally. I think the intensity and importance from game 1 is a big factor in what drives the popularity of the NFL.

I know I have read/listened/participated in the "must win" debates and the calendar month was September.

IMO, NFL has done a great job of creating a meaningful regular season and creating true rivalaries.

[quote name='saphead' timestamp='1311192039' post='1001985']
That guy is one miserable son of a bitch. I wonder if he still wears those brown sport coats with the patches on the elbows.
[/quote]

Only when he's not wearing his horsehair shirt or rolling in ants. Gotta be frustrating for him, knowing that no matter how much he shits on the Bengals he still can't get hired by ESPN. :(

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1311234043' post='1002080']
Doc should find a new occupation. All he does is write about how miserable his job makes him.
[/quote]

In before someone equally miserable defending him for "telling it like it is".

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1311198399' post='1002014']
Kind of strange then that you spend so much time on a football forum. I would think most people here are pretty passionate about the game, and would tell you the start of football season is one of the highlights of their year.
[/quote]

Does time spent here equal "interest" in the upcoming NFL season? I like the board, I like the people, great discussion. I like it here regardless of the time of year.

I am happy "most people here are pretty passionate about the game...". I too, have a healthy passion for the game. It just, for me, doesn't kick in until October (usually). Sorry if that doesn't fall into the lock-step of others. And the fact I am going to be starting my 32nd year as a season ticket holder this year, should dispel any perception that I am a "casual fan".

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' timestamp='1311193232' post='1001992']
At least we hope it was the economy. :D
[/quote]

Do you mean you hope the economy was the reason I couldn't enjoy it?

Or do you mean you hope the economy was what was stinking?

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1311257523' post='1002148']
Do you mean you hope the economy was the reason I couldn't enjoy it?

Or do you mean you hope the economy was what was stinking?
[/quote]
I meant I hoped it was the economy was what was stinking. I'd imagine Jessica Alba's happy places are immaculate.

Archived