Mike Brown wanted Mallet instead of Dalton

During the draft I was very against drafting Green for a couple reasons. One, we had two young guys starting at the end of the year (Simpson, Caldwell) who did well and a 2nd year guy in Shipley who caught 50 balls as a rookie. Not to mention Gresham who can split out as a WR. The second was because our offensive line was such a mess last year (with our scheme) that I didn't think drafting a WR made any sense especially when we didn't even have a QB to throw him the ball. Well, Dalton in round 2 fixed that hole. Gruden's style compliments our OL well enough to get by. The future looks bright.

There are concerns about Mallet between the ears. You can't coach or scheme around that. Dalton my not have the arm. but he does have it everywhere else. And I would be willing to bet his arm will get stronger..

I was never a fan of Mallet, but didn't know what to think of Dalton. I did know that I liked what I was seeing from Gruden, and he positively looked like he had just lifted the "Darya-ye Noor" and no one was the wiser at the draft presser.

Mike Brown is a QB guy, and leading up to the draft, between arm and assessment of "pro readiness'" a lot if folks put Mallet at the top. I think he can be a good QB, but I'm glad we have Dalton. I love the intangibles aspect the most. I also was put off by Mallet a bit, re his between the ears and off-field stuff.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1319987378' post='1052488']
Surprised ESPN is just coming out with it. It wasn't exactly a secret. [/quote]

Or maybe they despise the fact that they haven't got much to complain about on the Bengals since the quitter and the two divas have left,so they're dragging up old shit to try and make it look like dissension.

I'm as unsurprised as it's possible to be.

[quote name='cpalmer2004' timestamp='1319987199' post='1052484']
Just heard it on ESPN that Mike Brown wanted Ryan Mallet instead of Andy Dalton. Sheftner went on to say that Gruden and others talked him into Dalton.

Glad we got Dalton but I think Mallet will be good to learning under Brady.
[/quote]

WHOA! F'n thieves! That was said early (10:15ish AM) on the WLW pregame show.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1319990458' post='1052495']
During the draft I was very against drafting Green for a couple reasons. One, we had two young guys starting at the end of the year (Simpson, Caldwell) who did well and a 2nd year guy in Shipley who caught 50 balls as a rookie. Not to mention Gresham who can split out as a WR. The second was because our offensive line was such a mess last year (with our scheme) that I didn't think drafting a WR made any sense especially when we didn't even have a QB to throw him the ball. Well, Dalton in round 2 fixed that hole. Gruden's style compliments our OL well enough to get by. The future looks bright.
[/quote]
We still need interior line help.

[quote name='BlackBengal' timestamp='1320025690' post='1053853']
This story doesn't even make sense. If Mike Brown wanted Mallet we would have drafted Mallet. Brown does what he wants.
[/quote]

This is the internet. Making sense is not a requirement.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1320029123' post='1053910']
We still need interior line help.
[/quote]

Not with the #4 pick we don't need an interior offensive line help!

Archived