Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis Press Conference today

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1311697782' post='1003692']
Why? He doesn't gain anything by it. Unless the team starts fining him for not reporting, he doesn't lose anything by waiting. He's also free to file retirement if the team doesn't put him on the DNR list, then come out of retirement week 11 and have this season count toward fulfilling his contract.
[/quote]

I dont see how he gains anything honestly. He's the one who made the threats. He's not being traded so he needs to follow through and retire instead of playing games with the organization. That's not going to benefit him anywhere in the league. No one will respect him.

Why? He doesn't gain anything by it. Unless the team starts fining him for not reporting, he doesn't lose anything by waiting. He's also free to file retirement if the team doesn't put him on the DNR list, then come out of retirement week 11 and have this season count toward fulfilling his contract.
[/quote]

I am almost positive that you can't come out of retirement mid-season once you have filed papers...

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' timestamp='1311686893' post='1003572']
I can't wait to tune in to hear what they don't have to say.
[/quote]

Brilliance! Manual +1!

[img]http://content.screencast.com/users/sois/folders/Jing/media/dfceaf6d-074d-4654-abd7-fbff1cc48a7b/2011-07-26_0943.png[/img]

For those who couldn't listen, here is Mike Browns exact quote pertaining to Carson Palmer;

Said Brown: “I honesty like Carson Palmer. He was a splendid player for us. He is a good person. I wish him well and he has retired. That is his choice.”

“I’m not expecting him to be back. Carson signed a contract, he made a commitment. He gave us his word. We relied on his word and his commitment. We expected him to perform here. If he is going to walk away from his commitment we aren’t going to reward him for doing it.”

Nope... I don't expect Carson Palmer to play in the NFL this year at least.

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1311699427' post='1003717']
For those who couldn't listen, here is Mike Browns exact quote pertaining to Carson Palmer;

Said Brown: “I honesty like Carson Palmer. He was a splendid player for us. He is a good person. I wish him well and he has retired. That is his choice.”

“I’m not expecting him to be back. Carson signed a contract, he made a commitment. He gave us his word. We relied on his word and his commitment. We expected him to perform here. If he is going to walk away from his commitment we aren’t going to reward him for doing it.”

Nope... I don't expect Carson Palmer to play in the NFL this year at least.
[/quote]

if he truely has decided not to play this year, then he's done. there will be no coming back next year. mike's position will only be that much more cemented at that point.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1311698681' post='1003709']
I am almost positive that you can't come out of retirement mid-season once you have filed papers...
[/quote]

It may have changed with the new CBA but under the old one a player could retire and unretire when they wanted. Sometimes players who were holding out would "retire" but usually they didn't because when they unretire the team can put them on a list that keeps them off the roster for a few weeks. Players could also claim severance pay under the old CBA when they retired but could do that only once in a career.

[quote][size="6"][b]Brown not retiring about Dalton, won't trade Palmer[/b][/size]

[color="#696969"][i]By GEOFF HOBSON
Posted 42 minutes ago[/i][/color]

Bengals president Mike Brown ushered out the Carson Palmer Era Tuesday by referring to him in the past tense and enthusiastically rung in the Andy Dalton Era. He also indicated the future may very well be now with Dalton as the starter if he can handle it even as they mull veteran quarterbacks in free agency.

"We'll look for a veteran, but we have a good, young draft pick in Andy Dalton. We like him," said Brown of the second-rounder from TCU before a media gathering at the club's annual training camp luncheon.

"We think he is promising for our future," Brown said. "It won't be altogether easy for him all the time, but we're going to put him in there and if he can do it we're going to go with him. I hope he can manage it. He's a feisty guy. He's a poised young guy and I think you'll find him attractive as a person and as a player. You'll like him. Wait and see."

That's the question and why they may need some veteran experience. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said they're looking for a guy that can both start and backup and new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden has said the training camp starter may not be the Opening Day starter.

Plus, Dalton has yet to sign a deal since the Bengals were allowed to start talking to draft pick just 90 minutes before the luncheon.

The Bengals have just 15 NFL passes among Dalton, Jordan Palmer, and Dan LeFevour when they line up for the first practice Saturday at Georgetown College in Georgetown, Ky. They may have some interest in a five-year backup who knows new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden's scheme from his days in Tampa, Bruce Gradkowski, a veteran of 20 NFL starts with the Bucs and most lately with the Raiders.

Meanwhile, Brown sounded the death knell of Palmer's hopes to play at least this season and maybe beyond Tuesday when he spoke of him in the past tense. He refuses to trade him and considers him retired with four years left on a deal thought to be roughly worth $40 million.

"I'm not expecting him to be back," Brown said. "Carson signed a contract. He made a commitment. We have relied on his commitment. We expect him to perform it here. If he doesn't and walks away from his commitment, we aren’t going to reward him, for doing it."

Brown, still seemingly stunned by Palmer's trade-or-retire demand of six months ago, couldn’t hide his admiration for the man that ran his club for the past seven years, went to two Pro Bowls and quarterbacked two AFC North titles.

"I honestly like Carson Palmer. He was a splendid player for us," Brown said. "He's a good person. I wish him well and he's retired. That was his choice."[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Brown-not-retiring-about-Dalton-wont-trade-Palmer/7d2540c2-3c71-4dae-989d-b93bc4443d3e"]Bengals.com[/url]

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1311700210' post='1003728']
It may have changed with the new CBA but under the old one a player could retire and unretire when they wanted. Sometimes players who were holding out would "retire" but usually they didn't because when they unretire the team can put them on a list that keeps them off the roster for a few weeks. [b]Players could also claim severance pay under the old CBA when they retired but could do that only once in a career.[/b]
[/quote]

I might be wrong, but I thought the severance pay was for when they were cut not when they retired. If the player was cut, they could do exactly what you mentioned.

All of the negative stuff you hear about Mike Brown and how he manages this organization will always get the headlines. But if you sign a contract with him, you'd better damn well be ready to honor it. In this day and age of overpaid spoiled athletes that have never heard the word "no", he won't be pushed around.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1311701721' post='1003741']
All of the negative stuff you hear about Mike Brown and how he manages this organization will always get the headlines. But if you sign a contract with him, you'd better damn well be ready to honor it. In this day and age of overpaid spoiled athletes that have never heard the word "no", he won't be pushed around.
[/quote]

I have to admit that I like that stance. However, if he's been offered a 1st round pick for CP and doesn't do it, that hurts the team overall.

I just watched the video. Mike actually seemed almost pissed when talking about Carson's lack of commitment. He also seemed kind of defiant (for lack of a better term) when discussing Dalton. This "emotion" is in direct conflict with the cyborg that's usually involved in these pressers.

Also, his tie was crooked.

[/quote]
Yeah, and if he pulls the same stunt for 3 more years after that he will finally be an FA. HE is the one who said he would retire if he was not traded so the ball is in his court. Prove you ment what you said Carson.

I am not a fan AT ALL of starting Dalton day 1 but the reality is quickly starting to slap me up the side of the head that there really may not be any decent options left in FA. Bulger intrigues me or maybe Hasselbeck (is he available?) but if we can't grab someone decent it might as well be Andy. If we brought in Sorgi or Gradkowski I guess there could be a quick competition but I don't see upside there.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1311697302' post='1003679']
take that, carson! how's that new life working for you, asshole?
[/quote]

I'm guessing its working out fine since he has enough money banked that he doesn't have to continue working for someone he doesn't want to work for anymore.

[quote name='BengalMike' timestamp='1311702804' post='1003753']
This just shows how hypocritical the league is players with contracts are being cut at this very moment. I would love for Palmer to comeback but he wants out then get something for him. Anything else is simply idiotic.
[/quote]

Yup. If Mike Brown cuts Odom or any other Bengals player, his BS "you signed a contract, you should honor it" schtick is bupkis.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1311704289' post='1003768']
Yup. If Mike Brown cuts Odom or any other Bengals player, his BS "you signed a contract, you should honor it" schtick is bupkis.
[/quote]

I really think this is a crap argument. Outside of a great game against a used car salesman in Green Bay, Odom hasn't lived up to a contract he signed. Where as Mike has never failed to pay a bonus or just the regular salary to a player that was owed.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1311700210' post='1003728']
It may have changed with the new CBA but under the old one a player could retire and unretire when they wanted. Sometimes players who were holding out would "retire" but usually they didn't because when they unretire the team can put them on a list that keeps them off the roster for a few weeks. Players could also claim severance pay under the old CBA when they retired but could do that only once in a career.
[/quote]

I was reading Florio, who was surmising that just by not showing up, the Quitter would force MB's hand because he would still be getting paid.

My understanding is that if a player goes on the Reserve/DNP they don't get paid?

This just shows how hypocritical the league is players with contracts are being cut at this very moment. I would love for Palmer to comeback but he wants out then get something for him. Anything else is simply idiotic.
[/quote]
Think of it as getting fired for not performing good enough to warrant your salary. After all, they are employees.

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1311704659' post='1003773']
I really think this is a crap argument. Outside of a great game against a used car salesman in Green Bay, Odom hasn't lived up to a contract he signed. Where as Mike has never failed to pay a bonus or just the regular salary to a player that was owed.
[/quote]
It's not his fault the Bengals gave him that contract. No matter if he lives up to it or not..the Bengals were the ones that wanted to pay him all that money. If they cut him..they are not honoring the agreement they made to him to pay him all that money over those years.

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/videos/video-thumbnails/2011/07-July/lewis110726--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg[/img][url="http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Marvin-Lewis-Press-Conference-72611/98c14d75-9d6e-40ef-98b2-b20b89d8ad69#?id=98c14d75-9d6e-40ef-98b2-b20b89d8ad69&channelName=Recent"]
[/url][url="http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Marvin-Lewis-Press-Conference-72611/98c14d75-9d6e-40ef-98b2-b20b89d8ad69#?id=98c14d75-9d6e-40ef-98b2-b20b89d8ad69&channelName=Recent"][/url][url="http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Marvin-Lewis-Press-Conference-72611/98c14d75-9d6e-40ef-98b2-b20b89d8ad69#?id=98c14d75-9d6e-40ef-98b2-b20b89d8ad69&channelName=Recent"]

Marvin Lewis Press Conference (7/26/11)[/url]

clubSite(12:12) Posted 07/26/11

[img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/CIN/videos/video-thumbnails/2011/07-July/brownm110726--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Marvin-Lewis-Press-Conference-72611/98c14d75-9d6e-40ef-98b2-b20b89d8ad69#?id=a3e57219-2b3b-45ed-8e85-09df5517815a&channelName=Recent"]Mike Brown on Carson Palmer (7/26/11)[/url]

clubSite(1:38) Posted 07/26/11

[/quote]

how's it hypocritical? every contract mandates that you have to first make the team, before you get paid the proposed contract. that always has, and always will be up to the management of that team's discretion. nothing hypocritical at all in that. when the point in time comes where the player's talent doesn't measure up to the value or terms of that contract....a contract that the player and his agent demanded, it's the team's option to go a different way, and they're entirely in their rights in doing so.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1311704942' post='1003777']
It's not his fault the Bengals gave him that contract. No matter if he lives up to it or not..the Bengals were the ones that wanted to pay him all that money. If they cut him..they are not honoring the agreement they made to him to pay him all that money over those years.
[/quote]

MB honors every contract he signs. Players are bound by years when they sign a contract.
Owners are bound by guaranteed money. MB pays every player he signs that money or
works out a settlement. He paid Coles $7 million for one crappy season. He paid Bryant
$7 million for one practice ect, ect and so on.

To say if he cuts a player he isn't honoring a contract is asinine.

Archived