Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Tigris

[quote name='Bengal Migration' timestamp='1323558945' post='1072851']
Good to know Skyrim is a big step forward. Should make it an easy decision if I enjoy Oblivion at all..
[/quote]

Tru dat.

On Oblivion, make sure you check out everything each race has to offer before you make your character (well, same w/ Skyrim). Make sure your major skills are things you'll use a lot because that's how you level. In my time playing I've NEVER used blunt and rarely use block, though they may come in handy. They're definitely not essentials to game play.

Also, quick tip/cheat. I can't say this for every gate, but over half of them you can run through them, close them, and be done; not having to fight one creature. Just run to where you need to go bypassing everything.

Let us know how you like/dislike it.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1323698629' post='1074388']
I figured out how to cast spells. I thought I read somewhere how to tie your favorites into keys 1-8 on the keyboard. That's my next thing to figure out.
[/quote]

Skyrim or oblivion? On the xbox you add them to your favorite and you have two hot keys (left and right on the d pad). Idk anything about the computer

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1323919719' post='1075172']
Skyrim or oblivion? On the xbox you add them to your favorite and you have two hot keys (left and right on the d pad). Idk anything about the computer
[/quote]
I figured this out the other day. I considered, briefly, about getting the PS3 version but then realized I would have to hassle with my Call of Duty playing fifteen year old son to get any game time. The PC choice was pretty easy.

Have you guys ever checked out Can You Play It? It's a website that looks at your system and tells you if you your rig meets the minimum and recommended requirements. It's pretty handy and even recommended a video card upgrade. That was delivered today and I'm going to install it tonight. I'm looking forward to cranking up the graphics in this game. I've done this in the past and look at it as a $200 game so it better be worth it.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1324423734' post='1077531']
A little help for horders like myself. While you can't fast travel while carrying over your allotted weight, you can fast travel while over weight if you're on your horse.
[/quote]

Good looking out.

You can also take a potion to carry more weight and then fast travel. That's what I've been doing. This dragon parts weigh so much.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1324558927' post='1077931']
Good looking out.

You can also take a potion to carry more weight and then fast travel. That's what I've been doing. This dragon parts weigh so much.
[/quote]

You can also make your follower carry some items for you.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1324605757' post='1078131']
My character wanders alone. I've tricked and killed two people who trusted me. One of them
I've eaten.
[/quote]
I want to eat people.

Only a two day wait..

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1324669575' post='1078313']
I want to eat people.

Only a two day wait..
[/quote]

:lol:

Look into what each race brings to the table before selecting. It can really help out with your style of gameplay. You're going to shit your pants.

Also... something cool happened to me last night. I fast traveled to Markarth and there was a dead dragon in the middle of town and I just starting absorbing its soul. They killed it by themselves apparently; pretty awesome.

Anyone have any shouts that are just great? The only one I really like is the one that freezes the enemy... the rest are just there and I rarely, if ever, use. I have like 10 dragon souls saved up just in case I come into contact with some shouts I really want.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1324673271' post='1078330']

:lol:

Look into what each race brings to the table before selecting. It can really help out with your style of gameplay. You're going to shit your pants.

Also... something cool happened to me last night. I fast traveled to Markarth and there was a dead dragon in the middle of town and I just starting absorbing its soul. They killed it by themselves apparently; pretty awesome.

Anyone have any shouts that are just great? The only one I really like is the one that freezes the enemy... the rest are just there and I rarely, if ever, use. I have like 10 dragon souls saved up just in case I come into contact with some shouts I really want.
[/quote]
Any beginner tips for me? I've never played the Elder Scroll series. I saw on youtube a sweet green sword i should get for levels 1-22 or so.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1324674106' post='1078336']
Any beginner tips for me? I've never played the Elder Scroll series. I saw on youtube a sweet green sword i should get for levels 1-22 or so.
[/quote]

At first you're going to do so many thing you shouldn't do because you're afraid you'll miss something. Just know, there is something that is going to be better in the game somewhere. There always is and even if there isn't, you can eventually make something better if you so choose. There's no need to pick up every little dagger with a spell on it (well, maybe for enchanting reasons [you disenchant magical items once and always know how to put that enchantment, but more powerfully, on other weapons] ). When you lock onto a book and it says its worth is 50-75 gold or more, read it because it helps you level yours skills. You can then drop it, There's really no need to keep and sell anything worth less than 250 gold at first because if you join a guild, you'll make your money quick. If you think you're going to thieve, you just need to pick up enough money to buy lockpicks. After you get a bunch of picks, you'll be good to go money-wise if that's the route you choose. You'll find some cool stuff in chests and cases throughout the game; some worth thousands of gold.

My best advice is to join a guild immediately and work it (after exploring the land - you're going to be amazed of the layout and real feel it gives you.). You'll get a good number of gold under your belt and you'll naturally gain experience from doing the quests. The College of Winterhold is for mages, the Thieve's Guild is for thieves, the Dark Brotherhood is for sneaky assassins, and The Companions are a fighter's guild which focuses on any sort of combat you prefer.

When you choose your race, do some background research first. Read what they are good at because each race has its own special attributes that the other races only somewhat offer or don't offer at all. It doesn't mean that you can't be an Orc (an Orc is a heavy weaopon and armor battle guy) and sneak around a lot, it just means he is going to start out much lower in that craft that say the Khajiit (the cat guy who is a great thief and hand to hand combat, quick and agile guy) will. For instance, I'm a Breton who is good in magic and fighting... I started out using a lot of magic but have snuck around so much, my sneak is higher than any magical skill I currently have. An Orc sneaking around would just look funny in my opinion... I'm so use to them being blunt warriors as they always have been.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1324852036' post='1079818']
Whiterun?

You noob.

What race did ya choose? Why? What's your style?
[/quote]
I chose the Khajit so I could be sneaky, but..

I haven't been able to pickpocket anyone yet. There's so much to do in this game, it's unreal. Does anyone have a hard time ready the small font? Is there any way I can change that?

How do I cast spells? Does that come after I go to the college? I really want to cast some sweet spells on people.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1324853881' post='1079823']
I chose the Khajit so I could be sneaky, but..

I haven't been able to pickpocket anyone yet. There's so much to do in this game, it's unreal. Does anyone have a hard time ready the small font? Is there any way I can change that?

How do I cast spells? Does that come after I go to the college? I really want to cast some sweet spells on people.
[/quote]

I don't know about changing it... I've only not been able to read like 2-3 things.

If you go into your menu where you can level up and go to your items, go over to MAGIC. There will be your list of spells. You can go into each category and look at what you can use. If you want to use that spell, you go to it and put it in either hand... say you want "FLAMES" on your left hand... Go to FLAMES and then press Left Trigger. Then say you want some Restoration spell on your right hand, go to it and press Right Trigger.

To use the favorites/quick key/hot key route (which I suggest):

Go through your spells and your inventory. Press Y or whatever it is to put the item or spell into your favorites (I think it's Y for XBOX anyway). When you select a few of your favorite things, go to your favorites by clicking Down on the D-Pad or maybe it's Y... something. You'll see the Favorites Menu pop up down on the bottom left of your screen. You can access your quick things like this instead of jumping in and out of the MAGIC or ITEMS screens every time you want to equip something.

ALSO - VERY IMPORTANT. Use the QUICK TAP or HOT KEY function in the Favorites Menu. When you go down to your Favorites while playing, you can hold Left on the D-Paid for #1 Hot Key for an item or spell in your favorites and then go to another one and do the same but hold Right on the D-Pad for #2. Now, when in game and playing, and say you put FLAMES on your #1 (which was from where you were in Favorites and held down Left D-Pad), all you have to do to equip Flames on one hand it press Left on the D-Pad. If you want FLAMES on both hands, you just tap Left on the D-Paid twice real quick. If you want FLAMES on one and the Restoration spell on the other, you just hit Left and then Right on the D-Pad while playing and they'll come up.

You can also do this with weapons; it doesn't have to be magic. You might even be able to do this with potions... I've yet to try.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1324868821' post='1079855']
I love it so far, I just can't tell what it's saying at the top and it saddens me.
[/quote]
I play with my glasses on. All it's saying up there is "Milk Thistle Added" or "100 Gold Removed". If you listen to the computer you're talking to, he or she often tells you what you're getting and if you go through your inventory you'll be able to tell what it is that was taken or given.

About changing... when you press start I think the middle option is SETTINGS or something like that; I can't remember. You may be able to do something there. I have to admit, I haven't been bored enough to check out that aspect of the game yet.

Also, buying the house in Whiterun (you have to do missions for the Jarl there) is a huge help. If you don't want to buy all the crap to put inside it, whatever, but buy the actual house for the storage. You'll definitely need something to store all the shit you're going to be picking up along the way.

And I can't remember how I exactly went about it, but you can also buy a house in Windhelm, or at least I did anyway (I think it was after I joined and did some missions for the Stormcloak leader). It's huge and really nice. I just prefer my little shack in Whiterun. It's more centralized and I keep my hoe there... before I put a steel arrow through her heart; cheating bitch.

• 1 month later...

Archived