Nugent game winner..

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1317608695' post='1039449']
Here is a video from the opposite endzone of Nuges game winner today!

sorry, it didn't upload right, i'll just add it to youtube and post a link.
[/quote]

I love the vids from the stands.

Thanks.

Did anyone else find it strange that they let the clock run down without trying to run a play or two to get Nugent closer? They had (I think) two timeouts left and a 42-yarder is no sure thing. Dalton and some of the other guys were hand-slapping and happy, as if there was no doubt he was going to make it. The whole scene made me very uneasy.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1317613990' post='1039498']
Did anyone else find it strange that they let the clock run down without trying to run a play or two to get Nugent closer? They had (I think) two timeouts left and a 42-yarder is no sure thing. Dalton and some of the other guys were hand-slapping and happy, as if there was no doubt he was going to make it. The whole scene made me very uneasy.
[/quote]

I think they just had a lot of confidence in him making it. The risk of fumbling the ball for a few extra yards wasn't worth it to them.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1317614244' post='1039499']

I think they just had a lot of confidence in him making it. The risk of fumbling the ball for a few extra yards wasn't worth it to them.
[/quote]

Honestly, I felt pretty confident that Nugent would hit it as long as it wasn't blocked, or a bad snap/hold. Those things worried me more than him missing it, probably biased being an Ohio State fan, but Nugent has always been money in pressure situations. I'll bet I know a recent redheaded kicker that would've missed that kick today, lol.

I have to say, Clark Harris has really been a great addition. I really don't recall a bad snap since he's been here. Brad St Louis was that way for a long time, until he caught the yips... And then it was really painful for awhile.

Not discounting what Nugent has done, since he's been spot-on... but having the continuity of a snapper, holder and kicker has helped a lot.

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1317615005' post='1039505']

Honestly, I felt pretty confident that Nugent would hit it as long as it wasn't blocked, or a bad snap/hold. Those things worried me more than him missing it, probably biased being an Ohio State fan, but Nugent has always been money in pressure situations. I'll bet I know a recent redheaded kicker that would've missed that kick today, lol.
[/quote]

Isnt that the truth. He would have kicked it 20 yards wide right

[/quote]

Absolutely. That is the first thing I said! I was watching the game with my Dad and we were both wondering what the hell was going on. With that much time AND timeout's you would think you would get it closer regardless of who the kicker is as opposed to running down like 30 secs. If he would have missed I believe this would have been a bigger subject for sure

[/quote]

yea they had 2 timeouts and 16 seconds I think. I thought it was a little odd, but they were also already well in FG range and nugent had the wind at his back besides. They probably feared Benson getting stopped for a loss on an obvious running play and making it a longer FG attempt.

[b] [b][size=6]Nugent: 'We need to remember this feeling'[/size][/b][/b]

[b] [b][size=6]Kicker caps comeback for team he cheered as a child[/size][/b][/b]

Mike Nugent was a big Bengals fan growing up in Centerville. Kicking a 43-yard field goal Sunday as time expired to give the Bengals a 23-20 come-from-behind victory against Buffalo held a little more meaning to him.

“It’s a very good feeling, and not just for the obvious,” said Nugent. “But to do it for your team – and when I say your team I mean I grew up a die-hard Bengals fan. I’ve been coming to games my whole life and I’ve watched guys like Jim Breech do it all of the time. It’s one of those things where we need to remember this feeling and bring it into next week.”

Nugent’s kick was his first game-winner in the final two minutes or overtime as a Bengal but the fourth of his career. The last time the Bengals won a game on a final kick as time expired in regulation was Dec. 11, 2005, against Cleveland. The final of that game was also 23-20.

Nugent missed the final seven games of last season with a torn ACL but made 15-of-19 attempts. He has made 11 consecutive field goals going back to last season, including all 10 of his attempts this season. He made three field goals against Buffalo; his others were from 31 and 21 yards.

Rookie quarterback Andy Dalton led the offense 56 yards in seven plays to reach the Buffalo 25-yard line with just under 30 seconds remaining. The Bengals didn’t take another snap, instead letting the clock run down to four seconds before calling timeout.

Buffalo head coach Chan Gailey called timeout before Nugent could attempt the field goal. Nugent went back over to the sideline, took a kick into the net and then headed back out when referee Gene Steratore blew his whistle.

“It happened to me once where I assumed a team was going to call a timeout and they didn’t. I still hit it but it’s one of those things where I can’t ever assume they’re going to call time out,” said Nugent. “When you go out to kick a field goal you’re not out there for a minute waiting. It’s like a free throw; you’re not going to stand out there for a minute during a timeout. I’m just going to keep my routine.”

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111002/SPT02/310020037/Nugent-We-need-remember-feeling-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1317646437' post='1039576']
The wind was strong and pushing right through those uprights. I bet he had a 60 yarder in him.
[/quote]

Yeah the ball looked like it was still rising when it hit the net, plus he split the uprights.

If Nugent missed the kick, w didn't deserve the win IMO. It was a chipshot in those weather conditions.

One thing I have to ask is, where the hell was Leonard 2 weeks ago? We're 3-1 if leonard busted one of those runs @ Denver.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1317615640' post='1039510']
[b]I have to say, Clark Harris has really been a great addition[/b]. I really don't recall a bad snap since he's been here. Brad St Louis was that way for a long time, until he caught the yips... And then it was really painful for awhile.

Not discounting what Nugent has done, since he's been spot-on... but having the continuity of a snapper, holder and kicker has helped a lot.
[/quote]

How good is Clark Harris?

I couldn't remember what our long snapper's name was until you wrote it down.

That good...

[quote name='turningpoint' timestamp='1317656477' post='1039663']

Yeah the ball looked like it was still rising when it hit the net, plus he split the uprights.

If Nugent missed the kick, w didn't deserve the win IMO. It was a chipshot in those weather conditions.

One thing I have to ask is, where the hell was Leonard 2 weeks ago? We're 3-1 if leonard busted one of those runs @ Denver.
[/quote]

Or if Simpson makes that catch. This could've been Dalton's 2nd game winning drive.

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15681040"][b][color="#3b5998"]2 minutes ago[/color][/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15681040"][b][color="#3b5998"]K Nugent perfect, confident as ever[/color][/b][/url]
K [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/552599/mike-nugent"][color="#3b5998"] Mike Nugent[/color][/url] is one of 10 kickers without a missed field goal this year. He's 10 for 10 including a game-winner against Buffalo. He opened the season making his first nine last year, but said he feels more confident kicking now than any point in his career. "That comes from having confidence in everybody around me," he said

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1317666221' post='1039782']

How good is Clark Harris?

I couldn't remember what our long snapper's name was until you wrote it down.

That good...
[/quote]

Yeah I remember when you only heard Brad St Louis' name when we played the Rams.

[quote name='ButchWalkerRokks' timestamp='1317621488' post='1039529']

Absolutely. That is the first thing I said! I was watching the game with my Dad and we were both wondering what the hell was going on. With that much time AND timeout's you would think you would get it closer regardless of who the kicker is as opposed to running down like 30 secs. If he would have missed I believe this would have been a bigger subject for sure[/quote]

You either win or go to overtime.

[/quote]

I didn't care about getting closer...but I thought they should have left enough time on the clock for two plays in case there was a bad snap or something on the first FG attempt. It was still 1st down, so if there was a bad snap, they could have fallen on the ball and tried it again. I guess they have confidence in the snapper and holder though...

[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1317682339' post='1039927']

I didn't care about getting closer...but I thought they should have left enough time on the clock for two plays in case there was a bad snap or something on the first FG attempt. It was still 1st down, so if there was a bad snap, they could have fallen on the ball and tried it again. I guess they have confidence in the snapper and holder though...[/quote]

Good point.

Archived