Casey on the block?!

Jason

ESPN.com Insider

June Archive

Players on the trading block
The Ugueth Urbina trade took some general managers by surprise last week, "because there really hasn't been a lot of conversation, compared to other years," one GM noted.
But that is changing. GMs are checking rosters and defining needs and making wish lists; scouts are expected to pour into Cleveland to watch Joe Kennedy pitch tonight, for example. Here's what can be had on the market, according to executives and scouts:

• First base: Reds GM Dan O'Brien has told other GMs, sometimes with e-mails, that he's not prepared to make deals at this time. High-ranking Reds officials have sent other signals to other teams, however, [b]so scouts think the swap of Sean Casey will happen before the trade deadline[/b]. The Red Sox are a possible destination, but Casey also makes a whole lot of sense for the Mets, who rank dead last in the majors in first base RBI (23) and OPS (.594) and 20th in homers (7), because of the struggles of Doug Mientkiewicz.

If they trade Casey, I may just stop following them altogether!

[quote name='Jason' date='Jun 15 2005, 08:25 PM']ESPN.com Insider

June Archive

Players on the trading block
The Ugueth Urbina trade took some general managers by surprise last week, "because there really hasn't been a lot of conversation, compared to other years," one GM noted.
But that is changing. GMs are checking rosters and defining needs and making wish lists; scouts are expected to pour into Cleveland to watch Joe Kennedy pitch tonight, for example. Here's what can be had on the market, according to executives and scouts:

• First base: Reds GM Dan O'Brien has told other GMs, sometimes with e-mails, that he's not prepared to make deals at this time. High-ranking Reds officials have sent other signals to other teams, however, [b]so scouts think the swap of Sean Casey will happen before the trade deadline[/b]. The Red Sox are a possible destination, but Casey also makes a whole lot of sense for the Mets, who rank dead last in the majors in first base RBI (23) and OPS (.594) and 20th in homers (7), because of the struggles of Doug Mientkiewicz.

If they trade Casey, I may just stop following them altogether!
[right][post="103542"][/post][/right][/quote]I'm with you on this. the guy cares about the game. :angry:

Probably won't get much for him but if we can trade him that would be great

I'm sick and tired of sports teams in Cincinnati keeping people around because they're nice guys! Fuck nice guys! you can't win championships because you're nice! :angry2:

That being said, another team with real coaches will probably figure out how to extract his power and he will turn out to be a power hitter after all instead of the "punch and judy" hitter he's been here

Guest whodey 85

[quote name='Storm' date='Jun 16 2005, 07:33 AM']Probably won't get much for him but if we can trade him that would be great
[b]I'm sick and tired of sports teams in Cincinnati keeping people around because they're nice guys!  Fuck nice guys! you can't win championships because you're nice!  :angry2:
[/b]
That being said, another team with real coaches will probably figure out how to extract his power and he will turn out to be a power hitter after all instead of the "punch and judy" hitter he's been here
[right][post="103681"][/post][/right][/quote]

Thank you, who cares if he is a nice guy he, he sucks. He's gonna make 8.5 million next year and he has 3 hr 30 rbi and 15 double plays. Why the hell is this guy hitting 3rd, he should be hitting 6th or even 7th because Lopez has been better than him. Miley is a stupid dumbass, but don't worry he can drink it off, that guy's a fucking mess. Miley just doesn't got the balls to tell O'Brien "Look bitch, I'm the manager and I'll make my own lineups and my own rotation." He's gonna get fired very soon and he should be. The reason we havent traded Casey yet is because O'Brien is a little bitch and is scared to make any trades. If we go this year and he doesn't try to dump some salary and get some pitching prospects he should go. Casey really doesn't have a trade value anyway but we may be able to trade him for a leather chair for Adam Dunn.

This team is a fucking joke! :angry2:

[quote name='whodey 85' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:24 AM']Thank you, who cares if he is a nice guy he, he sucks.  He's gonna make 8.5 million next year and he has 3 hr 30 rbi and 15 double plays.  Why the hell is this guy hitting 3rd, he should be hitting 6th or even 7th because Lopez has been better than him.  Miley is a stupid dumbass, but don't worry he can drink it off, that guy's a fucking mess.  Miley just doesn't got the balls to tell O'Brien "Look bitch, I'm the manager and I'll make my own lineups and my own rotation."  He's gonna get fired very soon and he should be.  The reason we havent traded Casey yet is because O'Brien is a little bitch and is scared to make any trades.  If we go this year and he doesn't try to dump some salary and get some pitching prospects he should go.  Casey really doesn't have a trade value anyway but we may be able to trade him for a leather chair for Adam Dunn.

This team is a fucking joke! :angry2:
[right][post="103723"][/post][/right][/quote]

He's also hitting .320 and leads the team in hits. He has in past seasons hit 25 or so homeruns, and had 99 rbis last year. He is also one of the leaders on the team, and a good defensive first baseman. Give me a .310+ hitter with 25 HR and 90+ RBI who is a leader, and fields his position well ANY DAY!

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='Jason' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:18 AM']He's also hitting .320 and leads the team in hits.  He has in past seasons hit 25 or so homeruns, and had 99 rbis last year.  He is also one of the leaders on the team, and a good defensive first baseman.  [b]Give me a .310+ hitter with 25 HR and 90+ RBI who is a leader, and fields his position well ANY DAY![/b]
[right][post="103736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Believe me, if he had 12 homeruns and 40 rbi right now I wouldn't complain. But he is at a power position right now and he is not hitting like it. I agree, he is a good leader and everyone likes him, but he is starting to slip and I want to try and get something for him before he falls apart.

[quote name='whodey 85' date='Jun 16 2005, 01:26 PM']Believe me, if he had 12 homeruns and 40 rbi right now I wouldn't complain.  But he is at a power position right now and he is not hitting like it.  I agree, he is a good leader and everyone likes him, but he is starting to slip and I want to try and get something for him before he falls apart.
[right][post="103768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

He hit 24 HR LAST YEAR. It's a little early to say he's falling apart. Besides, we have enough power hitters. We need more average hitters to be on base when the power guys come up.

[quote name='Jason' date='Jun 16 2005, 02:03 PM']He hit 24 HR LAST YEAR.  It's a little early to say he's falling apart.  Besides, we have enough power hitters.  We need more average hitters to be on base when the power guys come up.
[right][post="103784"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick

sean casey's [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5930"]2005 numbers so far[/url]

ab=231
[b]h = 74[/b]
[b]2b=16[/b]
3b=0
hr=3
rbi=30
bb=20
[b]so=18[/b]
[b]ba=.320[/b]
[b]e = 1[/b]
career fielding %=.995

-----------------------

adam dunns [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6763"]2005 numbers so far[/url]

ab=209
[b]h = 51[/b]
2b = 12
3b = 2
[b]hr = 16
rbi = 33[/b] :huh:
[b]bb = 50[/b]
[b]so = 69[/b]
[b]ba=.244[/b]
[b]e = 4[/b]
career fielding % (at 1b only) = .989

------------------------

casey has 18 strike outs and dunn has 69!!!... i will take the 3 less rbi's versus losing 3 rbi's... even w/ the walks...

casey is a very likable guy, who is a very good first baseman and our best hitter generally... he is also our best hitter w/ men in scoring position (casey almost has as many rbi's as dunn w/ 13 less hr's [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img] ) who gives a fuck if dunn hits a solo hr, while we're down by 10 runs!! rbis are what matters.. the slogan "chicks dig the long ball" is true.. but baseball fans dig the rbi's...

this is a nobrainer to me... keep casey, b/c he is a great compliment to griffey, pena, and kearns (whenever he gets it back)...

and dunn won't stop complaining about things like his chair, graves, and kearns demotion... i am starting to not like dunn at all... like marty always says, if he isn't hitting, he is a liability out there (b/c of his worthless defense)...

Guest mongoloido
Depends on what the Reds can get for him. Nobody on a team as bad as the Reds should be untradable. That's the luxury of winning franchises. If trading Casey can help the team win, then do it. I like the Reds a heck of a lot more than I like one player on the Reds.

At this point, I dont really care who the hell we trade. As long as its not Freel. I think pretty much all of them have proved they lack the desire to win baseball games. I believe that MLB is fucked, and payroll disparity is crazy, but these guys dont even have the passion to want to win. I can only watch so many called third strikes with 2 men in scoring position. I can only cringe as we have bases loaded and proceed to get three outs, without even scoring a run. I am tired of being down 5-0 before the bottom of the first. I could give a fuck about Dunn hitting a solo HR, when we still have 6 runs to make up. Or see him bumbling around in the right field corner. I am tired of Kearns watching pitch after pitch. The problem wasnt his swing, it was that he wasnt swinging. Casey has no RBI's because none of those other bums get on base. Then, if they do, he GIDP's. I am sick of LaRue's pathetic AVG, year in and year out. He was never a good defensive catcher either, and this year he cant even throw people out at second. Griffey needs to be traded, his salary is hampering the team severely. Or, keep him and hope Carl dies and someone who cares about the game comes in and spends money and puts together a good team. Has anyone noticed the good teams have owners who are passionate, then it trickles down from there? In any sport. Fuck the Reds. I went to 50+ games last year, and havent gone to a single game this year, and dont plan on it. And I get in free. Fucking bums.

Guest BengalsOwn
I heard on the radio that in the last 15 at bats with runners in scoring position, the reds are 0-12 with no hits.

Pathetic.

Guest Claptonrocks
I dont care if its Casey or Dunn.. Unload some everyday players for some pitchers that keep the ball down and can get people out!!!

Archived