How long will it take players to master Gruden's Offense?

Just thinking about the excuse that the offense is running a completely new system with a rookie qb. I'm trying to convince myself that this is why the Bengals are so flat offensively right now. I've still got images of Brats much more seasoned scheme in my head and the team losing games still.

Just wondering how long it would take for the players to be up to speed with the playbook which only seems half done at the moment? Maybe by week 8 we might see a better offense? I don't know!

I would think it's fairly vanilla so far which is easy for opponents to scheme against. Probably won't see any significant changes until after the bye. Gruden appears to be giving Dalton just enough to have a chance at succeeding without confusing him and creating more mistakes. The WCO is simpler by nature and easier for a small yet crafty QB to succeed (see Jeff Garcia). I think Carson would have benefited from this too and Gruden could have installed it more quickly. Oh wait, forget I mentioned Carson.

I remember Steve young saying it takes 5 year's to learn the west coast offense, and on Sunday
one of the game broadcaster's said that, Gruden run's a modified version of the west coast offense.
but Dalton is picking it pretty fast for a rookie.and it's still in the developing stage with no mini ota's and regular
ota's and with a short training champ.it's still early to say weather player's have gotten Gruden offense or not.
so maybe by the bye week ,we may see more or next year when the Bengals get more help for the offense.

They didn't get to install a whole lot & there's tape of all of it now. Aside from whatever they can add each week they'll have a hard time surprising anyone. It's probably why they keep running that power-left, too; we're only seeing the bread-&-butter core of Gruden's offense right now. It's a work in progress & they need more reps. I'm sure Gruden has ideas for more formations & ways to move guys like Gresham or Scott around but the team is going to have to execute the simple stuff consistently before that can happen.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1317061352' post='1036951']
I would say after 8 weeks it should be clicking. 8 weeks + the 4 preseason games = a full college season, so....
[/quote]

I Think they will be running it better by week 8, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's next year before it's "Clicking". I do think with the group of skill players they have now, that it is a great offense to run.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1317138117' post='1037173']
wasnt it reported that it was so easy anyone could pick it up by the time the season started? by him himself and the players once they started it?
[/quote]

I dont know about that easy, but I have heard that the WC is an easier O to pick up thats why alot of teams like it.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1317138117' post='1037173']
wasnt it reported that it was so easy anyone could pick it up by the time the season started? by him himself and the players once they started it?
[/quote]

Yeaah... Pretty sure you just pulled this out of your ass.

A few games. The offense is really leaning on rookies, new guys and 2d year players who had no offseason to speak of. Actually, when you think about the uphill learning curve for a rookie QB even with a full offseason and with the luxury of being groomed for a year or two as a backup, Dalton has been pretty impressive. He can definitely play in this league. And he'll only get better. We just have to be patient because he (and the offense) are a work in progress.

I think the offense will have expanded exponentially by the end of the season. I also think that the red zone/short yardage woes are as much a product of the abbreviated camp schedule as they are anything else.

The young players are going to get better with reps, but there's been so little time from the end of the lockout to now that, surely, some things just haven't been properly installed. I still don't think this season is a throwaway, but everyone on the Bengals offense is fighting a steep learning curve.

I was thinking about Bob Bratkowski the other day. I believe Mike Brown was right to consider keeping him around with the lockout looming. Even if the system sucked, at least the players would have been on the same page. As soon as it became obvious that Carson Palmer was not coming back, it made sense to jettison #85 and Bratkowski, and start from scratch. It would have taken a rookie quarterback just as long to learn Brat's playbook as it would anybody else's.

Had Palmer not retired, Brat would have been back.

Whatever Gruden is doing he needs to step it up on third downs and in the red zone, that is why this team is 1-2 instead of 3-0 like they should be. Sunday will be a big test because the Bills have shown they can score points, the offense will have to keep up in order for this team to have a chance of victory.

This offense has been horrible in the red zone, why we are not taking of advantage of Gresham and Green's atheletic abilities in the red zone is beyond me.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1317301418' post='1037656']

This offense has been horrible in the red zone, why we are not taking of advantage of Gresham and Green's atheletic abilities in the red zone is beyond me.
[/quote]
I think its because we are being too conservative earlier in the games instead of taking some risks.

[quote name='whodey1971' timestamp='1317312601' post='1037677']
Adjustements: The Niners brought their corners closer to the line of scrimmage, and jammed the WR's coming off the line.

I'm sure there were others, but this one seemed to be the biggest difference (at least to me). It really seemed to disrupt the timing of the offense.
[/quote]
That's when you start throwing the ball underneath to Gresham or to your slot receiver going across the middle.

[quote name='whodey1971' timestamp='1317312601' post='1037677']
Adjustements: The Niners brought their corners closer to the line of scrimmage, and jammed the WR's coming off the line.

I'm sure there were others, but this one seemed to be the biggest difference (at least to me). It really seemed to disrupt the timing of the offense.
[/quote]

Being that the WCO is based on quick throws it would make sense that defenders would make that adjustment, however any OC should anticipate that have something in store to counter that adjustment.

Gruden needs to improve on third downs and in the red zone if this team is going to have success; the defense is playing championship caliber football andspecial teams are solid, it time for the offense carry their weight and join the party. If this team can score 24-30 points a game they will make the playoffs.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1317313002' post='1037679']
That's when you start throwing the ball underneath to Gresham or to your slot receiver going across the middle.
[/quote]
I'm wondering if it's a case of "we haven't installed that part of the playbook yet"? Otherwise, I would be starting to worry about Gruden as an OC if he couldn't make that adjustment because he was too blind to see it.

Come to think of it, a runningback out of the backfield like Leonard or even Scott should've been utilized more in this instance.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1317323728' post='1037705']

Being that the WCO is based on quick throws it would make sense that defenders would make that adjustment, however any OC should anticipate that have something in store to counter that adjustment.

Gruden needs to improve on third downs and in the red zone if this team is going to have success; the defense is playing championship caliber football andspecial teams are solid, it time for the offense carry their weight and join the party. If this team can score 24-30 points a game they will make the playoffs.
[/quote]

I really think people need to keep this whole season in perspective.. I have read some pretty harsh criticisms of Gruden after this loss, and I would like people to think back to the measured and realistic expectations we pretty much all shared before the season started.

There has been a lot to be encouraged about. Dalton has shown that the NFL isn't too big for him, and seems to be able to be what we drafted him for. Green has demonstrated the skill and talent that made him a top 10 pick and even our OL has stepped up some from last year.

What Gruden is trying to do on offense has pretty much never happened in the modern NFL. Take a rookie 2nd round QB, 2 WR first year starters (one rookie), and install a completely new offense with no training camp on your first stint as an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

All this with a team that won 4 games last year.

Of course the offense looks 1 dimensional.. It would look that way most likely with a rookie QB even in an established system. We shouldn't expect the offense to be carrying much of a load this year at all because that would be crazy.

What's important is that we give our young skill players a chance to learn and grow, while Gruden gains his NFL OC legs and installs more of the offense.. Growth... That's what is important right now. From our rookie players to our rookie OC to the playbook.

Hopefully we win some games along the way and have some fun this season... And if by some crazy fucking happenstance we actually make it to the playoffs I thin I would buy a lottery ticket for the first time in my life because some crazy shit is in the works.

Archived