Vick Wanted Cincy

[url="http://deadspin.com/5831987/gqs-michael-vick-story-will-most-likely-make-white-people-angry-again"]http://deadspin.com/...ple-angry-again[/url]

[i] "I think I can say this now, because it's not going to hurt anybody's feelings, and it's the truth... I didn't want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options."[/i]

[i] Those two teams wanted him and would've allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced-and granted league approval-to sign with Philly. "And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation."[/i]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1313624545' post='1016838']
WTF Goodell?
[/quote]

isn't deadspin kind of like the Onion?

The "[i]would've allowed him to start" [/i]part pointed to it being fake to me.

fwiw, the Bengals DID offer more per year money than Philly apparently, but Philly offered a 2yr deal

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1313624929' post='1016839']

fwiw, the Bengals DID offer more per year money than Philly apparently, but Philly offered a 2yr deal
[/quote]

So were the Bengals wanting to sign Vick to replace Carson? Is that what you are saying?

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1313625645' post='1016844']

So were the Bengals wanting to sign Vick to replace Carson? Is that what you are saying?
[/quote]

no they were signing him to be a backup to replace fitzpatrick. I don't buy the "he was going to start" part. Carson was also coming off injury and they didn't appear to like Fitz enough to keep him.

[/quote]
Deadspin obviously isn't the most credible source, but it sure isn't The Onion, and it definitely isn't as bad as some of the sources that get posted here.

[/quote]

I stand corrected.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1250290638' post='791054']
[b]REPORT OF VICK OFFER:[/b] Jay Glazer of FOX reported just before Michel Vick's press conference in Philadelphia that the Bengals had offered him a two-year deal worth $2.3 million before taking the Eagles contract for $1.6 million with a second-year option of $5.2 million. It marked a reversal of Bengals president Mike Brown's July 28 pronouncement that the club didn't have interest in him because it had an established quarterback in Carson Palmer.

Apparently that was one of Vick's parameters, according to ESPN.com. as well as going to a team with a "strong owner. A strong organization. A strong head coach. A passionate fan base."

Contacted about half an hour before Vick met the media, agent Joel Segal had no comment on the report. The Bengals don't comment on contract negotiations but indications are they made just one offer in the event that no one else signed him. On the 28th Brown also said he felt that Vick had paid his dues and deserved the right to be back in the league.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/pregame-notes-collins-and-vick/0394b889-f757-4861-8942-ce9a2bee6f37"]http://www.bengals.c...42-ce9a2bee6f37[/url]
[/quote]

I think it was more the fact that they had no idea how Carson's elbow would stand up and Fitz didn't exactly fill the stadium during his year as the starter. Vick would have been a draw for fans and if Carson's elbow was trash having Vick come in would have gotten us a lot of coverage. MB was getting him pretty cheap considering his upside is still pretty high.

Hard to believe Goodell could steer him to a particular team of his choosing but.... never mind.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1313625413' post='1016842']
Well, the Rumors coming out of Carson's camp now is that the Bengals told him they'd trade him last year, so maybe that was during the Vick thing. They'd get rid of Carson and he could come in and start.
[/quote]

The Bengals offered Vick a contract in 2009. Last year was 2010.

That is the dumbest damned rumor I have heard yet. No offense to you at all.
Because I have heard it before. Even the Lions announcers said something about it.

Why would Carson ask to be traded right after winning the division? Why would MB agree to it?
Do you really think MB would agree to it then reneg. And then not trade him after such a shitty season?
Then act like he was wronged by Carson?

It makes no sense what so ever.

Need to get the timing right. Vick was offered a contract in August the year after the Bengals went 4-11-1. That was the year Carson sat out because of the elbow. It would have made perfect sense for MB to try and sign Vick given the unknown status of Carson's elbow (would it hold up) and the effectiveness of Fitz.

It didn't happen after the playoff season of 2009, Vick was already signed with the Eagles.

I hate Michael Vick with a passion. Dog torturers, human rapists and murders- in order of how much I hate them. Vick was at least one of those.

Good thing Goodell is crooked. That would have ended my misery of being a Bengals fan.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1313638037' post='1016944']
I hate Michael Vick with a passion. Dog torturers, human rapists and murders- in order of how much I hate them. Vick was at least one of those.

Good thing Goodell is crooked. That would have ended my misery of being a Bengals fan.
[/quote]

You hate people who hurt dogs more than humans? That's so reasonable. Now I think I understand the rest of your opinions.

What is more troubling is that the commissioner, who should be treating each team in an impartial manner to allow for fairness in competition, steered a player to a particular team, despite less prospects for playing time, and away from other teams where he would have had potentially more playing time.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1313654180' post='1017016']

You hate people who hurt dogs more than humans? That's so reasonable. Now I think I understand the rest of your opinions.
[/quote]

You misread and I probably could have been more clear at the same time... it was ascending order, not descending.

ie: Dog torturers (hate them), human rapists (hate them more) and murders (hate them the most)...

Re-reading it now, I should have been more clear.

The rest of your post makes no sense whatsoever.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1313672393' post='1017070']

You misread and I probably could have been more clear at the same time... it was ascending order, not descending.

ie: Dog torturers (hate them), human rapists (hate them more) and murders (hate them the most)...

Re-reading it now, I should have been more clear.

The rest of your post makes no sense whatsoever.
[/quote]

The general theme is a disrespect for life. I would go so far as to say I put human murderers in the same place I put dog murderers. Fuck Mike Vick and anyone who thinks that shit is okay or thinks its some lesser crime because it's popluar with a bunch of worhtless fucks.

I can go through years of losing and ineptitude. I can go through years growing up in NE Ohio being bullied and picked on because I wore Bengals and Reds gear. I can pay thousands of dollars for season tickets only to see their value disappear by the 3rd game. I can take pretty much anything related to the Bengals, but I would not have rooted one second for that worthless piece of shit.

Thank you Roger for allowing me to continue on with my self-inflicted misery as a loyal Bengals fan.

Archived