Bengals offer ticket deal

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1318124463' post='1041749']
OK, I understand the people that are upset, but it happens everywhere else, it's just part of the capitalistic system we live in. Some of us have Direct TV with Sunday ticket. I have for 10 years. This year, if one of you that doesn't have it wanted it, they would have thrown in Sunday ticket free, where even with my discussion with management, I couldn't get free. The reason why is that for every customer that they lose by offering it, they gain 6. Most of us just bitch, but since we like what we pay for, we keep paying for it. Sorry.
[/quote]

True, but when you've lost 25,000 season ticket holders over the past few years maybe you should do something to keep the rest. When it starts to become more beneficial to buy single tickets, that's a problem. A season ticket holder is of more value to the team than someone buying a single game ticket.

Them team is trying to do whatever it can to drum up interest, but they really don't do anything to show they appreciate season ticket holders like the reds do. Retaining their current customers should be just as big of a focus as selling a few single tickets.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1318100352' post='1041699']
I'm a season ticket holder to, but at this point they are trying to sell tickets to games this year not season tickets. This is a way to hopefully get more people in seats this year...dont really understand what season ticket holders are bitching about.
[/quote]

The issue is that the current market does not justify the price and a season ticket holder should get the same break they are giving everyone else.

You bought a COA. They stick you with the regular season "full" ticket price for 2 scrimmage games. They then charge others less than what they are charging you to attend and for that you will get a 20% off discount to the Pro Shop that requires you spending money to get your benefit.

They are walking on very danderious ground with discounted tickets to the masses and no breaks to their primary support system.

Pops was a season ticket holder from 68-09. I was a season ticket holder from 84-10. We are both very happy in our decisions.

I am now and will always be a fan but teh oly way I will ever go back will be win they actually build a team that competes in the layoffs at least 3 of 5 yrs and can win a playoff game.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1318127603' post='1041759']

True, but when you've lost 25,000 season ticket holders over the past few years maybe you should do something to keep the rest. When it starts to become more beneficial to buy single tickets, that's a problem. A season ticket holder is of more value to the team than someone buying a single game ticket.

Them team is trying to do whatever it can to drum up interest, but they really don't do anything to show they appreciate season ticket holders like the reds do. Retaining their current customers should be just as big of a focus as selling a few single tickets.[/quote]

Then just by your logic, they have 25k tickets not sold this year, or about 35 percent of the stadium. As a smart business man, you try to sell the 25k because the rest are ALREADY SOLD. If we compete this year, you're coming back, and if we compete this year, some of the 25k will as well. We do real well, and most of the 25 k do. Negotiate for something this year, don't just whine. It's unattractive.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1318192874' post='1042948']
Then just by your logic, they have 25k tickets not sold this year, or about 35 percent of the stadium. As a smart business man, you try to sell the 25k because the rest are ALREADY SOLD. If we compete this year, you're coming back, and if we compete this year, some of the 25k will as well. We do real well, and most of the 25 k do. Negotiate for something this year, don't just whine. It's unattractive.
[/quote]

Resting on the success of this team to sell your season tickets isn't the greatest idea. Is this promotion really going to bring in many more ticket sales? They're further alienating season ticket holders with this and this promotion likely does more harm than good. All they're doing now is saying if you don't buy season tickets you won't have to buy preseason and you get discounted regular tickets.

Doing something like the reds would be smarter... have some of the money paid for single tickets this year count towards season tickets next year. Make a COA down payment and get X free tickets this year.

I don't know why I'm arguing this cause I truly don't care that much about this specifically. It's just sad that the Bengals treat their season ticket holders so poorly in general. The difference in the way the Reds treat fans and the Bengals do is astounding.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1318195204' post='1042988']

Resting on the success of this team to sell your season tickets isn't the greatest idea. Is this promotion really going to bring in many more ticket sales? They're further alienating season ticket holders with this and this promotion likely does more harm than good. All they're doing now is saying if you don't buy season tickets you won't have to buy preseason and you get discounted regular tickets.

Doing something like the reds would be smarter... have some of the money paid for single tickets this year count towards season tickets next year. Make a COA down payment and get X free tickets this year.

I don't know why I'm arguing this cause I truly don't care that much about this specifically. It's just sad that the Bengals treat their season ticket holders so poorly in general. The difference in the way the Reds treat fans and the Bengals do is astounding.[/quote]

No business majors in the household, I take it. You sure as hell aren't.

Some Random BS....

Business major would have kept his fans in the first place and worked on keeping the season ticket holders before they left.

$130 for two tickets and -$65 dollar voucher...Bengals $65
$1300 for two season tickets next year and two free games each this year -$260...Bengals $1040

Does Direct TV offer single games on Sunday Ticket?.....No they charge you full price for the whole season and all games because that's how they make the most money.

[quote name='BrassBengal' timestamp='1318209610' post='1043089']
Some Random BS....

Business major would have kept his fans in the first place and worked on keeping the season ticket holders before they left.

$130 for two tickets and -$65 dollar voucher...Bengals $65
$1300 for two season tickets next year and two free games each this year -$260...Bengals $1040

Does Direct TV offer single games on Sunday Ticket?.....No they charge you full price for the whole season and all games because that's how they make the most money.
[/quote]
I think you have to buy 4 tickets to get the $65 voucher, not 2. $16.25 a piece in voucher money after spending $260. Makes sense.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1318127603' post='1041759']

Them team is trying to do whatever it can to drum up interest, but they really don't do anything to show they appreciate season ticket holders like the reds do. Retaining their current customers should be just as big of a focus as selling a few single tickets.
[/quote]

I'm a highschool janitor not a business major but this makes sense to me. Kinda important to note that the tickets available were all recently (within 7 years) purchased by consumers as season ticket holders. The base hasn't started at zero it has actually declined dramatically.

There's all kinds of perks for owning season tickets.. If there weren't you wouldn't buy them.

You get first dibs to playoff games. You get a seat when the stadium sells out, without having to search stub-hub and over pay for single seats, and pray you can find some next to each other. You get perks in the pro shop, club seats get $30 free food and drinks.

Maybe during the down times it might seem like you are getting screwed, but that is the nature of the investment. You have the season tickets so you can enjoy the up years, which you hope will be more plentiful than the down years..

If I recall correctly we sold out the stadium since 2003 before this year. That's a good number of consecutive years of season ticket boon to complain about a couple games worth of promotion to try and put some butts in seats.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1318269475' post='1043388']

Go get an education, and take Own with you.
[/quote]

Gator seems to be on point. There are two events that significantly boosted season ticket sales in PBS. 1 - The building of Paul Brown Stadium and 2 - The promise of continued success under Lewis.

Both times the season ticket base eroded to low levels. This time the decline is deeper than the decline after 2002.

Clearly there is a clear alienation of a season ticket holders and your theory of a equal return of season ticket sales with a successful season is false. How? It didn't happen in 2009.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1318274371' post='1043417']

Gator seems to be on point. There are two events that significantly boosted season ticket sales in PBS. 1 - The building of Paul Brown Stadium and 2 - The promise of continued success under Lewis.

Both times the season ticket base eroded to low levels. This time the decline is deeper than the decline after 2002.

Clearly there is a clear alienation of a season ticket holders and your theory of a equal return of season with a successful season is false. How? It didn't happen in 2009.
[/quote]

They had trouble selling out some games in 2009 while sweeping and winning the division.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318274984' post='1043424']

They had trouble selling out some games in 2009 while sweeping and winning the division.
[/quote]

Exactly. Which I think was Gator's point. Simply relying on increased success isn't a great idea to improve/expand your season ticket base.

It happens but clearly it doesn't keep them and it doesn't add them back as quickly as you lost them. Although I'm not a business major.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1318275230' post='1043427']

Exactly. Which I think was Gator's point. Simply relying on increased success isn't a great idea to improve/expand your season ticket base.

It happens but clearly it doesn't keep them and it doesn't add them back as quickly as you lost them. Although I'm not a business major.
[/quote]

Poisoned fanbase and a city full of bandwagon fans.

Some people are more worried about MB getting their money than the enjoyment
they get out of this team.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1318275472' post='1043429']

Poisoned fanbase and a city full of bandwagon fans.

Some people are more worried about MB getting their money than the enjoyment
they get out of this team.
[/quote]

Tru Dat. To be honest, the small crowds have been some of the most fun I've seen in a while. Expectations are low. The people there are the die hards. Much less booing and bad bengal jokes and I would say a pretty good noise level considering the place is empty.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1318269475' post='1043388']

Go get an education, and take Own with you.
[/quote]

Learn how to discuss a topic without attacking the person. I'm quite happy with my engineering degree... sorry i wasn't a business major.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1318276173' post='1043433']

Tru Dat. To be honest, the small crowds have been some of the most fun I've seen in a while. Expectations are low. The people there are the die hards. Much less booing and bad bengal jokes and I would say a pretty good noise level considering the place is empty.
[/quote]

Agreed... it's kind of amazing that the noise level hasn't suffered with the drop off

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1318274371' post='1043417']

Clearly there is a clear alienation of a season ticket holders and your theory of a equal return of season with a successful season is false. How? It didn't happen in 2009.
[/quote]

For some reason, many of you do not understand the words that I am posting. The Bengals have a 66000 seat stadium give or take. 40,000 of those seats are sold for EVERY GAME THIS SEASON whether people come or not. That leaves approximately 26000 seats that I get nothing for unless I sell them. So lets see, am I smarter to focus my marketing on making sure that the 40k that HAVE ALREADY PAID ME get a better deal, or to try to get the 25 K seats filled, even if it takes some discounting? They have to get people out to the game to experience it, in order to get the Season ticket holder base moving in the right direction again. They have a young, interesting team, so you want additional people to see it.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1318280572' post='1043466']

For some reason, many of you do not understand the words that I am posting. The Bengals have a 66000 seat stadium give or take. 40,000 of those seats are sold for EVERY GAME THIS SEASON whether people come or not. That leaves approximately 26000 seats that I get nothing for unless I sell them. So lets see, am I smarter to focus my marketing on making sure that the 40k that HAVE ALREADY PAID ME get a better deal, or to try to get the 25 K seats filled, even if it takes some discounting? They have to get people out to the game to experience it, in order to get the Season ticket holder base moving in the right direction again. They have a young, interesting team, so you want additional people to see it.
[/quote]
This is absolutely correct. All you have to do is look around to see it everywhere. Directv always gave new customers a deal on Sunday Ticket from day one, where existing customers pay full price. Cable companies are constantly offering 3 free months of HBO and Showtime to new customers but not to existing ones. I get a free ticket to Reds games every Monday-Thursday if I want (military), when they expect the stadium to be pretty empty, but not to weekend games where they might lose out on a paying customer when everyone's off work. Cellphone companies do it...lots of businesses do it. In fact, this is the whole concept of a business like PriceLine or Travelocity.

Im not saying they shouldn't show appreciation for the season ticket holders...OF COURSE they should. But that doesn't mean that they should be berated for trying to sell out their stadium. My only thing as far as the marketing is where did he advertise this at? I wouldn't have known about the deal if I wasn't a devoted lurker of these boards, so how has the team gone about advertising this deal?

Not only that, I wonder if the other owners are leaning on Mike Brown from a revenue-sharing standpoint. Having only 40000 people attend these games is directly taking money out of their pockets...isnt it? I don't know that for sure but I would think it does. Not to mention the lost revenues to the local tv affiliate and any advertisers who may have bought advertising during that time slot.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1318280572' post='1043466']

[/quote]

Understand 100%. However, when the schedule gets tougher and if the wins slow down or go away ------- they may lose even more season tickets holders next season because of things like this.

It is really this simple. Build a team that wins 3 out of every 5 yrs, advances in the playoffs 1 in every 3 playoff yrs and a team that can compete for a SB once every 5 yrs and season tickets holders will come back. Continue to build a team that will win 1 in 5 yrs due to schedule weakness with no chance at a SB run and they will continue to drop out.

At this time Mike Brown is trying to do just enough to keep you coming and not enough to build a yr in, yr out contender.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1318276173' post='1043433']

[/quote]

I agree 100%

Archived