Votto for Bautista???

Jason

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Votto and a minor league pitching prospect for Jose Bautista?

• Yes
    • No

Just a rumor, but see the story.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/08/01/were-the-reds-working-on-something-big/

Would you do it?

As much as I like Votto, I think this might have made the team better. Gets Alonso into the lineup, and adds a hitter of similar capabilities as Joey with more power.

Diva would HATE it though.

My only problem would be that he probably only has 5 years of real good baseball left in him. Joey has probably around 8.

Who knows if Joey is going to stick around after his contract is up though. It would make us better in the short run, but long-run is debatable.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312299335' post='1009503']
why on earth would you trade votto?
[/quote]

1. Fixes LF.
2. Gives us a true cleanup hitter allowing Brandon to hit 2, and Bruce/Rolen 5 or 6
3. Gets Alonso's bat in the lineup without hurting OF defense

I guess it comes to which side of the equation you like better:

Votto+Heisy vs Alonso+Bautista

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1312301013' post='1009524']
1. Fixes LF.
2. Gives us a true cleanup hitter allowing Brandon to hit 2, and Bruce/Rolen 5 or 6
3. Gets Alonso's bat in the lineup without hurting OF defense

I guess it comes to which side of the equation you like better:

Votto+Heisy vs Alonso+Bautista
[/quote]

I just don't see how you'd give up your best, franchise player, for a player 3 years older.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1312299335' post='1009503']
why on earth would you trade votto?
[/quote]
Because there's a chance he goes to Toronto when he turns into a FA. Possibly a good chance.

• 3 weeks later...
Hell NO!!! I don't think I'd trade Votto for almost anyone at this point. I'd rather see him move to say a third base (if he is capable). He has a good arm and obviously is a good fielder. I like getting alonso into the lineup though, but we cannot and will not trade Votto imo.

It's up to the front office commitment. If they're going to pay top dollar to keep Votto, then you don't trade him.

I'm betting Votto is gone in 2 years, so if I can get an equal player at LF who's under contract longer while freeing up 1st base I do it. I think it's a pretty great trade for both sides.

Archived