Simpson and Collins part of a drug investigation (Collins looks to maybe be in the clear)

[quote name='Montana Bengal' timestamp='1316664435' post='1034730']
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/joereedy"]joereedy[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Joe Reedy[/size][/color]

Kentucky State Police say no arrests have been made tonight and that they were there "to check on the welfare of the individual."
[/quote]

the fuck does that mean?

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1316656515' post='1034691']
If this is true. I have had it w/ this fucking team and its fucking degenerate fucks!!!! Typical Shit. Just when you think you can get fucking excited about something w/ this fucking team, the totally unfuckinimaginable hits!!!!!! I cant fucking stand this fucking shit!!!!!
[/quote]

lol

[quote name='BScott28' timestamp='1316654957' post='1034679']
To me I still dont think it is true. How do cops investigate, but no arrest? Yeah Simpson probably deleted his Twitter so he isn't getting harassed all night when planning for the 49ers this weekend
[/quote]

[url="http://abc.daytonsnewssource.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wkef_vid_2921.shtml"]http://abc.daytonsne..._vid_2921.shtml[/url]

This was a quote from an article about a drug bust in the Dayton, OH area a few days ago.

[quote]After the seizure, police showed off the drugs, weapons and cars taken from their suspects. "[b]No one was arrested.[/b] They were taken in for questioning and then released but charges are pending. Police will meet with prosecutors in the five counties before charges are pressed against the suspects.[/quote]

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1316665611' post='1034732']

the fuck does that mean?
[/quote]

They were worried he may try and commit suicide? :shrug:

Simpson was looking at a fat multi-million dollar contract in a few short months, ...he took the wrong fork in the road and now he'll be out of a job.

The NFL doesn't employ drug dealers.

[quote name='Bengalpunk' timestamp='1316669081' post='1034738']
What I just read mentions the scales, parcels, etc but says nothing about any weed on the premises. I am guessing the she signed for the package but then claimed that she had no idea what was in it when they raided the house. Explains the no arrests.
[/quote]

WTF are you reading?

[quote]Inside the home, police allegedly found [b]six more pounds of marijuana[/b], other empty parcels, scales and packaging material.[/quote]

Sorry, NFL.com changed the way it was said.

Police said a package containing 2 1/2 pounds of marijuana was delivered from Eureka, Calif., to the suburban Kentucky home of [url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN"]Cincinnati Bengals[/url] wide receiver [url="http://www.nfl.com/players/jeromesimpson/profile?id=SIM531556"]Jerome Simpson[/url] on Tuesday, where authorities say they conducted a search and [b]allegedly found 6 more pounds of marijuana inside.[/b]
Michelle Gregory, spokeswoman for the California Department of Justice, [url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110921/NEWS010701/110921057/Cops-Pot-sent-Bengal-s-home"]confirmed to the Cincinnati Enquirer[/url] a report published by [url="http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/calif-marijuana-shipment-tracked-nfl-players-home-12698"]CaliforniaWatch.org[/url], a group of investigative journalists, on Wednesday night, which detailed the operation. It was initiated by a special marijuana task force after agents discovered a suspicious package at a commercial sorting facility in Sacramento.
Simpson's teammate, offensive tackle Anthony Collins, was also present when a woman, identified as Aleen Smith, 27, accepted the package on Tuesday. All three were questioned at the residence, but no arrests were made at the time.
Simpson told police that he lived at the residence and gave officers consent to search the premises, Gregory said. [b]Police allegedly found other empty parcels, scales and packaging material inside Simpson's home.[/b]
"The house was set up as a potential distribution network," said Tommy LaNier, head of the National Marijuana Initiative, a group that is funded by the Office of National Drug Control Policy and helps coordinate marijuana enforcement operations around the United States. "They had it all set up to receive supplies of high-grade marijuana from Northern California, and from there, it was being distributed from that residence," LaNier told California Watch.
All the packages were sent from an area of Northern California known as the "Emerald Triangle," LaNier said. The area is known for producing large amounts of marijuana.
Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said he had heard rumors of the bust but had no further comment.
"There’s nothing of substance in the development of rumors that we’re aware of," he said. "There’s nothing to hang a hat on at this point."
Simpson had four catches for 136 yards last week in a 24-22 loss to the [url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN"]Denver Broncos[/url].

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1316665989' post='1034734']

[url="http://abc.daytonsnewssource.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wkef_vid_2921.shtml"]http://abc.daytonsne..._vid_2921.shtml[/url]

This was a quote from an article about a drug bust in the Dayton, OH area a few days ago.

[/quote]

That makes sense. Seize everything, and take a bit of time to sort out who is going to charge them... Yeah, that kid is in a lot of trouble.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1316691341' post='1034763']
I'm still holding out hope that 1 of their boys was living with them and all that shit was in his room
[/quote]

If you own the house, I'm not sure that matters.. I think it's sort of like an open container in your car.. It doesn't matter if your friend chucked it into the backseat when you left the camp site.. It's yours as far as the police are concerned..

[i]Maybe[/i] if the guy cops to it all and tells them that Simpson had no knowledge, but I doubt it.. They will probably take the house.

Didn't Jamal Lewis go down for cocaine distribution over state lines a few years ago and only served a few months in jail during the off season?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1316691944' post='1034767']

If you own the house, I'm not sure that matters.. I think it's sort of like an open container in your car.. It doesn't matter if your friend chucked it into the backseat when you left the camp site.. It's yours as far as the police are concerned..

[i]Maybe[/i] if the guy cops to it all and tells them that Simpson had no knowledge, but I doubt it.. They will probably take the house.

Didn't Jamal Lewis go down for Cocaine distribution over state lines a few years ago and only served a few months in jail during the off season?
[/quote]

He was convicted of using his cell phone to set up a drug deal for cocaine and spent 4 months in prison.

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1316656515' post='1034691']
If this is true. I have had it w/ this fucking team and its fucking degenerate fucks!!!! Typical Shit. Just when you think you can get fucking excited about something w/ this fucking team, the totally unfuckinimaginable hits!!!!!! I cant fucking stand this fucking shit!!!!!
[/quote]

ths really not that bg of a deal.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1316692435' post='1034769']

He was convicted of using his cell phone to set up a drug deal for cocaine and spent 4 months in prison.
[/quote]

Well.. That is likely the official line.. But it's not like he let a friend use his cell phone to go get an eight ball.. It was part of a fairly extensive FBI operation for trafficking. Anyway, my point is that Simpson may not actually miss any time this season, and may not spend long in jail.. The jails are so full they are having trouble keeping real criminals to be too concerned with an NFL player who had shit loads of weed.

If this goes down I would bet Simpson loses the house and spends some time in jail but misses little playing time besides whatever suspension comes down from the commissioner's office.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1316691944' post='1034767']

Didn't Jamal Lewis go down for cocaine distribution over state lines a few years ago and only served a few months in jail during the off season?
[/quote]

I think the main thing right now is, was Simpson actually living there, or does he rent it out to someone, like this Aileen Smith person?

Also, you'd think the Bengals probably found out about this Monday, plenty of time to bring in a bunch of WR's and OL for Tuesday's try out day if they felt it necessary. I don't think they brought in any OL, and I don't think any of the WR's brought in were vets. Just rookies without a home.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316692716' post='1034773']

I think the main thing right now is, was Simpson actually living there, or does he rent it out to someone, like this Aileen Smith person?
[/quote]

That is a good point. The article makes it seem like he and Collins live there, but I know better than to trust "breaking news".

About 10 p.m. Wednesday, authorities made a “welfare check” on Simpson’s Mansion Place residence, according to the Kentucky State Police’s Dry Ridge post.
Further details on the incident were not released early Thursday. The case will be addressed later Thursday by the Kenton County Prosecutor’s Office, police said.

Gregory told The Enquirer that California authorities routinely track suspected marijuana packages but this is the first time, to her knowledge, a tracked package of marijuana led to the home of an NFL player.

The path leading to Simpson’s residence began Sept. 19, Gregory said.

A narcotics unit devoted to detecting and tracking suspected marijuana shipments flagged a package, which originated in Eureka, Calif., at a Sacramento shipping center. California authorities then alerted Kentucky law enforcement agencies about the package, and they kept an eye on it while it was delivered, Gregory said.

Gregory wouldn’t describe what characteristics of the package aroused suspicions.

As of late Wednesday, authorities were still trying to figure out what agency could handle a possible prosecution and what happens next. She said an investigation was continuing. Any of a number of federal, local or state agencies in California or Kentucky could take over the case, she said.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the team was aware of the reports but did not offer any other comments.

Neither player is from California. Both Collins, from Texas, and Simpson, from North Carolina, are in their fourth years with the Bengals. Simpson was drafted in the second round in 2008 and has emerged as one of the team’s starting wide receivers. He had a career-high 136 yards on four receptions in last Sunday’s loss at Denver.

Collins, a fourth-round pick, did not play in the Denver game. Listed as a backup left tackle, he has started 16 games during his career.

Under NFL rules, both Collins and Simpson could be subject to discipline under the league’s substance abuse and personal conduct policies. Drug testing was suspended during the league’s lockout but restarted when it ended in late July.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that violations of law when drugs are concerned would make both players subject to discipline under both policies.
Calls to Collins’ and Simpson’s agents were not returned.

However, both Simpson and Collins did participate in Wednesday’s practice in preparation for Sunday’s game against San Francisco.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110921/NEWS010701/110921057/Cops-Pot-sent-Bengal-s-home?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1316692806' post='1034774']

That is a good point. The article makes it seem like he and Collins live there, but I know better than to trust "breaking news".
[/quote]

the article does apparently say its Simpson's home, but they may have just been going off of property records.

As long as Collins didn't have anything on him at the time, he may end up alright. I'm not remotely knowledgeable on drug laws though.

Archived