Bengals Win Big In TV Ratings Again (Why do fans go to NFL games?)

[size=6][b][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2011/08/22/bengals-win-big-in-ratings-again/"]Bengals Win Big In Ratings Again[/url][/b][/size]
[b] 3:35 pm, Aug 22, 2011 | Written by [email="jkiesewetter@enquirer.com"]jkiesewetter[/email] |[/b]

[size=4] Another Bengals loss, another huge TV rating on Channel 12 last night…. [/size]

The Bengals’ 27-7 preseason loss to the NY Jets game averaged an 18.5 rating and 30% audience share, again scoring more viewers than all the other local stations combined. Ranked #2 on the night was “Dateline NBC” on Channel 5 (3.8/7%), followed by ABC’s ”America’s Funniest Home Videos” (3.7/7%) on Channel 9.

The 18.5 rating was a 45% increase from the Bengals’ first preseason loss, 34-3, to the Detroit Lions on Friday, Aug. 12.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2011/08/22/bengals-win-big-in-ratings-again/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2011/08/22/bengals-win-big-in-ratings-again/[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1314043061' post='1019345']

Respectfully disagree.

The fans arent the problem.
[/quote]

Exactly, I had season tickets from 04-08, but i refuse to spend a dime until soP is dead. I'll buy tickets from someone else who has already paid the man, but 621-(no)tdtd can fuck off.

Also i'll figure out a way to watch the game on stream.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1314043061' post='1019345']

Respectfully disagree.

The fans arent the problem.
[/quote]

So what is the problem? Mike Brown? Why is he the problem?
Because the team isn't winning? Obviously. Because fans were
there when they were winning. And I'm pretty sure MB was still the owner.

[quote name='turningpoint' timestamp='1314043179' post='1019347']

Exactly, I had season tickets from 04-08, but i refuse to spend a dime until soP is dead. I'll buy tickets from someone else who has already paid the man, but 621-(no)tdtd can fuck off.

Also i'll figure out a way to watch the game on stream.
[/quote]

Hell, I think your post just confirmed what I said. Bought tickets in '04, dropped them in '08.

I have been to plenty of games in the past. And I would go to every game now if I could.
Going to games is more than just winning or losing. But to each their own.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1314043761' post='1019357']
You know what the problem is and I have no interest in turning this into a long drawn out thread.
[/quote]

I think I made myself pretty damn clear what I think the problem is.

And I have no interest in repeating myself over and over.

A pre season Thursday night game against Carolina isn't exactly going to break records regardless of the situation. The other issue is for most of us parents, its back to school week and a lot of us have a lot of shit going on every night of the week. Thats the beauty of the Sunday NFL schedule, most of us are free.

Tickets are expensive as well for a pre season game.

I don't know if I would go the Bandwagon fan route. A lot of fans simply don't want to spend big money to watch the starters play a quarter or so in a meaningless game against a team nobody cares about.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1314046637' post='1019382']
A pre season Thursday night game against Carolina isn't exactly going to break records regardless of the situation. The other issue is for most of us parents, its back to school week and a lot of us have a lot of shit going on every night of the week. Thats the beauty of the Sunday NFL schedule, most of us are free.

Tickets are expensive as well for a pre season game.

I don't know if I would go the Bandwagon fan route. A lot of fans simply don't want to spend big money to watch the starters play a quarter or so in a meaningless game against a team nobody cares about.
[/quote]

I wasn't necessarily talking about their upcoming preseason games. I was mostly talking about regular season games.

Obviously there is interest from Bengals fans to watch this team. TV ratings say as much.
So why won't PBS sell out? Exactly why I stated.

Does anyone really think if this team jumps out to a quick start that fans won't come in droves to the game?
Say they have a winning record in December and are fighting for a playoff spot? Anyone really think the
stadium won't sell out? Well, anyone besides Jamie?

I think the ratings show a lot of people are interested in this team. Sure, they are probably going to have a miserable season but people want to see how AJ and Dalton play. For me it's a lot easier to root for this young team that has jettisoned it's divas. I don't think people are willing to buy tickets to see them in person yet, but they will definitely be watching

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1314042879' post='1019344']

Poisoned fanbase that will only spend money when the team is winning!

In other words, bandwagon fans!
[/quote]
Poisoned fanbase? Bandwagon fans?
Jesus Old where the hell did you get that shit? The only thing poisoned in this is the way this organization has been run over the last two decades! Our fans are as loyal as any in the league. I had a bunch of stealer fans bragging about what diehard fans they were. I said shit, the most diehard fans in this bar are the 3 Bengals fans at this table and 90% of y'all wouldn't be here if you had been through what we had been through throughout the Mike Brown era. Yes mike Brown is the problem and I wouldn't pay a dime and walk across the street to come to the stadium when I can watch the pitiful exhibitions put on each week for free. Christ, get real Mr. Old!

[quote name='bengalsfansince68' timestamp='1314051543' post='1019408']
Poisoned fanbase? Bandwagon fans?
Jesus Old where the hell did you get that shit? The only thing poisoned in this is the way this organization has been run over the last two decades! Our fans are as loyal as any in the league. I had a bunch of stealer fans bragging about what diehard fans they were. I said shit, the most diehard fans in this bar are the 3 Bengals fans at this table and 90% of y'all wouldn't be here if you had been through what we had been through throughout the Mike Brown era. Yes mike Brown is the problem and I wouldn't pay a dime and walk across the street to come to the stadium when I can watch the pitiful exhibitions put on each week for free. Christ, get real Mr. Old!
[/quote]

So if the team is winning you really think fans won't go to games?

You won't be watching anything if you live in the blackouted areas.

I lived through all of the Mike Brown era. And I'm still standing.
And I would go to every game this up coming season if possible.

You can call me whatever you wish. Pops was an original from Nippert and I grew up with it. I managed to make my way into two Super Bowls and I had been buying my own tix since my first job. In my opinion this is the worst run organization in all of sports as far as product on the field. I apoliogize to my oldest son from making him a Bengals fan and I will no longer support the half hearted effort with cash or by buying goods. I will die a fan but I will not support the way this team is run.

Ignor all the stories or former players, coaches and insiders. Ignor the 2nd tier signings and failure to bring in quality at obvious positions of need and ignor the history just as I did for nearly 20 yrs.

Enough is enough and it has ZERO to do with fair weather or bandwagon.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1314052369' post='1019415']

So if the team is winning you really think fans won't go to games?
[/quote]
I didn't say that but I know I won't. Some of us can't afford the outrageous prices for tickets and concessions. I have been a fan for the entire lifetime of this franchise and have only gone to the stadium once in all those years. I don't blame anyone for holding on to their money rather than enrich a putz like the worst owner in the history of sport. To call our fanbase poisoned and or bandwagon is ludicrous. I live in houston and I have only missed watching about 4 games in 14 years. Am I a poisoned, bandwagon fan because I refuse to pay $70 for a ticket and $6 for a diet coke? If you think so, the great deal of respect that I've always had for you will surely deminish greatly.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1314053243' post='1019424']
You can call me whatever you wish. Pops was an original from Nippert and I grew up with it. I managed to make my way into two Super Bowls and I had been buying my own tix since my first job. In my opinion this is the worst run organization in all of sports as far as product on the field. [b]I apoliogize to my oldest son from making him a Bengals fan and I will no longer support the half hearted effort with cash or by buying goods.[/b] I will die a fan but I will not support the way this team is run.

Ignor all the stories or former players, coaches and insiders. Ignor the 2nd tier signings and failure to bring in quality at obvious positions of need and ignor the history just as I did for nearly 20 yrs.

Enough is enough and it has ZERO to do with fair weather or bandwagon.
[/quote]

my daughter showed real interest in the Bengals for the first time last night. It was great. Thursday will be her first game.

[quote name='bengalsfansince68' timestamp='1314053644' post='1019427']
I didn't say that but I know I won't. Some of us can't afford the outrageous prices for tickets and concessions. I have been a fan for the entire lifetime of this franchise and have only gone to the stadium once in all those years. I don't blame anyone for holding on to their money rather than enrich a putz like the worst owner in the history of sport. To call our fanbase poisoned and or bandwagon is ludicrous. I live in houston and I have only missed watching about 4 games in 14 years. Am I a poisoned, bandwagon fan because I refuse to pay $70 for a ticket and $6 for a diet coke? If you think so, the great deal of respect that I've always had for you will surely deminish greatly.
[/quote]

Well obvioulsy if you're not living in the area and can't afford games then that doesn't
pertain to you does it?

And the fan base is poisoned. Blame it on Mike Brown. Blame it on the losing whatever.
But please don't act like it isn't poisoned. That's why you have people saying "20 years!"
"Mike Brown is the worst owner in all of sports!" and other shit.

I've said this before. But it is relevant to this conversation.

The Bengals have been to the Playoffs 9 times in their 43 year History.
Their 1st Playoff win was in 1982 (1981 season). Their last was in 1991.
(1990 season)

They have a combined Playoff record of 5-9 in their History.

4 out of those 5 Playoff wins came in the 1981 and 1988 seasons.
The other came in 1990.

They have went to the Playoffs 2 of those 9 times in the past 6 years.
So almost a quarter of their Playoff appearances have came recently.

Obviously this team has never been a perennial winner.
So obviously them being a winner isn't what drew any of us to be fans.
And if it did a long time ago, then it sure as hell hasn't been what has
kept us fans. So why now, does anyone feel the need to constantly
bash on this team and act like they have to win to have your fandom
validated?

Seriously, almost a quarter of their Playoff apperances have came in the past 6 years.
2 in 6 years, 7 in the pervious 37 years.

If games sell out when the team is winning but don't sell out until they're winning, then yes, that is the definition of bandwagon.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1314056585' post='1019446']
If games sell out when the team is winning but don't sell out until they're winning, then yes, that is the definition of bandwagon.
[/quote]
U R making a huge deal out of not much. By that definition most every fanbase in the league is poisoned, bandwagon non-fans. If throwing away your money to an owner who won't put any of it into the product we buy is required to be considered a fan than I'll happily wear the moniker of poisoned...
but boy is this fucking stupid.

If the Bengals consistently put a good product on the field there would not be a problem selling out the stadium. There has been nothing consistent about the Bengals. [b]Worse, and probably the biggest problem is every time the team gets our hopes and makes us think this year they will rock, they lay a turd[/b]. Almost every time they get a Monday Night game, they get their asses kicked. Prime time national Sunday night game,... TURD. So they have been to the playoffs twice under Marvin. His lifetime record here is 60-67-1. Not exactly tearing it up.

BTW, there is no rule that says a TRUE fan has to go see the game in person. Some people like to relax in their own homes or local watering hole and like to avoid the drunken ASSHOLES that are yelling at EVERY GAME. PBS isn't exactly fan friendly anyways. Its not like they do much of anything to make it a great experience unless overpriced warm beer and mostly marginal looking cheerleaders float your boat. You get treated WAY better at GABP.

It's no mystery why the team won't sellout many home games. It's expensive, the team isn't expected to be very good, and the economy is weak. Other teams and cities have those problems too but Cincinnati has the unique factor of Mike Brown. He makes millions from the taxpayers and instead of making all reasonable efforts to field a good team, he basically spits in people's eye by spending 30 mil under the cap and pocketing the money. I live in Columbus and used to go to a game or two each season. Now I refuse to put money in MB's pockets and just watch on TV. My brother who lives in Cincinnati gave up his season tickets and returned his COA out of disgust.

Archived