Sulfsted retires

Sulfsted retires
6/13/2005 - 6-13-05, 12:15 p.m.
Homegrown product Alex Sulfsted has informed the Bengals he plans to retire. The loss of the guard-tackle drops the roster to 85 players, two over the limit for training camp next month.

Sulfsted, 27, who played at Mariemont High School in suburban Cincinnati and Miami of Ohio, ended up playing in four games with his hometown team, all last year. The Chiefs drafted him in the sixth round of the 2001 draft and he played 14 games with the 2002 Redskins, but he signed with the Bengals five times.

wow.. at 27.. appearently he felt he wasnt going to make the team already.. and bowed out gracefully instead of getting cut in a few weeks...

im sure he can find all kinds of things to do with the probably almost $500-1 mil he has made over the years...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Lucid' date='Jun 13 2005, 12:49 PM']Hmmm, strange, I can't seem to find that tidbit on bengals.com
Link please?
[right][post="102535"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

its hidden at the top of the main page... here is the [url="http://www.cincinnatibengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=2951"]link[/url] though...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:54 PM']its hidden at the top of the main page... here is the [url="http://www.cincinnatibengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=2951"]link[/url] though...
[right][post="102537"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

DUH!

Things like this are always so obvious once someone points it out to you...

I really didn't see it the first time. Strange how that works sometimes.

Thanks.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Seems a little early in his career to call it quits, guess he didn't want to have to go through camp again, but the opportunity to play in the NFL should be enough to make you go out and play, also making six figures doesn't hurt as well.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:07 PM']Seems a little early in his career to call it quits, guess he didn't want to have to go through camp again, but the opportunity to play in the NFL should be enough to make you go out and play, also making six figures doesn't hurt as well.
[right][post="102544"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

no matter what career your in.. you want to succeed... i know i have interviewd for quite a few positions and missed 3 in a row, and frankly was ready to call it quits... he made $455k last year alone.. so he probably inked almost 2 mil in his career.. atelast a little over 1 mil... so he can take it easy, find a career he will truely enjoy.. and go do that... who wants to work thier lviing ass off to get beat out for a starting role... again... sometimes the writing is on the wall...

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:17 PM']no matter what career your in.. you want to succeed... i know i have interviewd for quite a few positions and missed 3 in a row, and frankly was ready to call it quits... he made $455k last year alone.. so he probably inked almost 2 mil in his career.. atelast a little over 1 mil... so he can take it easy, find a career he will truely enjoy.. and go do that... who wants to work thier lviing ass off to get beat out for a starting role... again... sometimes the writing is on the wall...
[right][post="102547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Still, though. He seemed to be doing at least ok to have been in the league that long. He could have just stayed for a few more years and made a few more mil and just retire....from....all work.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:20 PM']Still, though. He seemed to be doing at least ok to have been in the league that long. He could have just stayed for a few more years and made a few more mil and just retire....from....all work.
[right][post="102548"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

definetly, and i probably would have done that.. he probably has something else he would rather be doing... who knows. alteast he isnt milking the system for all he can get... or again, maybe he could see he wasnt going to make the team this year for some reason.. maybe the draft picks were out-doing him in mini camps...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 13 2005, 12:50 PM']wow.. at 27.. appearently he felt he wasnt going to make the team already.. and bowed out gracefully instead of getting cut in a few weeks...

im sure he can find all kinds of things to do with the probably almost $500-1 mil he has made over the years...
[right][post="102536"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

He already owns a bunch of properties downtown in the entertainment district. He has been doing his business thing for quite a while now. Some athletes are smart some are not. I think he has known he wouldnt last in the NFL forever.

[quote name='big_dish' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:33 PM']He already owns a bunch of properties downtown in the entertainment district. He has been doing his business thing for quite a while now. Some athletes are smart some are not. I think he has known he wouldnt last in the NFL forever.
[right][post="102553"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

sweet.

I think he wanted to play only for his hometown team, not pick up and move again for another team. He has enough cash to move on in life and probably live pretty comfortably.

I wouldn't be suprised if he talked to Marvin before making his decision. Marvin probably advised him he was a long shot to make the team. He barely made it last year and we added Kieft, Ghiaucec (sp?), and Wilkerson. They will all make the team.

ulfsted said before the season that 2004-2005 would be his last year playing and then he would retire. He didnt reture right away b/c he probably thought he could make a quick $500,000 to help his real estate business. But when we draft 2 O-linemen and the aparent progress of Stacey Andrews, he knew he wouldnt make it. he was actually working at his real estate business when he got the call from the Bengals.

[quote name='Cricket' date='Jun 13 2005, 12:44 PM']Sulfsted retires
6/13/2005 - 6-13-05, 12:15 p.m.
Homegrown product Alex Sulfsted has informed the Bengals he plans to retire. The loss of the guard-tackle drops the roster to 85 players, two over the limit for training camp next month.

Sulfsted, 27, who played at Mariemont High School in suburban Cincinnati and Miami of Ohio, ended up playing in four games with his hometown team, all last year. The Chiefs drafted him in the sixth round of the 2001 draft and he played 14 games with the 2002 Redskins, but he signed with the Bengals five times.
[right][post="102534"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
<<crickets chirping>>

Guest BengalsOwn
quitter.

Mad respect for the guy though, being a backup for a few years, ammassing a small fortune, and then investing it in real estate, he won't have to work hard for the rest of his life. Talk about taking advantage of every opportunity!

Maybe Munoz should open his eyes...

[quote name='WhoDey85' date='Jun 13 2005, 08:03 PM']It's sad to hear a guy so young retiring, even if he didn't play all that much.  Anybody have any idea why?
[right][post="102730"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes,

Larry Moore Pete Lougheed Bobbie Williams Ben Wilkerson Eric Steinbach Eric Ghiaciuc Adam Kieft Willie Anderson Belton Johnson Scott Kooistra Rich Braham Levi Jones Stacy Andrews

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Jun 13 2005, 07:56 PM']quitter.

Mad respect for the guy though, being a backup for a few years, ammassing a small fortune, and then investing it in real estate, he won't have to work hard for the rest of his life. Talk about taking advantage of every opportunity!

Maybe Munoz should open his eyes...
[right][post="102729"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hahahahha [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

You beat me to it

Munoz is a quitter!!!!

[quote name='Matt_Six' date='Jun 13 2005, 04:23 PM']He went to Miami U. I believe... has to be a smart guy.
[right][post="102630"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i know alot of stupid ass people who went to miami U as well... doesnt mean they are all stupid.. certainly not all smart just for going there.. i was accepted there, and i barely graduated high school.. shouldnt have actually.. but paying for the semester upfront in cash seemed to change things. college is a business. george bush got into what, yale? the fucker doesnt even know proper grammer or speak english....

Guest Matt_Six
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 13 2005, 10:30 PM']i know alot of stupid ass people who went to miami U as well... doesnt mean they are all stupid.. certainly not all smart just for going there.. i was accepted there, and i barely graduated high school.. shouldnt have actually.. but paying for the semester upfront in cash seemed to change things.  college is a business. george bush got into what, yale? the fucker doesnt even know proper grammer or speak english....
[right][post="102768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

What was your gpa and what test and score did you get (act, etc.)? Sorry if that's personal (im sure you probably dont care though), I'm just curious. Well... another relevant question to finding out about his stupidity...

Did he graduate from Miami University? It's one thing beind accepted, another graduating with a decent major.

Anyways - like I said. I was just curious.

Did you end up going to school somewhere else?

[quote name='Matt_Six' date='Jun 13 2005, 10:46 PM']What was your gpa and what test and score did you get (act, etc.)? Sorry if that's personal (im sure you probably dont care though), I'm just curious. Well... another relevant question to finding out about his stupidity...

Did he graduate from Miami University? It's one thing beind accepted, another graduating with a decent major.

Anyways - like I said. I was just curious.

Did you end up going to school somewhere else?
[right][post="102779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

either 1.32 or 1.23 (pretty bad) but scored a 27 on the ACT...because im a fucking genius...appearently

Guest BengalBacker
Sulfsted leaves Cincinnati to pursue real estate career
By Chick Ludwig

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Alex Sulfsted not only had a change of heart, but a dramatic shift in priorities. He decided his career in real estate was more important than playing football, so he's trading his cleats for wing-tips and loafers.

The Bengals' backup offensive tackle retired from the NFL on Monday so he could pursue a full-time career in real estate sales and development.

Sulfsted, a partner in two development and construction companies — the Kauffman Jacobs Co. in Cincinnati and Ocean Builders in Outer Banks, N.C. — would have entered his fifth NFL season this fall. He also would've had a difficult time making the squad because he was buried behind starting tackles Willie Anderson and Levi Jones and top backups Stacy Andrews and Adam Kieft.

"With all my business work, it was time to move on," said Sulfsted, whose marriage to Meggan Brunner-Yeager is scheduled for May 2006 in the Bahamas. "We're at the point where we've got close to $30 million in revenue booked this year, so I need to spend more time with that. I think my partners are happy.

"As the companies have grown, it's gotten harder to try and balance everything. Real estate's going to be here for me a lot longer than football. Before I went in to sign my retirement papers, I was a little nervous. I said, 'Well, I'll know if I made the right decision once I walk out of there.' I think I left on good terms and I don't think I've stopped smiling since."

Born in Lebanon, Ohio, Sulfsted grew up in Cincinnati and attended Mariemont High School and Miami University.

He had the distinction of signing five contracts in a four-year span with the Bengals after being selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the sixth round of the 2001 NFL draft (No. 176 overall). He played in 18 career games, logging 14 games with three starts for Washington in 2002 and four games last season with the Bengals.

One of the highlights of Sulfsted's NFL career came with Washington in 2002. On the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Sulfsted was part of a Redskins contingent that visited the rebuilt left wing of the Pentagon and presented a Redskins jersey to the undersecretary of defense.

Rookie sensations

The Bengals' top two draft picks — outside linebacker David Pollack and middle linebacker Odell Thurman — will line up with the starting unit when minicamp kicks off Friday. Barring injury, both are earmarked as starters when the Bengals travel to Cleveland for the Sept. 11 opener.

"They're ahead of the game," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "They were very, very well-coached at Georgia. So this has been a much easier transition. Both guys would surprise me if they're both not first-day starters."

The hot seat

As the only veteran not participating in voluntary workouts, defensive end Duane Clemons is on the hot seat.

Clemons started 13 games at left defensive end in 2004, but he's been replaced by Justin Smith. Robert Geathers is the new starter at right end.

"He's in a huge battle," Lewis said about Clemons. "He's behind the line. He's got a lot to gain back."

Archived