The Case Against Mike Brown

There is a lot to like about Mike Brown. He'd be a wonderful grandfather IMO, I think he has a big heart, is honest and integral (to a point). He possesses a lot of great qualities and would probably be a fine man to count as a friend.

I have only two problems with Brown, they're closely related though and they;re extremely BIG ones.

1) He is not an NFL GM and should have given up that post a long time ago. I Brown's eyes, this franchise is his legacy to his family, its the family's main (if not singular) source of wealth. He is going to maintain conrol over all financial aspects of the club down-to-and-including palyer decisions. I can't say that I really blame him He saw how his father was treated at the end in Cleveland and that probably is seared into his mind to this day.

It's still a problem though.

As a family-owner, GM and Ivy league MBA and to often it causes a conflict of interest with the Frahchise's Best Interests. I'm not saying he's clueless or knows nothing about football, but too often he's to close to the situation to make the best decisions.

Not having a training table comparable to other teams, reluctance to add the practice field and other player perks and amenities might seem minor or even petty on their own, but they (and other things) mount up and they get around the league. Mike Brown sees them as silly or frivilous and having nothing to do with FOOTBALL - these guys are paid enough, they shouldn't worry about such things that cost HIS FAMILY BUSINESS extra unnecessary money - so he pushes back.

In reality though, they are a necessity. Your competition does it and it adds extra value to their employees and prospective employees - employees you are in direct cometiton for in a VERY competitive marketplace. It is improtant. It is a vital cost of doing business, it helps you in future opportunities, it buillds your businesses brand and with it its bottom line. By penny-pinching in these areas costs when you have to replace players, coaches and other employees. It also costs you in your most mportant constituency - the customers who buy your tickets, concessions, merchandis, etc.,

When you try to land a top-tier coach or player your reputation as a skinflint costs you in the best and brightest accepting other offers and in having to pay more for the lesser replacements you do acquire. That is a HUGE longterm cost. Same when your ways sour the fanbase. For one thing, your clientel are less likely to be understanding during the lean times when you need them most. They're also less likely to believe you when charges are made against you.

Sure, many will say, hey look, it's MB's team its his business. True to an extent, but not fully in this case and it brings me to the second thing I despise about Mike Brown.

2) While, as I've already said, I believe Mike Brown to be an honest and integral man, there is one glaring time that he went against those principals in a BIG way. He went begging and threaenting for a new sadium.

Mike Brown is an Ivy League lawyer/MBA and a Conservative Republican. Big Govenment and governemnt intervention in a private business should be absolutely abhorrent to him (no matter if it is to his own benefit). Maybe for the only time in his life though, he sacrificed his principles and threatened to move the team from Cincinnati if he wasn't given a new stadium - he went to the government to INVEST in his private business. He was given the stadium - a stadium deal that was as onerousas any ever perpitrated on any municipality. A supremely bad deal for Hamilton Co. and its people. A deal that is extra harmful considering the current economy.

If you're Mike Brown, you say good for me too bad for them, I did nothing wrong, right? Not so fast Mikey, read the Devil's fine print. Even if they are not explicity listed in the contract with the County you did make a complicit agreement with the County and its residents that you would put a premium product on the line. One that would not only win and be entertaining, but would draw people downtown and provide dollars that would ripple through the local ecomony.

By Mike Brown's unwillingness to step aside, by his unwillingness to provide "perks" and a business atmosphere that makes it attractive for top players & coaches to come here, by pinching shorterm pennies at the cost of longteem dimes, Mike Brown is not living up to his end of the bargain - even if the violation is moral and not necessarily enforceable in a court of law, it is a very real obligation to a man of honor.

The solution is clear and easy. Hire a GM and step aside. A couple of playoff losses and some .500 seasons is certainly an improvement over two decases of historic ineptidtude and failure, but is not the success.that this fanchise is capable of and your partners (the citizens of Hamilton Co.), deserve. Players and coaches have come and gone in droves for nearly a quarter-century under Mike Brwon's watch and there ahs been only one constant - Mike Brown.

I'm not saying that he has to give up control. Set a firm budget and stick to it. He has to step way back from on-field operations though. Hire a competent, respected football man and let him decide who to fire, who to hire and how many scouts we need as long as he stays under budget. It's fine to stand on priciple with Carson, but MB is too emotionally invested to know the difference between dealing Palmer to give him his way and dealing Palmer because its the best thing for the franchise.

You made your deal with the Devil, Mike. Now its time to pony up your soul. Time to change the only thing that hasn't changed - you. Hire a GM. It isn't your choice, its your obligation. And if you can expect Carson Palmer to live up to his obligations, shouldn't you be willing to face up to yours?

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1311717412' post='1003953']
That would be cool if this internet post put MB over the top and he sold the team.
[/quote]

Snarkster, if you want to post stuff like this go the mikebrownsucks.com or whodeyrevolution. You might get a positive response but I think they have even given up bashing Mike although they (MBS) did give him a pretty funny award last year.

Sois, you make me laugh.

That would be cool if this internet post put MB over the top and he sold the team.
[/quote]

Mike doesn't read the internet because he can't figure out how to get it to load on his TRS-80...

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1311717174' post='1003949']
So, let me ask, do you think you're the first to come up with something like this? Mike OWNS the team. Watch his team or don't.
[/quote]

Nope, don't think I was the first by any means (and i've been saying it for a bery long time). Do I think that me posting this on a message board is going to change things tommorow. Of course not.

It's true though and it still needs to be said as often as possible. Like it or not for Brown, he does not soley own this team. He may have total owneship and control of the team legally, but morally, he took on a full partner when he extorted the stadium deal.

You may not ever be able to force change in a court of law and you may never get him to admit a moral obligationor make ia dent inh is wrinkled hide, but the pont neds to be driven home all the time. He's asked people oftern hwy he;s so unpopular. keep telling him why until he gets it. Make him as miserable as he is stubborn.

In the end, it might not make a bit of difference to Mike Brown, but sommething tells me Katie's listening

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1311717870' post='1003958']
Mike doesn't read the internet because he can't figure out how to get it to load on his TRS-80...
[/quote]

L.O.L. (*points at you*)

I had to google that to see what it was. aahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha I bet he does have one of those.

Probly has one mounted in the Honda dashboard too so he can have it on the road.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1311717870' post='1003958']
[/quote]
I heard he was getting rid of the TRS-80 because blank cassette tapes are getting hard to find...LOL.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1311718031' post='1003960']
Nope, don't think I was the first by any means (and i've been saying it for a bery long time). Do I think that me posting this on a message board is going to change things tommorow. Of course not.

It's true though and it still needs to be said as often as possible. Like it or not for Brown, he does not soley own this team. He may have total owneship and control of the team legally, but morally, he took on a full partner when he extorted the stadium deal.

You may not ever be able to force change in a court of law and you may never get him to admit a moral obligationor make ia dent inh is wrinkled hide, but the pont neds to be driven home all the time. He's asked people oftern hwy he;s so unpopular. keep telling him why until he gets it. [b] Make him as miserable as he is stubborn.[/b]

In the end, it might not make a bit of difference to Mike Brown, but sommething tells me Katie's listening
[/quote]

is that really a good way to go through life?

[/quote]

Hey, I understand its probably futile, but its no joke to me. I think that maybe what set me off today was watching Brown step up to the podium and act so indignant that Carson was not living up to his obligations, when in my mind, Brown has never lived up to his. As i've said, I like things about Mike Brown. I don't wish him nothing but the best outside his football role, buteven if it doesn't make any difference at all, it still needs to be said.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1311718373' post='1003968']
is that really a good way to go through life?
[/quote]

If the misery is of his own making then its not on me.

Like Harry Truman once said, "I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1311718577' post='1003973']
If the misery is of his own making then its not on me.

Like Harry Truman once said, "I don't give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.
[/quote]

just seems like unhealthy pent up anger to me.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1311718375' post='1003969']
Hey, I understand its probably futile, but its no joke to me. I think that maybe what set me off today was watching Brown step up to the podium and act so indignant that Carson was not living up to his obligations, when in my mind, Brown has never lived up to his. As i've said, I like things about Mike Brown. I don't wish him nothing but the best outside his football role, buteven if it doesn't make any difference at all, it still needs to be said.
[/quote]

Carson is one of the most overrated QBs in the last 10 years. He simply did not come thru and never lived up to the number 1 pick. He had one great year PERIOD. Thats it, one great year, a couple of good years and some shit.

What has this guy done? So he got us to the playoffs once and handed the ball of to Ced Benson in 2009. So what. Carson never lived up to his draft spot. He was a shitty face of this franchise. I would rather go to a funeral than watch anything with Carson Palmer talking. Dude was boring, over rated and he looked stoned half the time. I can't imagine how boring this team would have been without Chad.

[b]Fuck Carson Palmer. Mike PAID HIM STUPID MONEY AND CARSON FAILED!!!!!![/b]

Snarkster, I think you are overly generous to Mike Brown. My view is that he's fundamentally a fraud. He's no football man, regardless of who is dad was. He's basically a trust fund kid who inherited a monopoly. If another NFL team moved to Cincinnati for some reason, would anyone be a Bengals fan for very long?

The county should have forced Brown out of running the team instead of giving him PBS but he seems to have bought off one of the commissioners. Brown's treatment of the Knowltons when they owned the team and Brown supposedly was working for them is shocking. He basically embezzled their team from them.

His press conference today was of a piece with his season ending conference or the one two years ago when he thought Odell Thurman was returning. He actually said he was spiting Palmer rather than acting in the best interests of the team.

Mike Brown is a conservative republican?

Motherfuckers. This changes everything. I cannot be associated with this man in any way (other than both of us... or maybe just me?... having balls and a dick).

Jaime, where do I sign up to become a democrat?

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1311722219' post='1004006']

Motherfuckers. This changes everything. I cannot be associated with this man in any way (other than both of us... or maybe just me?... having balls and a dick).

[/quote]

PS- no ninja.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1311722236' post='1004006']

PS- no ninja.
[/quote]

I told you they were evil.

:ninja:

Archived