Scott not as involved as Bengals want

Why would you want to Ced to play Full Back?
I think we have a stud Full Back, the kid makes all kinds of good blocks.

I noticed in the denver game they went more to a single back offense very early which IMO is what screwed up the running game. Got to have Pressley in their, we can't go back to the Brat Offense of no true fullback,,,IMO....

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1316648474' post='1034616']
...Honestly, from what I've seen, Ced leaves the game and we can't gain 3 yards on the ground. Why should Scott get more carries again?
[/quote]

Scott got two carries, one for 9 yards (around right end), and one for 1 yard (right tackle). Benson had one carry for -2 yards and five carries for no gain. And you think based upon that that Scott shouldn't have more carries?

[b]Interesting note: [/b]If I counted correctly, Cedric ran the ball with the team in shotgun formation three times and gained 14 yards, 9 yards, and 10 yards. He gained a total of 26 yards on his other 13 carries. Maybe we should have run him out of the shotgun formation a few more times.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1316648474' post='1034616']
I'm not sure I agree with the idea of "utilizing his abilities" differently. He is a running back, and until he shows he can line up and gain yards as a running back, on a standard running play the defense is going to key on him every time he steps on the field. From what I've seen he goes down at first contact and he isn't going to be in on 3rd down, either, if he can't pick up blitzes effectively.

Honestly, from what I've seen, Ced leaves the game and we can't gain 3 yards on the ground. Why should Scott get more carries again?
[/quote]

I agree with this...

[quote name='Cricket' timestamp='1316666586' post='1034736']

Scott got two carries, one for 9 yards (around right end), and one for 1 yard (right tackle). Benson had one carry for -2 yards and five carries for no gain. And you think based upon that that Scott shouldn't have more carries?
[/quote]

Yes, that is what I think; but not based upon cherry-picking the handful of carries that prove my point. Hell in your very next paragraph you're talking about Ced ripping off 10+ yards out of the shotgun. Are you implying Scott would have gotten even more yards?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1316687231' post='1034754']

Yes, that is what I think; but not based upon cherry-picking the handful of carries that prove my point. Hell in your very next paragraph you're talking about Ced ripping off 10+ yards out of the shotgun. Are you implying Scott would have gotten even more yards?[/quote]

Scott got 10 yards on two carries...why would you come to the conclusion that we can't get 3 yards when Ced comes out of the game?

I included Benson's lowest producing plays merely to show that even with Cedric IN the game we often can't get 3 yards...in response to your "Ced leaves the game and we can't gain 3 yards on the ground. Why should Scott get more carries again?"

Scott has not been given the ball enough times...in plays the accentuates his talents...to come to the conclusion that we can't get 3 yards.

IMO, Benson and Scott can both be very successful for the team...as long as the offensive line gets their act together.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1316990904' post='1036694']
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they give Scott a whopping two carries again today?

How many excuses can we hear to not get this guy in the game?

I will be pissed if we sign LJ back and he is anything but a 3rd RB.
[/quote]
He screwed up big time in pass protection and got Dalton killed. One reason he was not in there much.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1316991219' post='1036698']
Understandable, but a RB not picking up his block is more important than half of our oline doing the same?

Not arguing with your point, it just seems like we are always hearing how great 28 could be, but never get much of a chance to see it
[/quote]
You have to pass protect to get playing time. You just can't bring him on the field to run the ball. Defenses will key in on that and shut it down fast.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1316991398' post='1036700']
You have to pass protect to get playing time. You just can't bring him on the field to run the ball. Defenses will key in on that and shut it down fast.[/quote]

I agree... If Scott can't pass block, he's gonna get Dalton killed... Like today. And defenses will know it's a run. I want to see him out there, but he didn't help his cause today.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1316991398' post='1036700']
You have to pass protect to get playing time. You just can't bring him on the field to run the ball. Defenses will key in on that and shut it down fast.
[/quote]

I really think that's what's holding Scott back, his pass pro. They trust Leonard more, and rightfully so.

That said, I'd like to see Scott lined up in the slot a few times.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1316633692' post='1034537']

[b]
I don't think its so much that they don't think Scott can catch as much as it is they think Leonard is such a great pass blocker as far as blitz pickup goes. Pass Pro isn't exactly Scott's strongsuit.
[/b]
IMO they give the Leonard the nod over Scott so that, even if the play calls for leonard to go out to receive, if they audible out of the play they have a capable back to protect Dalton.
[/quote]

Great observation.

• 2 weeks later...
[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15716567"][b][color="#3b5998"]28 minutes ago[/color][/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15716567"][b][color="#3b5998"]Scott getting more touches since Lewis took over rotation[/color][/b][/url]
Marvin Lewis took over the substitution pattern of RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/1674146/bernard-scott"][color="#3b5998"]Bernard Scott[/color][/url] for RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/406400/cedric-benson"][color="#3b5998"]Cedric Benson[/color][/url] the last two weeks. It was difficult leaving the decision on the coordinator and running backs coach. Scott managed eight touches one week after receiving seven -- both double the previous high. "I think it works out better," Lewis said. "It’s good because Bernard isn't going to let me forget."

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318284247' post='1043488']
[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15716567"][b][color=#3b5998]28 minutes ago[/color][/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15716567"][b][color=#3b5998]Scott getting more touches since Lewis took over rotation[/color][/b][/url]
Marvin Lewis took over the substitution pattern of RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/1674146/bernard-scott"][color=#3b5998]Bernard Scott[/color][/url] for RB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/406400/cedric-benson"][color=#3b5998]Cedric Benson[/color][/url] the last two weeks. It was difficult leaving the decision on the coordinator and running backs coach. Scott managed eight touches one week after receiving seven -- both double the previous high. "I think it works out better," Lewis said. "It’s good because Bernard isn't going to let me forget."
[/quote]

Eight touches for Scott on Sunday and he made 3 of them count (runs of 7 and 9 yards, along with his 2-yard TD run). Not a bad contribution on an otherwise shitty day for the running game.

Archived