Donte Whitner agrees to a 2 year deal! Then he doesn't and signs with the $49ers

I just talked to my Bills die hard buddy, he says Whitner was ok, but slow. Good tackler. Hmmm. He can't be slower than Roy Williams so I guess he is an upgrade still. Just plug him in at SS and Nelson in at FS and don't worry about that position for a few seasons. They can do it.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1312165038' post='1008650']
I just talked to my Bills die hard buddy, he says Whitner was ok, but slow. Good tackler. Hmmm. He can't be slower than Roy Williams so I guess he is an upgrade still. Just plug him in at SS and Nelson in at FS and don't worry about that position for a few seasons. They can do it.
[/quote]

I think Zimmer can make something of this kid. If anybody can, ...Zimmer can do it.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1312165486' post='1008653']
I think Zimmer can make something of this kid. If anybody can, ...Zimmer can do it.
[/quote]

I think so too. This needs to happen. Time to lube up the F5 key again... I need updates!

Give Zimmer and Coyle raw athleticism and they do amazing things with it. Whitner was drafted in the top ten because he ran a smoking sub 4.4 forty. He's got the speed. Our coaches will give him the technique. I've been lusting after him. It's going to make the J. Joe loss hurt even more, because our back 5 would have been sick.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1312158244' post='1008544']
O-H?
[/quote]
S-H-I-T?

Well, its time to start praying The Comish is over his hate affair with Adam Jones.

Whitner is a good pickup and we need someone in a hurry.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1312165885' post='1008655']
Give Zimmer and Coyle raw athleticism and they do amazing things with it. Whitner was drafted in the top ten because he ran a smoking sub 4.4 forty. He's got the speed. Our coaches will give him the technique. I've been lusting after him. It's going to make the J. Joe loss hurt even more, because our back 5 would have been sick.
[/quote]

We could be viewed as a playoff team again if we would just go with our strength. Marvin is a D guy. Zimmer is a field general of a DC. Why are we expending so much effort to keep our team "id" (who we are) as a offensive team when we are in the unique opportunity of having the right coaches available to make a top 5 defense? All we need is to give Zimmer the right players and we really start winning games, ...for real!

I say bring in Favre, plug in Smith at left guard, and let all eyes turn to the offense while we quietly bring in weapons for the D.

Good news...

joereedy Joe Reedy
RT @M23David: @joereedy Scale of 1-10 chances we get Whitner? or will we lose him like every time we break in the evening with a player.>[b]9.5[/b]

Reedy is tweeting away answering near 100 questions in the past hour... some good stuff....

Whitner would be an excellent signing. He was 4th on my safety wish list behind Landry, Weddle, and Mikell. He has a lot of experience and is still young and healthy. He's a pretty good athlete and willing to tackle. It looks like we could be starting an all first round secondary with 3 of them castoffs. Zimmer can make them into cast iron.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1312171349' post='1008697']
Whitner would be an excellent signing. He was 4th on my safety wish list behind Landry, Weddle, and Mikell. He has a lot of experience and is still young and healthy. He's a pretty good athlete and willing to tackle. [b]It looks like we could be starting an all first round secondary with 3 of them castoffs. Zimmer can make them into cast iron.[/b]
[/quote]

actually, if I'm not mistaken all 4 starters would be former first rounders

Hall-Nelson-Whitner-Clements

With your nickel corner being Pacman, another former first rounder.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312171602' post='1008698']
actually, if I'm not mistaken all 4 starters would be former first rounders

Hall-Nelson-Whitner-Clements

With your nickel corner being Pacman, another former first rounder.
[/quote]

You misread what he said. 3 castoffs

Would still look good with Joseph's name still there, but it is looking more promising if the land Whittner.

CB: Hall/Ghee/Trent/Lindsay/Pender
CB: Clements/Jones/Wade/Bennett
SS: Crocker/Whitner/Wilson/Miles
FS: (R)Nelson/Sands/(T)Nelson/Lainhart

From bengals.com ....

ESPN reported Whitner was close Sunday night, but that didn't look to be the case Monday morning. The Bengals were also dealing with outside linebackers and cornerbacks in a wild and wooly ride that seemed to change instantly around the league

FUCK

[quote name='Duke Nukem' timestamp='1312206992' post='1008765']
From bengals.com ....

ESPN reported Whitner was close Sunday night, but that didn't look to be the case Monday morning. The Bengals were also dealing with outside linebackers and cornerbacks in a wild and wooly ride that seemed to change instantly around the league

FUCK
[/quote]

Mike must have slept on it again, Warren Sapp says hi.

:doh:

From bengals.com ....

FUCK
[/quote]

The Bengals probably negotiated up to Mike's limit and Whitner is asking for $10 more

From bengals.com ....

FUCK
[/quote]

He can't practice until Thursday anyway. As long as the deal gets done I don't mind waiting another day or 2.

From bengals.com ....

FUCK
[/quote]

I don't see that meaning much. Hobson doesn't seem to be saying that things have taken a step backwards as much as saying things aren't quite as close as ESPN seem to think it is. That's Hobson's MO anyway. He doesn't tend to hype any move until its confirmed.

And to be honest, if we're being frank, ESPN has a better track record of breaking Bengals news than Hobson does. So the ESPN stance very well might have been, and still is true.

Joe Reedy seemed to think it will be done by mid-day today.

Archived