Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Tigris

[center][font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=6]Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim[/size][/font][/center][center][img]http://www.blogcdn.com/news.bigdownload.com/media/2011/02/dragonborn11024x768feb23.jpg[/img]

[/center][center]I wanted to make a place where we could go and keep record and possibly help each other out in the Skyrim world.[/center][center]Strategies, people and places of interests, basically anything helpful in the game.

Here's a leaked manual:

[url="http://imgur.com/a/RFee1#yTU7B"]http://imgur.com/a/RFee1#yTU7B[/url]

Here's dungeon gameplay:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbIhpV-KntM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbIhpV-KntM[/url]

Dragon battle:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCycIMmFxZw&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCycIMmFxZw&feature=relmfu[/url]

If I come across anything else other than the normal YouTube.com video, I will post it. Also, there's been one really good article per magazine in the GameInformer the past couple weeks. They're worth reading the next time you get your hands on one.

What kind of character do you plan on being? What race?[/center]

I had three total characters last game.

1) A Dark Elf named Rumuru.I chose some Major Skills that I didn't use much (block, blunt) so it was difficult leveling up (that part didn't bother me much). The part that bothered me was that the special effect he had, due to his race, was that summoned ghost. It sucked. I hated it and you could only use it once a day. I later learned you could conjure up way better help than that. I put about 10 hours into this guy and canned him.

2) My second character was my greatest. He was an Argonian named Slither. He was exactly what I wanted: all sneak and stealth. I stole everything imaginable in every house and castle in the game. I believe I made it to Master sneak status. I was good in some magic like restoration, illumination, and conjuration (when I needed it, didn't fight much). I would run through dungeons and whatnot, take what I needed, and jetted out when I became detected. It was a pretty good time. I put 88 hours into this guy I believe. I quit him because I did a cheat that allowed you to draw your bow, release it, an millions of a certain item, whatever else you had equipped, fell to the ground. I glitch cheated and it ruined my character. Oh, the pressures of being a bad ass!

3) My final character was a mix between a knight and a mage. His name was Baelian and he was a High Elf that was a great magician. I decided to be born under the Atriarch (is that right?) star formation to make the game a little harder. This gives you a ton of magica but doesn't allow you to regenerate magica on your own at all. I leveled up quick because I already knew the ropes and knew exactly what I was doing throughout. I played this in half the time (around 45 hours or so) and put the game away a final time about 3 months ago.

I don't know what I will get into this time. I am thinking of a total "jack of all trades" guy just in case I don't end up liking the new sneak, magica, battling aspects. Hopefully I pick the right one for me right off the bat. My passion on there is sneaking and stealing, but I am afraid that won't help me slay those dragons that run rampant through the game.

Thoughts (except for the "what a loser" ones)?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1320112536' post='1054430']
ME sucks. :) I really didn't like it. I seem to be the only one that feels that way.
[/quote]
yes. yes you are. Mass Effect is awesome. I don't like the combat so much, but the atmosphere and story is just incredible. Just a badass space opera

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1320165729' post='1054701']
yes. yes you are. Mass Effect is awesome. I don't like the combat so much, but the atmosphere and story is just incredible. Just a badass space opera
[/quote]

I thought the combat was horrible. I gave it a couple good hours of gameplay before I turned it off. Some dude turned on another dude or something and killed him I think. I can't remember. It was a while ago.

Shortest game I've played: Dead Space. I gave it about 12 minutes and never played it again. Those creatures I was fighting looked ridiculous.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1320189137' post='1054823']
I don't like the look of the gameplay at all. Not much of a fan of FP games anyway, and watching the character run around with his two hands in the air looks pretty silly. Thanks for saving me $60.
[/quote]

If your hands did 20 different kinds of cool shit, you'd hold them up for everyone to see too.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1320198905' post='1054882'] If your hands did 20 different kinds of cool shit, you'd hold them up for everyone to see too.[/quote]

Well, that's one way to look at it!

I hope you enjoy it. Somehow I don't think it's quite for me. First-person stuff drives me nuts.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1320184075' post='1054786']

I thought the combat was horrible. I gave it a couple good hours of gameplay before I turned it off. Some dude turned on another dude or something and killed him I think. I can't remember. It was a while ago.

Shortest game I've played: Dead Space. I gave it about 12 minutes and never played it again. Those creatures I was fighting looked ridiculous.
[/quote]

ME isn't really about the combat. People forget, the game IS an RPG. ME1's combat was MUCH worse than ME2. But the story was better. And it had more collectables and RPG elements to it. I hear they're going to add more RPG elements to ME3 and go a little back to the roots. ME2 felt a little too casual to me. But I also so that they're throwing in a fucking multiplayer for ME3. Like...what? The worst part about the ME games is the combat. I hate how with this generation of systems they just try to force multiplayer into everything.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1320189137' post='1054823']
I don't like the look of the gameplay at all. Not much of a fan of FP games anyway, and watching the character run around with his two hands in the air looks pretty silly. Thanks for saving me $60.
[/quote]
lolwut? thats ridiculous. you can always play it in 3rd person, if you want. that option is always there. but elder scrolls games are best played in FP. i suggest you at least try it. I'm hearing nothing but excellent things from people who are playing the leaked copy right now.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1320246205' post='1055037']
lolwut? thats ridiculous. you can always play it in 3rd person, if you want. that option is always there. but elder scrolls games are best played in FP. i suggest you at least try it. I'm hearing nothing but excellent things from people who are playing the leaked copy right now.
[/quote]
Thanks for the tip. While I've heard of the series, I've never played it before, so I didn't know it could be played in the 3rd person as well. That makes it much more tempting for me.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1320246205' post='1055037']
[/quote]

It does look a little silly when the two hands are running around. Like watching someone doing the Thriller Zombie dance. The one hand movement, like from Oblivion looks better.

Gonna wait a long time on Skyrim. I want to read only reviews from people who have won the game. Playing it for 10-15 hours and saying it's the bees knees isn't going to address the concerns I have. Oblivion was amazing for the first 10-15 hours, too. Then, it turned into an obnoxious, repetitive grind. I think I closed three gates, saw there were another 6 or so left to go, and quit. It just got really boring after awhile. And with absolutely everything leveling up with you, it really took a lot out of the fun out of leveling up.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I need more than pretty graphics and bitchin' hands of doom to get me to grind... I'd rather not grind at all.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1320210602' post='1054917']

Well, that's one way to look at it!

I hope you enjoy it. Somehow I don't think it's quite for me. First-person stuff drives me nuts.
[/quote]

What games do/have you enjoyed? You can play 3rd person, but it was HORRIBLE in Oblivion. The control was difficult and the character's movement was insanely N64ish.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1320326043' post='1055337']

It does look a little silly when the two hands are running around. Like watching someone doing the Thriller Zombie dance. The one hand movement, like from Oblivion looks better.

Gonna wait a long time on Skyrim. I want to read only reviews from people who have won the game. Playing it for 10-15 hours and saying it's the bees knees isn't going to address the concerns I have. Oblivion was amazing for the first 10-15 hours, too. Then, it turned into an obnoxious, repetitive grind. I think I closed three gates, saw there were another 6 or so left to go, and quit. It just got really boring after awhile. And with absolutely everything leveling up with you, it really took a lot out of the fun out of leveling up.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I need more than pretty graphics and bitchin' hands of doom to get me to grind... I'd rather not grind at all.
[/quote]

It had at least 10 gates, maybe 15. There was one outside every city and in random countryside areas throughout the game. One town had 2 gates for sure right beside each other. More gates start popping up towards the end. I eventually just ran through them, didnt fight one person. Ran through, got th Sigil stone, and went to the next one.

I didn't think it was too repetitive. I guess it really depends on what you liked to do. I loved to go make potions and stuff and eventually when you get into the Arcane University through the Mage's Guild, you can enchant items. You could
Make yourself a human chameleon if you had enough soul gems. I loved it.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1320358923' post='1055590']
It had at least 10 gates, maybe 15. There was one outside every city and in random countryside areas throughout the game. One town had 2 gates for sure right beside each other. More gates start popping up towards the end. I eventually just ran through them, didnt fight one person. Ran through, got th Sigil stone, and went to the next one.

I didn't think it was too repetitive. I guess it really depends on what you liked to do. I loved to go make potions and stuff and eventually when you get into the Arcane University through the Mage's Guild, you can enchant items. You could
Make yourself a human chameleon if you had enough soul gems. I loved it.
[/quote]

I did the same thing, running through them and only killing people at certain points (I was obsessed with collecting high end weapons and armor, LOL).

None of it really got repetitive to me.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1320360822' post='1055610']

I did the same thing, running through them and only killing people at certain points (I was obsessed with collecting high end weapons and armor, LOL).

None of it really got repetitive to me.
[/quote]

I'd go on big quests and stuff for my armor and whatnot. If you go down into ruins (not caves), there was usually some pretty decent stuff down there. I noticed that you got the coolest stuff by doing missions through the guilds. Mage's Guild always had some cool stuff. I think the Dark Brotherhood had some good things too. I never finished the Fighter's Guild.

One big thing I am hoping for in Skyrim is that you'll be able to display your items neatly in your house. For the Xbox version anyway, it was difficult as heck to put something on a stand or shelf to show off. It made no sense because you spent your gold on the furnishings, but couldn't use them. That was my biggest problem with the game... finding those cool ass artifacts scattered throughout the game but having them lay sideways on your kitchen table. It looked stupid.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1320358470' post='1055581']
What games do/have you enjoyed? You can play 3rd person, but it was HORRIBLE in Oblivion. The control was difficult and the character's movement was insanely N64ish.
[/quote]
NWN was the last of this type of game that I really enjoyed. Dragon Age: Origins was pretty decent, but the sequel was meh.

Basically, I just prefer 3rd person, top-down to first person in most cases. Most FP games annoy the crap out of me in one way or another.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1320388216' post='1055705']
NWN was the last of this type of game that I really enjoyed. Dragon Age: Origins was pretty decent, but the sequel was meh.

Basically, I just prefer 3rd person, top-down to first person in most cases. Most FP games annoy the crap out of me in one way or another.
[/quote]
NWN?

What about Call of Duty? It's a FP but everyone loves it. Gears of War is a good FP.Play those? I use to be the same as you but then I started playing COD 2, Gears, and Oblivion... that was it for me. Never went back.

Metal Gear Solid was a pretty good 3rd person. Tomb Raider too.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1320388216' post='1055705']

[/quote]

Neverwinter Nights, eh? So you like Bioware games mostly then compared to Bethesda FP RPGs like Elder Scrolls and the Fallout series. Understandable. I like both types pretty much easily. It works better in the Fallout series than ES I think because the Fallout games are shooters also. You should check those out also, if you haven't already. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1320428475' post='1055872'] NWN? What about Call of Duty? It's a FP but everyone loves it. Gears of War is a good FP.Play those? I use to be the same as you but then I started playing COD 2, Gears, and Oblivion... that was it for me. Never went back. Metal Gear Solid was a pretty good 3rd person. Tomb Raider too.[/quote]

Don't really need simulated war crap. There's enough of that going on in the world as it is. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1320439385' post='1055949'] Neverwinter Nights, eh? So you like Bioware games mostly then compared to Bethesda FP RPGs like Elder Scrolls and the Fallout series. Understandable. I like both types pretty much easily. It works better in the Fallout series than ES I think because the Fallout games are shooters also. You should check those out also, if you haven't already. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas[/quote]

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Archived