Dramatic changes to College Football coming

Bengals1181

So we have Texas A&M to the SEC.

Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC.

Connecticut possibly the next into the ACC.

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State looking like they are headed for the Pac-12.

What else do you see happening?

I suspect Kansas and Missouri will ultimately end up in the Big 10. Eventually Notre Dame will have to cave and join too. Would Kansas State be a package deal with Kansas? TCU to the Big 10 now that the Big East is dead in the water?

There is really no reason for the Big Ten to expand. They have 12 great teams, a great tv deal and are intresting. If I was in the league I would rather have a 1 in 12 chance to make the BCS and then share in that money. Texas and Oke make sense. Kansas and Mizzou are just addition to add. the Big ten appears to be a little bit more calculating then the rest of these leagues. i dont think you make that much more money with Missou and Kansas and you certainly have to share more.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1316465382' post='1033888']
The next few months should be interesting. I would not be shocked to see 4 super conferences and they try to break away from the NCAA.
[/quote]

I fully expect the 4 super conferences, but I'm not convinced they break away because of the other 40+ sports.

[quote] A person involved in the discussions tells The Associated Press that school and conference officials from the Big East and Big 12 have been discussing ways to merge what's left of the two leagues if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12.

The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about what is going on behind the scenes, said Monday there has been dialogue between athletic directors and high-level officials in the conference offices.

Syracuse and Pittsburgh have announced they will be leaving the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Texas and Oklahoma are both trying to decide whether to leave the Big 12 for the Pac-12, taking Oklahoma State and Texas Tech with them.[/quote]

I know the ACC is looking at two more. One being UCONN. The other one trying to be one of the big guns out of Texas and Kansas. I doubt that's likely. They could possibly pull Rutgers, which would be lackadaisical.

For the guys mentioning the Big Ten. Do not discount the amount of emphasis the conference will put on academics to any potential additions. Unless they have a top tier football program that has been competitive for decades (i.e. Nebraska), the odds of the conference overlooking this are slim. I would be surprised if the Big Ten expands, unless it can attract Notre Dame and UT (along with its hangers on). It would have to be the proper fit in order to garner enough votes from the conference.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316475704' post='1033938']
If I had to guess, my additions to the Big Ten would be Missouri, Kansas, Notre Dame, and West Virginia.

That would be a solid get in both football AND basketball.
[/quote]

No chance of WVU in the B1G. They are way too obsessed with academics. Kansas is probably not a B1G team either.

Most likely scenario right now is the Texas/OK 4 go to the Pac12, WVU or Mizzou to the SEC with aTm, and the remenants of the Big East and Big 12 merge, probably under the Big 12 logo. Maybe add BYU or something like that, just to stay afloat until the other 3 conferences go to 16 and rip them apart.

Its unfortunate, I enjoyed the Big east as a USF fan. USF and Cincinnati are 2 of the likely losers in this round of expansion, along with ISU, Baylor, KSU, and Kansas. It would take things really breaking the right way for either us to stay AQ through this. Only real chance is the ACC, and that would take B1G and ACC taking a few of their teams or targets. USF may have an outside shot at #16 in the SEC but its highly unlikely.

[quote name='Nati Ice' timestamp='1316479770' post='1033964']
For the guys mentioning the Big Ten. Do not discount the amount of emphasis the conference will put on academics to any potential additions. Unless they have a top tier football program that has been competitive for decades (i.e. Nebraska), the odds of the conference overlooking this are slim. I would be surprised if the Big Ten expands, unless it can attract Notre Dame and UT (along with its hangers on). It would have to be the proper fit in order to garner enough votes from the school.
[/quote]

Nebraska was an AAU school (like the rest of the Big 10) when they were admitted.

[quote name='DontPushMe' timestamp='1316486987' post='1033997']

No chance of WVU in the B1G. They are way too obsessed with academics. Kansas is probably not a B1G team either.

Most likely scenario right now is the Texas/OK 4 go to the Pac12, WVU or Mizzou to the SEC with aTm, and the remenants of the Big East and Big 12 merge, probably under the Big 12 logo. Maybe add BYU or something like that, just to stay afloat until the other 3 conferences go to 16 and rip them apart.

Its unfortunate, I enjoyed the Big east as a USF fan. USF and Cincinnati are 2 of the likely losers in this round of expansion, along with ISU, Baylor, KSU, and Kansas. It would take things really breaking the right way for either us to stay AQ through this. Only real chance is the ACC, and that would take B1G and ACC taking a few of their teams or targets. USF may have an outside shot at #16 in the SEC but its highly unlikely.
[/quote]

academically I think Kansas and Missouri are fine schools. Obviously Notre Dame is as well.

When push comes to shove the Big Ten is going to have to lax up on their academic standards. They won't just disregard it, but they're going to have to let up on the AAU standard.

I'm not married to the West Virginia idea, but think they'd fit well sports wise.

I know the Big Ten really wants Rutgers (ie New York market for the Big Ten Network), and they'd fit in academically as well. But it looks like Rutgers might be destined for the ACC.

Archived