Shipley placed on IR

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1316482373' post='1033975']
Too bad for Ship. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Anyone object to bringing Housh back? I know Carson would hate to lose his practice buddy and all.
[/quote]

I dont see why it has to be a WR just because we lost one, with Caldwell, Tate, and if Whalen dresses now, thats still 5 solid options. I dont know if were looking to keep 6, but I feel other areas or position players could be signed, like the CBs we brought in last week along with Lee

But to answer your question, if we cut Cosby to go younger, I dont see why we would bring Housh back, if he hasn't signed anywhere else yet, he must not have much left

[quote name='BScott28' timestamp='1316483146' post='1033981']

I dont see why it has to be a WR just because we lost one, with Caldwell, Tate, and if Whalen dresses now, thats still 5 solid options. I dont know if were looking to keep 6, but I feel other areas or position players could be signed, like the CBs we brought in last week along with Lee

But to answer your question, if we cut Cosby to go younger, I dont see why we would bring Housh back, if he hasn't signed anywhere else yet, he must not have much left
[/quote]

Wouldn't be a long term solution obviously. He is pretty good in the slot and would do well in this system IMO. Thing is....would he poison the water in the locker room? I bet theres plenty of sour grapes to go around at the little practice sessions in Cali. Truth be told, if the Bengals called, I bet Housh would be on the next plane.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1316483618' post='1033984']

Wouldn't be a long term solution obviously. He is pretty good in the slot and would do well in this system IMO. Thing is....would he poison the water in the locker room? I bet theres plenty of sour grapes to go around at the little practice sessions in Cali. Truth be told, if the Bengals called, I bet Housh would be on the next plane.
[/quote]

He would be for sure, but lets see who they tryout tomorrow. If they aren't happy with Tate as the PR, it will probably be Cosby, but to me he hasn't been terrible there.

I still think they could use a corner until Jones comes back thats why I wouldn't be shocked if it was Lindley?

[quote name='Catfish Bob' timestamp='1316484101' post='1033986']
Why is everyone already hating on Tate? Wait till the dude takes a kickoff seven yards deep in the end zone the other way for a touchdown.
[/quote]

Thats how I feel, no reason to bring Cosby back unless he will return punts. A lot of people want to complain just because we expect a touchdown anytime he gets his feet going

Sucks to lose Shipley this early in the season, but the show goes on and Caldwell will get the first chance to step up and contribute.

I wouldn't be upset if Quan Cosby is re-signed. He's not on Shipley's level as a slot receiver, but he wouldn't be getting first crack at taking those snaps anyway. At least he'd also contribute on special teams. Caldwell hasn't exactly been tearing it up on the coverage units.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316433043' post='1033597']

he's also returning his first punts since college 3 years ago. Hopefully he's just rusty.
[/quote]
Seriously. at least he hasn't fumbled one away, and that's about all you could say for Cosby. Sorry to see Jordan S. out for the season. I suppose his roster spot could be used for any number of positions. Maybe another CB. If its a WR, I would love them to sign Jeff Maehl from the Texans PS-the guy is a nifty receiver and an accomplished gunner on STs. But, to my knowledge, the Bengals have never shown the slightest interest in him. Too bad.

I'm willing to be more patient on punt returns with Tate. So far, I haven't seen anything re poor judgment or ball security to be concerned. He's just not there yet re: setting up blocks, etc. Lets face it -he hadn't done punt returning since college, so he's getting his feet under him.

I suspect that the PR job in the NFL is more sophisticated than college, and it wasn''t like he had much room to run anyway on Sunday. Against Cleveland, he gave a glimpse of his speed and shiftiness on one return... He can give you something that Quan couldn't there.
That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Quan back because with Ship out, your backup PR is gone... Plus he's a good ST coverage guy, and in the West coast, he.is a good fit as a WR... Or at least, a better fit than he was in Brat's system.

I would be Ok with Hawkins getting the call up from the PS as well, but I really do like what Quan brings re PROVEN PR ability, ST ability, fit in WC, and as a good teammate and locker room guy.

[b] [size=6] Bengals receiver Jordan Shipley will miss the rest of the season[/size][/b]

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 19, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT

The Bengals will be without slot receiver [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5745/jordan-shipley"]Jordan Shipley[/url] for the rest of the season because of a knee injury, coach Marvin Lewis confirmed at his press conference on Monday.

Shipley was splitting No. 3 receiver duties with [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4730/andre-caldwell"]Andre Caldwell[/url] before the injury. The Texas product caught 52 passes as a rookie last year, but his role appeared to be decreasing this year. [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6438/aj-green"]A.J. Green[/url] and [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4859/jerome-simpson"]Jerome Simpson[/url] are the team’s starters.

The young wide receiver group is one of Cincinnati’s strengths on offense. Losing Shipley hurts the team’s depth, but Caldwell has a similar skill set.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/19/bengals-receiver-jordan-shipley-will-miss-the-rest-of-the-season/

that's a damned shame about jordan's unfortunate injury. i really like that guy and the professionalism he brings. it seems no job was too big for him. i wasn't any too happy with the situation that saw quan cosby getting cut for this very same reason, plus the punt return issues we've seen so far. i guess they figured he'd always be available if they needed him. so much for that. reportedly the bronco's signed quan today, so we can forget that idea as a backup plan.

Tests found that slot WR Jordan Shipley tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee when he was hit on Sunday. He was placed on the injured reserve list and will be out for the rest of the season. ... WR Andre Caldwell will get most of the plays in Shipley’s spot Sunday against San Francisco (1-1). Caldwell had three catches for 27 yards against the Broncos. ... Lewis said the Bengals had no other significant injuries.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110920/SPT02/309200066/

Archived