Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Tigris

Had a mini marathon tonight, did a quest involving centurions

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarven_Centurion_%28Skyrim%29

Brutal stuff. Spent 4 hours going through a couple of areas that had these. It was intense. Probably a bad idea to even attempt at a level 17, but I made it through. Now I'm all pumped up and need to go to bed lol

Thank you RD. That's the only city I've not been to yet. Dawnstar shouldn't even be considered a city. The place is super small. Reminds me of Applewood (IIRC) in Oblivion.

Anyone know the map size in comparison to Oblivion? I would say bigger but smaller cities. And, I love the map layout. I hate going around the mountains, but it has a very real feel to it.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1322529280' post='1068956']
So how does everybody do the guilds? Do you finish 1 at a time or more?

I do multiple, I'm doing Theives (for the sneak), Dark Brotherhood (for the horse and armor), and Mage (for self healing)
[/quote]

I did the the college first, companions second, started thieves and quit, and now I'm well into the brotherhood. My favorite ianprobably the brotherhood so far. Another good one is either joining the imperials or stormcloaks. I chose stormcloaks. It may even be the main quest??? I just know I helped do some cool stuff.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1322937679' post='1070233']
I am getting this game for X-mas. Any tips for a guy who has never played a genre like this before? Do's and Dont's?
[/quote]

That's the beauty of it. There is no wrong way to play it. If you want to be a ruthless savage and kill everyone in your path, you usually can. If you want to be a scandelous sneak and lie to everyone for personal gain, you can. If you want to be a Hank Hill, always help people, always do the right thing, you can.

I started out being a good guy; helped, didn't lie... but the taste of blood changed me and now I'm a hazard to everyone's health. I'm trying to change back into a good, civil man, but the temptations always get the best of me. I eat people.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1322972135' post='1070267']
[url="http://kotaku.com/5863694/did-the-skyrim-patch-make-things-better-or-worse"]http://kotaku.com/58...better-or-worse[/url]
[/quote]

I've never seen that happen, though I am an Xbox 360 guy. I've had no problems at all. I have the occasional lag, but it's not even bothersome. Weird stuff.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1323135096' post='1071634']

I've never seen that happen, though I am an Xbox 360 guy. I've had no problems at all. I have the occasional lag, but it's not even bothersome. Weird stuff.
[/quote]
Yeah, I thought it was pretty strange to say the least. Glad it doesn't seem to be happening to anyone here..

[quote name='VonBlade' timestamp='1323219738' post='1071880']
My only dislike for this is that all the guilds are the same.
New guy, one quest, shit hits fan, everyone dies, you're the boss, now do random fetch quests.
[/quote]

You're tired of being the boss?!?!

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1323361540' post='1072212']
If you're into alchemy... you HAVE to do the Crimson Ninroot quest in Blackreath (below Dwarven ruins). It's a good one.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I've had the quest activated for a long time now, just haven't done it.

I'm a level 24 khajit (with bengal stripe-like face paint), what is everyone else?

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1323363813' post='1072223']

Thanks for the heads up. I've had the quest activated for a long time now, just haven't done it.

I'm a level 24 khajit (with bengal stripe-like face paint), what is everyone else?
[/quote]

I love how they don't allow the cats inside Whiterun. There's a little cat camp outside the main gate. Makes me laugh.

Anyway, I'm a 47, maybe 48 Breton. 100 in smithing, 100 in enchanting. Once you hit those two, you're basically unkillable. I saved it last night after I leveled to 100 in enchanting and enchanted my armor (dragonscale) because I wanted to see how tough the armor was now... killed 10-15 guards in about 3 minutes. I turned Whiterun into a ghost town. The only way I should be able to die is if I fall off a cliff. it's crazy how good you cab enchant items.

Cool to see some you just as geeked out over this game as I am. I've been a huge fan of TES since Morrowind. I put in so much time into Morrowind and Oblivion and just like i did those two, I'm addicted to Skyrim as well. Between full time school and work, it's torture trying to get enough time in to play.

I'm a level 42 Dunmer named Brindisi Hlervu. I've sort of been balancing out the skills I use most. The only skill I've reached 100 on is sneaking, as I play as a stealthy illusionist. I hardly even started the main quest (just arrived at High Hrothgar for the first time), but I completed the main quests for the College of Winterhold and the Thieves Guild. The Nightingale Armor is badass. I mostly use a duel wield of Chillrend and the Nightingale Blade and use the Mace of Molag Bal to capture souls and recharge my gear. Also, with having my archery perks up a lot, I deal good damage with my Nightingale Bow. The critical damage aspect is great as I can kill almost any humanoid enemy with one head shot. I'm currently working on upping my smithing so I can make all my equipment to the maximum legendary status. The stealth skills and decapitations are one of my favorite additions - nothing is more satisfying than creeping up behind a bandit while invisible and becoming uncloaked just as you slit their throat.

Since gaining higher levels, I've found the dragons to be drastically harder. The early Dragons and Blood Dragons were easy to kill but from the Frost/Flame Dragons up to the Ancient Dragons... they kick my ass. Dunmer have a 50% resistance to fire, and in addition I have a necklace for 15% and a shield for 50% and a Dragon's fire breath still depletes my life to near nothing... am I missing something? According to my mathematical skills 50 + 50 + 10 = 110. With 100% resistance equally immunity, why the hell am I still so weak to fire? Any of you having trouble in such regards?

One thing I'm disappointed in is the elimination of custom spell creation. As a stealthy character, I miss the chameleon spell as well. The invisibility doesn't seem to have the same effectiveness as previous Elder Scroll games. Enemies can still detect and spot you while you're invisible, which I don't get.

Overall, despite some minor frame rate issues, I've had no problems and think the game is great. I definitely enjoy how much more interactive NPCs are and how certain things happen based on your actions and decisions. I've already had 3 Dark Brotherhood Assassins try to kill me in my travels and had Hired Thugs try to kill me for stealing. I married the one dark elf chick from the college and have a home in Whiterun. Your spouse acts as an easily accessible merchant and you also get income every day from apparently running a store.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1323469017' post='1072728']
I haven't played any of the Elder Scroll games. Is this like Dragon Age? Sounds a little bit like WoW without the multi-player. Is out for both PC and PS3? Thanks.
[/quote]

I play DA also, to me it's about 3 steps above DA. If you like DA you should love Elder Scrolls.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1323469017' post='1072728']
I haven't played any of the Elder Scroll games. Is this like Dragon Age? Sounds a little bit like WoW without the multi-player. Is out for both PC and PS3? Thanks.
[/quote]

I've never played DA but my friend has and hw raves about Skyrim and never DA. Also, if you've played Fable... totally kicks the shit out of it; not even in the same ballpark.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1323478148' post='1072747']

I play DA also, to me it's about 3 steps above DA. If you like DA you should love Elder Scrolls.
[/quote]
That's a pretty good recommendation right there. I played DA a lot and liked it a lot, (Baldur's Gate was way better), so it sounds like Skyrim would be one to get. Thanks.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1323522169' post='1072793']
I just picked up TES Oblivion Deluxe Edition for $6.24 on Steam. If I like it, I'll come back and give this one a shot next.
[/quote]

Oblivion is great, but Skyrim is better. The graphics are the first thing you notice when you turn on Skyrim. Much sharper, cleaner.

In Skyrim when you talk to someone and they have nothing for you in terms of game knowledge or quests, they'll one line you and it doesn't allow you to engage the character in conversation unlike Oblivion. It saves you a lot of time.

Skyrim's leveling system is WAY better than Oblivion. It doesn't limit your play style if you want to change from a sneaker to a blunt warrior. I love the new system. The perk tree is amazingly intelligent.

One thing that has happened to me a few times in both... glitching. I'm on a quest and this dog I'm following gets stuck on the side of the building. WTF!? I had to abandon the quest. I wonder if he's still there. It's irritating but seldom happens so it's acceptable I guess.

Anyone into pickpocketing? I've done it once for a quest. Worth it?

Archived