Donte Whitner agrees to a 2 year deal! Then he doesn't and signs with the $49ers

Found this...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/7/31/2307229/donte-whitner-poll

Interestingly enough, even though it sounds like he didn't handle things (contract-related, his impending move to FA) too well from a maturity standpoint, the majority of folks (3:1) who took the poll wanted to see him back.

Sounded like the Bills FO didn't, though... at least, not for what he was wanting, comp-wise.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312207782' post='1008779']
And to be honest, if we're being frank, ESPN has a better track record of breaking Bengals news than Hobson does. So the ESPN stance very well might have been, and still is true.

Joe Reedy seemed to think it will be done by mid-day today.
[/quote]

It's somewhere between hilarious and embarrassing that Hobson can't report inside stuff on the Bengals and has to wait til something is reported elsewhere. I'd assume it's not because he doesn't have anyone on the inside who will speak with him but more likely fear of losing his job if he reported accurately.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1312218052' post='1008907']
It's somewhere between hilarious and embarrassing that Hobson can't report inside stuff on the Bengals and has to wait til something is reported elsewhere. I'd assume it's not because he doesn't have anyone on the inside who will speak with him but more likely fear of losing his job if he reported accurately.
[/quote]

yea I'm sure there's a lot that he KNOWS that he can't report on.

Sometimes he'll throw a nugget out there that you have to read between the lines on.

I don't know that its hilarious or embarassing. I would hope every team would be cautious of information leaking from their own website.

[quote name='Duke Nukem' timestamp='1312218498' post='1008922']
Well, the latest from Reedy ....

joereedy Joe Reedy
It's 1 p.m. No update on Whitner other than [b]both sides continue to talk[/b]. #bengals
[/quote]

Good enough for now.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312218187' post='1008912']
yea I'm sure there's a lot that he KNOWS that he can't report on.

Sometimes he'll throw a nugget out there that you have to read between the lines on.

I don't know that its hilarious or embarassing. I would hope every team would be cautious of information leaking from their own website.
[/quote]

Then why does the team have a staff reporter? Hobson was hired from the Enquirer. If they just want a PR guy to write press releases, they have other people for that.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1312220989' post='1008948']
Then why does the team have a staff reporter? Hobson was hired from the Enquirer. If they just want a PR guy to write press releases, they have other people for that.
[/quote]

His job is to report on the team. Not report rumors of what they may be doing.

Why would we want the team website to leak that kind of stuff anyway so that other teams can see it? I'd prefer that other teams have no idea which players the Bengals are trying to sign.

I don't follow any other teams site or twitter, but I can't imagine many if any operate the way you think Hobson should.

I'm sure Hobs has been schooled by his employer not to report on signings, for example, until the ink is on the paper. That's why he does the "reports from other sources... stuff." Reedy, OTOH, isn't an employee of the Bengals, so he can be a little more "reckless" if he chooses to.

There's so much BS to filter through in the Twitter universe that you could spend your whole time throwing out stuff that never comes to pass. In some respects, Twitter is a gigantic collective stream of consciousness that has to go through a huge filter. There's value in it, but there's a ton of crap, too.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1312218052' post='1008907']
[/quote]

Part of it could be to avoid pissing off beat writers and other media.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1312224245' post='1008976']
Just a hunch. Whitner answer will be coming out today before 5...
[/quote]
I checked back just to find out there is no "new news"! You promised!

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1312232716' post='1009036']
I have to say I'm surprised the Bengals aren't going after Sensabaugh,[b] as I believe he was drafted when Zim was in D.[/b]
[/quote]
This could also be a reason there not going after him. Zim may not want any thing to do with him.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1312224245' post='1008976']
Just a hunch. Whitner answer will be coming out today before 5...
[/quote]

Just have to ask, where do these hunches that some of you people come up with, come from?

You have absolutely zero involvement with the team, what in the world could happen to make you have a hunch like this?

The answer came in at about 3:47 from Geoff Hobson. It may not be the answer people were looking for but it did come in before 5.

[quote]@GeoffHobsonCin oh your right..when do you think this whitner deal will get done? If he comes here?

2 hours ago

@mcguoirk17 Don't even think was ever on radar

@mcguoirk17 If it was, it didn't go far[/quote]

In other words, don't expect to see Whitner show up in orange and black.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1312234199' post='1009047']
Just have to ask, where do these hunches that some of you people come up with, come from?

You have absolutely zero involvement with the team, what in the world could happen to make you have a hunch like this?
[/quote]

Lets go with this assumption you have and leave it at that.

If you follow the information pieces from reliable sources it made sense that at least our answer would be had today before 5. Too many people made assumptions (to include Clayton and numerous other beat writers) that someone had to clarify. Odd that Hobson would clarify so vaguely but it is a little more solid than what others have written.

I also have a few programs that perform information mapping.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1312236649' post='1009060']
So we have two reporters reporting saying that they were talking and now one saying not even on the radar. We have to have some of the worst reporters around.
[/quote]

My post to you has nothing to do with the original thread. Hands down winner of best avatar of the month. Elmo rocks on Katie's chest.

So we have two reporters reporting saying that they were talking and now one saying not even on the radar. We have to have some of the worst reporters around.
[/quote]

When was the last time that Reedy was either wrong about something or didn't clearly know it long before it happened? I think that he's pretty good - not the best writer, but very reliable w/r/t information gathering & disseminating.

[/quote]

John Clayton said they were talking too, so 3.

Archived